Awkward

The Luck of Encounters

“Good morning, ______. I’m sorry to bother you so early, but I need to ask a favor of you,” Mr. Choi says when he calls the morning we’re set to go back to Japan.

“It’s all right, Choi-ssi. I’ve been up,” I reply, glancing at the clock, which already reads a little past five am. “What can I do for you?”

“There was a mix up with our flight so I have to go a little ahead of everyone. Could you go to the dorm to make sure they get out on time? I know they’re grown men and all, but you know how they can be in the morning.”

“I do,” I giggle. “We have to be at the airport by seven, right?”

“Right. The van will be there on time to pick you all up. Thank you so much, ______. I’ll meet you by the drop off, arasso?”

“Arasso. See you later, Choi-ssi.”

“Bye.”

    As soon as I hang up, I put the last of my things in my suitcase and zip it up. Around that same time, my oven timer dings. I smile at the wonderful timing, hurrying to put my surprise for the boys in a small container before walking out the door. The ride to the dorm is short and thankfully Mr.Choi left a key in the building’s lobby for me in case no one was awake yet.

“Hello?” I call out cautiously as I carefully walk into their apartment.

Only silence greets me.

    I laugh quietly to myself and go ahead into the kitchen, taking my treats out, putting them on a baking sheet, and turn the oven on just enough to warm them up. I tiptoe towards their bedroom, cracking the door open enough to peep inside. They’re all still fast asleep, curled under their blankets. I go to Yunho’s side since he’s the closest.

“Yunho oppa,” I croon softly, gently rubbing his shoulder. “It’s time to get up, oppa.”

He rolls over.

“Oppa.”

“Not now, Jihye. I’m practicing,” Yunho sleepily mumbles.

“______ noona?”

I look over to see Changmin sitting up, his hair sticking out at odd angles. “Good morning, Changmin-ah,” I smile, crossing over to him.

“What’s going on?” he asks, rubbing his eyes.

“Choi-ssi had to go fix something about our flight so he sent me to get you all up and out.”

“Oh. What’s that smell?”

“Cinnamon rolls. I made them this morning for you guys even though they’re probably not the healthiest breakfast.”

Changmin becomes fully awake at this and bounds out of bed to sweep me up in a big hug. “You’re the best, noona!”

I laugh quietly, returning his hug. “Your welcome. Can you help me wake everyone else up so you all can have them?”

“You mean I have to share?” he pouts.

“Yes. Come on.” I walk over to Jaejoong, hoping to have better luck with him. “Jaejoong oppa, it’s time to get up.”

“Yah, Junsu, get up,” I hear Changmin say from behind me. “Noona made us breakfast so you better get up if you want any.”

Jaejoong frowns before blinking open his eyes. “_______?”

“Good morning, oppa. We have to leave in a bit, but I brought breakfast with me.”

He smiles at me. “Thanks, ______. I’m getting up. I’m guessing you had trouble with Yunho?”

“Just a little,” I admit.

“I’ll get him if you get Yoochun,” he says as he stretches under the blankets like a cat.

“Okay.” I walk back across the room, giving a still waking up Junsu a quick smile before turning my attention to Yoochun. I push the hair from his forehead, taking the opportunity to admire his face before quietly singing, “Oppa, rise and shine.”

Yoochun doesn’t even move.

“Yoochun oppa. Min’s going to eat all my yummy cinnamon buns if you don’t get up.”

Still nothing.

I glance around glance around to make sure no one’s looking before bending down closer and placing a gentle kiss on his cheek. “Oppa, you’ve got to wake up.”

Yoochun suddenly throws an arm around my neck, cuddling me awkwardly against his chest.

I freeze when I realize he isn’t wearing a shirt, unsure of what to do. “Um, oppa...”

Yoochun slowly opens his eyes, smiles, and closes them. He opens them again, the smile in his eyes fading into confusion before widening in surprise. He quickly lets me go and pulls the covers up. “_______. You’re here.”


“Ch-Choi-ssi had to go to the airport early so he sent me to get you all,” I say quickly, feeling my face redden. I slowly back out of the room.“I’m going to make sure Changmin hasn’t eaten all the cinnamon rolls.”

“Okay,” he says quietly.

I take that as my chance to almost run back into the kitchen, where the others are already digging into breakfast.

“These are really good, noona,” Changmin says with a smile when he sees me. “Thank you.”

“Yeah, thanks noona,” Junsu beams.

“No problem.”

“I think you’re going to make us fat,” Yunho jokes as he takes another bite. “Not that I mind.”

“Like you won’t dance it off,” I say, ruffling his hair.

“You’re probably right,” he laughs. “Even though we only have two concerts this time.”

“Really? What are we’re doing the rest of the time then?”

“It’s mostly CFs, shows, and photo shoots,” Jaejoong answers, his fingers. “Yah, Yoochun, you almost missed this sweet goodness.”

“Why do you think I’m up?” Yoochun smiles, snagging a pastry and sitting beside me.

“Hey, ______ noona told me to share, so I’ll share,” Changmin protests.

“Yeah right.” Turning to me and lowering his voice, he says, “Sorry about earlier. I thought I was still dreaming. I didn’t mean to do that.”

“What did you do to _______?” Yunho asks suspiciously, hearing Yoochun.

“Nothing,” I blurt out.

“I kind of accidentally grabbed her when I was still asleep and almost pulled her into the bed,” Yoochun admits.

“Yah, Yoochun!” Jaejoong says, slipping an arm around my waist and pulling me closer. “I know she’s your friend, but don’t corrupt ______!”

“Yeah, Yoochun,” Junsu adds.

“I wasn’t! It was an accident! If anyone’s going to corrupt her it’s Changmin. He’s the one with his special videos!”

Changmin’s eyes widen. “Like I’d let noona see those!”

Although I’m not sure what they’re talking about, I can’t help laughing, making them all look at me with confused faces. It feels so good to hear them arguing like this, to be with them again.


“Junsu, come on, we’re here,” Yoochun says as we pull up to location the next afternoon. “You can call her afterward.”

Junsu waves him off. “I love you too, jagiya. Are you sure you can’t come to Japan again? I’ll get you the ticket and everything.”

“Junsu.”

“One more second. Okay, arasso, you have work. I miss you so much. Gotta go, Yunho hyung’s giving me the look. I love you, my Yejin-ah,” he says one more time, smiling as he hangs up the phone.

 “You just saw her the other day,” Changmin points out as we begin walking into the building.

“But I barely got any time with her,” Junsu pouts.

“You have all the time in the world with her now,” Yunho says with a smile, slinging an arm around Junsu’s shoulder.

“What is this place anyway?” I ask as we walk through the doors into a generously sized lobby with its own bonsai tree garden in the center.

“It’s a new fashion chain, Atarimae. We’re doing a cover shoot for their spring line,” Yoochun explains.

“I think you guys will particularly like this shoot,” Mr. Choi says, leading us through a maze of hallways into a dressing room.

We all look at him curiously.

“Why’s that, hyung?” Jaejoong asks, sitting down in the nearest chair. “We’ve already seen the clothes and they look good, but nothing incredibly special.”

“Because.” Mr. Choi pauses for effect. “You’ll be working with a female model.”

All the guys except Junsu instantly perk up. I just roll my eyes with a smile.

“Seriously?” Yunho asks excitedly. “Who?”

Mt. Choi shrugs. “No idea. Some new, upcoming model.”

Yoochun leans forward. “Have you seen her?”

“No. I can’t even remember her name unfortunately, but the company’s used her before so she must be good. You’ll have to wait a bit though. They want to take some individual and group shots with just you all first.”

Changmin sits back in his chair as he pulls out a book. “What’s the theme?”

“Outdoor picnic, but Changmin, this time please ask if you can eat the food before you actually do,” Mr. Choi says with a small grin.

“No idea what you’re talking about,” Changmin replies, ignoring our laughter.


“When do you think she’ll get here?” Yunho asks, resting after the set of group shots are done and the crew is rearranging parts of the set.

“It’s gotta be soon,” Jaejoong says, sitting beside Yunho and resting his head on his shoulder. “We’ve been at this for hours already.”

“Are you all really that excited about working with a girl?” I ask, handing them water bottles.

“Yes,” everyone except Junsu says after a few seconds thought.

“Doesn’t matter to me anymore.” Junsu shrugs before doing a little dance in his seat and singing softly, “Cause I got a girlfriend and she’s the prettiest girl in the world.”

“Aw, you’re so adorable,” I laugh, hugging him with one arm.

Yoochun lets out a low whistle. “Guys, I think I see our model.”

    We all turn to follow Yoochun’s gaze. A beautiful young woman is standing in the doorway of the studio talking to one of the photographers. Her chestnut hair falls loosely around her shoulders, framing her thin face and pouty mouth. She’s dressed in an elegantly casual white summer dress that hugs her slender body and makes her legs look a mile long.

“Yah, close your mouth. You're drooling,” I whisper, poking Yoochun in the ribs.

The model glances over at the guys, smiles, and excuses herself to glide over. The guys jump up to greet her.

“Hello,” she says in Korean when she gets close enough, smiling. She bows before saying, “It’s an honor to be working with Dong Bang Shin Ki. I’m Goo Jaehwa. Please take care of me.”

“It’s our pleasure,” Yunho replies, returning her bow and shaking her hand. “I’m-”

“Yunho. I know,” Jaehwa laughs before turning to the others. “And you’re Jaejoong, Changmin, Junsu, and Yoochun.”

“Nice to meet you,” Yoochun says with a dashing smile, gently shaking her hand. “But what’s a lovely Korean girl like yourself doing in Japan?”

“I lived in Seoul until I was fifteen and then moved to Tokyo with my parents.”

“Seoul lost quite a flower then.”

Feeling a little awkward and sick, I get off my chair, intending to go find Mr. Choi.

Jaehwa notices my movement and looks at me, slightly wrinkling her nose, asks. “And who are you?”

I tentatively come out from behind the guys. “DBSK’s interpreter, ______.”

“Oh. Well, since I’m Korean, I don’t think we’ll be needing your services. You can go,” she replies, giving her hand a little wave.

“I have to stay with them,” I reply, nonetheless taking a step back at her tone. “The staff are all Japanese.”

I feel an arm fall around my shoulder. Yunho smiles down at me before looking back at Jaehwa. “______ stays. She’s not only our interpreter. She’s our friend.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to sound dismissive,” Jaehwa says with an apologetic smile. “I just thought she’s probably been working hard and could use a break.”

“I’m fine,” I say quietly. “Thank you though.”

She smiles at me briefly before returning her attention to the guys. “So, who am I working with first?”

“I think it’s me,” Jaejoong says with a gentle smile. “I think they’re almost ready. Would you like to go over?”

“Sure, Jaejoong-ssi.” Jaehwa hooks her arm with Jaejoong and walks away with him.

Yoochun whistles again when the two are out of earshot. “Wow.”

“She’s pretty,” Junsu says. “Not as pretty as Yejin though.”

“You're so gone, lover boy,” Changmin laughs. “I think she’s cute, but not my type. What’d you think, Yunho hyung?”

“Definitely pretty,” he says. “I can’t remember the last time we got to work with a girl.”

“You all are ridiculous,” I say, sitting back down and crossing my arms.

“Aw, is someone jealous?” Yunho teases, poking my cheek. “You’re just as pretty, ________.”

“Then why doesn’t he look at me like that?” I mumble, glancing at Yoochun, who’s still looking after Jaehwa.

“What was that?”

I shake my head. “Nothing. I just said I didn’t believe you.”

“Of course you are, noona,” Junsu says, hugging me. “You’re beautiful.”

I have to smile at his sweetness. “Thanks, Junsu-ah. Just don’t let Yejin hear you.”

“So you believe him and not me?” Yunho asks incredulously.

“I’m just teasing you, oppa,” I laugh, patting his cheek.

“Excuse me,” an assistant says, coming up to our group. “Could you all come with me? We have to change clothes for the next series of shots.”

“Wardrobe change guys,” I tell them. “Just follow him.”

    They slowly get up, allowing the assistant to lead them away. I remain where I am, turning my gaze to Jaejoong and Jaehwa’s set. A tree acts as the set’s focal piece, with Jaejoong and Jaehwa leaning against opposite sides. When the photographer calls for a brief break to change the lighting, Jaehwa swings around to Jaejoong’s side. Even without being able to hear them, I can tell she’s flirting with him. She continues doing so through out their shoot until she has to go change. Changmin, Yunho and Junsu come back and take their turns with her and I watch the whole process over and over again. I frown as I watch her flirt with each of them.

“Yah, _____, what’s with the face?” Yoochun’s voice asks, making me turn around.

“Nothing. Just watching,” I reply, studying him. “You look good.”

“You think so?” he asks, plucking at his suspenders. His tan pants go nicely with the loose white shirt that somehow manages to still show off his chest.

I swallow. “You do.”

“Yoochun-ssi. You’re next,” Jaehwa says.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I mutter as she comes into view wearing a bright blue dress and a cute red apron.

“I believe so,” he says, offering his arm and walking away with her.

I want to look away as I watch the two of them, but I can’t. A dark feeling grows in my chest even though I try to push it down and I can’t help a relieved sigh when it all finally comes to an end.

“It was wonderful working with you. I hope we get to see other again soon,” Jaehwa smiles as she says goodbye and walks away.

“What’re you smiling about?” Changmin asks suspiciously when Yoochun’s still smiling as we get into the van.

“Because,” Yoochun answers, holding up a piece of paper. “I got her number.”

===================

Annyoung lovely readers! So... yeah *giggles guiltily*...please don't hate me and or stop reading because of the plot twist. This story still has a long run ahead of it, so keep reading, please. I'm in England now and adjusting to life here. School's a little strange since I only have seminars until October when uni actually starts, but despite the ton of reading I have to do, I'll keep writing. Saranghae!

ChinkyKayla:That they do! It may take him a bit longer to do so now...

Jun_KOI_Min: Mianhae, it'll be a bit.

MewNikkiChan: Ke ke, it took me awhile to figure out what he was too. Love you too dongsaeng-ah!

Mionyu: Aw, thank you! I certainly hope you keep reading till the end! ^^

Champions27: Truly. I know, right? I had so much fun writing that part.

KeiraYukiLee:It's normal to me too. It's nice, isn't it? I guess it just depends on where you're from and the social environment. I'm glad you like it. ^^

SuperSHINeeB2stJr: Ke ke, I thought so too. It's something my friends would do. It may be a wait, but it'll be worth it. You won't leave the story, right? *big puppy eyes*

nar12345: How could you get bored with Yoochun oppa? She/You love him and besides, she/you have the others to entertain her/you.

PurpleangelSJ: I have, but he was already dating someone. =(  *blushes and hugs you back* I'm SO glad you liked it. Of course I wrote you as beautiful. You are! ^^