Chapter 8

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The half moon shed enough light so that Chaeyoung and Mina could see ahead to avoid hazards that might cause the horse to stumble. She felt Mina's head slump against her back. "You need to stay awake Miss Myoui."

She nodded and raised her head, feeling so weary.

"My dad told me that horses don't have the best eyesight at night. This fellow could step in the hole, and then what will happen to both of us?"

"That's why I need you to help me watch."

She straightened her back. If Chaeyoung could go on, then so could she. The night seemed endless, and riding astride was causing her to ache in places that had never ached before. There were times when she thought she couldn't stay on the horse, and twice she nodded off. But a harsh word from Chaeyoung brought her back to conciousness.

"Can't we stop?" she asked.

"We still in the native's land, so it's not yet safe if we can encounter another group of thieves, and we need to put a distance between us and the Hong's brother. So, we have to keep moving, Miss Myoui. You can sleep tomorrow at least half of the day."

Without any word she watched the trail ahead of them, wondering what power and strenght pushed the smaller girl. She guessed she'd stayed awake most of the time while she slept in the squatter's cabin. How could she get going like this without sleep, when she was utterly exhausted.

She tried to think of Jeongyeon, but instead her mind wandered to the mails she'd written to her about Son Chaeyoung. Suddenly something startling and overwhelming expanded in her chest. Everytime Jeongyeon had mentioned Chaeyoung in her letters,  she always had been fascinated by the description of her friend. From her simple life, to the girl's achievements, to her skills of combat, and she's also assigned as the peace negotiator everytime there's some hostages happenings on their operations, all the good things that even Jeongyeon was really amazed by this girl, and that's when Jeongyeon always seemed to mention Chaeyoung in every letter that she'd sending to her. But even Mina's imaginings of Chaeyoung could not have made her more perfect than the real her.

Mina slumped against the girls back, then drew herself up straight. "Please, can't we stop and camp soon?"

Chaeyoung felt Mina's limp hands clasped on her waist and nodded. "Yes, I believe we can. If you can make it for another mile, I know a place where we can camp and light a fire."

Mina hoped she would be able to make it that extra mile without falling asleep.

 

Chaeyoung had found a campsite on a plateau, where they could see the countryside in every direction. For shelter, there was a rock formation with a wide overhang and walls that would protect them from the wind. Bone-chilling wind rippled through the buffalo grass, which was as high as a horse's haunches.

Mina slid to the ground and blew on her fingers to warm them while Chaeyoung unsaddled their horse. By the time she joined her, the Japanese lass was having trouble keeping her eyes open. Chaeyoung laid a fire and then placed the warm blanket around her. A contented sigh slip through her lips.

When she returned to the camp after securely tied up the horse, she sat down with her riffle resting across her lap. Mina was asleep, and the girl watched how the dancing flames from the campfire flickered across her pale skin. She allowed herself to feast on her beauty. She was like the brightness of the sun, and as far above her as the sun was from the earth. She is a Japanese aristocrat, and she is just a broken-down girl with a small land and just a few properties. 

A strange, piercing ache filled her heart, fanning out through her chest. She could never have her, or even touch her, as she wanted to. Mina was silk, and she is like a leather. She was a lady, and she belonged to her friend Jeongyeon, and she would never betray a friend.

Her body tensed when she thought of Mina lying in the arms of Jeongyeon, touching her and kissing those inviting lips -- yes, she belonged to Yoo Jeongyeon. She felt desire run wild through her body as she considered what it would feel like to have her under her body.

"Damn," she ground out, she shot on her feet. She walked in the direction of the horse and stood there for a long time staring up at the moon. She's pondering on what decision she should make and her prior concern is to make sure the safety of Myoui Mina. She didn't think it would be wise to take her back to Seoul. Lee would be in Jeju Island where he and the Hong's agreed to deliver Miss Myoui to him. When Lee's realized he's been tricked, he would send someone else to find her. Neither Lee or the Hong's brother knew Chaeyoung's identity, so she would be safe with her for a while. No need to send some authorities to Lee in Jeju; he would be gone before they could get there. There were the Hong brothers to worry about, also. They would be soon find out that their brother, Jun Gyu, was dead, and in their bungling way they would be a problem. She could keep Mina at her place until either Jeongyeon or Mr. Myoui could come after her.

She turned her face up to the night sky. There was a storm coming -- she could feel it in her bones. She had to get her out of this weather as soon as possible.

Was she taking Mina to her house because she wanted to keep her longer, or for Mina's own protection? Hell, she didn't know anymore.

 

Mina woke up to the aroma of frying bacon. She blinked her eyes and found Chaeyoung kneeling beside her, offering her a cup of coffee.

"Careful, the tin cup is hot," she warned.

"Where did you get that?" she asked in amazement.

"It was in my saddlebag."

Mina gave Chaeyoung a smile and handed her back the girls coat. "Thank you for this. Thank you for everything. I know you risked your life to rescue me."

Then Mina looked into Chaeyoung's eyes, and she almost melted. "No thanks are necessary."

The Japanese lass snuggled closer to the fire. "That's not the way I see it."

The girl shot to her feet, and her gaze went to the western horizon. "I was just doing my job, Miss. Major Yoo is paying me to bring you back, so don't go making me out to be a hero."

She nodded, feeling crushing dissapointment at her words. "I thank you all the same. You did put yourself in danger for me."

When the lass stood up and moved closer to her, Chaeyoung noticed that even if this lady is tall, she is just a small-boned and fragile. How had she survived in the hands of Hong brothers? Her voice was gruff when she spoke. "You'll have to wash from the canteen, since there's no creek nearby."

Mina glanced at the bacon sizzling in the iron skillet. "I'll make do. Now why don't you tend to the horse, and I'll see to the cooking."

She arched her brow. "You can cook?"

Laughter sparkled in Mina's eyes. "Ms. Son, you might be interested to know that I am a very good cook."

eased into a grin. "I'll trust you in that, Miss. I'll just get more wood for t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter