Decision time

Bookshop


The mysterious message was from an unknown number, yet it seemed so familiar. He decided to drive his car to cut down the travelling time since the police station is at Flinders Lane. After parking his car, Kyuhyun tried to search if that number ever texted or called him before. Then he saw it! A group message created by Alex during his internship in Sydney. That number must be belonging to Irene!!  "Yes, who else would have gone to such length to harm my Sungmin!!" Kyuhyun angrily said to himself.

After checking that there was no calls from the hospital, he stepped into the police station and asked  to meet the inspector. He presented the copy of the surveillance cam footage as well as the text message that he received. The surveillance cam matched with what Mr Barret's worker has provided earlier, so the police has sufficient evidence to go after the 2 Chinese guys. 

The police inspector, Inspector Wilson Smith, told Kyuhyun that they had gather some more evidence from the shops around the Bookshop who had surveillance camera as well, and the car number that the 2 guys came out from was luckily caught on camera.  

"So, we have the car licence plate, car model and colour, and the 2 faces on camera, now we can proceed to get a warrant of arrest to capture these 2 guys, as well as the person who ordered them to burnt your bookshop" Inspector Smith told Kyuhyun. 

"Thank you inspector. Please contact me if you need anything else. This is my number" Kyuhyun wrote down his number. 

"I will, thank you, Mr Cho. How is your wife?" Inspector Smith asked with concerned. 

"She is still unconscious, but her lungs are cleared now. I will go back to the hospital to be with her. Thank you Inspector" 

"And congratulations, I heard it's your first baby. We will nab the 2 guys and the accomplice, I promise you that!" 

"Thank you very much, Inspector. I make my move now" Kyuhyun got up, bowed, and offered his hand. 

Inspector Smith nodded and shook Kyuhyun's hand. He liked Asians like Kyuhyun, always humble, respectful and family oriented. 

Kyuhyun was still buffled why Irene would do this. Just because she's jealous of Sungmin? What is there to be jealous since she has a already known that he is married to Sungmin all these while? Should he confronted her? Kyuhyun was asking himself. But no, let the police handled her first. He parked his car at the hospital carpark and quickly walked in to see his wife. 

The nurse updated him that they had done a baby scan and baby is still doing fine and now they had hooked a baby heartbeat monitoring at his wife tummy so that they could monitor for another few hours. His wife lungs are back to normal but she was still very weak. Kyuhyun thanked her and walked in to her ward. 

He kissed her forehead and her hand. "Min, I'm back. Wake up baby. I missed you". And he squeezed her hand gently. He adjusted her blanket and smile when he heard his baby’s heartbeats. It was a constant "dugun dugun dugun dugun" and Kyuhyun rubbed Sungmin's tummy and said "Heyyy baby. Daddy's here, how are you doing? Mummy is not well so you be a good boy okay" and he chuckled as he felt his baby kicked his hand. 

It was an hour later when Sungmin woke up. Kyuhyun was seated at the side chair and looking through his emails on his phone when he heard Sungmin called his name with a weak voice. 

"Min! You are awake! How are you feeling?" 

Sungmin looked at him confusedly and looked around. She tried to get up but was held back by Kyuhyun "You are in the hospital. Do you remember? The periodicals outside the bookshop was on fire and the smoke sipped inwards and you fainted because of breathing in smoke. Your lungs are clear now" he massaged Sungmin's hands. 

"Ohhh yes" Sungmin began to understand. She felt nauseated suddenly and covered . 

Alarmed, Kyuhyun quickly grabbed a washing bowl on the side table and just in time, managed to hold it near Sungmin's lips and held her up slightly when she started throwing up. It must be the smoke, plus the drip, plus her sudden consciousness that's causing her nauseated state. He soothed his wife's back with his free hand. 

"I'm sorry" Sungmin said while looking apologetically at Kyuhyun. She should have tried to hold her vomiting so that she we wouldn't have alarmed her husband. 

"Heyyy, why apologise? It's your body's natural reaction to throw out harmful food in your body. You breathed in smoke and some of it must have gone through to your stomach" Kyuhyun said, putting the bowl away, wiped with a wet tissue, hugged her and then kissed her forehead . "I throw this away first, ok" he said after helping her to lie down again.

Sungmin soothed her chest and tried to relax. She felt her baby moved and started rubbing her tummy "How are you baby? Mummy is so sorry to put you in this state" Sungmin said sadly. She felt a cramp coming probably because her baby moved or stretched downwards. As the cramp grew more painful, she turned sideways towards the drip to ease her pain. 

"Min, are you in pain?" Kyuhyun said with concern, seeing his wife holding her tummy and had turned herself sideways. "Tell me, what's wrong.." he said, holding her hand. 

"I started to feel cramps. Maybe because of the vomiting" Sungmin squirmed in pain. She squeezed Kyuhyun's hand as another waive of cramp came through. 

"I get the nurse to call the doctor. Maybe you started to have contraction.." Kyuhyun said with alarm. 

"Can't...be... Baby...is...only..due... next.. month" Sungmin said with difficulties in between her pain.

Kyuhyun quickly ran out and a minute later, he ran in with 2 nurses who quickly check on Sungmin. They checked the baby’s heartbeat and one of them ran out probably to call the doctor. 

"Ma'am, seemed like your baby starts to be under undue distress. We are calling the doctor and will do a ultrascan as soon as we can" and looking up at Kyuhyun, the nurse asked "Sir, do you have her gynaecologist number? We can contact her too".

"Yes yes I have. She's Dr Fox, and in this same hospital too. Here it is" Kyuhyun passed her Dr Fox's business card. 

"Ok great, I will call her now. Meanwhile, you try to get your wife to relax by taking lots of deep breath" the nurse quickly ran out to her station. 

Kyuhyun took a glass of warm water and held Sungmin up for her to drink. Putting the glass back on the side table, he held her towards his chest and rubbed  her tummy, hopefully to ease out some pain. 

"Min, take a deep breath, and focus on relaxing. Come on, take a deep breath" Kyuhyun urged her gently. Sungmin grabbed Kyuhyun's shirt more tightly as she felt another wave of pain. She took some deep breaths and tried to think of relaxing. Is this contraction? She has started her labour pains? Ohmygod, it is so painful, much more painful than her usual cramps! 

"Kyu.." Sungmin said in between heavy breathings, "If I give birth now, isn't  baby premature? Will he be ok?..." 

Kyuhyun held her closer to her chest, "You are already in your 30th week, so baby should be fully develop by now. I'm perfectly ok if you give birth today but let's hear what Dr Fox's will say ok" he kissed her head and rubbed the side of her tummy. Frankly speaking, he was thankful if his wife would give birth today because had it been at their home, he would panic and wouldn't know what to do!

Things were hectic once the doctor came in. They wheeled in the ultra scanning machine and prepared for the scanning. A minute later Dr Fox came and after greeted Kyuhyun, she
greeted Sungmin and kept telling her to relax. She took over the scanning machine, measure the baby's heartbeat, and discussed something with the resident doctor before nodding her head. She then turned to Kyuhyun. 

"Mr Cho, baby is in distress. We can give an injection to ease the pain and monitor for today, or my recommendation is for Sungmin to proceed to be in full labour and deliver her baby. If we proceed with full labour, we need to give her an injected to trigger full labour. Now what she's experiencing is premature contractions due to intense cramps". 

"Doctor, I would go with whatever you recommend, as long as both my wife and baby are okay. But she's only in her 30th week, can she go through normal birth?" Kyuhyun asked with concerned. He was amazed that he could stay calm in such situation. 

"Yes at 30th week, baby can breath on his own outside the womb, so it is ok. Alright then, I recommend to proceed for full labour. We will book for a labour ward now and prepare for the birth procedure. The nurse will bring in some papers for you to sign. So meanwhile, you just need to prepare Sungmin for the birth and try to get her to relax. When the full labour starts, the pain will gradually became more intense but she can opt for epidural anaesthesia, or nitrous oxide which is using oxygen. You, Mr Cho, need to prepare yourself too. You are going to be a father!!"

Kyuhyun actually started to feel like fainting, now that realisation hit him...