I'll Always Take Care of You

The Luck of Encounters

“Hey, it’s time to wake up,” a soft voice says.

“What?” I mumble, reluctantly turning my face away from my pillow.

“Time to get up. Well, actually a little earlier since I thought you’d probably want to shower and change before we left,” the voice says.

I blink my eyes open seeing as what the voice says sounds reasonable. Changmin, still wrapped in the blanket from last night, looks down at me with a smile.
I smile back sleepily. “Hi, Changmin.”

“Hi, noona.”

“Changmin?”

“Yes?”

“I’m glad for the wake up, but...why are you in my room?”

Changmin chuckles. “You’re in our room, noona.”

“What?”

    At that moment I realize several things simultaneously. I’m still on the couch from last night, it is indeed morning, there’s a blanket over me, and my pillow is moving. Reining in my impulse to bolt up, I slowly push myself up. Turns out my pillow is really Yoochun’s chest. He’s still asleep, his hair tossed across his face.

“Oops.” Slowly moving away from Yoochun, I get up as soon as I’m sure I won’t wake him. “I’m sorry. I really didn’t mean to fall asleep here. Thank you for the blanket. I’ll leave right now.”

“Relax, _______. You’re not going to get in trouble,” Changmin says, gently touching my shoulder. “You didn’t do anything wrong. Feel free to crash on the couch anytime. And you can thank Jaejoong hyung later. He’s the one who put the blanket on you two.”

“Okay. Thanks for waking me up. I’ll see you in a bit.” I hurry out of the room, leaning against my door when I get back to my room.

    I really hope Changmin doesn’t think...I don’t know what to hope he doesn’t think.  Maybe he’ll think it’s just like the first day we came here when Yoochun and I took a nap together, just as friends. Having any of the guys know about my feelings would not be good. They might not approve or even worse, they may tell Yoochun before I’m ready to let him know.

    Thanks to Changmin, I’m able to shower and put myself together with a little time to spare before we leave.

As we’re waiting for the vans, Yoochun pulls me aside. “How’re you doing this morning?” he asks.

“Better,” I smile. “Thanks for staying with me last night, and being my pillow.”

“My pleasure,” he smiles back.

    The vans arrive, putting an end to our conversation. Throughout the day I have to make myself not look at Yoochun too long, to talk to the others just as much. They seem to go out of their way to keep me occupied and I can’t help smiling at how sweet they’re being. I even forgive Yunho for ratting me out. The day’s schedule passes in a blur and it’s soon time for us to split.

As I’m getting ready to join most of the other staff and return to the dorm, Yoochun stops me. “How’d you like to come with us instead?”

“Really?” I ask excitedly. “Wait, what about dinner?”

“I think we can handle take-out for one night,” he laughs. “So you want to come?”

“Sure.” I follow him to the boys’ van. “I haven’t seen you guys dance except for your music videos. Are you sure it’ll be all right?”

“Of course. Once we get into it, we probably won’t even notice you’re there. Choi hyung was planning to bring you in the next couple days anyway.”

“Why?”

“We always do little things in between every few songs to give ourselves a break,” Yoochun explains. “We wanted to just run through some of them with you to make sure we’re saying what we actually want to.”

“Good idea,” I agree, stepping up into the van. “Hi, guys.”

“You’re coming!” Junsu exclaims happily from the back seat.

“Everyone have their seat belt on?” Mr.Choi calls from the front passenger seat.

“Almost,” Yunho answers. He looks behind him, then at me. “Where’s _____ going to sit? There’s only five seats here.”

“I can just grab a ride with someone else,” I say as I register the same fact.

“Don’t be silly. You can sit with me.” Yoochun pulls me onto his lap, adjusts the seat belt, and buckles us in.

“Yoochun.” I glance anxiously at Mr. Choi.

Mr.Choi laughs. “Don’t worry, ______. Yunho told me you two were friends from before and I know Yoochun flirts with everyone.”

Yoochun wraps his arms around me to keep me from sliding as the van starts. “Hyung,” he complains. “You make me sound like a playboy. I can’t help it I’m friendly.”

“That’s the word,” Jaejoong chuckles.

“What is this? ‘Beat on Yoochun’ hour? At least ______ still loves me, right, _______?”

Yoochun asks, resting his head on my shoulder as I nod. “Your hair smells amazing.”

“I bet you’ll be one of those creepy old men who flirts with schoolgirls,” Junsu laughs.

“I won’t be creepy! They’ll think I’m charming and adorable.”

Ignoring the two of them as they continue arguing good-naturedly, I turn to Changmin. “Are you feeling better?”

“A little,” he says. “My neck’s still sore, but not as bad,”

“Maybe you should get it checked out,” I suggest.

“It’s nothing. Besides, we don’t have time.”

“But it’d only take like ten minutes. What if you’re actually sick?”

Changmin shrugs. “I’m probably not. I don’t get sick often.”

“It’s all his youthful energy,” Yunho says, twisting around in his seat. “Changmin, if you’re not feeling well, you can skip today’s practice.”

“I’m fine. Seriously, don’t worry about me.”

“Any sickness probably just grows out of you,” Jaejoong jokes.

“Don’t talk about getting sick, guys. You’ll jinx yourselves,” Mr. Choi warns. “We can’t afford that with your concerts next week.”

“Better get more sleep then.” Yoochun lays his head against my back. “Good night.”

“You know we only have like five minutes until we get there?” Yunho reminds him.

    I don’t know if I’m grateful or sad the arena is so close, but soon enough we’re pulling into the underground entrance. Tagging along after the boys, I look everywhere. The arena is huge, with the stage taking up more than half of the ground-space. A group of men and women are already milling about center stage, stretching and talking. The boys easily join them to begin their own warm ups. Mr. Choi, having got the scripts the boys wrote from his bag, sits down with me on a side of the stage to look over them. Even as I read, I can’t help overhearing a snatch of a close-by conversation.

“Hey, Yoochun, who’s the girl with your manager?” an unfamiliar voice asks.

Glancing sideways from under my lashes, I see Yoochun and a handsome back-up dancer standing a few feet away.

“That’s our interpreter, ______,” Yoochun answers.

“What happened to your old one?”

“Family stuff.”

“She’s kinda cute,” the dancer says, looking me over.

“Don’t even think about it, Toyoo,” Yoochun warns.

“What? She has a boyfriend?”

“Yup. Been together for six years so I don’t think she’ll be leaving him anytime soon.”

“All the good ones are taken,” Toyoo sighs. “I guess I’ll have to keep asking Junko out.”

“Good luck, man.” Yoochun claps him on the back.

    As the two of them walk away, I put the conversation away to think over later. I finish the scripts in no time, making only minor changes. Once I return them to Mr. Choi, I walk out into the audience area and find a seat. I watch with interest as practice progresses, every dance performed in its entirety several times before a final run through of the entire show. Admittedly, he’s not as good a dancer as Yunho, but my eyes rarely leave Yoochun, appreciating the play of light on the muscles of his exposed arms, the way his body moves.

    After they change out of their sweat drenched clothes, the boys wearily climb back into the van. Even though I again offer to find another ride, I wind up in my previous seat of Yoochun’s lap. When we get back to the dorm, I go ahead and order the food and offer up my shower. Changmin hurriedly takes it, probably glad he’ll get hot water. Soon everyone’s off showering or changing again except for me and Yoochun, who’s resting on the couch, waiting his turn.

“So,” I start, sitting beside him. “When do I get to meet him?”

“Meet who?” Yoochun asks with a confused look.

“My boyfriend. Six years is a long time to be dating someone without ever meeting them after all.”

Yoochun looks confused for another few seconds before he understands. He grins abashedly. “So you heard that, huh?”

“I did. Care to tell me why you lied? Toyoo was kinda cute himself,” I reply, pretending to examine my nails.

“You’re too good for him and that was the first thing that popped into my head.”

“Okay,” I say slowly. “I guess I’m flattered, but what exactly does that mean?”

“Toyoo’s a good guy, but he goes through girls pretty fast. You deserve someone who’ll cherish you, who won’t let you go no matter what, who’ll love you until the end of time.”

“Oppa,...that’s so sweet.” Tentatively, I kiss his cheek. “Although I don’t like you lying, thanks for looking out for me.”

Yoochun looks at me, the surprise in his face slowly turning into a smile. “I’ll always take care of you. Remember that, okay?”

I stifle a happy sigh. “I will.”

“Yoochun, shower’s free,” Jaejoong calls.

Yoochun gives me one more smile before ambling towards the bathroom. My phone rings, announcing the arrival of the food. I happily float down the stairs, buoyed by Yoochun’s promise. When I come back to the room, I try to tone down my smile.

“Did something good happen that we should know about? You look like a cat with a big bowl of cream,” Junsu comments as I put the food down.

“That’s because I am,” I reply. “I’m starving and the food smells amazing.”

    The others are drawn in by the smell and soon ravenously consume the food. I discreetly claim the spot next to Yoochun. As their stomachs fill, their eyes begin drooping. I push the boys to bed, promising to clean up.


    The following days fall into a similar pattern. Except for an evening spent bonding with Ye Jin, I spend most of them with the boys at the arena, with Mr.Choi’s permission. Even though by the third night I know the routines by heart, I never get tired of watching them. To tell the truth, I don’t get tired of sitting close to Yoochun on the rides there either. However, I start noticing that the boys aren’t feeling so good, even though they never complain.

    At first it was just Changmin with his neck pain, but then Jaejoong starts talking less. Yoochun sleeps more than usual. Junsu has less enthusiasm. Even Yunho seems to have less energy. At first I chalk it up to them being tired, but after the signs continue, I tell to Mr.Choi.

“I’ve noticed too,” he says quietly, watching them as they go through the last routine. “After this is over, I’ll take them to a clinic. I’ll need you to come along as well. My Japanese is mediocre.”

When we get back into the van, Yoochun leans against me. I reach back to touch his head and find my suspicions confirmed when I feel a small fever.

“Hyung, where’re we going? The dorm’s that way,” Jaejoong says, his voice whispery.

“First we’re going to a clinic to get you guys checked out,” Mr. Choi replies. “If you all are coming down with something, I’d rather take care of it now.”

    Fortunately, there’s no patients when we arrive at the clinic so the boys are able to go in almost immediately. They come back one by one until the doctor comes back with Yunho, who insisted on going last.

“How are they?” I ask, Mr.Choi standing beside me awaiting the answer.

“Not good, but not bad either,” the doctor says. “Unluckily, they all have the flu in varying stages, but the stages are still relatively early so rest and the antibiotics I’ll give you should prevent these boys from getting worse.”

“How much rest?” Mr.Choi asks worriedly when I relay the diagnosis.

The doctor gives the boys a sympathetic glance as he answers my question. “Three days would be best, but I doubt that’s possible, knowing who they are. If they have to do something, they should at least avoid rigorous physical activity for at least two days so the medicine can do its work.”

Mr.Choi runs his hand through his hair as the doctor walks away to order the prescriptions. “Three days?”

“Or two with little physical activity,” I remind him. “What if we reschedule most of the next two days’ interviews for Sunday and Monday? The first part of next week is open for day long concert practice but the guys are already comfortable on the stage.”

“That could work. The networks and S.M won’t be happy,” he mutters.

“They also won’t be happy if the concerts and interviews have to be cancelled period because the boys are too sick to perform. Keep the radio and internet show interviews as they are since no one will see the boys and there’s limited contact with others. Reschedule that fan meeting too, closer to the concerts. It’ll build up the anticipation.”

“You’re right...but who will take care of them? I’ll be busy rearranging everything.”

“I will, Choi-ssi,” I say. “Go ahead, take care of the schedule and I’ll take care of them.”

“You, _____, are a lifesaver,” Mr.Choi sighs. “I’ll stay here to get the medicine while you make sure they get back and start resting. I’ll just get a taxi.”

“All right.” Walking back to where the boys are sleepily waiting, I say, “Let’s go, guys. I know you’re tired and not feeling good, but we’re going back to the dorm.”

“What about Choi hyung?” Junsu asks, nonetheless following my directions.

“He’s staying behind to get the medicine,” I explain, shepherding them into the van. “He told me to get you home to rest so you can get better. And don’t worry about the next two days. Choi-ssi is reworking the schedule so the only thing you all have to do is regain your health.”

“But the fan meeting-” Yunho starts.

“That’ll be next week, oppa. Don’t worry.”

“Wow, two whole days. Can’t believe it.” Yoochun gives a small smile. “I won’t know what to do with myself.”

    After that, they don’t say much and all but Changmin fall asleep. I feel bad about waking them up, but there’s no way the driver and I are carrying them. I insist they shower, hoping the hot water will help, and use the time to whip up a quick soup chock-full of vegetables. Mr. Choi briefly returns with the medicine and some vitamin shots. Thankfully, he takes care of the shots while I give out the soup and medicine. After Mr.Choi leaves and the boys finish most of the soup, I get the them to bed.

As I put the rest of dinner away for tomorrow, I hear someone come shuffling back into the living room. “Oppa,” I softly scold, hastily going to Yoochun’s side. “You should be asleep.”

“Can’t fall asleep. Too hot,” he complains, holding his blanket tightly around him.  

“Go lie on the couch then and I’ll get you a cold compress.”

    Yoochun does as I tell him. Wetting a hand towel, I follow him and sit on the coffee table so I can apply the towel to his face.

“Poor baby,” I murmur, feeling his burning skin through the compress. “Why didn’t you say anything before?”

“Didn’t want to complain,” Yoochun replies, closing his eyes.

“Hang on.” Temporarily lifting the towel, I push a pillow under his head and tuck the blanket more securely around him. Gently brushing his hair away from his skin before returning the cool cloth, I say, “We’ll have you better in no time. I’ll take care of you.”

“I know. I always knew you...”

“Knew what?”

Yoochun opens his eyes. “That you were an angel.”

“I’m no angel,” I smile. “Just a regular human.”

“No, you’re an angel. Always knew it. Maybe that’s why,...” His eyes flutter closed again.

“Why what?”

“Why I fell in love with you,” he says.

-===========================

Omo! I am so so so sorry lovlies! I swear I updated this on Saturday, but it looks like the problems the site was having involved deleting this chapter. Mianhae! I got so scared that I'd made everyone made when I got on today to look for comments and there were none! I'm also sorry for the spaced out updates (I'll try for another this week) but I'm going crazy from stressing over my visa! Ughs! At least I have you all. I unfortunately don't have time to answer your comments again, but I will in the next update. Promise. Saranghae!