Chapter 15

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A weak sun shining through a gray sky did little to banish the chill from the air. The people were still pondering what had happened to Myoui Mina, and they were even more curious when Mr. Myoui arrived in the town.

A group of people huddled near the general store watched Mr. Myoui going in into the Sheriff's office. Putting their head together and coming up for the reason of his sudden visit to Sheriff Park.

Kenji found the sheriff asleep behind the desk. He leaned forward and said in a commanding voice. "Wake up, Park. I heard you caught one of the Hong brothers."

The sheriff, Park Jinyoung , opened one eye and then the other. He thought the tall man dressed in an elegant business suit looked familiar, but he couldn't place him right off.

"Yeah. We got the youngest. His name is Hong Sam, and he was really scared." The sheriff got to his feet, hiking up his holsters where it had slipped beyond his ample belly. "And who are you, Sir?"

"I'm Myoui Kenji, and I want to question Hong Sam."

Park Jinyoung nodded, impressed by the importance of his visitor. "You got the right to talk to him if anyone does. You want me to bring him out here, or you want to go to his cell?"

"Has he talked?"

"Nope, he's not saying much."

"Then I might want to spend some time alone with him. He'll talk for me," Mr. Myoui said, his eyes narrowing.

"I'll take you there then, Mr. Myoui."

The front door opened, and Chaeyoung entered the jail. She paid little attention to the man talking to Sheriff Park, because she had more important matters on her mind. "I hear you got one of the Hong brothers. I want to talk to him."

"Get in line," the sheriff stated with humor. "What do you want from him, Chaeyoung?"

Kenji turned to meet the ice-cold eyes of the girl called Son Chaeyoung. "Are you Son Chaeyoung?"

Chaeyoung knew immediately that she was facing Mina's father. They are really look alike. "I am, and you must be Kenji Myoui."

The two of them took each other's measure. And Mr. Myoui was the first to speak. "Is my daughter with you?"

"No. I didn't think it would be wise to bring her out in the open just yet."

Mr. Myoui took two steps that placed him in front of Chaeyoung. "And you appointed yourself the expert on what's best for my daughter?"

"Hell, yeah," Chaeyoung said with the heat of anger. He had expected Mr. Myoui to be an arrogant bastard, and he was. "When I found Mina, you weren't around to ask how you wanted me to handle the situation. So, to save her life, I just acted on my own."

"How's my daughter, and what measures have you taken to protect her?"

Chaeyoung stared into the dark eyes of Mina's father. "She's taken over the running of my house---she's offerred me her advice on how to saddle a horse. She's taken on the running of my ranch---she is the damnadest, most stubborn woman I've ever met! How is she? You might better inquire how I've survived her instructions."

Sheriff Park whitened. No one, not even Son Chaeyoung, ought to say such things to Mr. Kenji Myoui about her daughter. With trepidation, he watched the two powerful person he knows existed in this town glare with each other, and wondered if their meeting was going to end in bloodshed. He couldn't let that happen, and was about to step between them when he heard Mr. Myoui laugh.

Kenji extended his hand to a startled Chaeyoung. "You have just accurately described my daughter. I can see now why Zed was convinced that Mina would be safe with you. Well done, Son. I can't believe such a girl existed, at first look I'm not goin to believe what I heard about you. But now that we are face to face, I can feel some fierceness about you. And hell, I already liked you."

Chaeyoung grinned and shook Mr. Myoui's hand. "I don't mind telling you, I dreaded meeting you far more than the Hong brothers, with Lee Hyeong Gyun thrown in for good measure."

Kenji clapped Chaeyoung on the back. "You will find the Myoui family grateful to you for what you did. Come, let us question Hong Sam. I won't rest until I have his brother and Lee locked away or dead, and I'd prefer to see them dead. I heard you had to kill the eldest. Later I will want you to tell me all about it."

They made their way back to the cells, leaving Sheriff Park  to follow, scratching his head in confusion.

 

                                       *     *     *     *     *

 

Hong Sam looked more like a frightened boy than a desperate outlaw. There was a misery on his youthful features, and he couldn't meet the eyes of the two hard-eyed person who entered his cell.

But when he saw Chaeyoung, his eyes brightened. "Ms. Son, have you come to get me out?"

Mr. Myoui spoke before Chaeyoung had a chance to. "And if she has, will you tell us where to find your brother Eugene?"

Sam glanced in confusion at Chaeyoung, he believed that the woman is Lee Hyeong Gyun's men. "Eugene's looking for our brother Jun Gyu. I don't believe hyung could run out with the money, but Eugene does."

Chaeyoung sat down on the empty cot accross from the young Hong boy. "Jun Gyu didn't run out on you anymore tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter