Christmas in Seoul

Bookshop

Mrs Cho had cleaned up Kyuhyun's room and put on a nice clean baby blue new bedsheet with frills at the edges. She even frame up their wedding photo that Kyuhyun sent to her.

Sungmin felt happy that Kyuhyun's family welcome her like a family member. She never had a family eversince her parents passed away and seeing the big family Christmas tree nicely lighted up at a corner, brought tears to her eyes.

She gave Mrs Cho some titbits and a box of Bushell tea from Melbourne. She had done some Christmas shopping too and bought those souvenirs from Queen Victoria market the day before they fly off. She was glad she managed to get each of them a Christmas present, based on how Kyuhyun described them, and she has one for Kyuhyun too.

"Min, let's go up to my bedroom. You can rest and then we can have dinner" Kyuhyun took their bags.

"Yes Sungmin dear, go on and rest. I will call both of you down once dinner is ready" Mrs Cho told her.

"I should help you, Omma"

"Nonsense, you just arrived. Go on and rest first. Kyu, bring her up and let her rest"

"Yes Omma. Come, let's go up, Min"

Sungmin followed Kyuhyun to his room, and wow, the room was nicely done! Kyuhyun whistled and said "Wow, Omma did all these?!!"

"Kyu, that's our wedding photo!!"

"Yeah!! Remind me to thank Omma later! You go ahead and lie down, Min, I will unpack our clothes and put them in the cupboard"

"Kyu, I can unpack myself, just leave mine in the bag first" Sungmin actually was still shy showing her or bra to Kyuhyun. If Kyu unpacked for her, surely he would see all those... 

Kyuhyun walked to her who was seated on the bed, put both his hands on either sides of her, and said "Can you treat me as your full fledge husband, hmm?? Husbands help their wife whenever they can. And I'm going to unpack both our clothing, including all your innerwear" Kyu kissed her lips and smiling while raising his eyebrows.

"I.. I'm just, I still shy, you will see all my..."

" and bra... so? Why can't I see them? "

"Kyu..." Sungmin pushed him shyly. 

Kyuhyun laughed. "ok, ok, I was just teasing you. You should rest or do you want to use the bathroom first? Our toiletries are in that blue bag" 

"I'll use the bathroom. Then I will go down to help your mother" 

They had a great dinner and Mr Cho asked about her bookshop, like was it difficult to manage a small business in Melbourne, and did she worked alone, and how was business, etc.. 

"Business is ok so far, Appa, but actually, Kyu helped me a lot. He suggested a lot of things, like travel books, a reading area, and more genre of books to cater for the serious readers. And he computerised everything! I can just run a report, or print a purchase order, or input data for easy search for books. Thanks to him, I can manage my day to day business easily" she smiled at Kyuhyun, who smiled back at her and put an arm at the back of her chair. 

"Appa and omma, you should make a trip to Melbourne and drop by her bookshop. Very cosy and you feel like you just want to sit there and read her books all day. But please do purchase some books before you go off" and everybody laughed. 

Ahra joined them, and was introduced to Sungmin. Magically, they could clicked easily which made Sungmin felt at ease. Over tea later, they talked about her injuries when she fell down, and laughed over the jokes when the hospital thought that Kyuhyun was her husband at that time! 

"Are your leg and arm better now, Sungmin?" Mrs Cho asked with concern. 

"Yes, they are better, omma, thank you. Just that now I became phobia to climb up to the upper selves to take the older books" 

"That's why, just tell these customers to collect the books later, and I will bring the books down for you once I come over. When Vic helped you while I'm away, get her to bring it down" Kyuhyun told her and took her hand and massage it. 

"You mean your internship is confirmed to be in Sydney?" Ahra asked her brother. 

"Yes, but I managed to shorten the Sydney internship to a month, and the other 2 months to be completed in Melbourne" 

"Which company are you assigned to, Kyu?"  Mr Cho asked his son. 

"It's First Data, appa. It's an international IT and point-of-sales solution for banks and financial institutions. I will be assigned to their Financial Analyst team in their Sydney office. After that, I will be in their head office in Melbourne, and assigned to their Business Analyst team". 

"Wow, daebak, Kyu. So proud of you!" Ahra praised her brother. 

"Hopefully they offer you a permanent job. It seemed to be a good company" Mr Cho said, nodding his head. 

"I don't know, I just want to do well for the internship, so that they could write a good review for me for my Masters"

"I'm sure they will, Kyu!" Mrs Cho said, smiling proudly. And she added "by the way, the wedding reception will be on 30th Dec. So I've make reservations for you to try your hanbok tomorrow. But as it's Christmas eve, they only open till 1pm. You have to be there by 11am".

"Thank you, Omma" 

"Sungmin dear, come, I will show you your hanbok" Mrs Cho smile happily at her and led the way to her bedroom. 

The wedding hanbok was the prettiest that Sungmin had ever seen. Hanbok is the combination of a jeogori (short bolero-style jacket) and chima (high-waisted wrap-around skirt), and for this outfit, the jeogori was in soft pink in rich satin fabric, with darker cuffs and neckband, embellished with silver and pink flowers and butterflies. The chima was darker maroon in color, in organza fabric. The whole hanbok gave a cheery effect, and Sungmin was in awe as she never had such a pretty hanbok before. 

"I want you to try. Come dear, let me help you" Mrs Cho smiled happily at her. She was happy that she could pass down her own wedding hanbok to her daughter-in-law, coz Ahra wouldn't want to wear traditional clothing at all! Sungmin is a good girl, and she already love her like her own daughter. 

Sungmin looked beautiful when she tried the hanbok, in fact, she looked like a Joseon princess! Just in time, Kyuhyun came into the room and halted as though he saw something strange. 

"Wow!! Omma, is this my Sungmin??" Kyuhyun asked his mother, who laughed and nodded, and then he added "Min, are you sure you are not a Joseon princess?? You looked so beautiful!!" 

"Thank you!" Sungmin said shyly. Then she turned to Mrs Cho "Omma, this hanbok is so beautiful!! And fit me perfectly!" 

"I think it is meant for you. A few of our cousins asked for it, but I didn't give it to them. Somehow I think I was waiting for the right person to wear it, and you are the right person, Sungmin. This hanbok is yours now". 

"Thank you very much, Omma" Sungmin hugged Mrs Cho. 

"Do I get a hug too??" Kyuhyun said jokingly. 

Sungmin and Mrs Cho laughed. "Sungmin, you can keep the hanbok in this box, and hang it before the wedding reception. I will help you on the day itself" Mrs Cho said to her. 

"Thank you very much, Omma" 

"Min, stay there, I want to take your photo" Kyuhyun stopped her from moving. He snapped some of her photos, then he asked his mum to stand next to Sungmin, and then he asked his mum to snap a foto with him and Sungmin. 

They were admiring the photos later in bed, and Kyuhyun said "You are so beautiful!!" and he reached over to kiss her. She felt so bliss that Kyuhyun's mother was so caring and the whole family accepted her, and she couldn't be happier to have Kyuhyun next to her. 

Christmas eve was very hectic. Kyuhyun and Sungmin accompanied Mrs Cho for her marketing for turkey and what's not, and Sungmin took this opportunity to buy ingredients to bake apple pie. She learn how to bake it from one of the books she saw during a book fare, and had tried it twice. Just that she was the only one eating it, so it lasted nearly a week. 

Dinner was awesome to Sungmin. She was so thankful that she could be part of this wonderful family and she cried when Mr Cho said his prayers. The last Christmas dinner she had was years ago when her parents were still alive. Kyuhyun put his arm around Sungmin and wiped her tears. The apple pie was delicious and each of them managed to eat a slice before Ahra finished the rest of it! 

During the gift exchanged, she was surprised that they bought her gifts too. She gave Mr Cho a book on World Languages, for Mrs Cho, she gave a soft Australian sheep-skin wristlet, and for Ahra, she bought her an Australian soft calf leather gloves. For Kyuhyun, she gave him a watch which she got it engraved with "Kyu and Min" at the back, which Kyuhyun loved it but nagged at her for buying something so expensive. 

Sungmin loved her gifts too. Kyuhyun gave her a lovely silver bracelet, with her name engraved on a double-face flat metal piece, and with Kyuhyun's name engraved on the other side! Mr and Mrs Cho gave her a gold chain and a beautiful heart-shaped pendant, while Ahra gave her a pretty pink muffler. She thanked all of them, and again, Kyuhyun has to wipe her tears. 

And for the 1st time in so many years, she experienced white Christmas when it snowed on Christmas day!  She was so happy when she saw it at the window that she clapped her hands excitedly and dashed out to step on the snow barefooted! Kyuhyun has to carry her back to the house as her legs were frozen, and he has to soak her feet in warm water and massage them for blood circulation. 

"Kyu, the snow is so beautiful!! Can we come back here every year??!" 

"You can't even take the 13 hours flight!" 

"I'll endure it!!!!! I promise!!" 

Kyuhyun chuckled. His wife is really cute when she's excited. He reached up and gave her a kiss, and then nodded his head. 

​​​​