Too Calm

Biting The Hand That Feeds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♦ - ♥ - ♦

 

It had been nearly two months of Somin living with the wolves when she started feeling strange. Everything was going wonderfully. Yes, there were two wolves Bonded to her, but her life was the best it had ever been. She was cared for, in this pack. She belonged.

But because she had a pack of her own now, she couldn't help but think of the one she left--her father's pack. Somin was aware Taeyong was still keeping tabs on her family since one of the older wolves would be gone for a day or two at least once a week, because they were out spying on the Im pack. Everything was too calm, and it was bothering Somin, nagging at her.

"Taeyong?" the female called as she knocked on the door of the room he shared with Yuta.

"Come in," the alpha responded. Somin opened the door and saw him sitting down at his desk, papers in neat stacks on his desk. Different piles for different classes at university, another neat stack of bills, and checkbook balances. His organization was admirable, though it clearly wasn't rubbing off on Yuta, whose side of the room was clearly marked by the unmade bed and dirty clothes hanging out of the basket and onto the floor. Taeyong, noticing her gaze, smiled a little. "Don't suppose you have the power to tell your mate to clean up after himself? I'm his alpha but not even I can do anything about it."

"I think he calls the mess part of his 'manly charm'," Somin said, moving her eyes back to Taeyong. "You might just have to keep living with it."

The alpha made a face. "I hope not. Or else I'm forcing him on Taeil, or into the living room. Anyway, anything wrong?"

"Yes. No. Not really--but kind of."

"Make up your mind," Taeyong said, amused.

The girl sighed and sat down on Yuta's bed. "Fine. Yes. I was wondering...about my family. Is that weird? I'm just...are they even looking for me? Did they even care about me at all? Or did they actually hate me enough that as soon as I disappeared they just didn't care? They just accepted their daughter was gone without even questioning it, not even caring if I'm dead or alive?" All the words rushed out at once. Her chest tightened, tears pricking at the back of her eyes. "I know they wanted a boy, and that they never wanted me--they made that clear. But if they really hated my existence that much, why didn't they just put me up for adoption or something? They had to care at least a little, right? I'm their daughter. That has to count for something. It has to." Now her eyes were watering up, a tear slipping down her cheek that she wiped away angrily.

Taeyong softened and let out a soft little sigh. "I didn't want to say anything because I didn't know if you wanted to hear anything about them. They gave birth to you, but that hardly makes them your parents. They don't deserve that." Moving, he sat down next to her on Yuta's bed, not touching her, just sitting. "They're looking for you," he said slowly. "Yuta's been freaking out a little. I think some of your worry is probably his. Mark's, too, but Yuta's more of the worry-wart, despite his best efforts to appear otherwise."

"They're looking?" Somin's head snapped up. "Do they miss me? Are they worried?"

The alpha was hesitant to respond now, making Somin's face crumple. Taeyong winced at the change of expression, feeling his heart ache for the poor girl. "I can't say if they're worried, or if they miss you. All I know is that they're searching. They're moving closer to the city in their search, but they're going further into the opposite direction, too. They don't know where you are yet, so don't worry. You're safe."

"I'm not worried about that. I know you'll keep me safe." Somin rubbed her eyes, angry she was even cry

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter