Chapter 13

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If Chaeyoung had been by herself, she wouldn't have built a campfire when they stopped to eat their lunch. Although Mina hadn't complained, she could see that the lass was cold. Being the stubborn woman she was, she'd rather die than admit to having any weaknesses. She huddled close to the fire, her cheeks rosy, her brown eyes sparkling.

"I love working with cattle." Mina glanced up at Chaeyoung. "Of course, my father always tries to curtail what he terms my 'rambunctious nature.' I don't understand why he should object. I can ride as well as he and other men can, and he admits that."

Chaeyoung handed her a plate of food. "You are really closed to your father."

"Yes, both of my older brother and I are really closed to our parents, but I'm more close with my dad, maybe because we are always together and my brother with my mom."

"How do you feel about moving to North with Major Yoo and leaving your family behind?" Chaeyoung asked.

Mina studied the tip of her worn shoe. "I've tried not to dwell on that." Their eyes met. "You know Jeongyeon. Do you think her family will resent me because I am a Southerner? I wonder what they will say about my being kidnapped by the Hong brothers."

"Why should they think anything about it? It wasn't your fault."

"They are very proper."

Chaeyoung studied her carefully. "What are you saying?" she took Mina's hand in her. "Did the Hong brothers do anything to you?" Anger flared within her. "Oh, God, did they hurt you, Mina?"

There was misery in her brown eyes. "I . . . don't know."

Chaeyoung tilted Mina's chin up. "What do you mean? A woman knows if she's been . . . if a man's been intimate with her."

Mina lowered her eyes. "I was unconcious for two days while I was with them."

Chaeyoung frowned, trying to think what to say to her. It was possible that she had been . She certaintly wouldn't put it past those bastards. She wanted to comfort Mina, but she didn't know how. "I believe any woman would know if a man did anything to her, even if she was unconcious."

Tears rolled down Mina's cheek. "I've tried to put the thought out of my mind, but it's always there. I just don't know what happened when I was unconcious."

Chaeyoung pulled Mina into her arms and cradled her lovingly, touching her lips to the lass temple and burying her face in Mina's hair. "Jeongyeon loves you. That won't change no matter what, Mina. If you belonged to me, I'd only love you more if you had been mistreated by those men."

Mina's chest expanded because of the tears she was trying to suppress. "Is there someone that can love a woman that much, that she just overlook her being used by other men?"

"Not if you loves the woman."

Mina pulled back from Chaeyoung. "Is there a way I can know for sure if they . . . if . . .?"

"Yes, there is. But that would be for Jeongyeon to determine after you are married."

"Is there no way I can tell before?"

She nodded. "There is. A doctor can tell." Mina was in torment and had probably been carrying the fear of what the Hongs had done to her from the beginning. Chaeyoung would have a talk with Jeongyeon and make sure the Major will handle this situation just right. She was sick with rage. She wanted to find the Hongs and kill them with her bare hands. "When you see Jeongyeon, she will prove that she loves you," she said in a gruff voice.

She moved away from Chaeyoung and picked up a slice of meat. She put it in to have something to do, but it formed a lump in , and she had a hard time swallowing it.

"Mina, I --"

"No, Chaeyoung, I don't want to talk about it anymore. I don't know why I brought it up. It's just that . . . not knowing is so hard to bear."

"Is there anything I can say to make you feel better?"

Mina stared at Chaeyoung, thinking she was the only one who could make her feel better. She'd said if she loved her it wouldn't matter to her if she had been violated, and Mina believed her. But she wasn't sure Jeongyeon would feel the same way. All the feelings she had been suppressing came rushing to the surface, but she said, "I am not going to burden you with my problems, Chaeyoung. You have done enough for me as it is."

"If you want to talk, I'm a good listener."

Mina sensed a new tenderness in the girl and wondered why she hadn't seen it before. "I know, and I thank you. But I have to face this alone."

Chaeyoung realized that the lass didn't want to talked about it anymore and changed the subject. "Since the weather has let up, I'm going to ride into Seoul tomorrow and find out what's happening. Would you like me to bring Park Jihyo back with me?"

"I should go with you. I'll need to see Jeongyeon."

"I can't let you do that, Mina. It's still too dangerous. You'll have to stay here until your father or Jeongyeon comes for you. But you needn't be afraid. Young K and Wonpil will look after you."

Mina wanted to beg Chaeyoung not to leave her, but she knew from the stern look in those black eyes that she would have her way. "I would love to see Jihyo--and could you please bring my trunks?"

Chaeyoung had suddenly lost her appetite. She began clearing the remains of the meal away, then doused the campfire with snow. "Yes. I'm sure you will be glad to have your own clothing."

Chaeyoung watched Mina walk in the direction of her horse, wanting to crush the lass in her arms and never let her go. Chaeyoung didn't know how much longer she could keep her hands off of Mina. Where was Jeongyeon, damn it? She was her to take care of. Surely Myoui Kenji's

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter