Chapter 30

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The house of the Son's ranch was a place of sadness. Everyone walked around quietly and spoke in whispers. Neighbors had stopped by to inquire about Mina and Chaeyoung, and even the governor had sent a letter stating his concern for them.

Chaeyoung had been placed on a cot in the parlor. She'd suffered broken ribs and a broken arm. The doctor had concluded that she had a serious concussion but no internal injuries that he could tell.

Mina was in the bedroom, and she was even more seriously hurt. The bullet had hit her lung. As the doctor was removing the slug, she had started hemorrhaging. That was when the doctor discovered that Mina was going to have a baby. He told Mr. Myoui that his daughter would probably miscarry.

Kenji had not left Mina's bedside day or night. He wouldn't let go of her hand, and he talked to her and sometimes prayed that God would not take her away from the people who loved her.

On the fifth day Chaeyoung opened her eyes. Sachi was sitting beside her, and when she groaned, Sachi took her hand.

"Try not to move, Chaeyoung. You have broken ribs and a broken arm."

She attempted to focus her eyes, but everything was  a blur. She couldn't remember why she was there or what had happened. Her arm was in a sling, and there were tight bandages taped around her ribs. "I'm . . . thirsty."

Sachi held a glass up to her lips and raised her head just a bit. "Take a small sips. Then later you may have more."

Obediently she did as she instructed. "What . . . are you doing?" Suddenly everything came back to her in a flash, and she gripped Sachi's hand, her heart heavy with grief. "She's dead, isn't she? Oh my god---Mina!"

Sachi forced her back against the pillow, which wasn't hard to do because she was so weak. "Mina isn't dead, Chaeyoung."

Her vision was clearing, and she looked into her mother-in-law's eyes. "You're telling me the truth, aren't you?"

"I will not lie to you, Chaeyoung. Mina is alive, but she is gravely ill."

She wet her cracked lips. "I have to see her." She raised herself up, and now no amount of cajoling would make her lie down.

"Kenji, I need you." Sachi called out, knowing Chaeyoung must not get up so soon, or she would only make herself worse.

Kenji was beside her in an instant, and with their combined strength they managed to restrain Chaeyoung.

Sachi spoke to Chaeyoung in a soothing voice. "If you will lie still, I will tell you everything."

Chaeyoung drew in a ragged breath and accepted the inevitable. "I promise. But tell me the entire truth."

"I will, because I know Kenji would want to know if it were me in Mina's place." Sachi and Kenji stared at each other with tears in their eyes. Sachi tried to speak, but she knew if she did she would start crying, and that would only upset Chaeyoung more than she already was. She saw the fear in Chaeyoung's eyes, and Sachi looked at Kenji.

"Kenji, please tell her," she said at last.

Kenji got on his knees, so he was level with Chaeyoung. "That bullet hit Mina's lung, Chaeyoung. The doctor removed the bullet, but she's lost a lot of blood." He lowered his head in sadness and waited a moment before he could go on. "As for the baby, the doctor isn't sure he can save it. She 's been hemorrhaging."

Chaeyoung closed her eyes, and tears seeped out of the corners. "Baby." There was torment in her voice. "Oh, God, she was going to have my baby, and I didn't know it." Her chest heaved with the emotions that she had kept locked inside for so long. She tried to rise, but blackness overtook her, and she fell blissfully into unconciousness.

It was dark when Chaeyoung opened her eyes again. Sachi was still sitting beside her, holding her hand.

"Don't talk if you don't want to. We'll just sit here quitely."

"I want to see Mina."

"You can't get up yet, Chaeyoung. But if you will eat a little, I'll ask the doctor if you can see her tomorrow."

"She's dead, and you aren't telling me!"

"No. I promise you she's not. In fact, the hemorrhaging has stopped, and so far she hasn't lost the baby."

A sob escaped Sachi's lips when she saw the tears in Chaeyoung's eyes. She knew the agony she must be feeling.

"She's all I ever wanted," she said, unashamed of the tears that clouded her vision. "Did you know she jumped in front of me and took the bullet meant for me?"

"Yes. Zed told me. He saw the whole thing, but he couldn't get there in time to help. He and Young K carried you and Mina home. Zed also told me you went over the cliff and took Lee Hyeong Gyun with you."

"May he rot in hell."

"He's dead, Chaeyoung. But by the grace of God, both you and Mina survived. I have to believe you will both get well, because you deserve to be together."

"Where is the doctor, I want to ask him about Mina."

"He's bedded down in the bunkhouse. But he's been here the whole time. He won't leave until you are both out of danger."

"I'll eat," Chaeyoung said, turning her head toward the bedroom where Mina lay, "if you promise I can see Mina tomorrow."

"I promise. I'm sure just hearing your voice will help her."

Her brown eyes were transparent with tears. "Did you know that Mina loves me?"

Sachi smiled. "Yes. I have known it for a very long time."

"I tried to hide my love  from her because I didn't think I was good enough for someone like her."

Sachi clasped Chaeyoung's hand. "She knew you love her, Chaeyoung. You don't think she would have married you otherwise, do you? She had just been waiting for you to admit it to yourself and then to tell her."

Chaeyoung managed a grin. "She's too good for the likes of me."

Sachi returned her smile. "You just keep thinking that, but I don't think Mina would agree with you."


Young K and Kenji help Chaeyo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter