Let the Scheming Begin

The Luck of Encounters

“What?” Ye Jin stammers, her eyes widening slightly. “Why...why do you ask?”

I look away under the pretense of examining noodle choices, but not before taking note of the red in her cheeks and the heightened pitch of her voice. “Just a hunch. It seems that way from the way you looked when you were talking about him and the way you watched him when we were all at the dorm.”

“Was I that obvious?” She covers her face with her hands, peeking out at me from between her fingers.

“No, no,” I rush to assure her, laying a hand on her shoulder. “Yoochun didn’t know how you felt when I asked him if you and Junsu were together and I bet Junsu would’ve told him if he thought you liked him.”

With a sigh of relief, she gives a little chuckle and slowly lowers her hands. “Yoosu. That means you’re probably right.”
“So you do like Junsu.”

Ye Jin hesitates before nodding. “I haven’t told anyone.”

“Then why tell me?”

“Because you asked and I hate lying,” she shrugs. With a shy smile, she adds, “And I like you. I’m an only child so I’ve always wanted a sister to giggle and talk with.”

“I like you too, Ye Jin.” I smile back, touched at her display of trust. Wary of losing that trust, I tentatively ask, “Do you love him?”
She nods. “I’m pretty sure. At first I thought the reason my heart jumped when I saw him was because I hadn’t seen him in a while, but it happens every time I see him now. I don’t even know when or why it happened.”

“You rarely do,” I reply. “Are you planning on telling him at some point?”


“I don’t know. He’s a member of Dong Bang Shin Ki, way out of my league. Plus, what happens if he doesn’t feel the same way? I could lose one of my best friends. Besides that...,” she sighs. “Sometimes I think Junsu forgets I’m even a girl.”

“That’s unlikely,” I mumble under my breath.
“What was that?”

“Sorry. I just said I know how you feel.”

“You like Yoochun oppa?”

I freeze, mentally slapping myself for the slip.

Ye Jin moves in front of me to search my eyes. “You do.”

“Maybe a little,” I concede slowly.

“So we’re in the same boat.”

“You have a better chance than me. I think Junsu may like you too.”

Ye Jin’s protest over my first words dies in at the last sentence, a mix of hope and fear coming into her eyes. “Really? Why?”

“Just another hunch. I might be wrong since I’m not really close to him, but...,” I shrug. “Does that change your mind about telling him?”

“Maybe. I’ll have to think about it.”

“By the way, your being here has nothing to do with the fact that the guys have concerts next week, right?”

Ye Jin gives me an embarrassed smile. “I timed it so I’d be able to go to the first one to support Junsu, even if he doesn’t know I’m there. I bought my ticket months ago after I convinced my boss to let me go to the workshops.”

“Nice. But if you came all this way to see him in concert, why not come back with me to see him in person?”


“I thought it’d be too suspicious. Would a regular friend travel to another country just to go his concert when they could stay in Korea and go to one there?”

“Probably not,” I admit. “But you’re here for work, right? He’d be hurt if he found out you’d been here and didn’t try to see him.”

“That is true.”

“Please come. I’ll let you taste test,” I bribe.
“All right, after my meeting, but you can’t tell Junsu about...me liking him.”

“Deal.” I stick out my hand, which Ye Jin shakes with a giggle. “And nothing said to Yoochun either.”

She nods again, hurrying to help me check out.


“_______, you here?” Yoochun’s voice calls hours later, long after sunset.

“In the kitchen,” I answer, not moving from my position in front of the stove.

“It smells really good, noona. Is it almost ready?” Changmin’s voice precedes him seconds before he appears in the kitchen doorway. “Ye Jin noona?”

“Did you say Ye Jin?” Junsu hurries in behind Changmin, an enormous smile lighting his face when he sees her perched on the counter beside me. With an excited laugh, he rushes to grab her up in a hug and whirl her around. “What’re you doing here?” he asks when he sets her down.

Ye Jin’s eyes briefly flick to me before answering. “Work stuff. Unnie found me when I was trying to find my hotel again. I had to go to a meeting, but she told me how to find the dorm so here I am.”

I smile and bring the spoon out of the pot, blowing on it. “Who wants to try?”

Changmin almost runs over, bending down a little so I can put the spoon in partially in his mouth. “Yummy,” he says, his lips.

“Me too.” Yoochun nudges Changmin out of the way.

“I got our answer,” I whisper as I give him a taste too.

“Really?” His gaze shifts to where Junsu and Ye Jin are talking animatedly. “That was quick. What’d she say?”

“Later. Don’t say anything to Junsu.”

“Can I tell the others?”

“Yes, but subtly.”

“I’m the king of subtle.” He laughs when I give him a strange look and ruffles my hair before walking away.
“What was that about?” Changmin asks, coming back beside me to try to snag a meatball but only succeeding in burning his fingers.

I quickly hand him a fork. “Careful. I just turned the heat off on those. And don’t use your fingers. Use this.”

“Thanks. You still didn’t answer me.”

“Do you need help with anything?” Yunho asks, poking his head into the kitchen.

“Um...you could bring in the salad and spaghetti. I just need to put the meatballs on a plate and the sauce in a bowl,” I answer, gesturing behind me as I try to locate the dishes I need.

Changmin opens a cabinet just out of my reach and hands them to me. “Noona?”

“Yes? Oh, right. Your question. I got Ye Jin’s answer.”

“Ahead of schedule. Good job,” he smiles.

“Not really. Just luck.”

“Can we eat now, _______ unnie?” Ye Jin comes back into the kitchen, closely followed by Junsu.

“Coming.” Turning to Changmin, I add, “I’ll tell you after she leaves.”

    As I watch my evening’s work being devoured, I’m relieved I had tripled the recipes. Even Ye Jin has a helping even though she had dinner earlier. I watch her and Junsu out of the corner. Ye Jin’s smile is warmer, her movements more hesitant, and despite her efforts, her gaze lingers on him more. Junsu doesn’t seem to notice, too caught up in his happiness at her unexpected presence and chattering away.

    I notice the others observing them too, secret smiles in their eyes. After helping clean up, Ye Jin leaves with directions to her hotel I wrote for her in Korean, citing her need to get up early. Junsu offers to walk her back, but she politely declines. Immediately after the door closes behind her, Yoochun pulls me over to the couch.

“So what’d she say? She said yes, didn’t she?” he asks, plunking himself down beside me.

“What are you talking about?” Junsu looks between us, confused. “Did Ye Jin say yes to what?”

“I think you can guess,” I reply, a wide, self-satisfied smile on my face.

Junsu’s face remains puzzled for a few moments as he tries to figure it out, giving the other three enough time to join us. I can tell the instant he makes the connection as he expression goes from confused to disbelieving to elated. “Ye Jin...likes me too?”

“Make one of the others ask me.”

“What? Why can’t you tell me?”

“I promised I wouldn’t tell you, but if you happen to be in the room when I tell one of the others...” I shrug.

“Hyung,” Junsu turns to Yunho. “Ask. Please!”

“I don’t know,” Yoochun says, scratching his chin in mock seriousness. “I don’t think Junsu is truly ready.”

“Yoochun!”

“Me neither.” Jaejoong uses his hand to unsuccessfully cover his mischievous smile.

“Jaejoong hyung!”

Yunho shakes his head and puts an end to the picking-on-Junsu session. “Does Ye Jin like Junsu?”

I simply nod my head, my smile growing in response to Junsu’s.

Junsu closes his eyes and throws up his arms with a loud whoop. He begins literally bouncing around the room, alternatively shouting “She likes me!” and laughing. Even when Yunho manages to get him to calm down his smile is so big it looks ready to break his face.

“Junsu hyung, you really should show more emotion. People would think you didn’t care,” Changmin comments, a smile playing at his lips despite his words.


Junsu laughs again, hugging him even as he squirms to get away.

When Changmin manages to get Junsu at an arm’s length, he says, “Go hug someone else. Go hug _______ noona.”

Junsu flies over to my other side, throwing his arms around me. “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you! I love you, _______!”

I giggle, patting his head and returning his hug with my free arm. “Same here, Junsu, but you’re kind of crushing me.”

He quickly releases me with an apologetic smile. “Sorry. I just can’t believe it. Ye Jin likes me back! Why didn’t you tell me while she was here? I could’ve told her. I should go tell her right now!”

“Hold it, Romeo,” Jaejoong laughs, catching hold of Junsu’s arm as he starts to bolt for the door and pushing him back onto the couch. “It’s good we don’t have to worry about you taking forever to make a move, but you can’t do that.”

“Why not?” Junsu asks, frowning. “I like her. She likes me. Why should I wait?”

“Because Ye Jin deserves a romantic confession,” I reply. “I didn’t tell you before because first of all, she asked me not to, and second, asking a girl to be your girlfriend in front of your friends is not the best way to get her to say ‘yes.’ You should wait because she said she thinks you sometimes forgets she a girl so that makes romance even more necessary. She needs to be swept off her feet.”

“How could I forget she’s a girl? She’s Ye Jin.”

“Do you flirt with her like you do other girls? Tell her she’s pretty?”

“No,” he says slowly. “Doesn’t she know she’s beautiful?”

“She doesn’t know you think she is,” Yoochun points out. “______’s right. You’ve got to make it clear to Ye Jin that you’re not just asking her out on a whim.”

“You’ve got to make her know how much she means to you, how much you love her,” Changmin adds.

“But it can’t be over the top,” Yunho says. “That’s not Ye Jin’s style.”

“And it might scare her off,” Jaejoong remarks.

Junsu shoves a hand through his hair, making it a mess. “Then how do I do this? When do I do this?”

Smoothing his hair back into place, I reply, “That’s what we’re here for. To help you plan it. As for the when...I’m not sure. Definitely when you’re both back in Seoul.”

“But that’s not for almost another month!”

“You’ve waited longer than that, haven’t you?” Yunho gives Junsu an encouraging smile. “You can wait a little longer, right?”

“I guess,” Junsu sighs. “I just hate waiting.”

“Is it a good idea to do it when we go back to Seoul since we’ll just be coming right back here after a few weeks?” Changmin asks.

“I definitely can’t wait that long!”

“There’d still time for them to spend together,” Jaejoong says. “Besides, we won’t be here as long as this time. I think we’ll be here for two weeks, tops.”

“What about on Valentine’s Day?” Yoochun smiles. “That should be romantic enough, right?”

“But isn’t it supposed to be the girl who does something on Valentine’s Day here?” I ask.

“So? I think we can bend the rules a bit. We’ll be in Seoul, Junsu won’t have to wait very long, and it partially fills the romance quota.”

“That could work.”

“What about where?” Junsu asks. “It’s not like I can take her out somewhere.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Yunho assures him. “It’s better to do it in private anyway.”

“How about the dorm’s roof?” Jaejoong suggests. “No one really goes up there, but the view would be fantastic, especially in the late evening or night. I bet we

could make it look nice.”

“A romantic rooftop confession. But how does one transform a rooftop?” Yoochun asks.

“Flowers are a good start,” I instantly reply, my mind already swirling with ideas. “Roses are classy. Do you know her favorite flower?”


“Daises,” Junsu answers after a little thought. “She likes daises.”

“We can mix them. What about fairy lights? It would look really pretty against the sky.”

“I think we have some from our Christmas tree last year.” Jaejoong closes his eyes in thought. “Music to set the mood would be a nice touch.”

“If he has music, what about dancing? Girls like dancing, right?” Yunho looks to me.

“I only know how to do our kind of dancing though,” Junsu says. “Not the slow stuff.”

“I can teach you,” I offer. “I know some basics. They’re really easy and a guaranteed heart melter.”

“You should sing to her too. She loves listening to your voice,” Yoochun suggests.

Changmin leans forward. “What about food? Something sweet would go well with the occasion, like some kind of fruit. Strawberries or cherries or raspberries or melon or--”

“You just ate,” Yunho reminds him. “How can you be hungry?”

“I’m thinking of Ye Jin, not me.”

“Wow. This is a lot more complicated than I thought,” Junsu comments.

“Not really. It’s still a simple matter of telling Ye Jin you like her,” Jaejoong says. “The stuff we’re telling you is just extra to make sure it’s a night she never forgets.”

“I almost wish I was Ye Jin,” I sigh happily. “It’s going to be amazing by the time we’re done with everything.”

Yoochun nudges me. “Planning to steal Junsu for yourself?”

“As if I’d do that to Ye Jin. I’d just love to be a fly on the wall when this happens.”

“Who says we won’t be watching?”

“Yah! You will not!” Junsu reaches around me to playfully shove Yoochun.

He laughs. “Just kidding...or maybe not. So, how do we get Ye Jin to the dorm without suspecting anything?”

“Couldn’t I just call and ask her to come over?” Junsu asks.

Jaejoong dismisses his suggestion. “Not as fun. Plus, why would she come over at night?”

“To watch a soccer match?”

Changmin shakes his head. “No wonder she thinks you don’t remember she’s a girl.”

“I could take her out for a girls’ day and bring her by the dorm on the pretext of having to drop something off for one of you,” I say.

“And we won’t answer the door. You call me, I tell you we’re on the roof, you take her up, and then we let Junsu work his magic,” Yoochun finishes.

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Yunho says, looking to Junsu, who nods eagerly. “We can start working on details when we get back to Seoul.”

“This is really happening, isn’t it?” Junsu smiles. “I still can’t believe it.”

“We can pinch you to make sure it’s not a dream,” Yoochun says, already moving.

Junsu jumps away with a laugh, only to be grabbed by Yunho. Jaejoong and Yoochun join in the impromptu wrestling match, making me tuck my feet under me to avoid them.

Changmin sighs and looks at me with a smile. “I apologize for them. You’d never believe they’re older.”

==================

Annyoung lovelies! Sorry for the late update; lots of work for this girl. Enjoy the update! Saranghae!

MewNikiChan: I promise, Changmin and his will always be. To be honest, I never really thought love squares were that realistic, especially with these guys. Because they're so close, if one of them had a girl, I don't think the others would even consider her. However, I do think Jaejoong and Changmin are on their way to get closer to the reader, caring more for her, but not to that point. Then again, who knows what will happen? I promise there will be more Chunnie, but the whole YeJin and Junsu thing will bring them closer, see? Love you dongsaeng! And I will read your story soon! Unnie promises.

Jun_KOI_Mi: Yes, it was a big moment. I think him and the reader will get closer, but who knows how close? I think Jae sees her more as a little sister.

nar12345: Danny is quite a character. Junsu's time is coming.

ChinkyKayla: Well, the reader is curious and it is for that cutie Junsu. I think you'll be satisfied with Ye Jin's answer. ^^

PurpleangelSJ: Yes you are. ^^ Hope you like this update. Love you too.

angelisabel: I think Junsu might have fallen off his chair. ke ke. More cute Chunnie moments on the way lovely.