46. Hara

The Joker of Hearts: A JunHara fanfic

Xing, the name did ring a bell. I decided not to interrupt since he was in a good mood. He got very animated with story telling, attempting to imitate the voices of the other characters as well as their actions regarding particular scenes. For a while he couldn’t stop laughing after explaining how he changed the labels on the shampoo and the shaving gel for an experiment. “Poor Sunghyun, his face smelt like pomegranates for the rest of the day.” He had to wipe his eyes from laughing so hard.

“Oh that is funny,” my smile felt like it would tear my face apart. How could I sit here laughing with him when my group was at the verge of splitting?

“Then why aren’t you laughing?”

“Err,” not sure how to answer him I just scrunched my coffee can in my hand. “I guess it’s kind of hard for me to explain.”

“Hmm,” he started the engine; I guess he was fed up with me. I wouldn’t blame him, I wasn’t in a good mood.

“So do you have any brothers or sisters?” I nodded to him, relieved he had changed the topic of discussion.

“One oppa,” I told him. “He’s currently in the army.”

“Oh why’s that?” Breathing out in a heavy puff I rolled up my sleeves, focusing out of the rear view mirror. “Hey I asked you a question.” His voice made me jump and I felt sorry.
“He wanted to go early… No he wanted to go for her.”

“Her? Who is her?”

“Someone he’s liked for a long time…”

***

November 2010

“Hara, it’s good to see you,” mother was more than warm as I came off the bus. She gave me a big hug.  “We’re so proud of your success with Kara and with your shows on television.”

“Hmm funny last time I recall you trying to discourage me,” ah now the tension was firm. Why did I have to go bringing up old things from the past?

“Ah well back then you weren’t getting anywhere,” ouch. “Come inside.” I had to pull away from her firm but warm grasp on my shoulders.
“Sorry mum I have to speak to my manager.”

“Oh right sorry,” she went into the house as I quickly spoke to JiHyung.

“Oppa,” then I became quiet. It had been his idea to come with me to make sure that I would get home safely. But it meant he had to drive. “I, I don’t know what to.”

“Just thank me and be on your way,” JiHyung replied. So I bowed in thanks and said it too with all the sincerity that I had in my heart. “I’ll be back at eight thirty to take you back.” I nodded.

“Thank you once again oppa.”

“Sure,” he turned to leave, “have a good night with them.” He went to his car without turning back. That was how he was. He kept things professional; at least with me anyway.

“Damn it!” My father’s voice yelled through the house. “Where’s that boy?!”

“Calm down,” he had to be calmed down by mother. “You’re scaring Hara.” I had no idea what was happening. When his gusto ran out he was forced to sit down.
“I found this in his room,” he waved a piece of paper about. I took it out of his hand to read. I stopped mid-way through.

“He’s running away?!” My voice trembled. Dad got up to take the letter from me. He handed it to mum. “No he’s gone to enlist. Apparently it’s because of her father. He won’t let him date her until after he’s done his service.”  Damn it was her fault. Park Hyomin, the girl he’s liked for a while. I heard more than I needed to. I was by the door grabbing my shoes.

“Come on,” they followed. “We have to stop him.”

*

A/N Soundtrack music

The drive to the army barracks was more than terrifying. We didn’t know if we were going to reach it in time. “There he is!” I pointed to a guy waiting outside talking to a soldier. He looked and dressed like he normally did. We pulled over to the side and the moment the car stopped I opened the door to run.

“Oppa,” my shoes slipped about on my feet but I didn’t have time to tighten the laces. I got to the guy, yanked him on the arm to make him look at me. I stopped; he stared at me with confusion.
“Sorry,” I mumbled knowing I had the wrong person.

“Hey you’re from Kara—“

“—Goo Hyo Jin!” My father bellowed. “Come out boy!”

“Hyo Jin-ah,” mother sounded close to tears. “Son, where are you?”

“Excuse me,” a soldier approached them, “but are you the parents of Goo Hyo Jin?” I wanted to hear what he was saying but the guy I’d grabbed wanted an autograph so I had to sign the toe of one of his sneakers.

“Thank you,” I got swallowed up in a rather unexpected hug. “I’m a big fan of Kara.” I left before he could tell me who his favorite was from the group.

“Ok,” the sergeant was leaving as I came. “Wait,” he stopped as I spoke to him. I must have looked rather forlorn since the side of his mouth rose in an attempt to smile.
“Your brother will be fine, we’re going to put him in a low rank so he won’t be anywhere near the fighting.” As much as this relieved me it didn’t stop the sudden fall of tears. I buried my face in my hands as the sobbing commenced.
“Hey now don’t start.” A rather small pat fell on my head. My parents joined me; I could hear my mother trying not to sob with dad clearing his throat unconvincingly. I let them turn me back so we could go to the car, ignoring the sound of someone running towards our direction.

“Excuse me sir,” a familiar voice said. We stopped. There was talk and I removed my hands to wipe my eyes. The sergeant said something to the guy and then went back inside. I couldn’t believe it, my brother was there. He’d shaved his head and was already in their uniform. He went towards us, his face solemn seeing us.

When he bowed to us I thought I would lose it again. Dad went over to him and patted him on the shoulders.
“You alright son?” Hyo Jin nodded.

“This is what I want father,” he tried to be serious though I knew better. He was soft inside. Dad understood and hugged him.
“Did you pack everything?” Mum asked while dabbing her eyes. He confirmed this. “I have all I need mum,” she hugged him before kissing him on the forehead. It was my turn.

“Hara-yah,” he began with exasperation at me shedding tears all over again. “I won’t come near if you start crying.” I wiped my eyes understanding.

“Ok,” I sniffed, “sorry.” He came over to me and ruffled my hair. The hair stylist had worked hard to get it to look fine. “Hara-yah,” he spoke in a soft voice. “You would understand what I’m going through when you date again.”

“I know,” I talked quietly in response. “But still oppa…” He sighed giving me a hug gingerly.
“I’m proud of you,” he said while hugging me. “But be careful, because I won’t be around to help you if you need someone.”

“Ok,” we pulled apart and I wiped my eyes again while he fidgeted with his short hair. “I love you oppa.” I must have surprised him for he drew in a breath after I told him this. He grunted, clearing his throat.

“Same here,” he managed to squeeze out before he started to walk back. I guess he didn’t want to see my face. I didn’t blame him for I was crying again.

***

“Hello Hara?” I saw Junhyung looking at me wide eyed. “Why are you crying?” I must have been too absorbed in my story telling to realise.

“Oh excuse me,” I turned away so I could wipe my eyes. “I guess I got carried away.” He made a noise through closed lips to agree.

“I think I should get you home.”  I nodded and we turned at the lights. “So your brother… What happened between the girl and him?”

“Before he could ask her out she found another boyfriend.” I replied glumly. “So he just prolonged his enlistment until he felt he is over her."

"Hmm. Then for your sake let's hope that it will be soon." It wouldn't be until sometime in two thosand and twelve but that would be a long time away. I didn't know why he was this kind to me.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Truth be told I don’t think her brother really went to the army but I wanted something melodramatic. Plus I had forgotten to mention her brother before *hits my hand* Pray for Hyunseung since he lost his father recently ;___; it's really sad since his dad was on Win win and.... Yeah excuse me