A 'Small' Gift

The Intern

It was monday again and Sehun couldn’t believe he’d already been working at this place for a week. After shadowing the COO’s assistant for the past few days he was pretty excited to finally work on his own now, but it was also kinda scary.

Baekhyun's planning was now Sehun’s full responsibility. His boss had offered to help him out if needed but Sehun insisted on doing it on his own. He wanted to prove himself and he was happy Baekhyun had enough faith in him to actually let him do it all alone. His first morning had already been stressful though.

Baekhyun was gone for a meeting and so Sehun didn't only have to handle all the incoming phone calls, but also all the questions and requests from people inside the company.

With a deep sigh he placed his lunch on the table and sat down.

“Having a rough day?”

“I knew Mr. Byun was busy, but I never knew he was that busy.”

Jongdae put his hand on Sehun's shoulder and grabbed it firmly “Don't worry kid, Monday's are always the worst. Besides, I'm pretty sure Baekhyun made a mess of his own schedule the past few weeks when he had to do it himself.”

Jongdae was right. Sehun had been busy fixing his boss’ messy planning. Sometimes there were intern meetings planned at times Baekhyun wasn't even present at the company, or at times even two appointments at the same time.

“Yeah it's a real pain to fix all of it,” Sehun said with a small laugh “But it's what I'm here for.”

“That’s true, he's really glad to have you here, he wouldn’t shut up about you all weekend. I guess he has been treating you well so far?”

“Yeah, he's been nothing but nice to me, I'm happy to work for him. Why are you asking?” Sehun was curious about that. He had of course heard the rumors of Baekhyun being a bad employer but he had absolutely no idea where they came from.

“Just curious...” Jongdae answered while taking a sip from his coffee and looking away from Sehun.

“Do you like… know Mr. Byun? As in personally?”

Jongdae put his coffee down in front of him and just looked at his hands which were warming themselves around the steaming mug. “We went to highschool together and we were pretty good friends, but after Baekhyun dropped out we lost contact. Then I came to work for him again 6 years ago and he just… he changed.”

“Changed? How?” Sehun heard the sadness in Jongdae's voice and it made him feel bad for the elder. He realised this could happen to Jongin and himself too at any moment, even when they swore to stay friends for the rest of their lives.

“The Baekhyun I knew was shy, friendly, humble. When we first met at the company we immediately became friends again but it's not the same as it used to be. Baekhyun has grown into a real business man, not that that's a bad thing, he still has his heart in the right place, he just has a hard time showing it.”

“So is everything they say true? Because I haven't experienced him as anything else than a good boss and friendly person in general.”

“Then you probably haven't met the real Mr. Byun yet.”


 

Sehun had just finished fixing the last part of Baekhyun’s schedule for this week when he looked at the clock on the wall. It was almost 3PM and Sehun was waiting patiently for his boss to return from his appointment. He was supposed to arrive back about an hour ago and Sehun was wondering what took him so long.

He looked at the schedule and saw Baekhyun had a board meeting in 5 minutes and began worrying that his boss wouldn't arrive in time. But just as he was about to grab his phone and message him, the doors flew open.

“Sorry I'm late.”

Sehun just watched Baekhyun rush into his own office and Sehun followed him.

“How was the appointment? Were there difficulties?” Sehun thought maybe something went wrong and that was the reason it had taken longer than planned.

“No everything was fine, I just had to make a quick stop on my way back.”

Sehun just stood there while Baekhyun was hurriedly looking for something in his bag.

“Finally.” Baekhyun sighed and he took out a square box the size of his hand and held it out in front of Sehun. When Sehun just stood there confused, not knowing what Baekhyun wanted him to do, his boss walked closer. “Here, take this.”

“What is it?”

“A small gift for your hard work.”

He carefully took the box out of Baekhyun’s hand and opened it. Inside there was a very expensive looking watch. He slowly took it out of the box and held it right in front of his face. It was a black steel and golden watch, and when he saw the brand name engraved in the dial he stopped breathing for a second. This watch was probably worth a few thousand dollars if not more.

“I… I can’t take this.” he put the watch back in the box and put it on his boss’ desk. “I won’t accept it.”

“Come on Sehun, it’s really nothing. Don’t worry about it. I just wanted to give you something because you’ve been doing so well, and what is more fitting than a watch for someone who keeps track of my schedule? Anyways, I need to go to the meeting” Baekhyun grabbed his laptop and some files before walking towards the door, but he turned around just before he closed the it behind him. “Oh I almost forgot. Go out to dinner with me tonight.”

“W-what?” Did his boss just really ask him out to dinner?

“I was supposed to go with a business partner to discuss some stuff but he called me this morning that he had to cancel. But I already made the reservation so I might as well take someone else.”

“I… I don’t know.”

“This meeting probably won’t end before five so I probably won’t see you anymore today.Text me when you’ve decided okay?”

With a sweet smile Baekhyun walked out of the office, leaving Sehun frozen in place and staring at his boss’ desk, biting the inside of his cheek when he saw the rejected present.

 

“I think this one will fit you the best, although it will probably still be a bit big on you.” Sehun turned away from his laptop and looked at the suit Jongin was holding up behind him.

Sehun’s own nice suit was still at the dry cleaner's so he had asked his friend to lend him one of his for tonight’s special occasion.

“I’ll try it on in a minute, just place it on my bed.”

He turned back to his phone screen and returned his focus to what he was doing.

“Why are you googling that? Don't tell me you have a huge secret bank account and you’re gonna buy one of these are you?”

Sehun had expected Jongin to leave the room but instead the other stood right behind him, curiously looking at his screen as well.

“No.. I just… I was wondering since I saw someone at work with one of these.”

“Yeah no wonder, people in there probably earn enough money each month to get one of these. Anyways, let me know if this one fits, if not I’ll get you another one.”

Jongin was about to walk away but turned back at the last moment. “Wait, is this…” He leaned forward to take a better look at Sehun’s desk and suddenly spotted the shiny watch right in front of his roommate. “Holy Sehun, how did you get this?!”

Sehun just remained silent while he watched Jongin grab the watch and study it up close “You didn’t steal this one right?” Jongin asked with raised eyebrows.

“No! Of course not! I got it as a gift...”

“A gift?! Who gave you something this expensive, do you have any idea how much this thing is worth?”

“I got it from my boss. And that’s what I was looking up, because I was curious too... It retails for just over $18.000 dollars.”

“So that’s why you’re going on this date with your boss, he’s just spoiling you.” Jongin carefully placed the watch back on Sehun’s desk and grabbed the suit again “Come on, let’s get you in this.”

“It’s not a date okay?” Sehun started taking his clothes off and threw them on the floor “I told you it’s supposed to be a business dinner but it got canceled.”

“Sure.” Jongin said with a smile but Sehun looked at him with a pout. “Alright, I’ll stop teasing you. Why does he give you such an expensive gift though? Like you can buy a decent car with that money.”

“Maybe he'll buy me that next.” Sehun said laughing and Jongin joined him.

“Let him know that if he wants to give you a house there needs to be some room for me too.”

The two kept joking about silly and expensive gifts Baekhyun could give Sehun while he got into the suit. When he finally had everything on he looked at himself in the mirror.

“I need to hit the gym more…”

The two friends were pretty much the same height but Jongin was more muscular than him. The suit didn’t look bad but one or two sizes smaller would’ve probably been better for him, though it was good enough for tonight.

“Well if you wouldn’t have gone on a date with that old guy tonight you could’ve gone with me.”

Sehun gave Jongin a small push against his chest “I hate you, thanks for letting me borrow this though.”

“No problem, just don’t get it dirty. I don’t want stains on my good suit.”

“You know I’m a very neat eater, you’re always the one that makes a mess during dinner.”

“I wasn’t talking about food stains.”