The First Signs

The Intern

Sehun hadn’t really been prepared to have a meeting on his second day so he couldn’t deny being a little nervous. He had woken up extra early today to make sure he’d looked his best. He’d gotten out his best suit, probably spent an hour in the bathroom already to make sure he was clean-shaven and that his hair was on point.

With just 30 minutes left before Baekhyun would pick him up, Sehun was nervously standing on the balcony, looking down on the parking lot.    

“So, how was your first day?”

Sehun made a small jump when he suddenly felt his roommate engulf him in a back hug and placed his chin on his shoulder.  

“Why are you so clingy today?” Sehun said, trying to shake Jongin off him but the other was holding him too tight.

Jongin buried his head in Sehun’s neck “I need more sleep.” he mumbled.

“You’re always asleep, how could you ever need more sleep? By the way where were you last night?”

“Kyungsoo.”

“That explains why you didn’t get much sleep. I just hope you showered before coming home.”

“I didn't.” And Jongin started rubbing himself all over Sehun.

“Get off me you !” Sehun said laughing, trying to get out of Jongin’s grip.

“Only if you answer my question, how did it go yesterday?”

“Really good. The people there were really nice and I think I left a good impression. But there is something I haven’t told you…”

“What is it? You’re making me curious now.”

“I’ve told you which company I work for now right?” Jongin nodded “I actually haven’t told you who I work for. I actually-”

The both of them looked down the street when they heard a loud car nearing their apartment building. When a orange sportscar pulled up onto the parking lot Jongin released Sehun and leaned over the railing “Dude… look at that car!”

Sehun already had a feeling who this car belonged to, and when the door opened his suspicions were confirmed. A small figure in a suit stepped out of the car and the two watched him grab his phone dialing a number.

“Wait is that…” Jongin got interrupted by Sehun’s phone that started ringing and he switched looks between his roommate and the man downstairs.   

“You’re his assistant? That’s why you look so fancy today.”

Sehun ignored Jongin’s question and picked up his phone.

“Hey Sehun, It’s me. Sorry I’m a bit early. Are you ready to go?”

“Yeah, I’ll be downstairs in a minute.”

Sehun put his phone away and rushed towards the bathroom and checked his appearance in the mirror one more time before he went back to his friend. “I have to go, I’ll explain everything later.”

He left the apartment and ran downstairs. He exited the building and walked towards a smiling Baekhyun.

“You look good Sehun.”

“Thanks, you… you look good too.” It felt a bit weird saying that to him, but he wasn’t lying.

“Flirting with your boss, I like it.” Baekhyun said with a wink and Sehun quickly turned his head to avoid him seeing the blush on his cheeks.

“You have a really nice car.”

“If you two work hard in life you'll be able to afford a beauty like this one day.” Baekhyun said while proudly tapping the hood of his car.

“Yeah, I'm pretty sure you worked your off for this thing.” someone suddenly said in a very sarcastic way. Sehun turned around and saw Jongin walking up to them.

“Jongin! Shut up.” Sehun hissed towards his friend before he turned to Baekhyun. “I'm sorry about him.”

“Don't worry about it Sehun, a lot of people try to tell me I don't deserve to drive a car like this. But we both know the real story, don’t we Sehun?”

Sehun didn’t answer his boss but just kept looking at Jongin with an angry expression on his face.

“Come on kid, the meeting starts in 30 minutes.” Baekhyun said while sitting back in the driver seat.

“Go back inside Jongin, I need to go to work.” Sehun said with guilt on his face before taking place next to Baekhyun. Sehun should’ve told Jongin everything. The other knew he was going to work for Baekhyun’s company, but Sehun had left out the detail he was actually going to be his personal assistant. Jongin was the type to judge people fast and that’s exactly why he had been scared to tell, since Baekhyun didn’t really have a good reputation.

“You two live together?” Sehun got taken out of his thoughts by Baekhyun’s question. He didn’t even realise the elder had already started driving until he heard the roaring engine.

“Yeah, we have been for 2 years now.”

“Is he your boyfriend?”

“Ooh god… please no. I wouldn't even wanna think about it. Jongin is just my roommate and a really good friend, nothing more.”

“I see…” Baekhyun didn't ask more questions about the two friends, but Sehun didn't miss the slight annoyed look on his boss’ face.


 

“This is Kim Minseok. He’s a system analyst who works with our company.”

Sehun shook the other’s hand and took a seat next to Baekhyun.

“Nice to meet you Sehun, you’ve only started working for Mr. Byun recently right?”

“Nice to meet you too. And yeah, this is my second day.”

“And he already takes you to meet me, what an honour.”

Why did it seem like everyone in Baekhyun’s world was so nice? At school they always warned their students, that working for a big company wasn’t always fun. That the business world was hard, with cruel people ruling it.

“Let’s not waste any time though. You probably have a lot more stuff to do after this.” Minseok said after sitting down.

Sehun grabbed the laptop that Baekhyun had brought with him and put it in front of himself. In the car his boss had explained that Sehun could make some notes. It wasn’t really his job, but Baekhyun said it was just to prevent him from being bored.

“So Mr. Byun, as I told you before during our phone call I tested the new software and I was pretty impressed. Although I did found a few slight errors in the software I’d like to discuss with you. I also have some suggestions to improve other things but I’ll get to those later. Let’s start with the MG-9457 beta version 3.”

Sehun tried to focus on what the man was talking about but he was having a hard time. Mr. Kim was using terms he had never heard of and he was surprised that when he looked over to his boss he actually seemed to understand everything.

Baekhyun didn’t seem like a nerd who would know all of this computer language but Sehun guessed his job had made him one. He really started to admire his boss, the man was really dedicated to his company if he even went through learning all of this stuff while he had probably had enough workers to go to these meetings.

Sehun took a sip of his coffee and tried to focus again. Mr Kim was still talking about this beta thing and Sehun quickly lost focus again as soon as he looked at his boss. Baekhyun was actually was as handsome in real life as he appeared to be on pictures and on TV. It didn’t come as a surprise to Sehun yesterday when he googled his boss out of curiosity and found out he was one of the most sought after bachelors in the country. And it also didn’t surprise him why Baekhyun has had so many scandals, people were probably lining up for him.

If Baekhyun had been a bit younger it would definitely be the type of person Sehun would fall for. Not that he looked old, but Sehun thought an of nearly 10 years was a bit too big for his own liking. But besides his age Baekhyun was perfect and Sehun couldn’t help him but to stare at his boss for the rest of the meeting.



 

Baekhyun sat back in his office chair and opened the laptop Sehun had with him all day to have a look at it. He stood up with a small laugh when he saw an empty file in front of him and walked over the front part of the office.

“You didn’t make any notes?”

Sehun answered with a nervous voice without looking at Baekhyun. “Uhm… no, I… the conversation was actually kinda interesting. I wasn’t bored at all so I kinda forgot to take notes.”

Baekhyun let out a laugh when he saw the younger’s expression “Don’t worry Sehun, Mr. Kim made a report himself and it has everything I need in it.”

That seemed to cheer Sehun up a bit and he finally looked up to Baekhyun and smiled. Even if he had needed the notes he probably couldn’t get mad at a person like Sehun.

“Why do you go to these meetings yourself?”

“What do you mean?” Baekhyun was a bit thrown off by the question and sat down on the corner of Sehun’s desk.

“Couldn’t you just send someone over from the software department, like people who worked on this?”

“I could, I sometimes do take them with me. But for the most part I like to have these conversations myself. It keeps me updated with all the developments and new products my people make.”

He did indeed go to these meeting for that reason, but he also just really liked to be in control. Some contacts were so important that Baekhyun only trusted himself in meeting up with them. If his workers screwed up with one of his contacts it would not only hurt the company’s reputation but also his own. People could argue with him that his reputation already wasn’t that great due to his own private actions but those were his own mistakes, he couldn’t have his workers screw it up even more for him.    

“So this morning in the car you said that this isn’t something that comes with my job, like going to meetings with you?”

“I did.”

“Then why did you actually take me with you?”

Baekhyun had expected him to be curious about this. “I’d like you to meet my most important contacts. After all, you’ll be the one talking to them whenever I’m not around.”

“I see, so you’re gonna take me on all your appointments the next couple of days?”

“Maybe, depends on what needs to be done at the office but I’ll try to.” Baekhyun knew it was time for Sehun to actually learn what his job was going to be for the next couple of weeks. He already had made an agreement with Junmyeon’s assistant to let Sehun shadow him for the rest of the week. But Baekhyun might have to make a few changes to that now, he did have a few other meetings and he would like for Sehun to meet more people, but he also just might like having him around.

 


 

a/n The second part of the introduction to the fic, kinda...

Next chapter stuff will start going down so I hope you're all excited. Thanks for all the love so far <3

Btw this is the car I gave Baekhyun bc it's my fave car ever made and I just had to show you guys ;_;