Failure

The Intern

Sehun let out a heavy sigh as he slowly dressed himself. His whole body was sore from moving Jongin’s stuff over to Kyungsoo’s new place all weekend and helping them remodeling it. Sitting at an office chair all day wasn’t something Sehun was looking forward to, but he was excited to see Baekhyun again.

He knew the elder wasn’t feeling well before the weekend and hadn’t heard anything from him the past two days. Sehun himself had been so busy that he decided to leave his boss alone and rest for a bit, now hoping that he would feel better and appear at work.

With the thought of seeing his boyfriend again, he went to work much happier than he had been waking up this morning. He even caught himself almost running through the lobby out of excitement. He watched how the number on the floor counter in the elevator went up, feeling his excitement change into nervousness, his heartbeat speeding up and his breath becoming more heavy. Sehun looked down at his hands and started fidgeting with the ring on his thumb, slowly moving it toward his ring finger. He really wished to have a different ring on there one day.

Sehun was taken out of his thoughts by the elevator doors opening, revealing the hallway leading to his own workspace. He started telling himself not to get too excited, maybe the elder didn’t even feel better yet and he would step into an completely empty office.

Preparing for the worst he grabbed the keys to his office and tried to open the door, but he couldn’t. The door was already opened, which he assumed meant Baekhyun had already arrived to work.

A smile appeared on his face and he opened the door full of confidence, only to lose it right away when he saw an unfamiliar face in his own working spot. It was a young man, probably two or three years older than himself, a very handsome one if he had to be honest.

“Can I help you? Do you have an appointment?” he spoke with a deep voice as he looked up and noticed Sehun in the doorway.

“Who are you?” Was this maybe a new trainee or intern since Sehun had technically moved on from that position now? But why wouldn’t have Baekhyun told him that?

“Sir I’m sorry, do you have an appointment with Mr. Byun?” the man asked again.

Sehun decided to not answer the man and ignore him, walking straight toward the door that connected his office to Baekhyun’s.

“Hey, stop!” the guy stood up and quickly stood in front of Sehun before he could open the door. He was tall, just a few centimeters taller than Sehun himself, but enough to intimidate him since he rarely ran into people that were taller than him. “Sir I can’t let you in before you tell me if you have an appointment or not.”

“Get out of my way.” Sehun said with a slightly shaking voice, thinking about pushing the guy to the side if he was going to prevent him from walking through the door any longer.

“Sir I’ll have to call security if you’re not gonna cooperate. Take a seat, get yourself a glass of water and calm down.”

Sehun looked the guy right in the eyes. Maybe he should calm down, he didn’t even know what was going on and maybe he was getting angry over nothing, but somehow he felt like something was very wrong. “Let me though.” he said with a calm voice after taking a deep breath.

“No.”

“Let me through.” now slightly louder.

“No.”

“Let me through this ing door!” he said while slamming on the door, right above the man’s shoulder. What was this guy thinking? He grabbed the guy by the collar and pulled him down slightly “Do you have any ing idea who I am? If your boss finds out how you treated his boyfr-”

Sehun stopped talking when he saw the door open right in front of him and Baekhyun’s face appear. “Chanyeol what is going on here… oh…”

Sehun let go of Chanyeol and smiled to his boyfriend, but surprisingly, there was no smile, or even a sign of happiness in return from the elder.

“Are you okay?” Baekhyun asked, but not towards Sehun, he was looking at the now guy, who apparently was named Chanyeol.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Chanyeol answered “This young man wanted to enter your office without permission.”

“Baekhyun what is going on? Who is he?” Sehun asked confused about this situation.

“Chanyeol, there is a blue folder somewhere on my desk. Can you bring it to me please.” Baekhyun said looking at the new guy.

“Of course sir.” Sehun watched Chanyeol walk into Baekhyun’s office.

“I’m surprised you even dare to show your face in here.” Baekhyun said as soon as the door closed behind him.

“What do you mean?” Sehun really had no idea what was going on. Was Baekhyun mad about him not messaging all weekend? Was there something he did he didn’t know about?

“Don’t act like you’re dumb.”

“Baek I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t you dare call me that. It’s Mr. Byun for you now.” Baekhyun’s voice was getting louder and Sehun was only getting more confused.

“Baekhyun what is going on?” he was basically begging now for an explanation now. “What did I do?”

Baekhyun didn’t answer him when Chanyeol came back from his office and handed him the folder he asked for. “Thank you Chanyeol. Here.” He handed Sehun the folder, who curiously opened it, would this have the answer to his questions?

By seeing the logo of his University on top of the first page, Sehun immediately knew what this was. He quickly read through the papers, but the more handwritten words from his boss he read, the harder it got for him to not burst into tears. “You can’t do this…”

“I certainly can. Now get out before I call security. Don’t show your face in front of me ever again.” Baekhyun had an evil look on his face, like he was enjoying the pain that Sehun was feeling right now. “Come on Chan.” Sehun watched how the elder put his hand around the new guys waist and dragged him with him in his office, a smirk on his face just before he turned around and closed the door.

Sehun didn’t know how long he stood there just looking at the door, hoping that Baekhyun would suddenly come out and say this is all a joke, but it didn’t happen. He wiped the tears on his cheeks with his sleeve and turned around, taking slow steps towards the elevator and trying to to start crying again as the image of Baekhyun shouting at him and putting that arm around Chanyeol’s waist kept popping up in his head again.

He was only halfway his trip down the building when the elevator doors suddenly opened and Jongdae stepped in, immediately looking the other way as soon as he noticed Sehun.

Sehun looked at the elder who acted like they had never met before.

“Jongdae?”

Sehun’s voice was shaky and full of sadness, but there was no response.

“Mr. Kim… please help me.”

He was still getting ignored and silent tears were slowly streaming down his face. The elevator stopped again and the doors opened, but as Jongdae wanted to step out Sehun grabbed his arm out of desperation. “Please…”

Jongdae turned around and Sehun saw the fury in his eyes. “Don’t you ever talk to me again you ing liar.” he pulled his arm out of Sehun’s grip and walked away, but not before turning around and one more time. “And if I ever see you around Baekhyun again, I’m beating you up with my own two hands.”

The doors closed, leaving Sehun on his own again. He held his hands in front of his face and cried out loud, dropping the folder onto the ground. The papers fell out of it and spread around on the elevator floor, the very last one on top with a big red cross in the checkmark box saying ‘failed internship’.

 

“You look like .”

“Thanks.”

Sehun stepped aside so Jongin could enter his apartment, the other was looking around with a disgusted face as soon as he stepped in. “When was the last time you cleaned?”

“I don’t know…. Since you left.”

“I can see that, this place is disgusting.”

Sehun looked around as well and couldn’t blame his friend for saying that. The table was full of empty plates, some even with unfinished meals. Empty bottles on the floor everywhere, most of them being beer. “Yeah… maybe.”

“It’s been almost four days Sehun, isn’t it time to get over it already and at least take a goddamn shower? You smell like a junkyard.”

After removing a pile of dirty clothes, Sehun sat down on the couch. “Get over it sounds like good advice…”

“Sehun I’m serious.” Jongin said as he said down next to him “Your exams are in what? Six weeks? You don’t have time to sit around here and do nothing for much longer, you have to start preparing. I know this whole situation but why not concentrate on school first and then worry about this whole situation?”

“Well I don’t wanna ruin your beautiful idea, but I’m not doing my exams.”

“Why not?”

“Because my internship hadn’t been signed as ‘passed’ by Mr. Byun.”

“Wait what?… Why didn’t you tell me before?”

Sehun didn’t know why he had left that detail out when he had told his best friend what happened. Probably because after he told the first part, Jongin just kept cursing and screaming and Sehun didn’t really get the chance to tell him more. Also he felt ashamed, that he didn’t fight for this and just went home without even protesting the elder once.

“He can’t just fail you because you two have personal problems, didn’t you have a guy who could sign for you?”

“Yeah, Jongdae told me he could sign too if my school didn’t approve of Baekhyun since we were in a relationship, but he kinda threatened me on Monday so I don’t think he’ll be willing to help me out.”

“So what are you gonna do now, when do you have to hand in your evaluation?”

“Tomorrow.” Sehun didn’t know what he was going to do. There was nothing he really could do. Baekhyun wasn’t going to change his mind, Jongdae wasn’t either, those were the only two who could help him.

“So you’re basically ed.”

“Basically.”

Jongin forced Sehun to get into the shower while he cleaned up the apartment for him. Sehun had to admit that cleaning himself up had felt really good, also the apartment looking fresh again lightened up his mood a bit. But as soon as Jongin was gone and he was left again alone with only his own thoughts, things seemed dark again.

His relationship was over, at least he assumed, he wasn’t going to be able to do his exams, and the fact that he was living here all on his own now hit him really hard. But Jongin had been right, he couldn’t sit here for much longer and do nothing, he would only get more miserable over time.

His problem with Baekhyun probably wasn’t going to be solved because he was pretty sure the elder refused to speak with him. Jongin wasn’t coming back either, even though he was pretty sure he would if he asked him, he didn’t want his friend to leave Kyungsoo. So there was only one problem left he could possibly solve now.

Maybe he should contact school, tell them everything that happened and hope they would try and talk to Baekhyun. The problem was that he was pretty embarrassed only thinking of being fully open to his teacher about his relationship with his now ex-boss. He also didn’t think Baekhyun would change his mind, he wasn’t the type to forgive people, and whatever it was that Sehun did wrong, he probably wouldn’t make an exception for him.

If Baekhyun wasn't prepared to talk he needed to move onto the next person, which was Jongdae, but Jongdae was Baekhyun’s best friend, and would definitely be on his friend’s side.

Sehun sighed and buried his head in his hands, there had to be a way to at least ask Jongdae why Baekhyun was mad at him, that was where the problem started in the first place. After sitting there for a minute just thinking, he suddenly got an idea. He grabbed his laptop form the table and opened it on his lap. This was his laptop he occasionally used for work so he quickly looked for his list of contacts, and he quickly found the phone number of the person he was looking for.

He put the laptop aside and grabbed his phone, dialing the number on his screen and waiting patiently until the person picked up.

“Hello?”

“Mr. Kim., It’s Sehun, Oh Sehun. I hope I’m not bothering you.”

“Aah Sehun. No not really.”

Sehun was thankful Minseok still remembered who he was, he didn’t know how much Baekhyun had talked about him in his private life and how often the two saw each other. “Good, thank you. I’m calling you because I need your help?”

“My help? Alright, I kinda have an idea where this is going.”

“Did you talk to Mr. Byun?” he was scared of the answer, because it would make a huge difference.

“I haven’t, but let’s say Jongdae has told me some things went down between you and Baekhyun. I really don’t know how you want me to help you with that.”

“I need to talk to Jongdae.”

“Look, I don’t know everything about the situation, but I know he doesn’t wanna talk to you.”

“I know, and that is where I need your help. Please Mr. Kim.”

It took a few seconds but eventually he got the answer he wanted. “Alright. I’m listening.”

“I don’t know why Baekhyun is mad at me. I know Jongdae knows, so you probably know too.”

“For the most part, yes.”

“I just need someone to tell me, so I can possibly do justice to my part of the story or at least understand what I did wrong.”

“Okay, that’s fair. But even if you talk to me, what do you want me to do? Baekhyun is a stubborn person, I’m not going to be able to talk him out of this.”

“I know, that’s why I need Jongdae first. And you are the person who can get to him.”

He heard a small sigh coming from the other side of the line “Alright, I can’t promise you anything, but I’ll try if you impress me. I kinda have some work to do now so you can come over on the weekend if you want.”

Sehun was very glad the elder was prepared to tell him what was going on, but there was one problem “I kinda have to do this before tomorrow...”

“You’re not making it easy for me Sehun, it would be really simple for me to say no to you right now.” Sehun was about to say sorry to Minseok for bothering him and hang up, but the elder surprised him “But I liked you those two times we met, and I think it’s fair you at least get to hear why Baekhyun is mad at you. Meet me at my house tonight. I’ll text you my adress and the time.”

“Thank you so much Mr. Kim.”

Sehun ended the call with relief and saw a message pop up on his phone.

Jongin [16:23] I forgot to ask earlier, did she send you any messages after Friday?

Sehun had totally forgotten about the situation on Friday night but only thinking about it made him annoyed.

Sehun [16:24] Yes, but I didn’t answer her. Then she tried to call me a few times and I blocked her number.

Jongin [16:27] Good, just keep ignoring her. If she starts bothering you again just call me.

Sehun put his phone away and thought it was kinda odd. After Friday night he hadn’t heard anything from Baekhyun, the same night as the other stuff went down. Baekhyun couldn't be mad because of that right? No, he really couldn’t be, there was no way Baekhyun could’ve know that happened, and even if he did he would’ve known how it ended. But somehow, Sehun kept finding it strange and couldn’t help but to think the two events were connected somehow

 


 

I don't really know what to say, just that I hope you're all really anticipating the next chapter :)

Thanks for reading, commenting and upvoting <3

 

Also for anyone interested (and who hasn't read it yet), I made a short Sebaek fic for Valentines Day two weeks ago. So if you wanna read it, here is the link My Valentine Next Door