Hurt and Comfort

The Luck of Encounters

Dark eyes look back at me as I sit on my bed during a break in the day two days later.

“Why don’t you understand? Do I have to spell it out for you why I’ve been unhappy? Or have you noticed at all?” I ask. “ Fine. You’re chasing after a girl you barely know when I’m right here! And I don’t like it! Why? Because I love you, you big pabo.”

No answer.

“Pabo,” I sigh, reaching across the bed and pushing Wangja over. “Talking to a stuffed animal when you should be talking to a real person. Why can’t I just say it, Wangja?”

Unfortunately, he doesn’t give me the answer I want.

I sigh again, picking him up and cuddling him. “Mianhae. I’m just in a bad mood.”

    It’s all Yoochun’s fault. It seems like every second we’re not busy with schedules he’s talking with Jaehwa on the phone or texting her. It’s getting down right annoying, but of course I can’t do anything. It’s not that I want to take this lying down, but I honestly don’t know what to do. Yoochun obviously likes her and would probably turn me down flat if I told him now.

Putting my hands on either side of Wangja’s face and staring into his blank eyes, I huff, “Friend zone stinks.”

“______?” that frustrating, lovely person in question calls from behind the door.

“Come in,” I answer, hugging the bear to my chest.

“How’re Wangja and Ms._____?” Yoochun smiles, sitting on the bed beside me and rubbing Wangja’s head.

I try to ignore the butterflies his smile causes. “Same old same old. Taking advantage of our break to relax.”

Yoochun lies down, putting his head on my pillow. “It’s nice, isn’t it?”

“It is.”

After a short silence, he asks, “______, are you okay?”

“What?” I look up from fiddling with Wangja’s ears to see him watching me with a slight frown.

“Are you okay?” he repeats. “I mean, you seem all right, but I’ve noticed you look sad sometimes when you think nobody’s looking. You’re not sleeping as well either.”

“How do you know that?”

Yoochun sits up and gently trails a finger under my left eye. “You’re panda eyes almost match Wangja’s.”

I look away, my heart beating fast. Instead of telling him the real reason, I quickly lie, “I’m just a little homesick. Seeing you all play around makes me miss my brothers.”

“______-ah.” Yoochun wraps his arms around me, drawing me into his lap. “I know you miss them, but you’ve got us. Don’t be sad. I don’t like it.”

“And that’s reason enough for me not to be?” I tease, returning his embrace.

I feel his soft laughter rumble in his chest. “Of course. You want me to be happy because you love me and I won’t be happy if you’re sad.”

“I do,” I reply, knowing as I say those words they’re completely true. Does that mean I’d let someone else have him if they’re who he wanted?

Yoochun lifts my head with his finger. “So no more sad?”

“I’ll try.”

“If you start feeling bad, just tell me and I’ll make you happy, arasso?”

“Arasso, oppa,” I sigh softly, burying my face in his shoulder.

He kisses the top of my head. “How does a nap sound? We still have another hour.”

“Sounds good. I’m guessing you’re staying?”

“Do you want me to leave?”

I tighten my arms around him. “No.”

“Good. Because I wasn’t planning to. You need some cuddle time,” Yoochun says gently as he lies down again, shifting so we’re lying on our sides but he’s still holding me.

“Thank you,” I murmur.

Yoochun pushes some hair off my face. “What kind of friend would I be if I left?”

    I just smile and close my eyes. I look him from under my lashes and watch as his face relaxes in sleep, simultaneously comforted and tortured by his closeness. Slowly, the comfort wins out and I fall asleep.


    Yoochun doesn’t leave me alone for the rest of the day, even cutting down on the time he spends on his phone. He keeps me busy, talking to me, teasing me. I’m touched  and soak it up his gestures like a flower absorbs the sun’s rays. The others somehow pick up on it too and shower me with attention. I decide to tag along again with them to the arena even though I know their show by heart now because I’m in such a good mood. I don’t really understand why they have to practice, but I still enjoy watching.

Changmin somehow manages to hurt his wrist about an hour before the end and sits by me after he gets it wrapped. “I think you know the choreography better than we do.”

“Maybe,” I giggle. “I’ll never get tired of watching though.”

He laughs and sips his water before turning his eyes back to the stage.

We sit quietly together, comfortable with silence, until it finally ends.

When we arrive back at the dorm, I immediately head for the kitchen, calling over my shoulder, “What do you guys want for dinner?”

“I actually won’t be eating,” Yoochun says, leaning against the counter and smiling.

“You can’t not eat. You need to have something after practice,” Jaejoong scolds.

“I’m going to, just not here.”

“Where are you going this late, Chun? I thought you were going to play the next level with me,” Junsu pouts.

“Mianhae. Maybe tomorrow night.” Yoochun’s smile grows and he gives a little cough before continuing. “I’ve got a date with Jaehwa in a little bit.”

I freeze, hoping I heard wrong. “A date?”

“Yeah. She asked me out. How cool is that?” he laughs.

Opening the refrigerator, I use it to hide my reaction and blindly begin pulling things out.

“Nice going,” Yunho smiles. “Just be sure you don’t get back too late so you’re not exhausted for tomorrow.”

“I will. I’ve gotta get ready and shower.” Yoochun disappears down the hall.

But I don’t want you to go, I silently plead.

Jaejoong’s voice breaks into my downward spiraling thoughts. “_____, do you need any help?”

Pushing down my feelings, I smile at him and shake my head. “I’ve got it,” I say, my voice overly bright in my ears. “I’m just going to do a quick stir fry.”

He smiles and closes his eyes.

“I’ll help, ______,” Changmin says, taking the noodles from my hands.

“Sure you won’t eat them before everyone else?” I tease, trying to act normal.

“It’ll be hard, but I’ll try,” he laughs.

    As soon as he turns his back, I throw myself into chopping the vegetables to try to work away the suddenly acute ache in my heart. Now I really can’t tell Yoochun. I dash at my eyes angrily when a tear falls onto the cutting board and scold myself for being a big baby. Crying doesn’t get you anything. You just have to buck up and deal with it.

“How do I look?” Yoochun asks when he comes back into the living room a while later.

“y,” Junsu whistles.

Yunho and Jaejoong agree while Changmin just nods.

“______, what do you think?” Yoochun winks at me, spinning around. “A knock-out?”

“Looks good,” I gulp, examining the dark jeans and blue V-neck that shows off his chest nicely.

He grins sweetly at me. “Thanks, _____. Well, wish me luck guys and don’t wait up.”

“Have fun,” Yunho shouts after him.

I go back to dinner, finishing it mechanically. I talk with the others while we eat, but only pick at my food. When we finish, I prepare to bid them a quick goodnight and return to my room to brood, but Changmin has other plans.

“______, will you go with me to get some pocky sticks? I really want some, right now,” he says, looking at me with those puppy eyes that he knows I can’t refuse.

“You just ate,” Junsu points out.

“So? That was dinner. Now I want something sweet.”

“I don’t know Changmin-ah,” I reply. “I’m tired...”

“Please, noona. You didn’t get me food on my birthday.”

“You didn’t like the book?”

“I do, but I like food too.”

“Okay, okay. Let’s go. Anyone else coming?”

“No thanks. My bed is calling me,” Yunho yawns.

“The shower’s calling me,” Jaejoong says, getting up and stretching.

“I’ve got to call Yejin,” Junsu giggles. “Gotta tell her sweet dreams.”

“We’ll be back in a bit,” Changmin promises, hooking his arm with mine and striding out of the room.

“Yah, long legs,” I laugh breathlessly as we get onto the street. “I know you’re excited about food, but not all of us can walk as fast as you.”

“Mianhae,” he smiles, slowing down and releasing my arm.

It’s a quick walk to the convenience store to get Changmin’s pocky sticks, but as we walk back to the dorm he nudges me down a different street.

“Where’re we going? The dorm’s that way,” I point, following him anyway.

“I don’t want to go in yet,” he replies. “I’m not sleepy. Will you come with me?”

    I nod, a little surprised since while Changmin’s friendly enough, he likes his alone time too. He leads me down another street to a small garden with a rock garden in the center, the entire area lit with soft lamps.

“Wow,” I breathe, enjoying the ethereal beauty. “This is amazing.”

“I found it a few years ago when I was wandering by myself. There’s a Buddhist temple a few blocks away that maintains it for public use,” Changmin says, sitting on a stone bench and opening his pocky box. “It’s a good place to think.”

I nod and sit beside him, starting to nibble on my own snack.

After finishing his first few sticks, Changmin looks at me. “______, why are you letting Yoochun go out with Jaehwa since you love him?”

I choke, not expecting his question nor his directness.

Changmin pats my back to help.

“Wha-...How did you know?” I ask, wiping at my mouth and regarding him nervously. I know it’s pointless to try to deny anything. Changmin’s too smart for that.

“Observation,” he shrugs. “It wasn’t that hard to figure out if you paid attention. I knew before, since our last time here, but I didn’t see a reason to say anything. But now, you’ve been off ever since they started talking. Then there was your reaction to their date tonight.”

“Crud. Crud, crud, crud.” I bury my face in my hands.

“Noona, I’m not going to tell Yoochun, you know.”

I lift my head a little. “You’re not?”

He gives me a gentle smile and shakes his head. “Your emotions are your business in that regard. The only reason I brought it up was because I thought you might need someone to talk to.”

I sigh with relief and hug him, funnily enough feeling a little better. “Thanks, Changmin.”

Changmin wraps an arm around my shoulders. “I’m here whenever you need me...you’re not going to cry, right?”

“Yah,” I pull back enough to lightly punch his side. “I almost did, but I don’t cry when something doesn’t go the way I want. I’m no crybaby.”

“I know, but you were really hurt earlier, I could tell. Not to mention when he left us at the carnival the other night.”

My heart twinges a little, reminding me it’s still there. “I was...and still am, a little, but what can I do other than deal with it? Moping about it won’t do anything.”

Changmin looks down at me. “Telling him might,” he suggests slowly.

I pull all the way away. “Oh, no. No, no.”

“Why not? It might make him forget Jaehwa.”

“And it might make him not like me. I’d rather watch him with someone else than not be his friend. And we’re working together. If I told him and it didn’t go well, it would make things too weird. Besides, she’s who he wants, at the moment. I want him to be happy.”

He pulls me back into his side and pushes my head onto his shoulder. “You’re a pabo, you know that, right? A stubborn, selfless, pabo.”

“I’m not a pabo,” I retort.

“You are, but I understand, even if I don’t like it.”

A thought passes briefly through my head, making me look up at him. “Changmin, you don’t...”

“Don’t what?”

“You don’t like me like that...do you?”

Changmin chuckles and shakes his head. “Me being the genius that I am, don’t you think I’d use this opportunity to sweep you off your feet if I liked you? We all knew after the first night you were Yoochun’s and we wouldn’t let a girl get between us; we’re too close and now you’re like a little sister.”

“Shim Changmin, I am your noona,” I remind him.

“You’re older, yes, but you’re smaller. So you’re like my little noona.”

“Aish, what is it with guys and having to emphasize their height?” I mutter.

“It makes us feel good,” Changmin shrugs. “_____ noona, are you going to be all right?”

I nod, smiling. “Remember what you said? I’m a stubborn pabo. I can wait for Yoochun. Yunho said his girlfriends don’t usually last long. Is that true?”

“It’s normally a few months if she keeps him interested. I’ve always thought it strange.”

“Strange?”

“Yoochun hyung,...even though he has the image of a lady’s man and his actions don’t really contradict that, Yoochun hyung’s feelings run deep. He doesn’t give or take away his love easily, yet it looks like he plays with love. I guess I don’t quite understand why he wastes his time giving off that image. I have a theory though.”

“What?”

Changmin shakes his head. “It’s one of those things you have to come to a conclusion on your own. I may be completely wrong about it anyway.”

“I doubt it. You’re very smart. Speaking of which...do you think Yoochun could ever feel the same about me?

He reaches back into his box and thoughtfully chews on a few sticks. “I think it’s possible. I’ve been watching him too. Yoochun genuinely cares about you and feels very close to you, that much is obvious. His flirting with you isn’t too significant, no offense, but his compliments are meant and he’s acts tenderly towards you. I thought he might ask you out after he saw Junsu and Yejin get together, but with Jaehwa in the mix I’m not sure.”

“Stupid model,” I say, snapping a pocky stick in half.

“Noona, did you ever think of deliberately trying to make hyung jealous to test if he has feelings for you?”

“It feels too underhanded, manipulating someone’s feelings.”

“It’s not underhanded; it’s clever. At least, that is, all you want to do is find something out that’s not going to hurt anyone,” Changmin replies, shifting a little so he can see my face better but keep his arm around me.

“Even if I wanted to, he’s so wrapped up in Jaehwa I doubt he’d notice,” I complain. “Plus, I don’t want to string along a random guy. That’s even worse.”

“He might notice.”

“Not doing it, Changmin.”

“All right, all right. One more question.”

“Yes?”

“Are you going to finish those?” he asks, eyeing the last of my pocky sticks.

“Here you go, you big puppy,” I laugh, handing them over.

“Thanks, noona.” Changmin laughs too and eagerly takes them.

I look around the garden before glancing back at him. “Thank you, Changmin. For everything.”

“Eating always helps me when I’m sad. I figured you’d be the same,” he smiles.

“The company helped too.”

“Just remember that I’m here, okay?”

==============

Annyoung lovely readers! Yes, I know Yoochun's till being a dummie, but at least you/she have/has someone to talk to, right? Please restrain the need to smack Yoochun through the screen and keep reading, arasso? Also, would you like me to continue responding to comments like this or reply to them individually on the comment reply thingy? Saranghae!

tichiharahara: Ke ke, Changmin's just brilliant. Yoochun is too, but stupid hormones are blocking his brain. I miss Junsu's silliness too. I don't know about the smacking, though Changmin may consider it...

nar12345: Yeah, girls like Jaehwa tend to be deaf in that area. I don't think that it's that she's not girly enough, it's just she's a friend so Yoochun's automatically more careful with her and now she doesn't want to make a fool of herself. Furry Wangja's less frustrating.

Champions27: This.

SuperSHINeeB2STJr: Ke ke, Wangja's the best! Changmin's a genius, like he said. We'll have to see if the others are catching on too.

Mionyu: That he is. I can't help writing him like this since he's tied with Chunnie as my bias in DBSK.

MewNikkiChan: He's not being a douche; just a unobservant, hormone driven guy. =P Don't hurt Wangja! Ke ke, Changmin is a god (at least in his own mind) As for the necklace...you shall see.

WhiteAutumn_x: Ke ke, yay!

Rain_Dances44: Well, the main character is you, so I hope you don't hate her. ^^ You're so smart guessing this update! Thanks for the part about them not fighting over the girl, I was a little worried people would say it was unrealistic that one of the others wouldn't fall for her but it's like you said: they're too close to let that happen.

yellow14: But Yoochun likes Jaehwa now...

Jun_KOI_Mi: Agreed. ChinkyKayla: It is frustrating. Thanks for the encouragement! ^^

EhaaKevin:It's strange and kind of sad how often we don't see things that are constantly right in front of us. We'll see about the jealousness.

ljolson: Probably not or it'll take awhile.

PurpleangelSJ: Trust me, I know too well what it feels like to watch someone you love be in love with someone else...it and was a waste of time in my case, but I don't think that'll be the case in this story. You really have a necklace? I'm psychic! Ke ke, just kidding. Junsu would be so cute if he was in love. If we're born in the same year, doesn't that make us chingu?