Chapter 26

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Chaeyoung rode within sight of her ranch, the failure of her mission lay heavily on her shoulders. Lee Hyeong Gyun was clever, and Chaeyoung always seemed to be one step behind him. She dismounted and led her horse into the barn.

Young K found her there unsaddling her horse. "Noona, you never said anything to me and Wonpil about your getting married. We were plumb surprised when we found out. Congratulations."

Chaeyoung threw the saddle over the railing and looked at the young boy. "It happened suddenly. There wasn't much time to let everyone know."

"Did you have any luck finding Lee Hyeong Gyun, Chaeyoung noona?"

"No. But how did you know I was searching for him?"

"Mr. Myoui told me. He brought Mrs. Son home, but then he had to leave. Said he wanted to catch up with you."

Chaeyoung's heart leaped with joy. "She's here?"

"Yes, boss. She and a dozen men from Myoui's ranch. This place is like an armed fortress. Mr. Myoui instructed us all to be on the lookout for strangers." Young K told her.

Chaeyoung took a deep breath. Mr. Myoui hadn't been able to keep Mina at the Myoui ranch, but he had made sure she was protected. She liked his father-in-law more everyday.

"There some kind of government man up at the house talking to Mrs. Son."

Chaeyoung walked to the barn door and glanced at the house. She'd been so buried in her thoughts that she hadn't noticed the buggy. With purposeful steps, she strode toward the house with Young K walking beside her as far as the front yard. "We bedded down all Mr. Myoui's men in the bunkhouse, noona. I'ts a bit crowded, but they ain't complaining. There's an old man with them named Zed who does the cooking for us. His food ain't so bad, but his coffee would wake the dead."

Chaeyoung grinned. "I know that character. You might as well get ready for him to settle in for a long time. He probably won't leave Mina."

"That's kinda what he said. I like him, and he's full of tales that he swears are true."

"How's my wife?"

"Noona, she's mighty fine. She's had me and the others moving furniture and toting water, and she even had Wonpil help her hang curtains. She's surely a wonder."

Chaeyoung frowned. She probably wouldn't even recognize the place when she got through with it.

"Just keep a close lookout for any strangers, Young K."

"We'll watch things for you, boss. Don't you worry about Lee Hyeong Gyun getting near the place."

When Chaeyoung opened the door, her eyes went first to Mina, and then to the stranger. Mina had served the man a cup of coffee and was sitting on the chair across from him. Chaeyoung wanted to go to her and tell her she was sorry for the way she'd left her, but that would have to wait until later.

"Chaeyoung," Mina said. I'd like you to meet Mr. Williams. He's come all the way from Incheon to see you.

Chaeyoung shook hands with the elderly man, who was dressed in a brown suit and cowboy boots. "Would you be Carl Williams?"

The older man smiled. "That would be me."

"I've heard of you. You work for the governor."

"I do. And it's at his request that I'm here."

"I'll leave you two to talk." Mina said, moving to Chaeyoung and brushing a light kiss on her cheek. "I'm glad you're home."

She stared into Mina's eyes, not knowing whether to hug her. She had wanted her to stay at the Myouis ranch until Lee Hyeong Gyun was found, but she couldn't be sorry that her wife was home.

After Mina left the room, Chaeyoung drew up a chair and sat down. "You've come a long way, Mr. Williams."

"I think you'd better start calling me Carl if we are going to be doing business together."

In half an hour, Carl Williams had outlined the proposal that the government was offering Chaeyoung. "How does all that sound to you?"

Chaeyoung gazed around the room, noticing the changes Mina had made. There was a green rug on the floor and darker green curtains at the windows. There was a comfortable new brown-and-green chairs. There were other touches scattered about the room that made it warm and inviting.

She hadn't known that the house could look this good. Her mind went back to the man before her. "It sounds like my father-in-law had a hand in this somewhere."

"Not as much as you'd think. Oh, the governor spoke to him about you, but only because he'd heard you had enough land to support our endeavor.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter