Trying to Avoid Scandals

The Luck of Encounters

“Konnichiwa, Japan,” Yunho shouts as we get off the plane.

               Luckily, there’s no crowd waiting for the boys, making our arrival more peaceful than our departure. Even so, I lag a little behind. Young Ja sat me down the day before we’d left to remind me to keep a friendly, but strictly professional relationship with DBSK while in public so as to avoid misunderstandings among the media. I knew this was going to be hard, especially with Yoochun since I naturally engage in skinship when I’m with friends. I honesty can’t help it, but I’d better start now and hope it becomes easier.

“Noona! Hurry up!” Changmin’s shout breaks my self-reflection as I look up to see him, Junsu, and Yoochun standing a little ahead, waiting for me. Yunho and Jaejoong are in their own little world, going ahead to the baggage claim.

“Sorry, guys,” I apologize as I quicken my pace to catch up. As they begin walking away, I subtly stay two steps behind them.

Yoochun looks to his side, then behind. “_______, what’re you doing back there? I can’t talk to you if you’re behind me.”

“Sorry, oppa... This is what I’m supposed to be doing.”

The other two look back at me now, wearing confused expressions to match Yoochun’s.

“What you’re supposed to be doing?” Junsu asks.

I avoid their eyes as I answer. “My boss said I shouldn’t act too familiar with any of you while we’re in public so I don’t create a misunderstanding.”

“Misunderstanding? Oh,” Changmin says, understanding. “You mean someone thinking you’re dating one of us.”

“Yeah,” I say lamely.

“That’s an easy fix,” Yoochun smiles. Pulling out a book from his bag, he pulls me in between him and Junsu, putting the book in my hand. “See? You’re just our interpreter who’s helping us with our Japanese.”

I smile and shake my head at his quick fix.

“We’re going to be late. Pick it up or we’ll miss lunch,” Yunho yells at us.

Changmin immediately speeds up, almost running to get his luggage. Junsu, Yoochun, and I start walking a little faster, but Junsu slows to take out his phone. Opening it, he smiles and begin texting back.

“Hey, Junsu. Who’re you texting?”

Junsu jumps and hides his phone behind his back. “No one.”

“You really expect me to believe that?” Yoochun asks, arching an eyebrow. Moving quickly, he snatches Junsu’s phone. When Junsu tries to get it back, Yoochun tosses it, saying, “_______! Catch.”

    I catch the phone out of reflex. As I do, I notice the look of slight panic on Junsu’s face. Yoochun is still laughing and looking at me expectantly, oblivious to Junsu’s expression.

I take a quick look at the screen, then up again. Making a split decision, I close the phone and go over to hook my arm with Junsu’s, rescuing him from Yoochun. “Chill, Yoochun. It was just his mom. That’s so sweet of you, Junsu-a.”

“Aish, boring. Why'd you act guilty? You do that every time we go abroad,” Yoochun sighs, walking away to retrieve his bag.

“Thanks, noona,” Junsu sighs as soon as Yoochun is out of earshot. I realize my arm is still in Junsu’s and quickly remove it.

“Why didn’t you want him to know you were texting Ye Jin?” I ask.

He gives an embarrassed smile and looks away.

Something clicks in my mind. I begin smiling. “You like her? Don’t you?”

“No! Yes. Maybe..I don’t know.”

“Aw, you do.”

He looks back at me. “Yeah, I kinda do.”

“Have you told her?”

“No...”

“Why not?”

“We’ve been friends for a really time and...I’m not sure I want to risk losing her by telling her I love her. What if she says no and never talks to me again?”

“Oh, so you’re worried about that. Well, that’s an easy fix.”

“It is?”

“Sure. I’ll ask her.”

“What?” he squeaks.

I shrug. “Girls do it all the time. Okay, maybe not all the time. I’ll have to get to know her a little better, but I can still ask her in a non-suspicious way.”

“Noona, you can’t!”

“Why not?”

“What if she figures it out? It’d be the same as telling her.”

“Slowpokes, I got your bags for you,” Yoochun announces, coming back to us and setting our bags at our feet.

“Thanks, oppa,” I smile. “Do you know how far it is to the hotel?”

“Didn’t they tell you?”

“Tell me what?”

“We have a dorm here,” Yunho answers as we catch up to the rest of the group. “So we’ll be staying there.”

“Oh, all right. Is my hotel far from the dorm?”

“You’re staying with us too, _______,” Jaejoong says.

“I am?” I ask, very surprised. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” he shrugs. “All the other staff live there too, a floor below us.”

“But we asked for you to be in one of the rooms on our floor,” Yoochun says.

My eyes widen. “Why?”

“There’s a spare room right next to us, so why not? We told them it was so we’d have easier access to you for help with our Japanese.”

“It was Yoochun’s idea,” Changmin says.

“Can I help it that I like my friends close?”

“Wait, do they know that we know each other?” I ask.

“No. I don’t see why it’s any of their business. We usually end up being friends with the people we work with anyway. Maybe not close friends, but how could we not resist getting closer to our pretty interpreter?”

“Knock it off,” I smile. “You make me sound like a temptress or something.”

“Well, your head’s a little too big...”

“Yah!”

“Just kidding, ______,” he laughs.

“Are you guys ready for your interview?” Mr. Choi asks the boys as we approach the black van.
“What interview, hyung?” Junsu asks.

“It’s for the DVD of the second release of ‘T’. Don’t worry, it’s really informal. Do you remember Ishibashi-ssi who came a few weeks ago?”

“Oh, him. No problem. Right, guys?” Yunho asks, turning to the rest of s. They nod in agreement.

“He made it into a game last time we were here. It was a lot of fun,” Yoochun explains, helping me put my luggage in the trunk.

“Will you need me?” I ask. 
“You’ll be sitting in the back seat, mostly out of sight but still able to help them,” Mr. Choi says. “It’ll make more sense when you see how the inside’s set up.”

“Annyeonghasaeyo,” the boys chorus as they pile into the van, bowing slightly. The seats have been moved to form a circle around a small table.

A middle aged Japanese man already sitting in one of the seats warmly replies, “Annyeonghasaeyo. Good to see you again. How was the flight?”

“It was fine, Ishibashi-san. How have you been?” Yunho asks politely.

“Good, good. And who is this?” he asks as I enter the van behind Yoochun.

“This is our new interpreter, _______. Mr. Kim had to take an extended sick leave.”

“Ah. Pleasure to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you as well, Ishibashi-san.”

“You’ll be sitting here,” he says, motioning to a smaller seat located slightly behind the chairs for the boys. “Close enough to hear and speak to them.”

“Thank you.” I move to my seat and adjust my position slightly so I can barely be seen.

“Ready to start?” Ishibashi asks.

“Camera’s almost ready,” one of the cameramen replies.

    The camera starts rolling as the van pulls out of the airport. Ishibashi is really good, making the boys even more relaxed as he interviews them. As Yoochun predicted, it does turn into a game exploring the dynamics of the group. I smile to myself hearing them laugh, enjoying it as much as them. They do pretty well on their own, probably because Ishibashi often provides them with the correct words when they falter. In almost no time, the interview concludes as we arrive at the dorm. After saying goodbye and seeing Mr. Ishibashi off in his own car, we begin unloading our things and go into the dorm.

“This is it, home away from home,” Yoochun says as we exit the elevator.

“Kinda bare isn’t it?” I tease.

“This is the hallway, smartie. I’ll show you your room first.” He leads me to the second door, just a little farther to the left from theirs. “Tada.”

The white room is spartan in decoration, but at least it has its own bathroom and big windows.

“They should’ve brought sheets up,” he says, looking around. “Here they are. Would you like help?”

“That’d be great. Thanks.”

He tosses me one end of the sheet and we work together to put the bed together. As soon as we finish, Yoochun flops into it with a happy sigh.

“Hey, go nap in your own bed.”

He closes his eyes. “But it’s so far and I’m so sleepy.”

“I want to nap too, so move.”

    I try pushing him off, but he’s too heavy. When I grab his feet to pull him off, he grips the bed frame. As I last resort, I start tickling him. Yoochun tries to ignore me but eventually it’s too much. He bursts out laughing and squirms, trying to avoid my fingers, but I’m relentless. Suddenly, he flips over and grabs my arms, pulling me down on the bed next to him. He begins returning the favor, pinning me down and tickling me mercilessly. Unfortunately, I’m very, very ticklish.

“Stop it!" I squeal, giggling madly.

“Not until you admit defeat,” he laughs.

Somehow, I free a hand and launch a sneak attack. He loses his balance and falls on top of me. He manages to catch himself. We look at each other, completely frozen, our lips a whisper apart.

=====================

HyeSuh:But this IS your life *wink wink*.

PurpleangelSJ:<3 Ye Jin may not be making a physical appearence, but she will be mentioned a few times ;).

ChinkyKayla:I think its a word, at least in my dictionary. Thanks for reading.^^