Rejection

The Intern

Unedited, will be edited later but I just wanted to upload this today to hopefully distract some of you guys and myself as well

 


 

“So he never has been in a real relationship?”

“Not really, just some flings, one night stands, things like that.”

Jongdae had already warned Sehun that Baekhyun’s past wasn’t one that he was going to like, and he had been right.

“How many of these… things… did he have?”

“I don’t know, and even if I knew I wouldn’t tell you because I do know it’s a shocking high number.”

Sehun put down his chopsticks, suddenly feeling not so hungry anymore after the thought of Baekhyun being with so many others.

“Don’t judge him too hard Sehun. It wouldn’t be my choice either to live like that, but he did and he’s still my best friend. He’s still Baekhyun.”

“But what if I’m one of those?” he said with a sad voice. How could he be sure that he didn’t end up being a temporary ‘toy’.

“I wish I could assure you you’re not, but I can’t. Baekhyun is very unpredictable.”

“Has he… talked about me before?”

“He has, he’s said thing were different this time, but he never explained to me in what way.” Jongdae paused a bit and took a sip of his drink before continuing “Listen… I’m going to be honest with you. The fact that you’re a handsome young boy does make me suspicious of his intentions, especially when I saw him look at you that first day I brought you into his office. But I-”

“So you think it’s just the same as before?” Sehun interrupted

“You didn’t let me finish kid.” Jongdae said with a laugh “As I was going to say, I also saw something else in Baekhyun since you two met, some kind of care he has never had for someone before.”

“What about his last one? That woman before me?” he remembered in the article a few weeks ago they mentioned a relationship with his former assistant and it had been in the back of his mind ever since.

“Ooh that… that was just a situation that got out of hand.” He noticed that Jongdae was trying to avoid this topic when he stopped talking and began eating, but Sehun wasn’t ready to give up on this yet.

“What happened?”

“She was crazy.” Jongdae said after some hesitation as he pushed his bowl of food away from him. “Seriously Sehun it's not even worth telling you.”

“I know she was his assistant too, I read about it. Please tell me what happened.”

“Well if you really wanna know. Yes, his last relationship was with his assistant. A really pretty, small, blonde haired woman named Taeyeon, she was a few years older than him. She was pretty nice when I first met her.”

“I thought you just said he has never been in a relationship.”

“Well that’s the whole point, she saw it as one, he didn’t. She was just a delusional person who was obsessed with Baekhyun.” Jongdae let out a small laugh and shook his head.

“I remember reading something about a fight between them.”

“Well I wouldn’t call it a fight personally, it was basically Baekhyun being yelled at.”

Jongdae turned of the light in his office and checked if there was someone left on his department. As expected there wasn’t since he himself stayed until almost midnight to finish some work. He took the elevator downstairs but had no idea what was waiting for him downstairs…

The door slid open an the first thing he heard was a familiar voice talking really loudly, or rather screaming something and he already had an idea of who it could be.

“You have been lying to me all this time! We had something!”

“No, we never did.”

“What are you saying? That all of this was fake?!”

“Nothing can be fake because there never was something.”

The second voice he heard confirmed his suspicions of the first one. He stepped out of the elevator and continued his way towards the door with light steps, trying not to alert the two of his presence.

“You are such a ! What about all the presents? What about all those dates we had? What about you calling me.”

“I had to keep you happy some way didn’t I? I spoil you and in return you’ll get into my bed whenever I want you to.”

Jongdae quickly put his hand in front of his mouth, preventing a small laugh from coming out. This was classic Baekhyun. He should feel bad for Taeyeon but he didn’t. Although he had liked her in the beginning, lately she was very possessive of his best friend and Jongdae didn’t like it one bit.

“How dare you! I loved you Byun Baekhyun! I gave you my everything!”

“I didn’t ask for your everything, your body was enough for me. You knew who you were dealing with so the only one to blame here is yourself.”

At this point Jongdae halted his steps, standing in a dark corner of the main hall where no one could see him. He was too curious too leave so he quietly waited for them to end their conversation.

“This isn’t over yet! I’ll make sure the head line of the newspaper will be about you tomorrow!”

“My name has never been clean so go ahead. Ooh and by the way you’re fired.”  

Jongdae watched how Taeyeon stormed out of the building with tears streaming down her face, and Baekhyun just stood there.

“You better get an advertisement for a new assistant ready for me Jongdae.”

Out of shock he dropped his bag out of his hands and Baekhyun suddenly turned to him laughing. “Did you really think I didn’t see you sneaking around?”

“What was that Baekhyun?” Jongdae walked towards his best friend after picking his bag back up.  

“Nothing to worry about anymore, she’s gone now.”

“You’re such a .” he said while shaking his head, but with a slight smile appearing on his face.

“I know.”

“It was kinda disturbing looking back at it. All Baekhyun did was smile that whole night, he even had a drink at my house afterwards and acted like nothing happened.”

“Didn’t you feel bad for her?” Sehun asked with slight worry in his voice, the woman sounded rather desperate and he didn’t know if he could pick Baekhyun’s side in this situation.

“Me?” Jongdae started laughing out loud “No way. We later found out that the pure reason she came to work for our company was to grow close to Baekhyun. She was obsessed with him and made a big mistake falling in love with him when she knew it would stay one sided. I don’t know what happened between the two that day that she freaked out so much, but I’m happy it happened.”

“Why did Baekhyun never tell her?” that is what Sehun wondered the most. If he had known that the other was in love with him, why did he never made it clear to her?

“Why would he? Someone is ready for him to jump into his bed whenever he wants to, it’s exactly what he wants.”

Sehun kept silent because he didn’t know what to answer. So what Baekhyun wanted was just someone to fulfil his needs, someone to be ready for him whenever he wanted to. Someone like Sehun...   

 

While they walked back to company, Sehun had a lot to think about. He really felt like a fool for liking Baekhyun now. What if he was the same as the last person that was in his position? Of course he didn’t come to work here just for Baekhyun, but he grew close to him too, closer than he ever would’ve thought.

When he sat back at his desk he tried to concentrate at work but he couldn’t. His time here was up in a few weeks and all he could think about was what was going to happen after that. Was he going to be put aside like what had happened to everyone else?

He was so busy in his thoughts that he hadn’t heard the door open right next to him.

“Hey.”

He looked at the smiling Baekhyun who just came in. The elder walked around Sehun’s desk to stand behind him and leaned down, wrapping his arms around Sehun’s neck. He felt his boss give him a small peck on his cheek but he didn’t react to it.

“Is something wrong?” Baekhyun asked when he noticed Sehun just staring at the screen in front of him which had just a blank document opened.  

“No.” he answered with a silent voice.

Baekhyun placed another kiss on his cheek and again Sehun gave no response “Then why are you acting like this. Did something happen?”

“No.” he answered again.

Sehun released Sehun and took a step back, turning Sehun’s chair so he was facing him and giving him one more kiss, but now right on his lips. Sehun still didn’t give any reaction.

“Alright, come on.” Baekhyun grabbed Sehun’s wrist tightly and dragged him with him to his own office, locking the door behind them before dragging Sehun further into his office and pushing him roughly onto Baekhyun’s own office chair.

“What’s wrong with you?” Baekhyun asked in a slightly annoyed voice. He sat on the edge of his desk and crossed his arms over his chest.

“Nothing.”

“Really? Then why are you acting like I don’t exist?”

“I don’t…” Sehun look at Baekhyun for the first time the past few minutes and notices his eyes going dark.

“You don’t? Really?” Baekhyun hopped off the desk and stood right in front of Sehun. He bend slightly forward, holding one hand on Sehun’s shoulder as support, and the other right on his crotch. “How about now?”

Sehun held his breath and closed his eyes when Baekhyun firmly squeezed down on his bulge. “Baekhyun… please…” he breathed out.

“Ooh so now you know me again huh… but if you wanna play like that that’s fine by me. Also don’t forget you’re still in my company, my office, where my rules apply.” Baekhyun leaned forward until his lips hovered right next to Sehun’s ear “So… Oh Sehun,” he whispered while making the grip on Sehun’s private parts even stronger “Can you repeat that again?”

“Mr. Byun…” Even though they had dropped the formal speaking completely since last week whenever it was just the two of them, he knew this is what the elder wanted to hear right now “Please stop.”

“Much better.” Baekhyun removed his hand from Sehun’s crotch and he opened his eyes again “So now that I’ve reminded you again of who’s in charge, why are you acting like this?”

Baekhyun’s voice seemed calm again, but Sehun knew the elder wouldn’t stop before he finally got his answer. He looked his boss straight in the eyes and asking him the one thing that had been bothering him the past few hours.

“Am I like her?”

“Like who?” Baekhyun slightly squirted his eyes and looked at him questioningly but Sehun knew that his boss exactly knew what he was talking about, and that got confirmed only a few seconds later “Did you talk to Jongdae?”

“I did.” he wasn’t gonna lie anymore, since he wanted to know the truth from Baekhyun it was only right to be truthful to him too.

“Look.” Baekhyun sighed. “I hope he told you the whole story. I never told her we were a thing, she just assumed we were, just because of how I treated her. And-”

“Why would you do that?” Sehun interrupted “Make someone feel like they are loved but just use them.”

“I-” Baekhyun stopped talking to think for a second, but Sehun kept waiting and nothing came out of the elder anymore.

“Jongdae said that you told her it was her fault because she should’ve known what kind of person you were, but how would you feel like if someone made you feel loved and turns out to use you for only?” That’s what had been bothering Sehun the most. Of course he was worried about his own situation but was Baekhyun really that heartless of a person? Was he really interested in someone who had such ill intentions?

“She made a mistake by expecting me to love her like she wanted me to. And maybe I would feel bad, but I like to be in control as you probably know by now. And when people like Taeyeon completely throw themselves at me, it’s hard for me to resist.”

Wasn’t that what Sehun was doing too? Maybe he was a bit hesitant in the beginning, but now whenever Baekhyun asked him to come he would show up like a lost puppy to its owner. “Then what about me?”

“You’re not like her.” Baekhyun said with confidence and walked away form Sehun, toward his bag that he hed left next to the door. “I even picked this up on the way here.” He kept searching though his bag until he took out a small black box.  

Baekhyun walked back to Sehun and sat down on the chair on the other side of the desk, shocking the small box over to Sehun and motioning for him to open it.

Sehun hesitantly took the box from the desk and opened it, revealing a silver steel and black carbon ring. Before he could take it out of the box Baekhyun took it out of his hands and grabbed the ring. He watched how his boss took his right hand into his one before slowly sliding it onto his thumb.

“Most people know a ring on your thumb stands for power and wealth,” Baekhyun held his own right hand up, showing Sehun a very similar ring on his own thumb “But by giving you this one, I want to change that. Not many know that it also stands for interaction or friendship.”

Sehun had no words. It was absolutely beautiful and it really matched Baekhyun’s one, but something was wrong.

“So, do you like it? It’s beautiful right?” Baekhyun asked with a wide smile while taking hold of Sehun’s hands and he just nodded in response. “It really cost a lot and I didn’t know what ring size you had but it seems to fit perfectly, But if you don’t like it we can always get you another one or let this one be customised.”

Suddenly Sehun pulled his hands from his boss’ and took off the ring, placing it back in the box, loudly closing it before handing it back to Baekhyun.

“You say I’m not like the others, but you treat me like one of them!” he said raising his voice “I don’t ask to be spoiled by you Baekhyun, I don’t ask for your money or any of the gifts you gave me.”

Baekhyun switched looks from the box in front of him to Sehun’s face and looked puzzled.

“I don’t need any of this. I’m a fool for falling for your tricks when so many people warned me. I should’ve listened to them! You’re a scumbag who think everyone can be bought with your money, well I’m not like that! Give this stupid ring to someone naive enough to actually fall for it.”

Sehun angrily stood up and unlocked the door, grabbing his coat and bag from his own office before storming towards the elevator that would take him straight downstairs and out of this building. Leaving a speechless Baekhyun behind in his office with a feeling he had never felt before, rejection.   

 


 

a/n So the only thing I wanna mention is I don't hate Taeyeon, she's my queen <3 but it's just the easiest girl to ship Baekhyun with in fics for me

 

Of course I have to talk about something else on this terrible day. I didn't wanna believe it this morning when my friend Anna told me Jonghyun wasn't with us anymore, but after a quick look on social media I knew enough.

I wanna take this time to tell you guys that if any of you struggle with depression, suicide or any other mental issue, you're not a alone. 

I'm struggling with depression for over 3 years now, also with my suicidal periods, and it hurst me to see a lovely person like Jonghyun go out this way. The exact thing that kpop prevented me from doing, happened today to one of the people that got me into kpop and thereby keeping me out of this hell. If any of you guys are stuggling with stuff please don't be scared to reach out to me, your friends, family, or look for professional help. It's nothing to be ashamed of and trust me, you can't do this alone. Please find help and don't give up to soon. I had to go through 3 psychologists to find the right one who I could finally trust and who is able to help me. Don't let the dark days take over and find comfort in the people who care about you. 

Feel free to drop me a private message if you're struggling with anything or if you just need some comfort, I think we can all use some today. 

"Your idols can save your life, but you can't save theirs."

Jonghyun, thank you for everything. I hope you have found the peace now you couldn't find here anymore. You were a crazy talented singer, dancer, an insane songwriter and producer,  but above all, a great and loving person for everyone around you. 

My heart goes out to all of his family, friends, members, Shawols and everyone else who was dear to him and who loved him. Let this be a wake up call for all companies to give metal health more attention and to treat their idols as best as they can. 

  Rest in Peace <3