Regret

The Intern

 

Double update! I posted this morning too so don't forget to read last chapter <3

 


 

[Missed Call] 08:13 PM - Baekhyun

[Missed Call] 08:17 PM - Baekhyun

[New Text Message] Baekhyun(1) Sehun are you there?

[Missed Call] 08:35 PM - Baekhyun

[New Text Message] Baekhyun(2) Please answer me

[New Text Message] Baekhyun(3) Are you at home?

[Missed Call] 09:06 PM - Baekhyun

[Missed Call] 09:52 PM - Baekhyun

[Missed Call] 11:12 PM - Baekhyun

[New Text Message] Baekhyun(4) Sehun, please call me back?       

[Missed Call] 01:49 AM - Baekhyun   

[New Text Message] Baekhyun(5) I’ll see you at work in the morning okay? Sleep well <3

 

Sehun took a long sip from his coffee, emptying the mug and putting it down on the dining table rather harshly. It was already way past midnight but he hadn’t had any sleep yet.

His phone lit up for the umpteenth time tonight and he couldn’t help but to take a quick look at the screen.

‘You’re probably sleeping, but I just want you to know I’m thinking about you. I’m looking forward to seeing you this morning and…’

He would only be able to read the rest of the text if he actually opened it, but he didn’t wanna let the elder know that we was curious what he had to say. So instead he stood up and walked towards kitchen counter to refill his mug once again.

“What are you up this late?”

Sehun almost dropped his mug when he heard his roommate's voice behind him.

“Jesus Jongin…” Sehun grabbed his chest, feeling his heartbeat going crazy from the scare “Did you really have to do that to me?”

“I’m sorry.” Jongin sat down at the table “Why are you still here though? It’s almost 3AM, don’t you have work tomorrow.”

“I can’t sleep.” Sehun said as he sat down with Jongin.

“I’m not surprised.” Jongin let out a small laugh when he saw Sehun’s mug filled to the brim “And you’re not gonna be able to for a while if you keep drinking more of that stuff.”

“It doesn’t matter, since I’m not going to work tomorrow.”

“Sehun…”

“No.” Sehun interrupted Jongin before he could speak “Don’t say anything. I’ve made my decision.”

“So this is it, you’re giving up on him completely?”

“Maybe not completely, but I need time to think.”

“About what? About how he just declared his love for you on national TV?”

Sehun didn’t know how to feel about this whole thing. Was Baekhyun really serious about this, or was this just his last resort to keep Sehun by his side, to fool him one last time?

“Maybe he just proved that he loves me to everyone else, but what does that do for me?”

“If he would've come over last night, standing right here in this room, telling you he loved you, would you have believed it?”

“Yes… No… Maybe…” Sehun didn’t know the answer.

“See, and there is your answer. Baekhyun is probably just as uncertain as you are. Maybe how he did it wasn't the best way, it’s not like you heard the words come out of his mouth in person, but I think you also need to understand this was a big step for him. Because, what is it that you’re scared of?”

“That I’m just like the others, that he’s gonna dump me after he gets sick of me.” Sehun said silently. Even thinking about it made him nauseous, to only think the elder would use him like that.   

“Exactly! And you know what he did now?” Jongin smiled “Letting everyone know he’s done with that, he’s letting the world know he’s serious about you and that is how it’s different from the past people.”

“How then?” Sehun didn’t know where Jongin was going with his point, since it could be just really easy for Baekhyun to lie.

“Have you any idea how much backlash he would get now if he dumps you? All the other times Baekhyun had never outed his love for those people, resulting in the media just calling them stupid for falling for Baekhyun’s trap. But this time, it would be just cruel towards you, no one would support him for this action.”

“Maybe you’re right but…”

“But what?”

Sehun really didn’t have the answer, he didn’t really know what to think right now. Was Baekhyun being honest this time? He didn’t know yet what he should do, but he wasn’t ready to make his decision in a few hours. Maybe staying home today would be the best, but how long would Baekhyun wait for him?

He got taken out of his thoughts when his phone lit up again, but this time he didn’t wanna read the message. Jongin took a quick look at the screen and then looked at him.

“I believe him Sehun, I never thought I would say this, but I really think he loves you.” When Sehun didn’t answer him Jongin stood up, he put a hand on Sehun shoulder. “I’m gonna go back to bed, you should get some rest too. You might be able to think about it better after you’ve had some sleep.”

Sehun watched Jongin walk back into his room and looked at his coffee. Jongin was probably right, he should try to sleep and clear his head for a bit, if that was possible. He grabbed his phone and walked towards his room. He laid down in bed and left his phone on the nightstand, but not before taking a quick look at his last received message.

‘I love you Sehun, I truly do.’

 

“You look like a wreck.”

“Thanks Dae, maybe because I feel like one.”

“How long has he been gone now?”

“Three days.” Today was the third day Sehun hadn’t shown up at the office and Baekhyun had officially lost all hope. Sehun wasn’t coming back. He had been sitting at his desk, just staring at the door, hoping the younger would walk in any second. And when the door opened a few minutes ago he had felt hopeful, until he noticed it was his best friend bursting in, screaming at him for being late to his meeting.  

“Should I call him?” Jongdae already grabbed the phone on Baekhyun’s desk but Baekhyun shook his head.

“He won’t pick up, I’ve tried to call him several times but gave up after ten times.”

“Well then forget about him and just get on with your work. By the way that kid doesn’t even have the right to be absent, I don’t care about your private situation, he should come to work if he doesn’t wanna be fired!”

“Leave him. He already had my schedule ready for the whole week, I just don’t feel like going to meetings now.” Baekhyun didn’t know why he was still defending Sehun. Jongdae was right, their private situation had nothing to do with his internship at the company. He could be really cruel right now and just tell Sehun he’d failed because he didn’t show up multiple days without a reason, but Baekhyun couldn’t do that to Sehun, not after the confession his love for him.

“Then you should’ve told Junmyeon so he could take over for you. You might as well go home, because when you’re sitting here, just sulking in your chair isn’t gonna help anyone.”

“Then what am I supposed to do Jongdae? Haven’t I shown him that I love him?”

“Well kinda…” Jongdae said hesitantly “Maybe you should’ve just went by his house. Maybe he didn’t even see what you did.”

“He wouldn’t open for me.” Baekhyun said with a small sarcastic laugh “He hates me. And I’m pretty sure he saw it since it was all over the news the next day, it was hard to miss.”

“If he hated you he would probably be here already screaming at you of how stupid your little act on TV was. The kid is probably confused and unsure what to do.”

“Well then he’s just like me.” Baekhyun laughed again.

“That’s why I’m saying, go home, get some rest and come back when you have made up your mind, this stressful environment might not be the best for you right now.”

“You’re right.” Baekhyun said while standing up from his chair. “If Sehun isn’t here I don’t wanna be here either.” Just watching Sehun’s empty spot wasn’t doing him any good, he needed to clear his mind while waiting for Sehun, and he knew the perfect place to do that.

Baekhyun walked toward the door after grabbing his coat, phone and car keys, leaving Jongdae sitting at his desk on his own.

“So that means you’re finally going home?”

“No.”

“Then where are you going?” Jongdae said with confusion in his voice as he turned around in his chair.

“You know where.” was all he said before walking out of the door without looking back.

 

Sehun laid down in the couch, staring at the ceiling out of boredom. He didn’t like sitting at home, but what he even disliked more, was not talking to Baekhyun. It had been three days now since Baekhyun’s confession and Sehun still hadn’t made up his mind, and he knew time was running out.

With a sigh he grabbed his phone from the coffee table, there hadn’t been any more missed calls or messages from the elder today, and it made Sehun kinda worried. Baekhyun couldn’t hurt himself or anything like that because of Sehun?

Pushing away all the worst case scenarios that popped up into his head, Sehun made the conclusion Baekhyun had probably just given up. But was that what he wanted?

He wanted Baekhyun to show affection towards him, and he had for the past few days, but all Sehun did was ignore him, because he was afraid to be lied to. But what if Baekhyun hadn’t been lying, then Sehun had just left him sitting there for days without even letting Baekhyun know he saw everything.

The worried feeling inside of him welled and he hurriedly dialed Baekhyun’s phone number, he had to make sure the elder was okay, but he didn’t get the conformation he wanted…

He dialed the number four more times, but no one picked up. He quickly searched for Baekhyun’s company phone number, but again, no luck after trying it a few times.

Sehun cursed to himself as he grabbed his coat and car keys, storming out of the now empty apartment.

He ran to his car and sped off towards Baekhyun’s house, but only to be disappointed once again.

“I saw Master Byun when he left for work this morning, but he hasn’t come home yet.” the maid said who greeted Sehun at the door. So again, he ran towards his car to make his way towards the office.

He wasn’t sure if he could even access the building this late at night, considering it was already past 10PM, so he felt a huge relief when he saw a few lights still on in the building as soon as he parked his car.

He quickly made his way inside and didn’t take the time wait for the elevator, but instead ran up the stairs, all the way to the top floor. Out of breath and covered in sweat Sehun arrived at his and Baekhyun’s shared office. He turned the lights on and halted his steps as he saw the office was empty.

“…” he cursed while slamming his fist on the doorpost. Sehun felt like he really screwed up, he blamed himself for not being able to find Baekhyun.

“Okay Sehun… calm down” he mumbled to himself “Maybe he’s just at Jongdae’s place or maybe he’s out having a business diner.”

He knew he was lying to himself, because he couldn’t get rid of that one feeling deep inside of him, the feeling that Baekhyun wasn’t doing okay.

Calling Jongdae now was the best option, maybe he was there after all, and if not he would probably know where Baekhyun was right now. He reached inside his pocket, but realised he left his phone in the car. “You idiot…”

He could run all the way back to his car, but he suddenly noticed Baekhyun’s company phone on his desk. He walked over to it but suddenly froze in front of Baekhyun’s desk.

The small black box, the exact same one that Sehun had been holding in this office three days ago, was still were he had left it.

“Baekhyun? Ooh…”

Sehun quickly turned around when he heard a familiar voice behind him, and watched how Junmyeon came walking up to him.

“I assumed Baekhyun was here when I saw the lights on.”

“I’m sorry Mr. Kim.” Sehun bowed to his COO “I don't wanna disturb you.”

“It’s okay Sehun, I was just hoping Baekhyun was here, since it’s his fault I’m still here at this time doing the work he should normally do.”

“I-Is he doing alright?” Sehun asked with shaking voice. He wasn’t sure if Junmyeon was going to be mad at him for not showing up to work, and probably being the reason he had given him extra work.

“I think you know the answer to that Sehun. But let’s say he hasn’t done any work or went to any of his meetings since you decided to not show up, hence to why i’m in charge now until he returns.”

“I-I’m really sorry Mr Kim.” Sehun made another deep bow.

“Sehun.” Junmyeon grabbed Sehun’s shoulder and pushed them up, making Sehun stand up straight again “It’s not too late.” It was like Junmyeon knew what he was going to ask. “He hasn’t said where he was going, but I’m almost sure that I know where he’s hiding now.”

“Can you tell me?”

“I will, but I have to warn you it’s a long drive, probably about three hours. And you have to promise me one thing.”

“Anything.” Anything for Baekhyun at this moment. Sehun was worried, and because of this feeling he had pretty much made up his mind. He didn’t want to leave Baekhyun, he was at least going to give him a chance to talk because it was unfair he hadn’t given Baekhyun that chance before.

“Bring him back.”

Sehun just nodded to Junmyeon as an answer, and he received a small smile back. He made his way out of the office after receiving the address from the COO, but as he reached the stairs, he suddenly remembered something and turned around. When he ran back to the office he already saw Junmyeon standing there with a smile on his face and his hand stretched out, displaying the item he was looking for.   

“I think you forgot this.”

 

Sehun cursed to himself when he saw the big, black gate blocking him from driving up to the house. Of course he should’ve expected not to be able to drive up to the house owned by the CEO of a security system company, especially since Baekhyun’s own mansion was also heavily secured.

His whole plan would be totally ruined but going back after such a drive would be stupid and he was not backing out anymore. He slowly drove closer to the gate until the intercom was right outside of his opened window. Sehun also noticed a keypad on the device, and he wondered if the code he got from Baekhyun to enter his mansion, would also work on this one. But before he could even try it out, a green light and some text appeared on the small screen saying ‘Licence plate recognised. Access granted’.

He watched how the gate in front of him slowly opened while he was still wondering why his car was registered in this house’s system. As he got closer to the house he noticed Baekhyun’s car parked to the side of the house and felt relieved, he finally had prove he didn’t drive all this time for nothing.

The house was nothing as he had expected, it was the complete opposite of his mansion back in Seoul. This wasn’t a big, white, modern house, but instead he stood in front of a rather traditional looking wooden cabin at the foot of a snowy mountain. The fresh snow that was falling made everything even more beautiful than it already was, covering the whole house and forest around him in white.

He parked the car right behind the fence, being too scared that driving any closer would immediately get him noticed. Sehun got out of the car, closed his door carefully and started walking towards the cabin. The snow lightly crunched under his feet and he could feel his heartbeat speed up, maybe Baekhyun wouldn’t even want him back, maybe he would throw him out as soon as he saw him.   

Sehun arrived at the front door, but waited before pressing the doorbell. He wanted to surprise the elder, and this was kind of going to ruin it.

So instead of letting Baekhyun know someone was at the door, Sehun started trying to find his own way in. He stared to make a circle around the house, careful to not appear right in front of a window. He could see there were a few small lights on in the house, but he hadn’t seen or heard any sign of Baekhyun actually being inside.

At the back of house he noticed two big glass sliding doors, he walked up to them and slowly peeked around the corner. He looked straight into the living room, but he still couldn't spot the elder. He noticed the TV was on, and there was a drink on the table, steam still raising form the mug, giving Sehun an indication that someone had just been in that room not too long ago.

Next to the sliding doors he noticed another security device. As he took a closer look he noticed it was a fingerprint scanner and he doubted if this one would let him in silently. Maybe an alarm would go off if Sehun wasn’t registered in the system, so he continued his walk to find a possible other way in, even though he knew all doors to this house would be as heavily secured as the others.

When he arrived at the right side of the house he noticed some footsteps in the snow, the were barely visible so they probably were from earlier today, but he still decided to follow them, hoping that maybe they would lead them to Baekhyun.  

After following the trail for about a minute, he stopped and held his breath. In front of him was a frozen lake, reflecting the light from the stars and the bright moon above. The view was breathtaking and Sehun could imagine why Baekhyun would come here whenever he needed to get rid of the stress his daily life as CEO brought him.

He just stood there for a few minutes, his eyes closed, forgetting why he was here and just enjoying the peaceful environment. The sounds of the wind rustling through the trees and even wolves howling in the distance was making him feel calm, like his mind was cleared all at once. But what he did fail to hear was the light crunching of the snow behind him, and only when he opened his eyes and saw something move in the corner of his eyes and a voice spoke right behind him.

“Sehun...”

 


 

Please subscribe, comment and upvote if you liked it <333