Parents-in-law

Bookshop

They went to the airport early to have lunch and then to wait for Kyuhyun's parents. Sungmin finally agreed to wear the hanbok that Kyuhyun's mum would be bringing after Kyuhyun managed to convince her that the hanbok wouldn't make her look big as it is in navy blue with nice lavender top.

"Heyy, are you ok?" Kyuhyun asked his wife when he noticed that she was rubbing her tummy. They were seated opposite the arrival gate so that Kyuhyun would be able to spot his parents. 

Sungmin leaned back to ease her uncomfortable pain "Baby keep on moving and kick on my left tummy. It's painful..." 

Kyuhyun moved closer and put his arms around her and kissed her side temple. His poor wife has been having more cramps lately and baby movements would trigger a wave of pain as well. Though baby movement is a good thing, it constantly caused more painful and discomfort to his wife.  He would seeked more advice from the gynae in their next visit. 

Automatically Sungmin leaned her head on his inner shoulder. This position somehow provided comfort for her and made her pain more bearable. She loved how Kyuhyun is always alert on her discomfort and would immediately try to ease her pain. Such a wonderful husband. 

Kyuhyun moved his hand slowly on Sungmin's tummy. "Heyy little one, daddy know that you are excited to meet grandma and grandpa, but relax, don't kick mummy ok". 

Sungmin chuckled. Kyuhyun is so cute and their baby must have love to hear his daddy's voice. Whenever Kyuhyun came back from work and went to the Bookshop, and the minute he talked, baby would start kicking, as though he is happy to hear his father's voice! 

"Why do you laugh, hmmm.. my dearest mummy?" Kyuhyun pinched Sungmin's nose. "Unborn babies can hear our voices you know? Maybe I should start singing to our baby" Kyuhyun said smiling, making cute faces. Sungmin laughed because her husband was so funny. 

"Tummy still painful?" Kyuhyun asked softly, pulling her closer, full of concern. 

"It's better now, thanks to you!!". 

Kyuhyun kissed her temple again. Looking up, he said "Ohhh that's papa and omma!" Kyuhyun said when he saw his parents emerging from the arrival hall after custom check. 

Sungmin slowly stood up to welcome her parents-in-law. Kyuhyun called his mum who immediately saw them. 

"Kyu!! Sungmin!!!!" Mrs Cho was practically running towards them. 

Kyuhyun hugged her and took her luggage aside. He hugged his dad next, asking "Welcome to Melbourne omma and appa! How's the flight?". 

"Tiring because your mother keep asking 'are going to land soon?'". 

"Of course! I couldn't sleep, unlike you! Snoring so loudly, so embarrassing!" Mrs Cho gave him an annoyed look, but laughed, making the rest laughed too. Turning to Sungmin, she exclaimed "How are you, Sungmin?? Ohmygod, I can see your tummy already!!! Our grandchild!!!!" she happily said while hugging Sungmin. 

"I'm ok, omma. Just cramps and tired. But Kyuhyun has been taking care of me, so I'm very blessed!" 

"Let's go, we can catch up at home" Kyuhyun said, pulling the handles of the 2 luggages. "We bought a small car, but should be enough to fit everything!" he laughed. 

Mrs Cho held Sungmin and walked with her while Kyuhyun walked ahead with Mr Cho. Occasionally, Kyuhyun would look back to make sure Sungmin was okay. They crossed the road to the carpark and soon, they were on the highway towards the city. Mrs Cho kept talking excitedly about what she saw along the road making everybody laughed. 

"Sungmin, you are still working alone in your bookshop in this condition? You must be very tired" Mrs Cho asked her daughter-in-law with concern. 

"Kyu help me whenever he can and I can rest when there are no customers. Victoria, Changmin's girlfriend, helps too. So, so far I'm still ok. But I'll put up for a part-time helper soon, and should be no problem because it's campus holiday and normally many students will apply" Sungmin told Mrs Cho. 

A wave of pain hit her and she cringe in pain. Mrs Cho was alarmed to see her daughter-in-law suddenly in pain. "Sungmin, what happen? Are you alright? Kyu!!" 

Kyuhyun quickly glance back and said with concern "Min, lean on the backrest". 

"Omma, gynae said that my womb didn't expand fast enough as the baby grow, so I will feel constant cramps whenever baby moves. I have learn to bear with it but sometimes it's too sudden, so I was caught unprepared" Sungmin explained slowly to her worried mother-in-law. 

"Oh my poor daughter. Kyu, your baby must be big, and have long legs like you". 

Kyuhyun chuckled "Maybe...  So did I gave you lot of problems last time when you were carrying me?" 

"Not really, coz I already have Ahra. Sungmin's case is different coz it's her first time."

"I guess so. And it's a baby boy, omma, and appa" Kyuhyun proudly informed his parents. 

"Really?? Wahh, we'll have a grandson, dear!!" Mrs Cho was happily clapping and smiling to her husband. 

"Great! We'll have a little Cho!" Mr Cho patted Kyuhyun's shoulder. He was proud that his surname would be carried down to the 3rd generation. 

"But appa, isit alright if we use both surnames? I prefer to use Cho-Lee" Kyuhyun asked his dad. 

"Kyu, just use your family name. Don't have to add Lee" Sungmin said slowly, while resting her head against the back rest. "I have nobody else left, so no point to carry my family name". 

"Oh my, don't be sad Sungmin, you are our family. Come here" Mrs Cho hugged her. "Ok you relax here. Maybe baby is hungry? Do you have anything to munch?" 

"We just had our lunch, omma" Sungmin said. "But yes, I do bring along biscuits in a zip lock plastic in my bag. I always have this hunger pangs and if I didn't eat, I will start throwing up". 

"My poor girl. Yes it's not easy to be a mother, but it's all worth it once you see how cute your baby is" Mrs Cho consoled her. 

"Ok, we are here!!" Kyuhyun announced. From the basement car park, they went up to their apartment "Welcome to our home, omma and appa!!" 

"Wow, so nice and cosy. Is your bookshop nearby, Sungmin?" Mrs Cho asked. 

"Yes, omma, it's nearby. Later we will drop by there as I need to open it for a while. Lots of students will drop by in the evening to find something they might need. Then we can go for dinner?" Sungmin said, sitting down to rest. Somehow she felt very tired today, and she wasn't even doing anything! 

"Min, I'll open the Bookshop and I bring omma and appa along. You lie down and rest. We'll come back to fetch you for dinner" Kyuhyun came back to their living room after putting the luggages in the guest room, and gestured her to get up and lead her to their bedroom. 

"I'm ok, Kyu. How can I just lie down here when your parents are here? What kind of daughter-in-law am I?" Sungmin said softly when they reached their bedroom. 

"I take care of my parents, don't worry. Lie down, I get you biscuits and milk and the pain killers, ok" Kyuhyun helped her to lie down and kissed her briefly. He combed her hair with his fingers lovingly and kissed her again. She is in her 26th week of pregnancy and maybe his mother was right. Baby must be big and having long legs. No wonder his wife is easily tired and in pain whenever baby decided to move or kick. Rubbing Sungmin's tummy, he said "Baby, behave well, let mummy rest, ok. I bring your grandparents to the Bookshop first" and he bend down to kiss her tummy. 

"Kyu, the keys are in my pouch in my handbag. I think there is a delivery today for the periodicals". 

"Ok, I'll bring it in and teach mum how to put them on the shelves. She will sureky enjoy helping out" Kyuhyun chuckled and kissed her forehead. "Where's your phone? I'll message you when we are ready to go for dinner". 

"Here, in my pocket" Sungmin took it out and Kyuhyun put it on the side table. He got up and went out, and back again with a small tub of biscuits and a glass of milk. He covered the glass with a serviette and took out the pain killers from her handbag which he had brought it in too. 

Talking to his wife's tummy, Kyuhyun said "Ok baby, have some sleep. We go to the Bookshop ok" and Kyuhyun smile lovingly at his wife, kissed her, and waved goodbye. 

Mrs Cho waved from the bedroom door too "Rest my dear, and see you later. I'm so excited to see your bookshop!" 

"See you later, omma". 

Kyuhyun brought his parents to the Bookshop and showed his parents around. They were impressed that the Bookshop is so neat and cosy, and has so many interesting books and articles. Sungmin must have been doing a good job, no wonder her Bookshop is so popular. 

"Omma, you want to help arranging these new financial magazines? I show you where the shelf is. Appa you help to change the signboard to 'open' and 'on' the laptop and the cashier? The 'on' button is at the side" Kyuhyun pointed to the machine. 

"This is so interesting! Ok dear, you help with those and I help Kyu with the magazines" Mrs Cho said excitingly, and followed her son. 

Students from the nearby University started walking in and Kyuhyun greeted them. Some of them asked about Sungmin, and Kyuhyun casually said that she is resting, and they waved and went up to the mezzanine floor. Kyuhyun taught his father how to scan the book for the price and how to operate the cash register and the POS terminal. Surprisingly, Mr Cho learn fast and managed to settle 2 customers for payment, without Kyuhyun's help! 

Mrs Cho walked towards where her husband was and said excitedly "Dear, I am beginning to love Melbourne and this bookshop!! Can we migrate here?" she said happily. 

"I still have my business to take care off and we have Ahra!" Mr Cho rolled his eyes to tease his wife. His wife is cute when she is excited. 

"Hmmm, maybe I stay here for 2 months and then fly back and come back here again to help Sungmin when she delivers?" Mrs Cho started thinking. 

"Dear, whatever you plan to do, we can decide later after discussing with Kyu. And Kyu needs to discuss with Sungmin. It's her bookshop anyway" Mr Cho said softly. 

"Alright, alright, I know" Mrs Cho said, but still smiling happily and walked back to the periodical shelf. 

Back in the apartment, Sungmin couldn't sleep. She felt the cramps again and slowly sat up to eat the biscuits. She felt so helpless and sad that she couldn't accompany her parents-in-law. It's their first time in Melbourne and yet she is lying down here doing nothing. 

Sitting up fully, she said to herself "I must be strong and overcome my pain. Yes, I'll take the painkillers and go to the Bookshop" Sungmin said.

She got up to go to the bathroom, but halfway there, she suddenly felt dizzy and then felt that she is loosing consciousness. She reached for the wall, and sat down on the floor near the bathroom door. And all became dark...