Chapter 7

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was a bitterly cold morning, but the air was sharp and clean. Mina always loved riding, but being in the open and exposed to the cold took the enjoyment away. She felt guilty again because her thougts were not often of Jeongyeon, but of Chaeyoung. Her arms were clasped about the girl waist, and she pressed her face against hers. She could feel her taut stomach muscles everytime she's breathing.

When they began backtracking she knew Chaeyoung was worried that they might have been followed. Suddenly she rode behind a group of small trees, cautioning Mina to be quite. Her hand resting in her gun, and Mina knew Chaeyoung could have it in her hand in an instant.

Mina laughed when a herd of deer moved past their hiding place. "Don't you worry Ms. Son. I'll protect you from them," she said while laughing so hard she could hardly catch her breath.

Chaeyoung glanced back at her, her eyes glistening with amusement. "I feel comforted by that, Ms. Myoui. Let's continue our destination."

They rode in comfortable silence for most of the day, stopping often to rest the horse, since the animal had to carry them both. Before the sunset they ate a quick meal, before mounting up and ride again.

In the evening, a serene quiteness settled the land. Chaeyoung halted the horse and spoke softly, as if she is going to break the silence of the night. "It's going to be colder tonight, so I have to find a shelter or we are going to freeze here."

"If you hadn't give our pack mule with the blanket to that group, we'd had something to keep us warm."

She gritted her teeth. "That's all I think was the right thing to do at that moment." She shifted in the saddle and glared at her. "Do you see those dark clouds?" Chaeyoung continued what she's saying without giving the other a chance to answer. "A snowstorm is coming our way."

She didn't even finish talking when the snow began to fall. In no time at all they couldn't see beyond the horse's head.

"Are you always right?" Mina said pouting.

"Almost never since I met you," she mumbled.

"I'm cold." Chaeyoung rubbed the back of her neck while she's thinking on what's the best thing to do to save the lady. "I know of the place that could offer us protection. It's only a squatter's cabin, but it's the closest place to us."

She guided the horse down the small hill, hoping she could find the ruins in the blinding snow. After they had been riding for over an hour, she stop the horse.

"There," she said, pointing to the dark ruins that seemed to have appear out of nowhere. "I was afraid I would miss it in the snow. We can stay up there until the worst of the storm is over."

She lifted Mina to the ground and led her toward the shelter. Luckily, there's a useable fireplace inside of the cabin. Chaeyoung seated Mina and draped her coat around her. "There's certainly lots of woods to start a fire," she said, and starting to.pick up the slightly burned woods.

Mina knew she should help the other girl, but her teeth were chattering, and she was shaking from the cold.

In no time a small fire was burning, but it seemed to Mina that it gave off a little warmth.

"Should we be afraid of the group of the thieves or the Hongs?"

"The thieves already got what they wanted, and as for the Hong's, they hardly know our tracks, and who would go in this kind of weather."

"No," she said, holding her shaking hands to the flames. "We are the only fools whose outside tonight."

Chaeyoung staked the horse behind the shelter of the wall and left it with horse blanket to keep it warm. "If we lose him, we walk. And when you are forced to walk out here , you are dead."

"What will we do for cover?" Mina asked.

"I'll try to keep the fire going, and we'll just have to share the only blanket and my coat."

Mina nodded when Chaeyoung took the blanket from her. She sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter