Welcome Surprises

The Luck of Encounters

“Hyung, how far away is the hotel?” Junsu yawns, adjusting his sun glasses as we wait for Changmin and Jaejoong to finish getting through immigration.

“It’s about a twenty minute drive,” Mr. Choi answers, glancing at the clock on the wall before adjusting his watch. “I’ll go ahead and see if the van’s here. Meet me out by the doors, arasso?”

Yunho nods and stretches as Mr.Choi walks away. Sitting down on his luggage, he remarks, “It’s kind of weird not being rushed through an airport.”

“And no flocks of fans held back by bodyguards,” Jaejoong adds as he sinks down to sit beside Yunho, having joined us in time to hear his comment.

“It almost seems empty,” Junsu says, looking around the corridor and watching the steady stream of people pass our small group by.

Yoochun adjusts his head on my shoulder. “But it’s a nice break.”

“Wait, where’s Changmin?” Jaejoong asks, looking around with a slightly worried face. “He was right behind me.”

“I’m right here, hyung,” Changmin replies as he walks up, putting a hand on Jaejoong’s shoulder. “Why are you all sitting? Didn’t we do enough of that on the plane?”

“We were waiting for you while Choi-ssi went to check if the van was here yet,” I explain, looking at my phone. “We should probably go find him now.”

    Slowly, we gather everything up and make our way to the doors of the international pick up area. I smile as I look around at the many joyful faces as people are reunited with their loved ones.

“_____!” a voice suddenly shouts.

I have a few seconds to register it’s my name being called and turn in that direction before I’m enveloped in two strong arms and lifted off the ground.

“Hi, hi, hi!” Daniel yells in my ear, still spinning me around.

My face bursts into a smile against his shirt and I try to return his hug, beyond ecstatic to see him. “Danny, can’t breathe.”

“Sorry,” he laughs, setting me down. “Hi! You’re surprised, right?”

“Yeah, I am!” My happiness proves too much as I laugh and hug him again. “But what’re you doing here? How’d you find me?”

“Me of course. You think he’d be able to figure it all out on his own?” a second, quiet voice asks in a teasing tone.

I peek around my brother to find Tyler standing there, hands in pockets and a big smile on his face. Squealing, I rush to jump on him. “Ty! You’re here too!”

He laughs and squeezes me, lifting me off the ground again. “Missed you too, sis.”

When my feet touch the ground, I pull back a little. “Look at you. All tan and tall. Seriously, what’d you eat in Italy? You’re supposed to be done growing. Did I shrink?”

“Nah, you’ve always been short,” Daniel teases, slinging an arm around my shoulder.

“No way. I was at least up to his shoulder last time.”

“Whatever you say, _____,” Tyler chuckles. He glances over our heads and quietly asks, “Are these them?”

I suddenly remember the guys and turn around. They’re watching us with amused smiles and curious eyes. With a guilty giggle, I gesture between the two groups, switching between Korean and English. “So, um...yeah. Guys, these are my brothers Tyler and Daniel. Tyler, Daniel, this is Yunho, Jaejoong, Junsu, Changmin, and Yoochun.”

I notice the second look over both my brothers give Yoochun, but Tyler steps forward with an easy smile.“Konnichiwa. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“It’s ours,” Yunho replies, accepting Tyler’s hand with a matching smile. “You speak Japanese too?”

“Nowhere near as good as _____, but passably I guess,” he admits. “Thanks for taking care of her while she’s been with you. It’s good to know she’s not alone.”

“She takes care of us just as much,” Yunho tells him.

Tyler chuckles. “Yeah, she does make a habit of that.”

“I’m still here, you know,” I huff, making them laugh.

“Sorry, I only speak English,” Daniel says as he grips Yunho’s hand next.

“It’s okay,” he laughs in English. “That’s what _____’s for.”

My brothers quickly greet the other members too.

I get a little worried when Daniel gets to Yoochun, but he stays friendly as Tyler and I watch on. “I’ve heard a lot about you from _____,” he says easily.

“Nothing too bad I hope,” Yoochun replies, glancing at me and grinning.

“Nah, she’s crazy about you.”

I start moving towards them in the hopes of distracting them both, but Mr.Choi chooses that lucky moment to return.“Ok, so van’s here and...who’re these two?”

“These are my brothers,” I quickly reply. “They came to see me when I’m not with you all while we’re here. I hope that’s all right.”

“Oh, yes, of course. I’m not entirely sure how much free time you’ll have, but you’re very welcome to spend it with your family,” he says, giving my brothers a quick smile.

“Will there be time after we check into the hotel?” I ask tentatively.

Mr. Choi nods. “There’s nothing else for today so everyone can adjust to the time change and be ready for the schedule tomorrow.”

“Thank you so much!” I grin and hug him quickly too.

“Hyung’s blushing!” Changmin laughs, pointing at Mr.Choi’s slightly flustered, smiling face.

He glares at Changmin and readjusts his glasses, still pink. “Right, um...Van’s this way.”

“Will you guys come pick me up after then?” I ask, hurrying to snatch up my luggage from where Daniel’s hug had made me drop it.

“Yeah,” Tyler assures me. “We’ll be right behind you. Where’re you staying?”

When I tell the two of them, Daniel’s face brightens. “That’s not too far from the house!”

Tyler holds up a hand when I open my mouth and smirks. “I’ll explain later, _____. Right now, you’re keeping someone waiting.”

I glance over my shoulder to see Yoochun standing at a respectful distance, watching me.

“Go on. I know how to get there.”

I smile, getting on tiptoes and tapping my cheek. Once Tyler obliging leans down a little so I can reach, I kiss his cheek and give Daniel the same treatment.

“Thanks, Ty, Danny. See you in a bit then.”

“Oh, ______,” Tyler says, his eyes flicking between me and Yoochun. “Tell the guys they’re welcome to come along. There’s plenty of space and a ton of food. If they’d like.”

“I’ll ask,” I promise.

Yoochun smiles at me when I run up beside him and we begin trying to catch up with the others. “You know, I don’t think I’ve seen you smile like this in months.”
I just shrug, smiling even wider. “I love my munchkin brothers. Thanks for waiting, by the way.”

“Didn’t want you getting lost,” he replies, shrugging it off with a smile.


    On our ride to the hotel, the other four guys have their faces pressed against the window, eager to take in every second of the Las Vegas sprawl. Yoochun and I lean against the seat, watching with rapt attention as well. The city lacks some its expected luster in the bright daylight, but it’s still stunning in its flamboyance. After passing through the heart of the city, we enter a more subdued area and arrive at our hotel.

I quickly handle the check in with Mr. Choi and as we step into the elevator, I remember Tyler’s offer. “Um, guys...”

They all look at me curiously.

I smile, wondering if they’ll accept. “Tyler told me to invite you all to come along with us. Apparently he’s got a house somewhere nearby. You can come too, Choi-ssi.”

“I’d love to, but unfortunately I have to meet with the studio head who’s doing the main photo shoots tonight. You all feel free to go though. Like I said, you’re free for the rest of the day,” Mr.Choi replies with an apologetic smile.

The boys share a look, the eagerness plain on Changmin and Junsu’s faces while the other three are a little more contained.

“We wouldn’t want to intrude on you and your family...” Jaejoong starts, trailing off when I put up my hand.

“You wouldn’t be intruding since Tyler invited you,” I tell him. “Please come. I want you all to get to know Ty and Danny.”

“It would be rude to turn down the invitation,” Changmin says slowly, a smile playing across his lips.

“We’ll be bored all by ourselves here,” Junsu pouts, looking at Yunho.

“What else are we going to do with _____ gone?” Yoochun adds, wrapping an arm around my shoulder and hugging me. “Besides, I’ll miss her.”

“All right, we’ll set our bags down and then we’ll go,” Yunho laughs.

I grin and hook an arm around Yoochun. “Ty said he’d pick us up so he should be waiting.”

“Don’t want to keep him too long then. Let’s go.”

    We part ways to find our rooms once we reach our floor. I don’t even bother unpacking, happy to just toss my suitcase on bed and dart out of the room again.
Speed walking down the hall, I knock on what I hope is the guys’ room. In my hurry I wasn’t really listening. “Oppadeul? Changmin?”

“Just a second,” Jaejoong calls, opening the door a few seconds later.

I poke my head, looking around the room. “They stuck all of you in one room? Really?”

“The unlucky one’ll end up with the couch,” Changmin shrugs, sitting up from one of the beds. “I already called dibs.”

“So are you all ready?” I ask, practically dancing in place.

“We’re ready, _____-ah. Let’s go,” Yoochun laughs, ruffling my hair.

    As soon as we get down to the lobby, I fly outside into the hot air, my eyes scanning the parking lot. When I see Daniel waving at me from beside a van, I wave back and start to step off the sidewalk, but someone grabs my hand.

“Way to look, _____,” Yoochun lightly scolds, keeping me against his body as the car passes. “Pabo.”

“Mianhae. I’m just excited,” I pout, tugging on his hand. “Come on.”

“That everyone?” Tyler asks when our group gets there, giving me a look when he notices I’m still holding Yoochun’s hand.

I quickly drop it. “Yeah. Where’d you get the van from?”

“Same way I got the house,” he shrugs with a smile. “The only problem is I think we’re a seat short.”

“That’s not a problem,” Yoochun answers. “____ can sit on my lap like she usually does.”

“Yoochun.” My eyes widen and I jab him in the ribs while Tyler and Daniel both give him a surprised look. “It’s not like that, you two. The van in Japan was too small too.”

Tyler starts to say something, but Daniel quickly breaks in and opens the door. “That’ll work. Let’s go! I’m starving.”

“What?” Yoochun asks innocently. “What’d I say?”

Rolling my eyes, I hurry him inside before anything else can happen, with the other four guys following. When I notice Changmin eyeing Daniel with a certain gleam in his eyes, I catch his arm and whisper, “Don’t even think about it.”

He just laughs. “No idea what you’re talking about.”

“Yeah, right,” I mutter before climbing in myself and settling on Yoochun’s lap. I catch Daniel’s eye in the rearview mirror.

The cheeky monkey grins back and asks, “Everyone comfortable?”

Oh, yeah. He’s dead. “We’re fine.”

It’s quiet as Tyler begins driving, the two sets of guys still unsure of each other.

Deciding to both break the silence and satisfy my curiosity, I clear my throat. “Okay, Ty. So what’s the deal with the house? I thought you liked freelancing.”

“I do,” he replies, glancing back at me. “This isn’t permanent. Do you remember my friend Julian? He’s vice head of a studio here and helped me find a job. The house is his, but he’s letting me stay there since he’s doing something down in Brazil for a month.”

“Oh. So what’s the job here then?”

Tyler grins and answers in Japanese. “Working on DBSK’s photo shoots.”

“Seriously?” Junsu asks excitedly. “That’s so cool!”

“How the hell did you manage that?” I ask, unable to believe it.

“You told her?” Daniel leans around to smile at me too. “Isn’t it great? Ty tried to see if there was any temp work for me too, but there wasn’t so I’ll just have to tag along one day.”

“I asked Julian to ask around, turns out it’s his mentor’s studio who’s doing it, and he got me in. You’re stuck with me,” Tyler laughs.

“It’ll be nice to work with you, Tyler-kun,”Jaejoong smiles.

“Just call me Ty since I hope we’ll be friends by the end of this.”

“All right, Ty,” Jaejoong says, trying it out and smiling. “I hope we will be too.”

    After that, the conversation is more natural flow to it as Tyler and Daniel slowly draw the others out. Well, as natural as it can be with an interesting mix of Korean, Japanese and English circling around inside the car. Leaving the city behind, we come to the outlying suburbs.

Finally, Tyler pulls the van through a gate and up into a short driveway. “Here we are. Everybody out before we fry.”

I wiggle out of Yoochun’s lap and open the door only to freeze as soon as I step out. “This is it? You’re kidding me.”

Yoochun looks out over my shoulder. “Wow.”

Built in a hacienda style, the tall house almost literally glows in the sunlight. Creeping ivy makes the facade a little homier, but detracts nothing from the majesty of it.

“You think the front’s cool, wait till you see the backyard,” Daniel beams, grabbing my arm and pulling me towards the house.

I barely get enough time to seem the warm interior as he rushes me through to two large glass doors.  

“Tada!”

A wide expanse of lush yard is interrupted only by a small pool which glistens invitingly in the sun.

Daniel steps off the small porch, kicking up a soccer ball and starting to juggle it. “What’d you guys think? Up for a game before dinner?”

“Soccer!” Junsu leaps off the step excitedly, not needing translation. “You and me.”

“Sure,” Daniel laughs, passing him the ball. “Who else wants to be on my team?”

“I’m on ____’s,” I hear Yoochun say happily seconds before he gives me a back hug. “You’re a pro, right?”

“I played for a few years in elementary school,” I offer with a shrug.

“Which means I’ll have to cover for her,” Tyler chuckles, coming to stand beside me.

“I’m on noona’s team too,” Changmin says, successfully stealing the ball from Junsu.

“Guess that means we’re with Danny and Junsu,” Yunho smiles, looking at Jaejoong. “Ready to kick some ?”

“Always,” Jaejoong laughs, giving Yunho a high five.

“We’ll see about that,” I tell them, sticking my tongue out.

“Maybe you’ll actually be able to make a goal since there aren’t any goal posts,” Daniel teasingly throws over his shoulder as he tries to get the ball back from Changmin.

“Hey! It wasn’t my fault. Stupid wind blew the ball off.”

“The wind blew the ball?” Yoochun chuckles, shifting his chin on my shoulder to look at me.

“It was a really strong wind.”

“Was not,” Daniel calls.

“Watch it, mister or these guys are going to get a blow by blow of your first school play,” I threaten, breaking away from Yoochun to grab the ball.

Daniel throws up his hands in surrender. “Arasso.”

I give him a surprised look. “I thought you forgot what I taught you.”

“Changmin reminded me,” he shrugs, smiling at the magnae.

Before I have time to worry, Junsu nips the ball out of my hands.

“Come on, let’s go,” he laughs, tossing it to Tyler, who sets it down in the grass.

Brushing aside my thoughts, I kick off my shoes and get ready to play.

=============================

Annyeong lovelies! Finally, in America! Ke ke, it was a little weird to be writing about the US when I'm not there. Do you like your/her brothers? Oh, so much fun to write! And yes, there'll be plenty of cute moments to make up for the earlier heartache. Please look forward to it and saranghae!

ChinkyKayla: Aw, thanks! ^^ Yeah, I have to agree with you. ankeaenkeli: Yeah, that's the cruddy thing about it...We shall see.

Mionyu: I got kinda sad writing it to be honest. Yes, no Jaehwa for a bit, so enjoy! You only check it for me? Chincha? *immediately glomps* That's so cute and thank you so much! I would update everyday if I had the time and creative proweress...but thank you for supporting me even without all that! parksanghwa: Incredibly hard. Yeah, hope's always hard to kill. I think he's off to a good start on those memories.^^

Champions27: I know, right? If only I could work with metal...Yup, you two are more than alright.

MewNikkiChan: No idea. You see? I have already laid the foundations for plotting and more shall come! *evil cackle* Love you too! <3

SuperSHINeeB2STJr: Ke ke, maybe so. Was this interesting? I'll try to make the others even more so if this on wasn't. Oh, no. I'm sure you'll really blow their minds next time. SuperSHINeeB2STJr hwaiting!

turtle_chan: Yeah, if most of the people in this story had their way, Jaehwa would be long gone, but she's still kinda around unfortunately. Yup yup, they'll have lots of together time now. ^^ I know, right? I feel the same way about him.I'm glad you're enjoying this.

Jun_KOI_Mi: It hurt writing it too. Be glad you haven't seen the interview. I cried a little.

yellow14: ^^

Poison: You should totally get into them! They're so talented and sweet and dorky and...yeah, I could go on forever. Even if they're not together, there are so many videos to show you just how great they are as 5. Angels are everywhere. Trust me, it stinks. As for your question, he never did. Looking back, I realize I was stupid and he was playing with me because he knew how much I liked him but kept pushing and pulling me while I endured it because I loved him. We'll see about Jaehwa and Chunnie; she's the kinda girl that digs her claws in. Thanks so much for your sweet compliments! *hugs* I'll definitely support him for all my fellow E.L.Fs and Gengfans!

WhiteAutumn_x: Did this live up to your expectations? Nah, I'm sure you're brilliant. ^^

PurpleangelSJ: I think so too. I agree, some of the best relationships spring from friendships. Gotta love Yejin. ^^ <3

hazel_marie13: Aw, thanks! I hope you continue enjoying! ^^