Christmas Night

The Intern

Sehun already regretted having invited his boss over… He was coming over in about 4 hours and their house was a big mess, he still had to get himself ready and he hadn’t started working on the dinner at all.

“I’m sorry Sehun, I know you told me it’s fine but... “

Sehun just sat on the couch while he watched his roommate put on his jacket “And I will tell you again, it’s okay Jongin.”

“Maybe… maybe I can ask Kyungsoo if he’s okay with you joining us?”

“No don’t do that, you really don’t have to.” he just wanted Jongin to go so he could finally start preparing for tonight. It’s not that he couldn’t have started earlier because he was lazy or had other stuff to do but he had been too embarrassed to tell Jongin that he had invited Baekhyun over.

“Are you alright? You look kinda nervous.”

“Yeah… yeah I’m fine. You just go have a fun night okay? Kyungsoo is probably waiting for you.”

Jongin gave him a suspicious look, he probably knew Sehun was hiding something but luckily didn’t ask any more questions. Instead, he picked up his bag and walked towards the door. “If you feel alone just text me okay? I’ll keep an eye on my phone.”

“Don't worry I'll be fine. Also don't worry about being coming home early tomorrow.” He didn't know why he added last part, Baekhyun would only stay for the evening. Right?

“Just know I don't mind if you message me, okay?” Jongin waved one last time before walking out and closing the door behind him which was Sehun’s queue to start working.

He quickly jumped up from his seat and started gathering all the empty glasses, plates and other leftovers from lunch and threw them on the kitchen counter. While waiting for the sink to fill up with hot water he looked around their apartment. Both Sehun himself and Jongin weren't really clean freaks, and that was apparent upon looking at their living area. He let out a deep sigh and put his hands on his hips, this was going to be a real chore.

 

More than 3 hours later he finally stood back in the kitchen but this time not to clean, but to actually cook. He placed all the ingredients on the counter and took a step back. He didn’t even know how to cook, but it seemed like a fun idea this year for him and Jongin to eat something homemade for Christmas instead of just throwing some food into the oven. And if he had still had to cook for Jongin he wouldn’t have been too worried, but this was for Baekhyun, it had to be perfect.  

He didn’t want to end up with any stains on his sweater so he quickly grabbed the pink apron he got from Jongin as a joke when he told his roommate he wanted to cook for Christmas and put it on. He pulled his phone from his pocket and searched for the recipe he found last week.

“Slice the potatoes,” he mumbled to himself  “spice them, cook the bacon, add the chopped vegetables and kimchi, sprinkle with cheese and put it in the oven… Alright Sehun, you can do this!” he didn’t really sound convinced but he was going to try his best.

 

The doorbell rang and Sehun panicked, he had been so busy cooking and totally forgot about the time. It was already 8pm, the time Baekhyun indeed said he would arrive, and the food wasn’t done but he didn’t want to let the elder wait too long for his food. He turned up the heat in the oven before quickly running towards the door and pressed the intercom. “Hello?”

“Hey Sehun it’s me. I’m downstairs, can you open the door for me?”

“Yeah sure. Actually… this complex can be a bit of a maze, I’ll come get you.” they had it happen before when they invited people and who were unable to find the right apartment so Sehun grabbed his keys and ran downstairs.

Out of breath, he opened the entrance door and he could swear he felt his heart skip a few beats. Baekhyun was dressed in black jeans along with a simple white shirt and a denim jacket. He didn’t even look like his boss anymore, this was a totally different person in front of him.

“Cute outfit.” Baekhyun said laughing and it took Sehun out of his thoughts.

He looked down and noticed he was still wearing the pink apron and slightly blushed. “Ooh this… I got is as a gift, I-I didn’t pick this color.”

“It looks cute, I like it.”

 

“So yeah, this is it.” Sehun opened the door for Baekhyun and the elder curiously entered their apartment.

“It’s so small.” Sehun had expected this reaction. As soon as you stepped through the front door you entered their combined living room and kitchen, which was probably the same size as Baekhyun’s bedroom. Besides that there was a bathroom and two bedrooms. It was small but it was all Jongin and Sehun could afford, with the both of them still being students.

“Yeah it is but, it has all we need so it’s fine.”

“I like it, it’s cozy. I sometimes question myself why I live alone in such a big house but I guess you get used to luxury really quick if you grow up with it.”

“Do you maybe want a tour?” Sehun knew it wasn’t much but since the food still had to heat up for a while he might as well keep his boss busy in the meantime.

“Yeah sure, I’d love to see your room.” Baekhyun answered with a wink and Sehun quickly looked away and just walked towards his bedroom.

They stepped in and Baekhyun curiously looked around but his eyes soon fell on Sehun’s desk. On the desk was a wrapped present that Sehun had actually bought for Jongin. It was a Christmas sweater that matched the one Sehun was wearing right now, but since Jongin was gone for tonight he hadn’t gotten the chance to give it to him. But now he had a better idea.

He rushed over to his desk and grabbed the present.

“I thought you said no presents?” Baekhyun said with one of his eyebrows raised and crossed his arms over his chest.

“I did but…” he already forgotten he had said that “I-I just didn't want you to spend more money on me.. you’ve already done that enough.”

“Just know I will still get you something now that you’ve done this.” the elder laughed.

“I just realised we haven’t even said a proper Merry Christmas to each other so yeah… I guess this is the right moment.” he held out the present in front of Baekhyun “Merry Christmas Mr. Byun.”

“I don’t want it anymore.”

Sehun was confused  and lowered the present. “W-why… What’s wrong?”

“I’ll only accept it if you call me Baekhyun. You didn’t want a formal setting so you’re gonna call me by my first name.”

“Alright fine…” it was weird to Sehun to actually call his boss ‘Baekhyun’, even though he always did it in his head, saying it out loud was different. He took a deep breath before holding the present in front of the other again. “Merry Christmas Baekhyun.”

“Merry Christmas Sehun.” he answered while taking the present from his hands. Sehun watched in anticipation while Baekhyun took off the wrappings and held back a laugh when he saw the elder’s face.

“It’s… special.”

“Come on wear it. It might be a bit big though, they only had one size...” the last thing was a lie of course. Since Jongin was a lot taller than his boss the so sweater would probably be a bit oversized.

Baekhyun held it out in front of him and slightly tilted his head. “You want me to wear this?”

“Hey I’m not gonna be the only one looking like an idiot here. Put it on!”

Baekhyun let out a deep sigh and took off his own jacket, replacing it for the sweater decorated with little Santas and reindeer. “Happy now?”

Sehun saw the slight smile on Baekhyun’s face and laughed to himself. “Very happy.”

The two just stood there smiling at each other when suddenly a weird, unpleasant smell came from the living room. It took Sehun a few seconds to realise what it was, but he hurried to the kitchen as soon as he did. “... my food.”

 

They just stood there, staring at the completely burnt oven dish on the counter right in front of them.

“This is why I normally don’t cook…” he now realised turning up the heat had been a really bad decision, especially since he didn’t even check it one time after.

“So what now?” Baekhyun said.

“Maybe we should go to a restaurant, but I bet everything is full already.”

“I mean I can easily make a call and get a table for us somewhere, but I kinda liked the idea of having some food at your place.”

Baekhyun was right. It hadn’t been the plan to go out for dinner, he wanted to have this nice cozy setting at home, but Jongin and Sehun were typical students. Their fridge was always filled with unhealthy stuff and microwaveable meals.

“I mean… I can take a look in the freezer.”

 

“You know, it’s probably been like 2 years since I last had a pizza.”

“Really.. How come? You don’t like pizza?” Sehun started to feel guilty that he had no other food than this until the elder quickly shook his head.

“I love pizza, it’s actually one of my favorites. I just never get the chance to eat it because I rarely make my own food.”

Sehun sometimes forgot Baekhyun was living the ultimate life. Having staff at his home who did everything for him, of course including cooking. “Can’t you tell your cook to make it for you some time?”

“I can, but I didn’t hire a five star chef to make me deep frozen pizza.” Baekhyun laughed as he stuffed his mouth with as much pizza as he could, making Sehun laugh. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing.” Sehun said, still laughing to himself. Sehun knew one thing for sure, he already liked Baekhyun better than Mr. Byun.

 

The evening didn’t really start out like he planned, eating pizza on the couch wasn’t exactly what he imagined his ‘homemade dinner’ to be, but the rest went as smoothly as it could have gone.

After the pizza was all gone Baekhyun had kindly offered to wash the dishes together, ending up in a small water fight and a big ball of bubbles on top of Sehun’s head.  

“Sehun, you’re ruining my whole sweater!”

“You started this! Also I thought you didn’t like it anyways.”

“It’s still ugly, but I kinda like it…”

“Is Mr. Byun changing his mind? Will you come to work in ugly Christmas sweaters from now on instead of his fancy, expensive suits?”

“Oh Sehun! Come here!”

The next thing they did was play video games, since the topic had come up during dinner and they found out it was something that interested both of them.

“I’m still surprised this famous CEO is actually a nerd who’s into into video games.”

“I mean not anymore, but I used to play a lot with my friends when I was in high school. What do you have, a SNES?”

“Uhm.. no”

“Ooh then you must have a Dreamcast!”

“No… Baekhyun those are both like ancient consoles.”

“Wait… you’re saying you don’t even have a playstation?”

“I do, but we’re already at the Playstation 4, you’re a bit behind...”

After Baekhyun only complained about the video games Sehun owned being way to hard and complicated for him so Sehun decided to put on the TV and look for a movie. Since Sehun was really into sci-fi there wasn’t really anything to his liking that was airing on this late Christmas night, so he let Baekhyun choose the channel and they ended up stumbling upon one of the Harry Potter movies, one that Sehun already had seen multiple times.

“Never thought you were a Potterhead too.”

“What is that? I've actually never seen a Harry Potter movie.”

“Really?! You can’t be serious…”

“Sehun this came out when I was already running a business, do you think I had time watch children's movies?”

“It’s not a children's movie okay?! It’s actually pretty cool.”

“Well let’s find out. Move over so I can sit next to you.”

Halfway through the movie Sehun noticed that Baekhyun started to yawn a lot. “Is it too boring? Do you wanna watch something else?”

“No, not at all. I’m just tired because of the short night sleep I had after the party, and I also did some work before coming here.”

“Why were you working on your free day? I think you really shouldn’t-”

“Shht... no talk about work.” Baekhyun said while covering Sehun’s mouth with his hand to keep him from talking “Your own rule.”

Sehun grabbed Baekhyun’s wrist to push his arm back. “Well I already broke one of my other rules so we might as well talk about work too.”

“I actually like not thinking about it for once.”

“You should take more days off, some time for you to relax.”

“I can’t, let’s leave it at that.”

Sehun focused back on the movie but as the minutes went by, his boss didn’t make it easier for him. Baekhyun had already been kind of leaning onto Sehun with his legs up on the couch, but now he was properly leaning with his head on Sehun’s shoulder.

He carefully leaned his head forward and looked at his boss, who had his eyes closed and was breathing slowly. Sehun smiled at how vulnerable and peaceful the elder looked right then, especially in contrast to the usually charismatic and always busy person he was at work.

Sehun directed his attention back to the TV, but again… it only lasted a few minutes until he felt Baekhyun move again.

The elder slowly backed away from Sehun, still with his eyes closed, but then made himself comfortable again, with his head right on Sehun’s lap. A few small noises came from his mouth but then all that was heard was again the slow breathing.  

“Baekhyun?” he said silently “Baek…”

There was no response which told him the elder was still asleep. He put one of his hands on Baekhyun’s head and carefully started playing with the brown hair.  

Sehun wished he’d met Baekhyun in a different way. This was so messed up considering the person on his lap was his boss. Not only that, but there was also a 10 year age difference between the two.

Why couldn’t Baekhyun just be one of his classmates? Or one of the people he’d meet while going out? Or even like a friend of a friend you’d meet on birthday parties…

Baekhyun was a beautiful person, both on the inside and outside and Sehun didn’t know how much longer he could hide his feelings anymore. The elder was always nice to him, took care of him, or rather spoiled the younger and whether it had been his plan or not, Sehun had fallen for him.

Sehun ignored the movie from that point on. All he wanted to do was enjoy the moment, the moment where they weren’t a boss and intern, but just Baekhyun and Sehun. Just two friends, or even more...

 

Baekhyun woke up when he felt something move under him. He lifted his head and saw Sehun looking down on him with guilt on his face.

“Sorry, I tried to not wake you but I really need to go to the toilet.”

“Ooh no, I’m so sorry. Go ahead.” Baekhyun quickly sat up straight and watched Sehun walk towards the bathroom. He didn’t even remember falling asleep, especially not on the younger’s lap. He grabbed his phone from the coffee table and looked at the time, it was already way past midnight. He figured it was best to go home since it was already late and Sehun probably wanted to get some rest too. He also had pushed it far enough with Sehun for the night, again the younger had opened up more to him and Baekhyun was scared to move too fast. So he stood up and grabbed his jacket.

“What are you doing?”

Baekhyun hadn’t noticed Sehun coming back, but he saw the younger stand right behind him when he turned around. “Ooh… I’m gonna go home. It’s pretty late and I’ve been here all night, I don’t wanna be a bother to you, you know-”

Seun cut him off “You’re not.”

“I mean I know but... I should just go home.”

Baekhyun walked towards the front door and he heard Sehun follow him. He opened the door, stepped out and turned around. Sehun was still watching him, not saying a word.

“I had a great night Sehun, I hope you did too.”

“Yeah me too.” he answered quietly, like he was scared to talk. “I’m sorry again, about the dinner.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Baekhyun smiled “The pizza was delicious.” Sehun just kept standing in the doorway while staring at his feet and without a word, so Baekhyun carefully grabbed his hands to get his attention. “Hey… are you alright? Did I do something wrong?”

“No, no not at all.” Sehun still didn’t look at him but at least it made him speak. “Thank you for coming, I had a great night.”

“Then why do you sound sad?”

Sehun didn’t answer that question but he finally looked up to Baekhyun. “Will you be able to find the way out?”

“Yeah, don't worry about me.” He gave the younger one last smile before slowly releasing Sehun’s hands and turning his back to him. This night had been more than he ever could've imagined, but it was time to go now. Sehun had opened up to him and that was enough for today so he started making his way towards the stairs at the end of the hallway.

“B-baekhyun…”

After only a few steps Baekhyun stopped walking and looked back. Sehun was still standing in the doorway with a very nervous look on his face.

“If you want y-you can stay…”

The roles were reversed now, this time it was Baekhyun who was flustered by the other's words. But it had been so silent that it almost seemed like a whisper and Baekhyun thought he might’ve heard it wrong, so he took a few steps back towards Sehun.

“What did you say?”

Sehun took a deep breath and closed his eyes, but when they opened again they were looking straight into Baekhyun’s.

“Stay the night…  please.”


a/n Is Baekhyun gonna stay the night, or not? And why does Sehun want Baekhyun to stay? Is he up to some dirty stuff, or is it more innocent than most of you probably think it is? Hopefully we'll find out soon ;)

Before I go wanna give a special shout out to my Beta reader thebaeinsebaek who added this meme at the moment Sehun turned up the heat of the oven, I probably laughed for like 5 minutes staight

Anyways thanks for reading! If you like this story please subscribe and give it an upvote, it would be much appreciated <3 Hope you guys are looking forward to the next chapter as much as I do!