Not a Fairytale

The Intern

As expected, Minseok’s house was impressive. Not as big and grand as Baekhyun’s mansion, but still something Sehun himself could never dream of owning. The big wooden stairs and pillars that decorated the hallway distracted Sehun so much that he almost forgot to follow the elder.

“Are you coming?”

“Yeah, sorry…” he quickly continued to follow Minseok who motioned for him to sit down as soon as they reached the living room.

“You want anything to drink? Coffee? Wine? Something stronger?”

“No… no I’m fine, thanks.”

“Alright, wait here.”

Sehun looked around him while Minseok walked off. The living room was only slightly smaller than Baekhyun’s. But whereas Baekhyun’s was very modern, maybe even kind of boring with everything black and white, Minseok’s was the opposite. The walls were decorated by large, dark wooden panels with an occasional golden wall chandelier or impressive painting. Most of the furniture was also made of dark wood and often combined with some red velvet. It felt like Sehun had stepped in some sort of medieval room, warm and luxurious, but also mysterious and even eery.

When Minseok came back he sat down opposite to Sehun “I really don’t like to meddle around in Baekhyun’s private life. So I hope you know I’m not really sitting down here for my own amusement right now.”

Minseok looked really intimidating at this moment, sitting back on the couch with his legs crossed and a glass of red wine in his hands. The only light source was coming from the fireplace behind him, causing a moody ambiance in the room. Sehun suddenly started wondering if it had been a good idea to come here after all.

“I… understand.”

“Good, so you wanted to know why he’s mad at you right?” he said after taking a sip of his glass “Do you have any idea?”

“Not really. I mean, I do have an idea but it’s impossible.”

“Tell me.”

Sehun probably would’ve protested and asked the person to talk first in any other situation, but he knew he already should be thankful that Minseok allowed him to come and talk. “Something happened last Friday, with a girl…”

“Go on.” Sehun saw Minseok’s smirk and knew this was it. He still had no clue how, but it was probably the best idea to explain what happened right now.

 

“So you’ve bought a new house, and a new car? Damn Jongin should I ask what shady business you’re in to earn all this money?”

“The house is Kyungsoo’s remember? I’m just moving in.” Sehun followed Jongin across the dark parking lot to check out Jongin’s new car. “I know it’s not as impressive as yours, but I have to say I’m pretty proud of what I managed to buy with my own money.”

“Is that supposed to mean anything?”

“No, I would choose your gifted supercar over my inferior self earned one. Just saying it kinda feels good to know I worked hard for this.”

Sehun had to admit it sometimes felt a bit weird to drive around in a car that he would never be able to pay for himself. Of course he worked hard at Baekhyun’s company too, but so much that he earned this car? Not really.

“Alright, here it is? What do you think?”

They reached the edge of their apartment parking lot  and stood in front of a simple, black family car.

“Already planning for kids?”

“No.” Jongin playfully hit Sehun's his arm “I just got this one for a really good price, and who knows. We might need this space sooner than expected.”

“Can I drive it for a bit? Just quickly around the block?”

“Yeah sure.”Jongin handed Sehun the keys to the car “It’s probably gonna feel like compared to yours.”

Sehun was about to open the door when the noise of a car stopping at the sidewalk just a few meters away from them. It was a taxi, and he noticed that Jongin too was focusing on the newly arrived vehicle.

It was already dark outside but thanks to the lights on the parking lot, they could see the outline of a woman stepping out of the taxi. Another person, probably the driver, stepped out and helped her take the suitcase out of the trunk.

“Wait Sehun… Is that… no it can’t be.”

Sehun squinted his eyes and had to admit, this girl looked strangely familiar, but there wasn’t enough light for him to see exactly who it was.

The taxi left and both Sehun and Jongin kept curiously looking at the mysterious girl, who was looking around her like she had never been to this place before. Then she suddenly noticed the two boys too. “Sehun!”

Sehun didn’t know why the girl just called his name, or how she knew who he was, but the voice was familiar...

“Dude I told you it’s her.” Jongin said with slight fear in his voice but Sehun still didn’t know who he was talking about until she stepped onto the parking lot, the lamppost finally revealing her identity and Sehun’s eyes went wide.

“Soomin…”

She ran over to him, embraced him and without giving Sehun any time to react, kissed him right on the lips. It took Sehun a few seconds before he knew what was going on but then quickly pushed her away, making her stumble back on her high heels.

“What the Soomin?” he said with anger in his voice.

“Aren’t you happy to see mee? Sehun I’m finally back.” she was smiling, even though she just almost got pushed to the ground.

“He’s not.” Jongin said and he grabbed Sehun’s arm, dragging him back towards their apartment. “Crazy .”

“Hey let him go!” she creamed and they could hear her heels quickly clattering on the ground, meaning she was running after them.

“You need to off.” Jongin suddenly screamed as he turned around and pointed at her “I don’t know how you got our address but you better never show your ugly mug again. I would normally never hit girls but for you I would gladly make an exception.”

They were back inside but Sehun didn’t really know what just happened. It all went so fast and he just didn’t know how to feel about it. Yes it was strange but he had Baekhyun now, even if he still would have feelings for her, he’d have someone way better right now. So instead of worrying about it he put on a movie and sat on the couch until he fell asleep, dreaming about how happy he would be seeing Baekhyun again after the weekend.

 

“So who was she?”

“My ex… we broke up about 4 years ago when she left for America to study.” When Sehun broke up with her she became stalkery. She would message everyday asking him to take her back, call a few times a week and if Sehun didn’t pick up she would put in hour long voicemail messages. Even Sehun’s friends weren’t exempt from her tyranny and she would even message them and ask them to talk to Sehun “I didn’t really want to sit here and wait for her to come back while she could be hanging around while all kinds of American boys without me knowing.”

“Why not? Isn’t that like one of those beautiful fairy tale stories?” Minseok stood up from his chair and walked toward the fireplace, his glass of wine still loosely in his hand. “Two lovers being apart for years, reunited after such a long wait. Sound like a perfectly romantic story.”

Sehun didn’t answer. Not because he didn’t know how to answer, but more because of the way Minseok was talking to him right now, almost scaring Sehun.

“Aah but you know fairytales don’t exist.” Minseok turned around and walked right towards Sehun, squatting down in front of him. “You’re smart Sehun, just in a really dumb situation if I assume what you’re telling is the truth.”

“It-it is.”

“You see Baekhyun is smart too, he’s just been in a lot of… similar situations. Not that that wasn’t his own fault, but this time something is different.”

“Why?’ Sehun asked and watched how Minseok stood back up and returned to his seat.  

“Let’s say Baekhyun has been in numerous relationships, if you even wanna call them that, where people are just after his money. He knew most of the times but just didn’t care, as long as he got his fill of fun out of it, it was okay. It’s not that hard to dump someone anyways. But you,” Minseok pointed at Sehun “You, did something to him. You made him care.”

Sehun basically knew all of this. He heard it before from Jongdae, from Junmyeon and some others. Baekhyun had apparently been different around him than with other people form the past.

“Now let’s not waste anymore time and get to the point. Yes Baekhyun saw you with that girl, didn’t take the time to ask you for an explanation, but instead let his anger and jealousy take over. I’m not particularly surprised about this, the man has a temper. But he acts like this because he’s hurt, you’re the first person he truly cared more for than a friend. Maybe you should-”

“Hey Min, who’s car is tha-”    

Both Sehun and Minseok looked at the hallway door that suddenly had opened and showed a surprised Jongdae.

“What is he doing here?” he said pointing at Sehun “Get out.”

“Jongdae, I’m actually glad you stopped by unexpected. Come sit down.” Minseok stood up and walked towards Jongdae.

“Not before this kid is gone.”

“This is my house so I decide who stays.” Minseok took a slightly struggling Jongdae by his arm and dragged him towards Sehun, plopping him down on a chair next to him.

Sehun still wondered how Minseok had gotten Jongdae so far to listen to what he had to tell him. He already knew Jongdae wasn’t happy with him, and for a very understandable reason. He would probably be furious too if someone did something to hurt Jongin. As more time passed Jongdae seemed to have calmed down and he was even considering helping Sehun.

“I.. I don’t know… It seems like I’m betraying Baekhyun. I shouldn’t even sit here talking to you right now.”

“But you are,” Minseok said “And how exactly is this betraying Baekhyun? He was happy when he was with Sehun right? Happier than he is now.”

Jongdae nodded “Yeah…”

“Then you’re only helping him. Help Sehun get him back and be happy again.”

Jongdae looked at Sehun “So I guess you want me to talk to Baekhyun? That shouldn’t be too hard.”

“Well…” Sehun said hesitantly “I want you to get him to talk to me.”

“Talk to you? He’s never going to do that, I even proposed that a few days ago but he just acted like he didn’t hear what I said. I can tell him what you just told me, wouldn’t that be way easier?”

“I want to talk to him myself…”

Jongdae sighed and Sehun was afraid he was going to back out of this plan. “Alright, on one condition.”

Sehun happily nodded his head “Yeah of course, anything you want.”

“If you two become a thing again, make sure he keeps his hands to himself at work, I’m sick of these complaints.”

 

“Sehun, are you okay?”

“Yeah… I’m fine.” Sehun got taken out of his thoughts by Jongin.

“You sure?”

The loud music slowly got into his head again and he suddenly was in need of some fresh air. “I just need a quick bathroom break, I’ll be back.”

He didn’t know why he agreed to go to this crowded club tonight with Jongin and some of their other friends, but he was already regretting his decision. He moved away from his little group and found his way through the crowd. Luckily the bathroom was pretty quiet, giving him some time and space to splash some water in his face and gather his thoughts.

He agreed with Jongin when he said he needed this time from home, that just waiting for news from Jongdae while sitting in the couch wasn’t going to help him. It had been four days now since he’s been at Minseok’s place, but he still hadn’t heard anything from the couple. But even being at this place, where he should be having a good time with his friends, he couldn’t get it out of his head.  

He fixed his hair before leaving the bathroom and stepping back into the club where the dance music was still blasting. He really didn’t want to be here all night with a bored expression on his face, and he knew Jongin wouldn’t let him go home either. So instead of returning to his friends, he first stopped by the bar to get himself a drink. Maybe if he just tossed back a few drinks he would be more relaxed and carefree.

Sehun thanked the bartender and downed the two shots he ordered right after each other. He closed his eyes for a few seconds, letting the nasty, bitter taste overwhelm him. He was probably gonna regret drinking tomorrow morning, but if this was the only way to have fun tonight, he was prepared to suffer the consequences.

But he knew fun was the last thing he was going to have tonight as soon as he opened his eyes and noticed two people sitting all the way on the others end of the bar. He squinted his eyes to make sure he was seeing this right, but there was no doubt. Sehun took a few steps towards the two but stopped at a safe distance. If Sehun had been drinking more he’d definitely thought he’d be hallucinating, but this was real.

Suddenly the taller one of the two looked his way and seemed to recognise him, tapping the other one the shoulder and pointing Sehun’s way. When the smaller one looked right at Sehun it confirmed his suspicions. The fake glasses, hat and mask couldn’t fool Sehun, this face was way too familiar to him.

“Baek…”

 


 

a/n First of all sorry for not updating for so long ;_; I had a bit of a writers block but mainly my health and social life wasn't allowing me to write much in the past weeks. But I'm back, hopefully the next one won't take that long. Thanks for all the nice comments that I recieved in the meantime <3

But there you go, another cliffhanger. You guys probably hate me by now lol.

And lastly, Happy Sehun Day <3