Bikes and Beaches

The Luck of Encounters

       I roll over with a groan, woken up at an absurdly early hour by the sunlight streaming through my open windows. Glancing at the clock, which reads 6:23 am, I groan again and silently curse myself for forgetting to pull the curtains last night. I sit up and as I try to remember why I forgot to do so, my last conscious memory surfaces. I clap both hands to my mouth and fall back onto the pillows.
  

     How could I just blurt that out? I say it all the time to my friends, but what if Yoochun thought it meant something else? Is it even true? How can I have fallen in love with him after spending less than a week with him?
    

    One thing I pride myself on is my practicality. This kind of thing is something thought up by novelists and drama writers to make young girls’ hearts flutter. My mind immediately flies to Ayako’s prediction and when I find myself contemplating the possibility I shake my head. No, it’s not possible. We’re friends. He makes me laugh, he makes me feel safe, he tells me I’m beautiful...but that’s just Yoochun being Yoochun. Admittedly, I’d been attracted to him when we’d first met. Even after we’d parted, when I was lonely, I’d imagined him coming in and sweeping me off my feet, just like in the movies. I can’t help my smile when I remember the particular fantasy of him I’d conjured up when my date dumped me the night of prom for another girl. It's made even more vivid by my mind adding details from my recent time with him

“_______, you awake?”

Yoochun’s voice unexpectedly breaks through my haze, startling me so that with a squeak and a thump I fall off the bed.

Yoochun rushes into the room to find me peeking out from a tangle of blankets on the floor. “________, are you all right?”

“I’m fine,” I reply, my voice muffled by the blanket.

“What was that?” He squats down and pulls the fabric away from my mouth.

“I’m okay. You just scared me.”

“I’m sorry. Were you still sleeping?”

“No, stupid sun woke me up. I was just thinking about things.”


“What things?”


“Random things. Wait, what the heck are you doing up? You’re always sleeping.”


“I couldn’t sleep well. I’ve got to get use to this place again. You up for an adventure?”

I brush the hair from my face. “Did I hear you right? An adventure? Don’t we have something later?”

“Nope. Not until Monday.”

“Um, all right then. What were you thinking?”

“Not quite sure,” Yoochun smiles. “That’s why it’s fun.”

“What about the others?”

“They can catch up later if they want.”

“And we won’t get in trouble? Won’t you be recognized?”
“You’d be amazed how much magic sunglasses and a hat can work. Besides, today’s a free day and who knows how long it will be until we have another one of those. I don’t want to spend it cooped up. Please, _______, please come with me.”

I look back at Yoochun’s dark, pleading eyes. “Okay. One thing though.”

“What?”
“Can I get dressed first?”

He widens his eyes in mock surprise. “You mean you don’t want to go out in your pajamas? It’s the hottest trend these days.”


“Then why are you dressed in normal clothes?” I counter.

“You know me, I like rebellion. On the other hand, I can change back and join you if you’d like. You look very cozy.”

“No thanks,” I smile as I push him away. “Go wait outside. I won’t be long.”
“I have to wait outside?”

“Yes.”

“Okay.” With a dejected look on his face, Yoochun slowly gets up and walks to the door. “Are you...”
  

 Laughing, I cut him off with a well-aimed pillow to the face. He laughs too and tosses it back before going out and closing the door behind him. Once I’m sure the door is securely shut, I give a sigh of relief. Yoochun's acting the same, meaning my little slip of the tongue didn't cause the trouble I feared. I scramble out of the blankets, almost slamming my face on the floor as I trip over them. As I brush my teeth, put on my clothes and shoes, and make my bed, I decide to consider today an experiment. Maybe spending time with Yoochun alone will help me confirm that my feelings for him are completely platonic.

“What’s taking you so long?” Yoochun’s voice asks through the door.

“I’m coming, Mr. Impatient. I’m just finishing making the bed.”


He opens the door to lean against the doorframe. “What’s the point? You’re just going to mess it up again when you sleep in it tonight.”

“Because I like being neat and it’s habit.” With a final smoothing of the covers, I turn and pick up my purse, slinging it across my body. “See, it didn’t take that long.”

“Yeah, yeah. Come on.” Yoochun grabs my hand and leads me down the hall and down the stairs to a side door. He checks to make sure no one’s around before pulling a black  hat on, completely covering his hair, and sliding on a pair of large, dark sunglasses. Turning the corner, we come to a rack of bicycles.
“I guess we better leave the others their bikes in case they want to go out,” Yoochun says, bending to unlock the white one. “You don’t mind riding behind, do you?”

I shake my head and give him an embarrassed smile. “That’s probably better any. I haven’t ridden a bike in so long I’ve probably forgotten.”

“Well, we’ll take care of that first. Hop on.”

Silently congratulating for being smart enough to choose jeans, I carefully climb onto the  extended part of the seat just behind Yoochun and wrap my arms around him.

“You’re going to have to hold on tighter than that.”

“Why?”

“Cause we’re going to go really fast.” With no further warning, Yoochun speeds off. I tighten my grip around his waist and squeeze my eyes shut. Yoochun laughs as we fly down a hill, but we eventually slow down and come to a halt.

“You can release the death grip now, _________,” Yoochun chuckles.

I open my eyes and loosen my arms, looking around. We’re in a quiet park which has benches and now bare trees scattered through out. No other person is in sight.

“Why are we here, oppa?” I ask.

Yoochun carefully gets off, holding the handle bars to keep the bike upright. “Yunho found this place when we first came to Japan. I figured it’d be a good place to help you relearn riding a bike. No one really comes here, especially this early and it’s nice and flat.”

I nervously dismount. “Do I really have to?”

“Yes. Why wouldn’t you?”

“I have a very vivid memory of scraped knees and elbows from my childhood.”

“I won’t let you fall. It’ll be better if you try. Then when you don’t have to be with us you won’t be stuck at the dorm.”

“All right.” Reluctantly I get back on, putting my feet on the pedals. I can already tell this is going to be a little awkward because of the height difference between the two of us.

“Ready?” Yoochun asks, moving to one side to hold both the handlebars and the seat.

I nod and begin to pedal. Yoochun stays by my side, matching his pace to mine. I try to concentrate on what’s in front of me and keep the handlebars straight.

“You’re doing it, _______!”

Yoochun’s shout startles me for the second time today, causing me to loose concentration and begin to wobble. I shut my eyes in anticipation of meeting the hard ground, but it never happens. Easing my eyes open, I find myself looking at Yoochun’s chest.

I let out the breath I’d been holding. “Thanks.”

“I told you I wouldn’t let you fall. I’m sorry for scaring you, although...”

I look up at him when he doesn’t finish his thought.

“You’re very cute when you’re scared.”

“Yeah, right. Even if that’s true, don’t you dare scare me often or I’ll kill you.”

“I didn’t say anything.”

“But you were thinking it.” I give him a look, causing him to smile devilishly.

“All right. However tempting, I won’t do it on purpose.”

“Good. Help me get started again.”

    With a chuckle, Yoochun does as I ask. About an hour and a few almost falls later, I’m confidently riding around, keeping a steady pace. Yoochun whoops and claps as I complete my final lap and stop in front of him.

“Way to go. Told you that you could do it.” He rewards me with a high five. “Ready to go find our adventure for the day?”

“Sure thing. Any ideas?”

“I was thinking something outside the city. Know any good places?”


I think back to the semester I spent here during college, trying to remember a good place. One of the school sponsored trips we took springs into my mind. “Have you ever been to Araihama?”

“No.”

“It’s this little town right on the coast with a nice beach. If I remember, it’s a little under two hours if we take the train. Interested?”

“Definitely. Let’s go so we have more time.”

“Can I be the driver this time?”

“Scared I’ll go too fast for you?”


“Partially. I also want to practice.”
“All right, captain.” Yoochun climbs behind me. “Tally ho!”

I ignore my heartbeat’s sudden increase in pace at the feel of his arms surrounding my waist and the subtle spicy smell of whatever he has on. “Yes, sir!”
 

 

“You weren’t kidding. This place is small,” Yoochun comments as we step off the train about two and a half hours later.

“Do you not like it?” I ask worriedly.

“No, this is good. Less people means less chance of attracting attention.”

“Good point. The beach is this way, I think.” I tentatively lead him away from the station and into town. Thankfully, my memory serves me well.

As we come to a high sand dune and begin to climb, Yoochun lets out a whistle. “I can’t believe you remembered the way. When did you come here?”

“Two, three years ago, maybe. I’ve always had a good memory.”

The beach is deserted except for a few gulls scouring the sand for their breakfast.

“I’ll race you to the ocean,” Yoochun offers. “Loser has to buy lunch.”

“But the water’s going to be freezing,” I point out.

“I never said to go in, just to where the waves are coming in.”

“You’re on.” Without another word I race towards the sea.


“Not fair,” Yoochun yells, chasing after me, but I’m too busy laughing to pay attention.

==========================

Annyoung lovelies. Anyone else watching Rooftop Prince? It's so good and has given me ideas for this piece. I just wish I knew Korean so I didn't have to wait for the episodes to have english subs. Oh well, hope you enjoy the update. Saranghae!

yellow14: aw, you're so cute. ^^ thanks.

middle11992:i love their relationship too, especially since they're still friends after Junsu left SM. As for the writing, thanks. I've been writing for about seven years, but mostly poetry. I only started writing short stories about a year ago and fanfics half a year ago.

coffeeholic:thanks. ^^

nar12345: Yes it is! ChinkyKayla:lol, that they do. that they do.

PurpleangelSJ: yes she does, even if she's already fighting it.

chrinleong: yes they are, but just imagine if they were together together ;).

MewNikkiChan: thanks dongsaeng!