Chapter 11

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina cleaned the kitchen, then went into the living room, where she found a stack of comforters on the chair. She spread them before the fire so Chaeyoung could keep warm. She was so tired when she made her way to the bedroom. A smile lit her face when she saw that Chaeyoung had placed one of her flannel shirts across the foot of the bed. She was sure the girl wanted her to use it as a nightgown.

Cold air hit when she undressed, but Mina still took time to quickly wash herself. Shivering, she pulled the soft flannel shirt over her head. She laughed when it fell to her knees and the sleeves covered her hands. After rolling up the sleeves, she climbed into the bed, hoping Chaeyoung would have a comfortable night on the pallet.

Mina burried her face in Chaeyoung's pillow and sank into the mattress where the girl's body usually lay. A strange contentment came over her, and she could see herself spending the rest of her life in this house... in this bed with Chaeyoung.

The truth had been there all this time, but she had been too confused to recognize it. She had fallen in love with Chaeyoung. Not the idealististic love of a young girl who had been overwhelmed by the pretty looks of Jeongyeons and her kindness to her when she needed it the most. What she felt for Chaeyoung was the love that feel so real, she wanted to spend her whole life beside the girl. To stand beside Chaeyoung in all the hard times and to laugh with her in the good times. She wanted to press herself into the girls arms and never leave her.

Chaeyoung was different from Jeongyeon as the two could be. Jeongyeon was from a prominent family, always saying the right thing, her manners impeccable. She had the kind of looks that drew gasps from everyone. Chaeyoung in the other hand, would never feel at home, her hands were callused from the hardwork. She's the kind of person to fear if you are her enemy, but a person to be trusted if you were her friend. She was honorable, trustworthy, and always there to rely on.

Thinking about the cattle Chaeyoung would lose before this blizzard blew itself out brought tears to her eyes. She already knew the girl was not a person to give up. She'd fight on no matter what the odds. Chaeyoung work hard to rebuild her herd, and Mina wanted to be beside Chaeyoung and help the girl.

Mina rolled on her side and watched the snowflakes drift slowly past the window. She's hoping that her dad would like and respect Chaeyoung, because they were very much alike. She frowned, wondering on how her father will behave when he met the girl. She pulled the covers to her chin, relishing the feel of a soft bed. In no time at all, she was asleep.

 

                            *******************************

 

"Why the hell did you leave my daughter with a stranger? I don't know her, and you know I don't trust anyone that easily especially when it comes to my princess." Mr. Myoui dark gaze pierced Zed and Ali.

"But boss, that was Señorita Mina's wish to remain with Miss Son's ranch. She trust her and so do I. She is in no danger with her."

"Did it occur to either of you that her reputation might suffer because of the abduction, and now she's in the stranger's place, and without a chaperon?"

Zed slowly took a step forward and fixed Mr. Myoui with sensible glance. "I'm actually thinking that people will say what they want to say no matter what. I've heard talk about her being alone with the Hong brothers. I don't like what I've heard, but people always sink their teeth in the gossip."

Mina's father jaw clamped in a hard line. "What kind of talk, Zed?"

"I didn't want to tell you, but I suspect you should know."

"Just say it right out, old man," Mr. Myoui insisted.

Zed nodded grimly. "They are saying that she can't be pure if she's been with those Hong brothers. There is a man saying they are not the kind of men to leave her alone, if you know what I mean. I punch him and broke his jaw really bad."

"Show me the men who have said anything about my daughter, and they will die today." his dark eyes held a murderous light.

Ali placed his hand on his master shoulder. "You can't kill the whole town. The rumor will only grow worse if we call attention to it."

"The way I see it, Miss Mina is safe with Son Chaeyoung. And that frees us up to go hunting for the Hong brothers."

Mr. Myoui walked to the window and threw the curtains aside. "When did you say Jeongyeon and her family would be here?

"The note said by mid-morning." Ali answered.

Mr. Myoui stared out at the darkened streets, feeling helpless. He wanted to ride out tonight and get his daughter; he also wanted to find the Hong brothers and Lee Hyeong Gyun. He would take care of the men or someone who had dared touch Mina. He just nedded to know she was unharmed.

He glanced back at the two men who watched him expectantly. "While we wait for the Yoos, tell me everything you know about Mina's abduction and rescue by this Son Chaeyoung. And don't leave out any detail."

 

                              ***************************

 

Chaeyoung bumped her knee on the stone fireplace and muttered an oath beneath her breath. She feel cramped on the small pallet. She turned until she found a comfortable position, knowing her restlessness had more to do with the woman who slept on her bed than the hardness of the floor.

She'd never brought a woman in her ranch. She tried to imagine a girl who can cook, clean and will wait for her till she arrived home. But no woman of her acquintance fit that picture. Her imaginary woman took on a form and face--she was Mina. In her mind she could see her slowly undressing and coming to her to nestle in her arms.

She shot up to a sitting position and shook her head to clear it of the haunting vision. Mina hadn't been brought up to do housework or labor on a ranch. So she could cook--that didn't mean she would be willing to do without all the comforts she was accustomed having. She recalled Jeongyeon telling her that she'd hired a cook and housekeeper to take care of the house where she and Mina would live after they were married. No, she would not b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter