Chapter 22

Winding Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Spring burst across the land. The prairie grasses had turned green, and new foals were frolicking in the fields among the wildflowers.

Mina shoved an apple through the fence to entice a young colt on wobbly legs to come forward. The colt nudged the apple and backed nervously away. The mare, however, was accustomed to Mina's bringing treats and pushed her head forward to take the apple, devouring it in a short time.

Kenji appear at her side, grinning. "You have always had the Myoui's touch with animals.

She turned trouble eyes on her father. "Dad, do you think Chaeyoung will lose her ranch?"

"Not if she can help it. She's a fighter, Mina, and won't give up easily."

"You admire her, don't you, Dad?"

"Yes, I do. But that doesn't mean I want you to marry her."

"I love her, dad."

He had balked at the idea of her daughter marrying Chaeyoung. He had nothing against the girl, but it was only a short time ago that she believed she loved Jeongyeon. Sachi had calmed many of Kenji's fears, and he did feel that Chaeyoung would be good to her daughter. "She won't accept help from you, Mina. She's way too stubborn to live on her wife's money."

"But I want to help her. There must be some way."

"We will think of something." He slid his arm around her shoulder. "It's funny thing--I was not all that willing to give you up to Yoo Jeongyeon, and I'm still not sure I know all that happened that night of the dance."

"I realized I couldn't marry Jeongyeon because I love Chaeyoung."

He tilted her chin up. "Has she told you she loves you?"

"Not in words. But I know she does."

He grinned. "That's why we men don't have a chance around you women. You always know what we are thinking."

"Mom certainly can read your mind." She threw back her head and laughed. "Mom is the perfect woman for you--just as Chaeyoung is right for me."

He moved toward the stable and called over his shoulder, "See you at dinner."

Mina turned back to the house, knowing that Chaeyoung would be arriving any day. She watched and listened for her and could hardly sleep at night for thinking about her. She couldn't wait to go back to the girls ranch and make it a home for her. She could hardly breath when she thought of the night she would go to Chaeyoung as her wife. Mina was determined to be the best wife possible. Chaeyoung had been alone for so long, and she wanted to take care of her. She wanted to give her a family and to make her happy.

She watched as three wagons pulled up to the house--more supplies for the wedding. Her father had insisted that her daughter marry in the Myoui style, and her mother had agreed with him. Invitations had gone out, and most of those invited would attend.

Chaeyoung rode through the gates of the Myoui ranch and looked around her with eyes of a rancher. Fat cattle grazed on plentiful grass, with an occasional bundle of hay dotting the land. Water was plentiful, fed by the double fork of the river. There was a peacefulness and serenity here. She galloped underneath huge trees that arched over the road. When she topped a rise, she gazed at the magnificient Japanese ranch house with the red-tile roof. There were barns, stables, outbuildings and bunkhouses. Blooded horses ran behind the white rail fence near the corral. This was the kind of life Mina was accustomed to. What kind of life could she expect to have with her? There was nothing she could offer her that her father didn't have more of.

As she rode up to the stable Zed came hobbling toward her. "I was told you were coming, Ms. Son. There's quite a to-do up to the big house." He cast a sideways glance at Chaeyoung. "You are taking the rose of Myoui's ranch. I expect you will look out for her and treat her well."

Chaeyoung had to smile at the crusty old cowboy. I'll do my best, Zed."

"I know you would. I heard you're a good person; leastwise, Sachi says so, and she aint never wrong about people."

Chaeyoung dismounted. "I'll have to remember to thank her for the kind testimonial."

At that moment Sachi came across the yard with a welcoming smile on her lips. "Chaeyoung. I'm glad you're here at last." She could tell Chaeyoung was startled when she kissed her cheek and linked her arm through hers. "I'm afraid you are going to have suffer through a long bout of singing and dancing tonight. We at the Myoui's house know how to celebrate a wedding in fine style."

Chaeyoung removed her hat and paused at the door. "Mina still wants to go through with this?"

Sachi looked into Chaeyoung's slate brown eyes. She saw there the anxiety she was feeling. "I don't think you can get away from her now, so you'd better get ready to settle down and become a married one." Impishness danced in Sachi's eyes. "Father Yeun has already arrived to perform the ceremony."

Chaeyoung ran a hand through her hair nervously. "What can I offer her compared to all this?" She made a wide sweeping motion with her hands. "You've seen my house."

"Mina will have turned into a home before you know it. And as for what you can offer her?" Sachi shook her head and laughed. "I'd be willing to bet half the women in the state of Korea envy her because she caught the elusive Son Chaeyoung."

She grinned at the woman who would soon her mother-in-law. "You always  know the ri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter