Chapter 18

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Although it has been two days since Mina had shot Hong Eugene, her hand still trembled, and her knees went weak when she thought about it.

Wonpil and Young K had been wonderful. Wonpil had insisted that Mina and Sachi leave the house while he cleaned up the blood, and Young K had taken the body to the sheriff's office.

She walked into the bedroom, hoping she wouldn't cry again. Sachi had been so compassionate and understanding, but Mina didn't want to burden her mother any more than she had to.

She took one of Chaeyoung's shirts and held it against her face, knowing in her heart that she wanted Chaeyoung's arms around her at that moment, holding her terror at bay and giving her comfort.

Sachi heard riders and glanced toward the rifle Wonpil had loaded and placed near the door should they need it. But when she saw who it was, she flew out the front door, crying her husband's name. Kenji was off his horse and had enveloped her in his embrace even before the animal halted.

Chaeyoung's glance went past Sachi, anxiously searching for Mina. She had almost ridden her horse to death to get to the lass, knowing she must be frightened and needing her.

Sachi untangled herself from her husband and walked up to Chaeyoung. She offered the girl her hand, and the girl grasped it firmly in her. "I don't have to ask who you are, Ms. Son. You are exactly the way Mina described you."

Chaeyoung was anxious because Mina hadn't come out to meet them. "Nice to meet you Mrs. Myoui, but how is she?"

Sachi frowned. "It is difficult for her, Ms. Son. Go on in and talk to her. You'll find her inside."

Kenji started forward, but Sachi stalled him. "Let's get the horses taken care of. It looks like you tried your best to run them into the ground."

Kenji shook his head. "I need to see my daughter."

"No, you don't." She nodded at Chaeyoung, who was hurrying into the house. "She'll take care of our daughter."

Kenji frowned, and his jaw went rigid, the way it always did when he was angry. "What is that supposed to mean, Sachi? Why should Son Chaeyoung take care of her?"

She slid her arm around his waist and gave him a heart-shattering smile. "Because Chaeyoung's the one she wants right now." she tilted her head back and laughed at the confusion on his face.

"You men are always the last ones to know. How simple it would be if we women just told you outright that we loved you."

"What? Are you saying my daughter loves that girl? And what are you talking about? Miss Son is also a woman."

"But she had a heart of a man, and the way I see it, she also love our daughter, she just doesn't know it yet, or she just hiding what she feels because Mina has a fianće and it turns out that Miss Yoo were her friend. And the fact that; if you were a woman, you'd understand why, she is extraordinary looking."

Kenji still looked confused  and a little jealous that his wife found Son Chaeyoung charming. "Are you saying Mina loves Chaeyoung, and that girl doesn't know it?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying," she answered, taking the reins of Chaeyoung's horse and leading it toward the barn. "And you aren't to say anything to her. That will be up to Mina to do."

Kenji has no choice but to lead his horse and follow her. "I won't have this, Sachi. First she's going to marry Yoo Jeongyeon--although I refuse to let her marry that woman, and now she loves Son Chaeyoung. What's going on? What?"

"I don't know Yoo Jeongyeon, but I like Son Chaeyoung, just from what Mina has told me about her. She isn't wealthy, and she doesn't have an aristocratic name, but she's honorable, and if it weren't for her we wouldn't have Mina."

                                   ********************

Chaeyoung stood at the door with her hat in her hand. "Mina."

She hadn't heard her ride up because she'd been locked in her private hell. When she heard Chaeyoung's voice, a sob escaped her lips, and she walked out the bedroom door, wanting to be in her arms.

Chaeyoung could only stare at the beautiful vision in a long-sleeved pink gown with golden hair tumbling down her back to her waist. She had never seen anything that touched her so deeply. She wanted to rush to the lass, but this was not the Mina she knew. This was the polished and exquisitely dressed Miss Myoui.

But Mina took the decision out of Chaeyoung's hands. Mina run to the girl, throwing her body against Chaeyoung's body, and the girl arms went around the lass like a protective shield.

"Oh, Chaeyoung, Chaeyoungie. I . . . took a life. I killed Hong Eugene!"

Chaeyoung buried her face in Mina's hair and held her tightly so her body could absorb Mina's sobs. "I know, Mina. I know. But you had to." Her lips touched the lass cheek, and she closed her eyes, loving the Japanese lass to the depths of her soul. "Don't think about it. It's over and done

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter