New Friend

The Luck of Encounters

Changmin hurries back in, carrying two large bags that he quickly puts on the table and begins unpacking. A few seconds later Junsu comes back carrying another bag, accompanied by a short, pretty young woman.

“Annyeong! I hope I brought enough. I didn’t know what she’d like so I got everything,” she says.

“I’ll eat almost everything,” I say.

She gives a little jump. “Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t see you. The gigantor was hiding you.”

“It’s not my fault you’re too short to see anything,” Yoochun retorts, stepping out of the way. “______, this is Kim Yejin. Yejin, this is _______, my friend.”

“Your friend?” Yejin asks confusedly. “I thought it was the new interpreter who was coming over.”

“______ is our interpreter,” he says, slinging an arm around my shoulder. “I just found out a few minutes ago she was actually an old friend.”

“Well, it’s even more of a pleasure to meet you,” she says with a smile, shaking my hand. “It’s good to see Yoochun smiling again.”

“Again?” I ask.

“He’s been in a bit of a slump lately.”

I look up at Yoochun. “What happened?”

He shrugs. “Nothing. I go through phases sometimes. Nothing to worry about.”

“Yejin-ah, did you buy the entire store?” Junsu asks, claiming her attention.

“Oppa, you can tell me,” I quietly tell Yoochun.

He smiles and gives me a one armed hug. “Don’t worry about it. It’s done and over with.”

“If you say so,” I say slowly.

“I do. Come on, before Changmin eats everything.” Keeping his arm around my shoulder, he guides me over to the table, or where the table was. It’s now disappeared under a sea of boxes and packages.

“I’ll share if Yejin noona tells me to,” Changmin says, already digging into a package of dumplings.

“Why do you listen to her more than you do me?” Yunho asks, opening another dumpling package.

“Because I love noona,” Changmin says, snagging Yejin with one arm, hugging her, and burying his face in her side. “She feeds me. A lot.”

The other laughs, but I catch a flicker of something in Junsu’s eyes. He reaches over and tugs Yejin out of Changmin’s grip to give her a back hug. “She was mine first.”

“I know, I know.”

“Don’t worry, oppa. I won’t neglect you,” she giggles, reaching back to pat Junsu’s cheek.

“Are you two lovebirds done?” Jaejoong asks with a raised eyebrow.

They break apart, blushing. Junsu moves to sit beside Jaejoong as Yejin opens more food and puts it in front of a very happy Changmin.

“Eh, Yoochun,” I whisper. “Are they together?”

He snorts, but quickly turns it into a cough when the others looks at him. Once their attention returns to the food, he leans down and whispers, “No. They’ve been friends since they met in university. I think Junsu likes her, but he’s never said anything. I’m not sure how Yejin feels.”

“Now you guys too?” Yunho teases.

“Yunnho, why’d you ruin the moment? I was about to make a move,” Yoochun groans, a smile playing across his lips.

“I barely know you and you’re already ruining my love life. We’re going to be great friends,” I tease Yunho right back.

He laughs. “Good. You have a sense of humor and you’re not afraid of us.”

“Why would I be afraid of you?”

“The last female interpreter they got us didn’t last a day,” Junsu explains. “She kept fainting every time Yunho smiled.”

“That’s why we got Mr.Kim,” Changmin says through a mouthful of food.

“I’ve never fainted so I don’t think that will be a problem. Besides, I can’t really do my job if I’m unconscious. Speaking of which do any of you need help with your Japanese before next week?”

“I’m fine,” Jaejoong says quietly, offering a small smile.

“He’s basically fluent,” Yunho says.

Jaejoong shrugs. “I’m far from perfect. I still need practice.”

“Well, if you’d like, you can practice with me anytime," I offer.

“Thanks, _______. I may take you up on that, but the other four need more help than I do.”

“You make it sound like our Japanese is horrible,” Yoochun protests.

“It’s not bad. Like Jaejoong said, we just need more help than him,” Yunho says.

“Show me,” I say.

    Junsu immediately begins spouting random Japanese words, making Yejin giggle uncontrollably. When we get him to slow down, he’s able to have a reasonably good conversation. Yunho, Changmin, and Yoochun also speak better than I thought they would, only stumbling every once in a while. Jaejoong is flawless.

“Sorry, but can we speak Korean again?” Yejin asks timidly after a few minutes. “My Japanese is limited to ‘konnichiwa.'”

“Mianhae, Yejin,” I quickly apologize. “I didn’t mean to isolate you. I can get carried away when it comes to languages.

She nods and smiles. “I understand. I get the same when I’m sketching.”

“Are you an artist?”

“Kind of. I do paintings on the side, but I’m a set designer by day.”

“She’s worked on some of the biggest productions in Seoul,” Junsu says proudly. “She helped with Chicago, Cats...Ow!”

“Knock it off,” she says, playfully punching him in the arm again. “It’s not good to brag.”

“That’s really impressive,” I tell her.

“Thanks. I love my work.”

“So do I,” I smile. “It’s so much fun. Ok, minus the occasional crabby person, it’s fun.”

“_______-ah,” Yoochun breaks in, bumping my elbow. “You’re supposed to be paying attention to me too. You know, the friend you haven’t seen in, I don’t know, six years?”

Yejin and I share a look before I turn to Yoochun.

“Yes, oppa? You have my full attention,” I say, leaning closer and gazing at him with wide eyes.

“Your eyes are really big,” he says, leaning even closer until our faces are a breath apart.

“You’re making me cross eyed,” I complain, pulling away and rubbing my eyes.

“I win! Staring contest champ, right here,” he laughs, throwing up his arms.

“Not fair. I didn’t know it was a contest.”

“Too bad. I already won.”

I join his laughter, amazed at how easily we’ve reconnected, like we've gone back to the day we met. It's like nothing has changed.

As if reading my mind, Yoochun finishes his victory celebration, saying “______, you still need to fill me in on what you’ve been up to since I last saw you.”

“I will, but you have to do the same.”

“Deal.”

    I start, telling him everything, from my numerous and often embarrassing mistakes in high school Korean to my college years to coming to Korea to work for Mr.Lee. The others listen, laughing along with me and asking questions. When Yoochun’s turn comes, the four other boys frequently interrupt to comment or tell their own stories. They laugh and tease each other easily, showing how close they are. I sit back and enjoy watching them, glad Yoochun found friends as good as these.

“Sorry,” Yejin suddenly says, looking up from her phone. “They’ve screwed up my supply order. I’ve got to go fix it. I’ll see you boys later. _______, it was nice meeting you. If you’d like someone to help show you around Seoul, Junsu can give you my number.”

“I’d like that,” I smile, glad to have a new friend. With work, I’d been too busy to really make many other than Ayako.

She brightly smiles back. “Awesome. Bye!” She rushes out the door.

“Bye!” Junsu yells after her.

“Is everyone done?” Yunho asks, already standing up and beginning to clean off the table.

“I’m so full,” Changmin says happily. “I think I may take a nap.”

“Oh, no you don’t,” Yunho says. “We’re working on our Japanese while ______ is here.”

“But...”

“No buts, we don’t want to disappoint our Japanese fans.”

“We still have a week and _______ said we don’t sound bad,” Junsu says.

“We should still practice,” Yunho insists. “What time do you have to leave?” he asks me.

“I don’t have any other appointments today. I have a meeting Friday, but other than that I’m at your disposal.”

“See? I have time for a nap,” Changmin yawns.

Yunho gives in when he sees Yoochun and Jaejoong yawning as well. “Fine. An hour nap and then Japanese.”

“Yay!” Changmin disappears down the hall.

“Hey! I still need help out here!”

“Let him nap. I’ll help you,” I say, revealing my soft spot for Changmin again.

“You don’t have to. Junsu, help.”

“I was,” he says, showing his already full hands.

“If I help, then you have more time to do what you want,” I say despite Yunho’s continued protests.

“Thank you, _______,” Jaejoong says, smiling.

“It’s no problem.”

Yoochun yawns loudly, looking ready to fall asleep again.

“Hey, no sleeping while I’m here,” I say, poking him in the ribs.

“All right, all right. What are we going to do?”

“I don’t know,” I shrug. “It’s your place.”

“Yoochun, why don’t you show her the music rooms? We’ll finish here. Then she can hear some of the songs we’ll be singing at the concert,” Yunho suggests.

“Good idea. This way,” Yoochun says, taking my hand and leading me away from the kitchen.

===========

Mianhae for being a bad unnie and not updating frequently, I'm kind of in a slump. I'll try to be better! Gotta go to class now, but I will respond to comments in the next chapter, promise ^^.