Chapter 17

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The dinner crowd at the hotel dining room fell silent as they watched Maj. Yoo Jeongyeon limp toward Son Chaeyoung. Then people put theirs heads together, whispering, and the crowds reaction was not lost on Jeongyeon. She knew people were speculating about the kidnapping. Some of the gossip that had reached her ears was vicious, and she was not in the good mood.

Jeongyeon leaned heavily on a cane and grinned at Chaeyoung before easing herself onto a chair.

After a few curious glances people went back to enjoying their meals, and Chaeyoung nodded toward the splint. "How's the leg?"

"It doesn't hurt much now, but it itches like hell. I'll be glad to get this splint off. If the army doctor has his way, he'll keep me hobbled for the rest of my life."

"Yeah, I remember. My Confederate doctors were probably as inadequate as yours."

Jeongyeon picked up a water glass and turned it around in her fingers. "There is no way I can thank you for what you did, Chaeyoung. I don't know what would have happened to Mina if you hadn't gone after her."

"You don't owe me any thanks," Chaeyoung replied gruffly. "I am sure you are aware that she's at my ranch. I thought it would be the safest for her until Hong Eugene and Lee Hyeong Gyun are caught. But she would be safe enough if you took a company of your men and escorted her to Seoul."

Jeongyeon dropped her gaze, seeming to pay particular attention to the water glass. "I don't think it would be a good idea to bring her to Seoul at this time. She's better off where she is."

Chaeyoung looked puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"I . . . my mother and father have heard the gossip that's been circulating around town about Mina. They . . . we think it would be better to let it die down some before she comes back. After all, we don't really know what the Hong did to her. It could be somewhat difficult to explain to our friends back in our hometown."

"What the hell are you talking about, Jeongyeon?" Chaeyoung asked, jerking the glass out of Jeongyeon's hand and slamming it on the table, drawing attention to them again.

Jeongyeon lowered her voice. "Well, that little demonstration caught everyone's attention. We can't talk here."

"No," Chaeyoung said, barely able to control her temper. "We wouldn't want anything we said getting back to your home."

"Chaeyoung, don't say anymore. Let's get out of here. I sent a word to her father to meet us in my hotel room. He's probably there by now with my parents." Jeongyeon awkwardly rose to her feet. "Suppose we finish this conversation there."

Chaeyoung tossed money on the table and followed Jeongyeon out of the dining room and up the stairs. When they reached Jeongyeon's room, Kenji was already there, talking to Jeongyeon's parents.

Mrs. Yoo was a prim woman with a high-necked lace gown and several strands of pearls that hung almost to her waist. Mr. Yoo was an male older version of Jeongyeon, with gray hair and brown eyes.

Mrs. Yoo was speaking when Chaeyoung entered. "Mr. Myoui, I have heard nothing but praise about your family. I understand that your hacienda's is one of the largest ranch in Japan."

"There are others bigger," Kenji was saying, his eyes meeting Chaeyoung's. "But here's the girl you really want to meet, Mr. and Mrs. Yoo--Son Chaeyoung, the person who saved my daughter's life."

Chaeyoung nodded stiffly and turned to Jeongyeon. "Tell Mina's father what you just siad to me downstairs."

Jeongyeon smiled uncomfortably and offered her hand to Kenji. "We meet at last, Mr. Myoui. Mina has written me so much about you, I would have recognized you had we met on the street."

Kenji looked puzzled. "What are you supposed to tell me?"

"Go ahead," Chaeyoung prodded. "Repeat what you said to me."

"I merely pointed out to Chaeyoung that it might be better if Mina remained at her ranch until the gossip died down."

Kenji understood why Chaeyoung appeared so angry. He had not expected this from the person her daughter was going to marry. "Mina has suffered enough, Jeongyeon. I believe my daughter would be better off with the people who love her. If we keep her isolated, she will think we are ashamed of her."

"What my daughter means," Mr. Yoo interjected, "is that your daughter migh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter