Chapter 20

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jeongyeon had been ordered to report back to her station, and her parents had accompanied her there. She lay upon her cot, staring into the darkness. Everything was in such confusion. All she'd wanted to do was marry Mina. She loved her, but she also wanted a career in politics--she wanted both. She had a sterling reputation as an army officer, and that would go a long way toward helping her when she ran for office.

She hadn't wanted Mina to be examined by a doctor, but her mother had convinced her it was necessary. What if she had been ? What if one of the men had impregnated her? She certainly didn't want to give her name to one of the Hong brothers' by-blows. She remembered Mina as a beautiful and innocent young girl. She'd fallen in love with her at that time. But that had been over two years ago. She still pictured Mina as that young girl, and sometimes she had trouble remembering what she looked like.

She shoved the covers aside and went to the window, staring out into the gathering light. She tested her legs and was glad it was no longer painful; the doctor had removed the splint.

She frowned; her mind was in a quandary. She couldn't marry Mina. After all, they really didn't know each other. But how could she offend the daughter of one of the most powerful men in Japan? It was quite simple: SHE would have to make Mina reject her. And the means to that end might already have been set into motion. All she had to do was insist that the Japanese lass go through with a doctor's examination.

Myoui Kenji had sent word that he would be bringing Mina tomorrow for some talk. The commanding officer of the base had been so impressed  by the Myoui name that his wife had planned a welcoming party and invited all the officers and their partners. She could feel the trap closing around her.

She pulled her trousers on. Tomorrow night she would be free of Mina. A strange ache touched her heart as she remembered the beautiful young girl she'd pictured as her wife. She had to let her go and then forget about her.

Jeongyeon heard the sound of the bugler playing assembly. It was too early for formation, so something must be wrong. She hurriedly tucked her shirt in and pulled on her boots, then her arms into her coat. Running for the parade ground, she found the returning patrol leading riderless horses.

"Thieves attack at several ranches between here and the next town, Major Yoo, ma'am," the pockmarked seargeant informed her hurriedly. "Colonel Kim's ordered us to ride out at once, ma'am."

Jeongyeon was somehow relieved as she later rode out the gate at the front of her patrol. She'd never been accused of lacking courage, but she would rather face the thieves than Mina and her formidable father.

Sachi entered Mina's room and spun around in a circle. "It's amazing that a dress from your trousseau would fit me. What do you think?"

"I never thought about it, but we are in the same height."

"I confess I had to let the waist out a bit." Sachi said, laughing. "You have such a tiny waist."

Mina slipped her white gloves on and met her mother's eyes. "I am not looking forward to this party. I would sooner have ridden home to our ranch."

"I understand, Mina. But your father and I will be beside you." She tilted Mina's chin up. "Just remember who you are."

Sadness touched Mina. "I never forget who I am. After tonight I want to go home."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Very sure. I thought I could marry Jeongyeon, but you were right when you said I would be cheating her since I don't love her."

Sachi slid her arm around Mina's waist, feeling pity for her daughter. "Whatever decisison you make tonight, your father and I will stand by it." She frowned and took Mina's hand. "Take that worried look off your face. Your father thinks the party is a good idea. We will sail in and act as if nothing is amiss."

"What if Jeongyeon is still on patrol? I'll have to face her parents alone?"

Sachi fastened a strand of pearls around Mina's throat. "No, you won't. I told you that me and your father will be with you. And we Myoui woman are dressed for battle."

Mina smiled and nodded. "Stay near me tonight."

Chaeyoung stood across the room, her arms folded over her chest, her eyes on the door that Mina would come through when she arrived. She felt different from everyone else in the room, but she somehow needed to be there. Since she'd scouted for the army and was known to be a friend of Jeongyeon's, she was welcome at these functions. But she had never attended until tonight.

She caught a glimpse of Jeongyeon's parents mingling with the officers and their wives. They were apparently enjoying being the center of attention. There was a stir at the door, and Jeongyeon entered, the gold leaves on her dark blue dress uniform signifying she was a major. Chaeyoung watched as Jeongyeon greeted everyone and then finally made her way across the room to her.

"I heard you had a thieves troubles, Jeongyeon."

"Nothing much. Just a few renegades who got liquored up and caused a disturbance. They are sobering up in the guardhouse, and we'll let them go in the morning." She stared at Chaeyoung, who looked uncomfortable in a black suit. "I'm surprised to see you here tonight. I know you were not too happy with me the last time we met."

"I won't deny that I am angry at that time." Chaeyoung glanced around the roo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter