Expect the unexpected

Bookshop

Kyuhyun thought that he heard wrongly. He stopped massaging her hand and looked at her "Are you serious?"

"Yes" Sungmin smile.

Though he was the one who suggested the marriage, he actually doubted that she would agree, and when she did agree, it was like a fairytale dream came true. And being a gentleman, he should propose properly. That was what he always wanted when he met the woman that he loved. 

"Wait here" and Kyuhyun went to Sungmin's kitchen. 

He came back after washing his hands and holding something. He then took her hand and with one knee on the floor, he said, "Marry me, Lee Sungmin"

Sungmin giggled. Kyuhyun was so funny and romantic at the same time! And he looked so comical smiling like an idiot, waiting for her answer. Though still giggling, she felt so touch that Kyuhyun still care enough to propose to her properly. She didn't realised that her eyes started teary. 

"Yes, Mr Cho Kyuhyun, I will marry you" she said, wiping tears in her eyes but later laughed when he put on a plastic ring from a mineral water bottle onto her finger!

Still wiping her tears, she said "Kyu, you are so funny. But I want to thank you for what you are doing. You sacrifice all this for me and I just hope one day, you will not regret this decision...."

Kyuhyun cut in "I won't regret this and trust me, this is one of the best decisions that I've made, and I hope that you will accept me without regrets too"

"I have made up my mind and I have no regrets"

"Great! If you are ok with this plastic ring for the time being, I promise you I will get a proper wedding bands for us"

"Let me get the rings. You need the money for your studies"

"I have savings, don't worry about it. And I will let you know once I have obtained the marriage licence, and the priest, and the date.... and don't worry about the wedding dress too. My student's mother has a wedding dress boutique. I will talk to her and if she's ok to help, we can go there to see if you would like to try any wedding dress"

"Oh my God! I never thought I would really wear a wedding dress!!"

"You need to submit the marriage certificate next week, right, so that will give us 1 week to get everything done. I will talk to my buddy to help us book the priest, and then talk to my student's mother tomorrow, and then I let you know, ok? We can close the bookshop early on Monday to visit her boutique".

"This is like a dream. Eventough we are not marrying for real, I feel very happy and surreal".

"Who say we are not marrying for real?"

"Kyu, you are still studying and you need to concentrate on your studies first. Like I said, I don't want to tie you down with marriage"

"And I told you we can work things out, right?" Kyuhyun smile, and then added "Ok, anyway, it's late. You need to rest. I will try to get things done tomorrow morning and I will update you when I come to the bookshop in the afternoon, alright?"

Sungmin nodded, and said "thanks Kyu"

"Good night Sungmin and thanks for dinner!" Kyuhyun smile at her, took his bag, wave at her, and walked out.

Sungmin took a deep breath. She can't believe that she's getting married!! She looked at her plastic ring and smile. Surprisingly, Kyuhyun managed to get the plastic ring from a bottle that roughly fit her finger size, albeit a little big! Haha, he proposed with a plastic ring! 

"Kyuhyun... my husband-to-be. How do I feel about him? Ermmmm I like him, because.... he's so caring, so gentleman, so hardworking, responsible, have a good attitude, know what he's doing, filial to his family, have gorgeously good looks, funny and romantic..." Sungmin smile to herself, and added "definitely husband material!! But am I the right girl for him? He will have his masters degree, and I don't even go to uni. But he said he don't regret it. Haiz, I don't know. Let's just go with the flow and like what he said, we can work it out later" Sungmin said to herself, took a deep breath again and got up to call it a night.

It was a busy day at the bookshop the next morning. A group of tourist came into the bookshop and asked for a travel book on Australia, and the rest started looking around and some browsed some books. They ended up buying the travel book, magazines and some fiction books.

She got 2 missed calls from Kyuhyun and a few messages. She read the messages first.

"Good morning, my bride-to-be. Busy at the bookshop? Just wanna tell you that I got the marriage licence, we got the priest and the date. It's this Friday, 1st Dec, at 9am. Sorry that was the only time that the priest is free, so I grab it" and Kyuhyun put a smile emoticon.

"Hi Kyu, yes sorry there was a group of tourist in the bookshop just now. Ok great, Friday is fine"

"And, I managed to talk to Mrs Hollie, my student's mother. We can drop by her boutique anytime this afternoon, before 6pm. She said she does have some ready-made wedding dress and tuxedo. We can either buy or rent"

"Wow, ok, we can close the bookshop at 4pm and go to her boutique. Is it far?"

"It's Bluebell Bridal, at Flinders Lane. It's near to her home, and near to my college and my rented apartment. Maybe after the boutique, if you want, you can visit my apartment."

"I would love to! Ok thanks Kyu for the arrangement. I felt bad coz I didn't do anything!" Sungmin put a sad emoticon, and added, "See you later"

Once they have closed the bookshop, they boarded a train to go to Flinders station, and walked to the Bluebell Bridal. The boutique was a lovely place, neat and tidy and Mrs Hollie and her staff were all very friendly and helpful. She said that she was very surprised to learn that Kyuhyun was getting married but very happy for the couple nonetheless. She kept praising how pretty Sungmin was and got her to follow her staff to try some dresses. She got another staff to chose tuxedo for Kyuhyun too.

Sungmin loved the dresses that she tried. The 1st dress was nice but a bit too long for her. The 2nd one, which she was trying now, was more beautiful, with pretty lace, boat shape neckline, short lacy sleeve, not too flare, and surprisingly, the length was just nice for her. The dress also showed her figure well, especially her slim waist, and the A-line long dress made her look taller. She walked out the dressing area to inform the staff that this dress was ok, and instead of the staff, it was Kyuhyun who was waiting outside.

"Wow, you look so pretty!" Kyuhyun   was smiling handsomely in his tuxedo. He had walked over to the ladies dressing area to show Sungmin his tux, and then Sungmin appeared in her beautiful lace wedding dress. 

"You two look great and so matching!! Let me take a photo of you!! Now come closer dear" Mrs Hollie ushered Sungmin to stand next to Kyuhyun. She snapped a full length, and close ups, and asked for Kyuhyun's phone to take their photo using his phone. 

"Mrs Hollie, is this dress available to buy? I really love it" 

"Yes dear you can have it. It was made to measure for another bride, but she changed her mind on the last minute, so she no longer want it. Ok you can change and I get my staff to wrap and box it ok?" Mrs Hollie smile and gave some instructions to her staff. 

"Thank you, Mrs Hollie" Sungmin said while turning away to go back to the changing area. 

"Mrs Hollie, I will rent this for a week. I can send it for cleaning before I return it back to you"

"No problem, Kyuhyun. Go on and change, I will start writing the invoice" 

They settled the payments and Kyuhyun carried the 2 outfits in two paperbags. The wedding dress was nicely wrapped in a box with plastic lining to protect the dress. Sungmin paid for both her dress and tux rental, eventhough Kyuhyun objected to it. 

Kyuhyun brought her to his apartment, and on the way there, pointed to her his college building. Kyuhyun's apartment was small but neat, with study table at one corner, full with his books and a printer. His bed was neat and the kitchennete has some cereals and few packets of instant noddles. 

Kyuhyun gestured for Sungmin to sit on his bed, and got her a glass of water from his small fridge. He pulled his study chair for him and sit opposite Sungmin. 

"Welcome to my apartment! It's small but I like it. It's near to everything, my college, laundrette, supermarket, cafes, trams, buses..." 

"Not bad. And it's near to Yarra River too. It should be nice during new year!" 

"Yup, I think so. But so far I was only around during new year once, and the cafes were very noisy and rowdy. I was at the bridge waiting for the fireworks when a fight happened. I rushed home and watched the fireworks from my window instead".

"Oh yes, you were mostly at your family home in Seoul during Christmas and New Year"

Kyuhyun moved closer "So, go home with me this Christmas, ok? I want to introduce you to my family" 

"Kyu, your family might not be happy that suddenly you brought home a wife" 

"I told my mum already, don't worry. She actually can't wait to meet you" 

"Really?" 

"Yes, and you have nothing to worry about, coz my family are nice and friendly. We will stay for about a week, then we fly back here. Is that ok with you?" 

"Alright, I will go with you" Sungmin said smiling sweetly at him. 

Kyuhyun tried to tear away his eyes from her lips. "Great, then I will book the tickets. Want to walk along Yarra River later? We can have our dinner at The Waterfront. It's a seafood cafe, and the mixed Sashimi is good"

"Ok why not? Want to go now?" 

"Yup, we can leave our paperbags here. We'll get them later when I send you home" 

They had a great time strolling along Yarra River, and during the dinner, they talked about almost everything, from getting to know each other's habit to their favourite past times. Kyuhyun sent the photos that they took at the boutique to Sungmin's phone and they both praised themselves that they looked really good! 

Though Sungmin told Kyuhyun that she could go back herself, Kyuhyun insisted to send her home. 

He put her paperbag on the sofa and turned to her "I think I saw the staff put a veil in the box too, so later you check and also, it's better to hang the dress. By the way, it's really a beautiful wedding dress. You made the right choice! " he told Sungmin. 

"Yes, I love it. Thank you, Kyu, for everything. I never thought that I will put on a wedding dress one day" 

Kyuhyun moved closer to her, and  pulled her into his arms. Sungmin was surprised, but somehow she felt love, she felt safe, and she felt home. She rest her head on his chest and hugged him back. 

Kyuhyun moved and cupped her face, and bend down to kiss her. She felt his soft lips and it was slow, sweet and full of care and love. He stopped and caressing her face, and kissed her again. 

So, Kyuhyun like her too! She thought she was the only one who like him. 

"Have a good rest, Min. I will take my leave. See you tomorrow at the bookshop" Kyuhyun smile and let her go, and waved goodbye. 

Sungmin's heart felt like bursting. She felt like a school girl who just got her first kiss. It was so sweet and so romantic. How she wished it would last longer. She looked around to have a seat. She needed to sit down to calm her erratic heartbeats....

​​​​