Life isn't a Manga

The Luck of Encounters

“What were they like? Tell me, tell me, tell me!” Ayako shouts when she answers my call.

“Sheesh, hello to you too,” I pretend to grumble, grappling to turn on the light switch, hold my phone in place, and get my key out of the door.

“Tell me!” she repeats.

“They were really nice. Complete goofballs.”

“Aw, so cute. What was Jaejoong like?”

“He was quiet at first, but he warmed up relatively quickly after he found out I was Yoochun’s friend. His Japanese is almost as good as mine.”

“Awesome. We won’t have any problems communicating when we’re married then,” she sighs happily.

“Married?”

“Yes. He’s going to fall madly in love with me and let me have his babies. He just doesn’t know it yet.”

“And how exactly are you going to make that happen?” I ask sarcastically.

“It’ll happen. In my dreams.”

“Gotcha.”

“Oh, I totally forgot the most important thing! Yoochun, did he recognize you?”

I smile but let her squirm for a bit more.

“He didn’t? I’m so sorry. Maybe you should just tell him or bring him that book or...”

“He did recognize me,” I laugh, cutting her off.

“That was mean, ________,” Ayako pouts.

“I know, I know. I’m very sorry.”

“So,...how’d he react?”

“He got really excited and was so happy. It was like the six years in between never happened. It was so easy to talk to him; we laughed, we talked, we teased each other, just like then.”

“This is beyond cool. It’s like you’re living a manga. Childhood friends separated for years, the boy becoming a famous superstar and the girl a worker. By some miracle they meet and then...you know what happens, right?”

“No...”

“After many struggles and people trying to tear them apart, they fall in love!” she sings.

I laugh, almost spewing the water I’d just sipped. “You’ve been reading too many mangas, my friend. Yoochun and I were barely friends before and we didn’t spontaneously fall madly in love with each other upon sight.”

“Shhhh, you’re ruining my moment.”

“All right, live in your fantasy world.”

“Why are so sure you two won’t fall in love?”

“We just won’t. This is business, remember? I’m not his type either.”

“Huh? How do you know his type?”

“I don’t. I just remembering him telling me that day and me not fitting it.”

“Okay, listen. Number one: Ideals and people change you know. Number two: Love doesn’t have to be spontaneous. Number three: Falling in love has nothing to do with business. You fall in love, you fall in love.”

“All right, all right,” I give in. “We’ll see what happens.”

“Good girl. Listen to your unnie. Now, one more question before you go to sleep.”

“Yes, unnie?”

“Did Jaejoong happen to mention his type?”

“You’re ridiculous. No, he didn’t.”

“I am not. Oh well. See you tomorrow then.”

“See you.”

    The next day passes quickly since most of my projects have been given to others so I can focus on DBSK. Ayako pops in whenever she can, asking me minute details about them. Instead of getting annoyed, I’m amused and use the opportunity to learn just as much about the boys from her brain’s extensive DBSK database. By the end of the day I know, among many other things, Junsu’s favorite colors, when Jaejoong got his first kiss, Yunho’s blood type, and Yoochun’s love of Mickey Mouse when he was younger. It’s really unbelievable how much she knows.

    I follow through with my promise to Yoochun that night, buying a copy of every DBSK album I can find. I stay up half the night listening to them. The voices of those cute goofballs I hung out with are addictive. Thankfully, Young Ja gave me the next day off to prepare for my trip. I spend the day packing for our three week stay in Japan, jamming out to each CD the entire time. Although I don’t have all the lyrics memorized, I make a lot of progress.

    When Saturday morning dawns, I make sure to get the airport early. I sit by the gate, waiting with my ticket in hand. Since I have plenty of time before departure, I close my eyes for a quick catnap. What seems like a few minutes later, a series of loud screams jolts me out of my chair. Rubbing my bum as I stand, I look around for the commotion. A large crowd largely composed of teenage girls is heading this way. I shake my head, getting a good hunch of the cause. Sure enough, as they approach, I make out the five members in the middle of the throng.

    They all look so suave and handsome, throwing out occasional waves and smiles. I stand back to avoid the press of people as the boys board the plane. After they disappear into the plane, the girls disperse, leaving the actual passengers. I patiently wait until they begin seating the economy seats, my mind running through the upcoming schedule. As I’m struggling to put my carry on in the over head compartment, a pair of hands takes the bag from me. Turning, ready to demand it back, I find myself instead facing Mr. Choi, DBSK’s manager whom I had briefly met previously.

“Good morning, Choi-ssi.”

“Good morning, ______. You don’t need to put your bag up there.”

“Why not?” I ask politely.

“Because you’re being upgraded,” he smiles.

“Upgraded?”

“Yes. You’ll be with us in first class.” Without another word, he turns around and heads for the front of the plane, leaving me to catch up.

“_______!” the boys shout as Mr. Choi and I come through the curtain.

Yoochun leaps up and hugs me before leading me to the seat beside him. “Thanks, hyung,” he says to Mr. Choi.

“No problem, Yoochun. She should’ve been up here anyway to help you practice your Japanese.”

“I’m sorry, Choi-ssi. I didn’t know,” I quickly apologize.

He waves my apology away. “It’s not your fault. I guess the company forgot to get your ticket. No problem though since you’re here now. Oh, guys, I’ve got some news for you. It can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it.”

“What is it, hyung?” Yunho asks, the others looking expectantly at Mr. Choi as well.

“The company’s decided to push back your trip to America back until the end of June, beginning of July and extend your events in Japan. You’ll get to come back to Korea for a few weeks in between schedules and the two trips though.”

“Aw, I was so ready to use my English skills,” Junsu sighs. “Now I have to wait almost five months.”

“Don’t worry, Junsu. We’ll have you sounding like a native speaker by then,” I assure him.

“Are you sure that’s even possible?” Yoochun sniggers.

“No crushing my dreams, hyung,” Junsu says.

 At that moment the flight attendant comes over the intercom, giving us the normal procedure rundown and asking for everyone to be seated.

Yoochun notices my tight grip on the arm rest. “You don’t like flying?”

“I like flying,” I say. “Just not the take off.”

“I’m here,” he smiles, placing his hand over mine and squeezing it.

“I know,” I smile back.

Yoochun successfully distracts me as the plane begins its climb. We continue talking during the first hour of the flight, but Yoochun swiftly becomes tired and ends up falling asleep with his head on my shoulder. I smile and follow his example, but not before spreading the travel blanket I always take with me over us both.

    I wake up to the popping of my ears as our plane descends. Leaning around Yoochun to look out the window, I look out upon beautiful Japan. I shift back to my original position, gently shaking Yoochun’s shoulder.

“Give me five more minutes, hyung,” he mumbles.

“Yah, I’m not your hyung,” I quietly chuckle.

Blinking his eyes open, he realizes it’s me. “Oh, sorry, ______. Thanks for being my pillow.”

“It’s all good.”

“Why’d you wake me up again?” he asks.

“Because,” I reply. “We’re here.”

=================

Caribbeanpop17: thanks! that's one of my favorite Junsu-isms. That and 'Oh My GOD. Sun!" XD

nar12345: i absolutely love DBSK outing!

PurpleangelSJ: Saranghae! <3