New Friends

Biting The Hand That Feeds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♦ - ♥ - ♦

 

"Faster!"

Somin was outside with Jaehyun, the wolf blocking her attempts to take a swipe at him. "Faster, Somin! You're probably not going to have strength over your opponent, so you need speed instead. Again!"

The girl couldn't help it; she wasn't focused hardly at all. Her mind was in another place, replaying looks and glares from Mark. The youngest member of the pack had Bonded to her. He was her mate, but much more passive about it than Yuta was. Somin wasn't in love with him, but she wasn't in love with Yuta, either. And seeing the hurt on his face because she wasn't as close to him, or because Yuta was more bold with skinship or his words, made her feel guilty.

"Somin!" Jaehyun snapped her back into reality by grabbing her from behind. Startled, she tensed, but Jaehyun just tightened his hold on her. "See what happens when you're distracted?"

Gritting her teeth, Somin slammed her foot down on his, as she was taught. She her elbow back into his stomach with all the force her spent, sore muscles could afford. It was apparently more strength than Jaehyun had been expecting, the wolf letting out a grunt and kneeling forward, giving Somin the opportunity to try to drive her elbow upwards towards his face, but he managed to avoid that before he got a black eye or a bloody nose. "Better," he mumbled as he let her go, rubbing his ribs. "That's going to bruise. Good, but you were distracted the whole time. What the hell are you thinking about?"

Somin considered Jaehyun for a moment, while he sat down and pushed his sweaty hair from his forehead, throwing her a water bottle. She opened it, sitting next to him. "I don't know how to handle attention, or the whole situation between Yuta, Mark, and myself at all, honestly," she admitted.

Jaehyun didn't look too surprised; everyone in the pack knew Mark was quiet, and passive, and that Yuta was much more outspoken and extroverted. "Don't know if I'm the right person to offer advice, if that's what you're looking for. Taeil hyung's smart with this stuff."

"None of you are in the position to give me advice, but I don't actually care." Rolling her eyes, Somin dusted dirt from her pants. "You know Mark better than I do. I just want him to stop looking like a kicked puppy."

The wolf snorted in amusement. "Right. Well, the kid's a er for attention. He always looks jealous when Yuta hugs you, or kisses your cheek. He's too shy to do that himself, plus you're not as close with him as you are Yuta hyung. But hugging him would be a good idea. Holding hands, if you're comfortable. You do that with Yuta hyung. The rest can come in time."

"It feels weird. The thought of being affectionate with both of them openly."

"Well," Jaehyun started again as he looked to the sky, which was clear for the first time in almost a week. "Just remember they're your mates, and you're their mate. Jealousy is ugly, and it's going to be there, but they'll be mature enough to get over it. Do what feels right to you."

"I guess so." 

 

♦ - ♥ - ♦

 

And so began Project Affection. It wasn't just that Mark was Somin's mate that made her think of the incredibly cheesy-sounding personal project, and it didn't just apply to Mark.

Somin grew up alone. She didn't receive any physical affection from anyone after she turned seven. Even before then, the only people that gave her any amount of attention were the workers of the house, including Somin's wet nurse who was fired for letting her out of the cellar one day. So skinship wasn't natural to her. She didn't know how to give it, and was incredibly awkward receiving it. It was a miracle she didn't stiffen up like a board every time Yuta wrapped his arms around her. 

The girl started by letting herself lean against Mark on the bus in the mornings. This was pretty easy, as well as practical, since this way Mark could keep her from falling over, and his arm would naturally wrap around her waist to keep her against his stronger frame. Somin would hook their arms together casually walking from the bus to school, but she'd generall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter