Be Strong

The Luck of Encounters

“_____!” Yoochun says happily, bouncing onto my bed a few days after their last concert. “Whatcha doing?”

Sighing, I flip over onto my stomach and put my book down. “I was reading, but you made me lose my place.”

“Mianhae. You know, we go back to Seoul tomorrow.”

“Uh-huh.”

He rests his chin on his folded hands and looks at me.“So...we haven’t spent a lot of time together, just you and me, and then we have a few months before we go to America so I won’t see you as much.”

I roll to my side and prop my head up with my elbow to look at him. “Don’t you want to spend your last day with Jaehwa?”

“She’s busy. Besides, I realized I’ve kind of been ignoring you. I didn’t mean to. Mianhae,” Yoochun apologizes, cuddling up to my shoulder like a cat. “Forgive me?”

“Of course I do,” I reply, hiding my smile and pushing him away. “Why are you being so cute?”

“I’m in a good mood, that’s why. Is my cute bad?”

“Aish, did I say it was bad?” Ruffling his hair, I wrap my arms around his neck and put my head on his shoulder. “What did you have in mind?”

“...I hadn’t gotten to that part,” he admits with a silly smile.

“Figures,” I laugh. “Well, let’s see...we have another two hours or so until the fan meeting, then there’s two interviews in the evening. Not much time to do anything.”

“That’s still time for something.You know what? I’m hungry so let’s go out and get something to eat.”

“Can we just make something here?” I ask. “The only casual clothes I have left are for the airport since Junsu accidentally spilled that sauce on me yesterday.”

Yoochun frowns for a few seconds before his smile flashes back across his face. Getting up, he tugs on my hand, saying, “We can fix that. Come on.”

I follow him as we go to the next floor up and walk down the hall. “Where are we going?”

“SM keeps a ton of extra clothes here for BoA sunbae and her back up dancers. I’m sure we can find something you can borrow.”

“BoA?” I stutter, stopping in my tracks. “Yoochun, I can’t borrow BoA’s clothes...that’s...”

“It won’t be BoA’s clothes. There’s a bunch of clothes they bought but didn’t end up using or used once so you can wear those. BoA sunbae is really nice so I’m sure she wouldn’t mind. No one’s going to know anyway,” he assures me with a smile.

I reluctantly let Yoochun drag me the rest of the way down the hall.

When he opens the second to last door, I feel my jaw drop. The long room is literally piled to the ceiling with containers of clothes, some of which are still in plastic wrappers.

“Hmm, what to give _____?” Yoochun says, letting go of my hand to delve into the closest box.

“Oppa, I’m not a doll,” I remind him, rolling my eyes.

He turns around long enough to give me a wink. “You are a doll. A very cute one.”

I roll my eyes again at his cheesiness, moving to look over his shoulder. My eyes widen. “I am not wearing a school girl uniform.”

“They’re not school girl uniforms. They’re navy uniforms from...something. How about the jacket at least?” Yoochun holds up a short, fitted dark blue jacket with small gold buttons.

“All right, I guess.”

    He presses the jacket in my arms and resumes his search with me trailing after him. Partly because I’m eager to get out and partly because I’m getting hungry, I quickly agree to a turquoise green top. We go back to my room where I quickly change. When I come out, Yoochun’s nowhere to be seen. I shrug and grab up my purse, figuring he’d forgotten something and gone back to his room. I open the door and almost bump into him.

“Don’t you look cute,” Yoochun smiles, looking me up and down. “And you’re wearing the necklace.

“Thanks. It’s my favorite,” I smile back, looking down to hide my blush.

“Just one last touch.”

I feel something being pulled onto my head. Reaching up, soft, knitted material meets my hand. “Where’d you get this?”

“It’s one of mine,” he shrugs, pushing a few wisps of hair behind my ear as he looks at me. “It’s kind of cold out today.”

“Thanks. Does it look good?”

“So good I might have to change my mind and have us stay in because guys will be stopping on the street to stare at you.”

“As if,” I laugh, meeting his eyes. “We’re going out and no backing out of it since you’re the one who wanted to in the first place. Come on.”

    I grab his hand and start walking out. It’s a short subway ride to the small store the two of us had found during our first stay in Japan. We both get a few nikuman to go and head back to the dorm.

“Let’s go this way,” Yoochun says, turning a different way when we get close.

Puzzled, but not minding, I follow him and am a little surprised when we get to our destination. “Oh, I remember this place.”

“You’ve been here before?” he asks, sitting down on the cool stone bench.

“Yeah. Changmin brought me here one night.” I take a quick bite of a nikuman,trying and failing not to burn my mouth, whimpering, “Hot.”

“Greedy. You need to wait a bit,” Yoochun chuckles, handing me one of the drinks to help cool my tongue.

“But they’re so good.” Once the pain subsides, I notice him watching me. “What?”

He glances away. “______,...you don’t like Changmin, do you?”

I give him a funny look. “You mean like as in like like? No...why?”

“You’re sure? You’ve been hanging out with him a lot more.”

“I’ve been hanging out with all the others more because you’ve been spending most of your free time with Jaehwa. As for Changmin, I’m completely sure. Completely platonic relationship there. It’d be like being with a brother. Gross.”

Yoochun frowns a little at my mention of Jaehwa, but his face relaxes when he sighs. “Just checking.”

“Why?”

“Nothing. Just something Changmin said.”

I make a mental note to kill Changmin later. “What about you?”

“Huh?” Yoochun looks at me, surprised at the change of subject.

I cross my legs and take another nonchalant bite of my food. “You obviously like like Jaehwa. Are you two a thing now? If you don’t mind me asking, of course.”

“I don’t mind,” he says, his earlier smile returning. “I really like her and I want us to be together, but I don’t want to put her through the long distance thing.”

I feel a pang of disappoint even though some part of me had been expecting something along this line. “Oh.”

“Do you think it could work, ______?” Yoochun asks earnestly.

“Maybe. I’ve never done anything like that before,” I shrug. “I guess if you love each other enough, things like distance doesn’t matter.”

“Have you ever loved someone that much?”

“I don’t think so,” I reply honestly. “It’d be a wonderful thing though.”

Yoochun nods, the silence following allowing both of us to sink into our own thoughts.

“Hey,” he suddenly says, shaking his head and laughing. “Aren’t we supposed to be having fun? Why are we being melancholy?”

I can’t help smiling too and give him a small shove. “You started it with the ridiculous question about me liking Changmin.”

“Right. My bad. What should we do next? We still have another hour.”

“Um, not sure. Let’s finish our snack before we decide.” I hold up one of my nikuman to his mouth since I know he’ll end up asking for a trade anyway.

Yoochun nods and takes a big mouthful of the bun, barely missing my fingers.

“Watch it,” I giggle, taking one of his from the bag in exchange.

He grins is about to say something when his phone rings. Swallowing the rest of his food, he quickly answers. “Yubseyo? Hey, Jaehwa. What’s up?”

My smile dims a little and I lower my gaze to look at my hands.

“You got off early? Lucky.” Yoochun glances at me. “Mianhae. I’d love to, but I’m spending the day with _____. Do you have any free time later? Oh, arasso. I guess I’ll call you tonight then? Talk to you then. Bye.”

I look at him curiously as he puts his phone back in his pocket. “Oppa. Why’d you do that? Didn’t you say you really liked her? You might not get to see her for a long time.”

“I do like her. Our flight is late tomorrow so I’ll find some time to see her sometime then. I want to spend today with you. I haven’t been a good friend these past few weeks, so I’m making up for it. You’re special to me too, ______,” he smiles, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

“Love you too, Yoochun,” I say tentatively, leaning into him.

“Don’t you forget it, arasso?”

“Arasso.” Maybe there’s hope after all.


A hand shoves a cup of coffee in front of my face. “Yo, sourpuss.”

I jerk back to reality and accept the drink. “Thanks.”

Ayako sighs as she sits across from me in the break room. “Come on, _____. What’s wrong? You’ve been off ever since you got back two weeks ago, but today’s really bad. You should be happy; You get to go with the guys in the U.S in a few months. In the mean time, they’re right here in the city.”

“It’s not that.”

“Then what? I mean, you and Yoochun talk every day, right? Changmin and Yunho said they thought he liked you, even if he was chasing what’s-her-face.”

“Yeah, but then what’s-her-face, who’s name is Jaehwa, came here too. Long term,” I sigh, sipping the coffee but not really tasting it.

Ayako waves that information away like it’s a bothersome fly. “A minor setback.”

I deliberate a few minutes, watching my friend look back at me with a concerned face. “Ayako, if you breathe a word of any of what I’m about to tell you, we’re both dead, got it? You have to promise to control yourself.”

“Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye,” she recites, going through the motions. “Now tell me what’s wrong.”

As I tell her, the conversation replays itself in my mind.

+++++

“_____! Something awesome happened tonight!” Yoochun says excitedly as soon as I answer the phone.

“What’s that oppa?” I ask, laughing at his childish enthusiasm. “Were you able to finally get the lyrics for your song right? I know that’s been bugging you.”

“Even better. Guess?”

“All your morning schedules for this week were cancelled so you get to sleep in.”

“I wish,” Yoochun chuckles. “Remember how I told you Jaehwa’s doing jobs in Seoul for the next couple months?”

“Yes,” I reply distractedly, trying to reach a particularly high cup in my cabinet.

“Well, we went on a date tonight and...”

“And?”

“I asked her to be my girlfriend and she said yes!”

My heart thuds to a halt while my hand tightens around the cup, turning my knuckles white.

“_____? You still there?” Yoochun asks worriedly.

“Yes. Mianhae, I just dropped something,” I say shakily. “That’s great.”

“I know, right?” he laughs. “Oh, I’m back at the dorm so I gotta go. Time to make the others jealous. I’ll talk to you tomorrow, okay? Usual time.”

“Okay.”

“Talk to you later, ____. Love you. Bye.”

“I love you too,” I say softly after he hangs up, wiping absently at a tear that somehow leaked out.

++++++

“Whats-her-face...and Yoochun...are dating?” Ayako asks, enunciating every word with a look of disbelief on her face.

I nod, still reliving the moment.

“Idiot!” Ayako shouts, slamming both of her hands onto the table and making me jump. “Pabo! Where’s something I can use to smack some sense into this boy’s head?”

“Ayako,” I hush, glad no one else is in the room.

“No, it’s not,” she splutters angrily. “Argh, it doesn’t even matter that it’s Yoochun! He’s supposed to be with you, not some witchy, toothpick model! Aish, maybe a good kick where the sun doesn’t shine would balance the hormones that have obviously taken control over the sane part of his brain.”

“Ayako! You will do no such thing!”

“I know; I wasn’t serious,” she sighs. “It’s just frustrating.”

“Maybe Changmin and Yunho were wrong; maybe he didn’t like me that way ever. I’ll be fine. I’ll find-”

“Don’t even bother saying you’ll find someone else. We both know it’s a lie because you’re not the kind of person. Just give it time, please, ______. Don’t give up.”

“Isn’t kind of pathetic though? Hanging on.”

Ayako vigorously shakes her head. “You loved him first and loved him for who he is, not because of what he is, which is what I’m betting is why what’s-her-face likes him. You totally have dibs.”

“She seems nice,” I say lamely, feeling a sick need to at least try to defend Yoochun’s choice.

Ayako’s response to that is an arched brow. “Seriously, ____? You can say that after the way she was like ‘he’s mine’ thing?”

“Just trying to be a good person,” I mumble.

“Don’t be. Okay, I am more than a little biased towards you, but still. Just hang on a little longer and her true colors will show.”

“You really are making this sound like a manga,” I chuckle, cheered up by her honesty as well as her ridiculousness.

“If there is any justice in this world, it will end like a happy one, with you and Yoochun walking into the sunset together,” she smiles. “Like I said, don’t give up. You don’t give up on love; you endure for love and make it all the stronger.”

“Did you get that from a book?”

“Nope. It just came out. Good, huh?”

“It was pretty good,” I admit.

“So, are you going to be stronger than what’s-her-face...On the other hand, you could also try to bypass the whole waiting thing and just tell him...”

“You don’t tell a guy with a girlfriend you like him,” I reply, not even bothering to remind her Jaehwa has a name. “I’ll stay by him no matter what. I’m too stubborn for my own good as he likes to remind me anyway.”

“That’s the hard-headed _____ I know and love,” Ayako smiles, patting my head.

I push her hand off and laugh. “What is it with people and patting my head? The guys do it all the time too.”

“It’s because you’re so cute. Do you get to see them soon?”

“Actually, Yoochun wants me to come over next week. He said something about owing me. I have no idea what that means though.”

“Sounds promising,” Ayako shrugs. “Now, are you going to keep moping or are you going to show me that bright smile of yours?”

“No moping,” I promise, giving her what she wants.

“There we go! Keep smiling like that around Yoochun and what’s-her-face will be history. Of course, I could maybe arrange for her to get a new pair of concrete shoes on her next shoot that’s conveniently located next to a lake...”

“When did you become so violent?” I laugh. “And no, you can’t.”

“______,” she whines.

“No.”

“Please.”

“No.”

“Fine. Don’t let me have fun.”

====================

Annyoung lovelies! Mianhae for this chapter being a day late; I had serious writer's block with this update. Luckily, I've figured out the next few, so they should be on time. And now for an interesting bit I wanted to share because you all are the few people I know who will understand. So it turns out there's a small Korean grocery store on my university's campus and I went there to get rice cakes to make tteokguk. Anyway, no sooner do I walk in do I see a display of ramen with B2ST on it. Totally made my day even better. Ke ke. How do you like my poster? Isn't it pretty? ^^ Saranghae and enjoy!

ankeaenkeli: It's a possibility. I'm not sure about Yunho, but I think Changmin will definitely be up to the idea. We'll see who figures it out next.

MewNikkiChan: A sudden inspiration. If they exist, I must buy them immediately! Haru's totally one of my favorites too! Momiji, Kyo and Hatori are my others. ^^ Almighty Changmin indeed. Yunho and Teukie are definitely two of the best leaders out there.

YGFamilymember: I'm so sorry, sweetie. Like I said, writer's block had me stuck. Please forgive me, my number 1 fan...*pulls puppy eyes*

Jun_KOI_Min: Changmin rules. Yoochun's...being blind.

nar12345: ke ke, indeed. It does hurt, but at least she's being smart and talking about it with her friends. Ke ke, if you/her needs any kicking, I think Ayako would be more than willing to help out.

PurpleangelSJ: Very true. I think they are proud of him, even if he tease the hell out of them. ke ke. Saranghae.^^

Champions27: Yes, ma'am. The next will be on time hopefully.

ChinkyKayla: Ke ke, that's what he specializes in after all. Ayako may beat you to the punch, literally.

SuperSHINeeB2STJr: Let's just say yes, Changmin will be helping the two get together because he is the Almighty Changmin who practices Xiahism, ke ke. They all look gorgeous in that video, like I can replay for hours and not get tired of watching.

EhaaKevin: Yoochun's just a little, even if he's not sure why since he 'likes' Jaehwa.

WhiteAutumn_x: Indeed he is. I'm trying to update on the same day, but this week is a little late (^^;)