Chapter 16

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The two days Chaeyoung had been away seemed to drag by for Mina. On the third day, she decided to go riding to get away from the house. Young K and Wonpil had ridden out before sunup, so they couldn't go with her. Even though Chaeyoung had told her not to ride out alone, she was going anyway!

In spite of the cold weather, there was a feeling of spring in the air. The breeze was sweeter, and tender sprigs of green peeped from beneath the latches of snow that still remained.

As she rode along the riverbank, she stopped to watch a doe with its fawn. Her heart felt lighter and her troubles lessened when she was riding. Young K and Wonpil had not found anymore dead cattle since Chaeyoung had gone, and that pleased her for Chaeyoung's sake.

She rode toward the cliffs, watching the way the river cut through a canyon, and she wished she could imprint this tranquil picture on her mind. She wanted to think of Chaeyoung riding here after she had gone. She wondered if the girl would lose the ranch. She couldn't let that happen. There had to be something she could do to help Chaeyoung.

It was almost sundown when she finally led her mount into the barn. She was glad to see that the stalls where Young K and Wonpil kept their horses were empty--that meant they weren't back yet. She unsaddled her horse and gave him a fresh hay. Her footsteps were heavy as she made her way to the house to face another evening alone. And to make matters worse, she'd forgotten to lay logs on the fire, so it had probably gone out; the house would be cold.

Glancing up, she saw smoke rising from the chimney, and she was puzzled. That was when she noticed the fashionable black carriage parked in front of the cabin. Her heart lightened--it belonged to her father!

She hurried into the house and was met at the door by a worried Sachi. "Where have you been, sweetie?" her mother asked, hands on hips.

Mina rushed into her mother's embrace and hugged her tightly. "Just riding. But I'm so glad you are here, Mom."

Sachi met Mina's eyes. "Are you alright?"

"Yes. But I wouldn't be if it hadn't been for Chaeyoung."

Sachi slid her arm around Mina's waist. How she loved her daughter so much, her two children were their life. "I am sorry you have gone through so much. But it's over now. They will find the men responsible, and that will put an end to it."

Mina nodded. "I know they will. I just needed you here with me to cheer me up."

Sachi stepped back and looked her over from head to toe. "I'd say your wardrobe is not quite ... in fashion. Whatever are you wearing?"

Mina grinned. "You don't like my choice of apparel."

"I should say not! It's fortunate for you that I brought your trunk, and even more fortunate that your father can't see you like this." She smiled. "Although I would love to see your father's face if he caught you in that garb."

Mina looked miserable into her mother's eyes. "I really need someone to talk to, Mom."

"That's why I'm here." She glanced around the house. "Where is this Son Chaeyoung? When I arrived there was no one here. I have wanted to meet her ever since I heard she'd rescued you."

"She's gone, looking for the possible traced of the men who kidnapped me."

"That's explains it. We may have crossed paths. Sachi walked around the room, examining the book on the shelf. "This house could certainly do with a woman's touch."

"That's what I think too."

"Well from what I've heard of Ms. Son, she would have no trouble getting a line of women to volunteer for that position. She's quite sought after, but has managed to elude matrimony thus far."

Mina removed Chaeyoung's coat and hung it on the coatrack. "I imagined you're right." She linked her arm through her mom and led her toward the kitchen. "I'm hungry, how about you?"

"Starved."

"Shall I make enough for the men accompanied you?"

"It seems Chaeyoung's man, Junhyuk, took them off to the  bunkhouse and settled them in."

"I'm surprised that dad would let you come without him,"

"He grumbled about it a bit, but in the end we both decided that you might need me, and I wanted to see for myself that my daughter were safe."

"I am. Young K and Wonpil have been looking out for me."

"Then let's eat. And afterward I want you to tell me everything that's happened."

Mina and Sachi were just about to sit down to eat when Young K and Wonpil ambled in. After Mina fed them and sent them off to the bunkhouse, she and her mom sat around the fire in silent companionship.

At last Sachi said. "Well, tell me about Ms. Son. What does she look like? What kind of a girl is she?"

Mina leaned her head back and thought for a moment. "She doesn't have the chiseled good looks that father or brother has, and she doesn't have the good girl crush looks of Jeongyeon. Chaeyoung's features are harsher, her eyes disturbing, as if she'd done and seen too much. I know that nothing can harm me when she's nearby. She's strong and lean, and when she looks at me I ... I want ..."

Sachi had been watching her daughter closely. "I see. Tell me a little more about her."

"She's like father, a man of the land, imagine it, mom. How come she do that all as a girl. The sky reflected in her eyes. She's proud, honorable, and stubborn. I have never seen anyone with eyes the color of hers. They can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter