A Perfect Act...

The Luck of Encounters

    By the next morning, Junsu’s high still hasn’t worn off. As we sit in the green room before filming for today’s segment of the show ‘Caffeine,’ he’s still beaming.

“Isn’t today a great day, guys?” he asks, spinning his chair around the room.

“Ask me again when I’m awake,” Yoochun yawns.

“Maybe you can give him some of your energy, Junsu,” I laugh. “Did you sleep at all?”

“No, not really,” Junsu smiles.

“He kept tossing and turning,” Changmin complains. “I was lucky to sleep at all.”

“You can take a nap before we go to the fan meeting after this,” Yunho says. “Just wait until you have someone you like. Then we’ll see if you’re not just as happy.”

“I’m already in a relationship.”

“What?” we all shout.

“Of course. No one shall ever come between me and my beloved food. It’s a very stable relationship, been together for years.”

“Always thinking with your stomach,” Jaejoong laughs, the rest of us joining in.


“Hey, that way of thinking rarely leads me astray. For example, it’s already told me that the hosts of this show are going to be considerate, friendly, and fun. They’ll also most likely be two men.”

“How’d you deduce that, Sherlock?” Yoochun asks.

Changmin points to the two bowls of fruit on the low table in front of him before scooping up a banana. “Not many shows have made food available, but these people obvious want to put us at ease. Second, it’s fruit so it’s fast and easy to eat; no fuss. It’s also not cut or arranged like a woman would likely set out. As for the number two,” he shrugs, taking a bite of his banana. “Most of this type of show have two hosts.”

“Isn’t our magnae a smartie?” Junsu smiles, clapping Changmin on the back.

“It’s elementary, dear Watson,” Changmin replies.

“He can’t be Watson,” Yoochun says. “Watson was smart.”

“Yah!” Junsu laughs, snatching up an orange and tossing it at him.

Yoochun chuckles as he catches it. “Thanks.”

I giggle quietly, watching him struggle with the peel. “Need any help?”

“I can get it.” After a few minutes, he’s still getting nowhere. “Okay. Yes, I do.”

Taking the fruit from him, I push my nail through the skin and slowly work my way around the orange, keeping the peel in a single curving strand.


“How’d you do that?” Yoochun asks, picking up the peel and ignoring the orange.


“Practice. I can do it with apples too; just with a knife instead.”

“It’s so cool.” Laughing, he presses it under his nose and in a snooty British accent asks, “Do you think I should grow sideburns to match my dashing mustache, darling?”

“Glad to see everyone’s relaxed and in a good mood,” a cheerful voice says above our resulting laughter.

A tall young man with glasses and a bright smile stands in the doorway. “Hello, I’m Kyo Honda. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

We scramble to our feet to greet him.

“It’s our pleasure,” Yunho says, returning his bow.

“My co-host should be along shortly. He’s probably doing some last minute scheming with the producer.” Kyo notices me and smiles. “And who do we have here? The previously unknown sixth member of Tohoshinki?”

“No, just their interpreter. _________,” I giggle, shaking his hand.

“Kyo! We’ve got a problem! Where are you?” Another young man comes into the room, his long hair slightly disheveled. “Oh, hello. I’m Yuki Soma. Sorry for the abruptness, but Kyo, the actress we had to come in for the skits just cancelled. We’ll have to think of...there’s a girl here.”

“Brilliant observation, Yuki,” Kyo says sarcastically, his eyes lighting up mischievously. “Will you be telling us there are currently seven men here next?”

“No, no. Don’t you see? She can stand in. The show is saved!” Yuki runs in and takes my hand from Kyo, shaking it enthusiastically. “Thank you so much for being here, you beautiful person you.”

“Always the dramatic one,” Kyo sighs. “She hasn’t even agreed yet.”

“You will, won’t you? Please do!” Yuki begs.

“What am being asked to do exactly?” I ask, unable to not smile at Yuki’s silliness.

“Stand in for our skits. All they are are different scenarios and you just improvise it. Under a minute and no lines to memorize. They won’t work without a female and frankly, although Kyo does look like a girl, it won’t be the same if we dress him up like one.”

“But I’ve never acted in my life,” I say as Kyo stifles a snort.

I feel a hand on my back. Yoochun smiles down at me. I look at the others. Although I feel my stomach already churning, I nod, not wanting to ruin the show. “Okay.”

“I knew I liked you! You’re amazing! Oh, I could kiss you if I knew you better. I’ve got to go tell the producer. The show is saved!” With that Yuki runs out of the room.

“Quite the whirlwind, our Yuki,” Kyo chuckles. “Been that way ever since we grew up in NYC and my aunt let him run wild. I’ll go see if I can find someone to help you with makeup. We should start in ten minutes or so. Thank you again, ______,”

When he leaves, I sink back into the chair. “Did I really just agree to act on television?”

“You did. It’ll be all right. Yuki said they’ll be short,” Yunho says, sitting across from me. “You can still change your mind.”

I take a deep breath. “No. I said I would so I will. Besides, I think Yuki would cry if I do.”

“Probably,” Jaejoong chuckles. “Improv’s all give and take. We’ll help you.”

“Exactly. You won’t be alone,” Yoochun says, sitting on the arm of the chair and putting an arm around my shoulders.

“The trick of it is to not laugh,” Changmin adds. “Junsu cracks up all the time.”

“I do not,” Junsu retorts. “I’m a good actor.”

“I’m sure you are and I’m glad of it,” I say. “Cause I’m going to need all the help I can get.”

    They all rush to assure me I’ll be fine, but I’m still incredibly nervous when we start filming. Thankfully, I’m mostly hidden by the couch and the hosts’ antics keep my attention occupied. Yuki and Kyo play off each other and the boys so the show seems like less of a show and more of a boys night out. When Yuki winks at me, my heart begins racing, knowing it must be time. 


To confirm my thoughts, Yuki turns to the camera, saying, “And now, for your entertainment, and ours, the producer and I have whipped up some scenarios for Tohoshinki to show off their acting abilities as well as their romantic sides. Unfortunately, our guest actress was unable to make it today, but we were able to find someone just as beautiful to step in. Please welcome Tohoshinki’s interpreter, _____.”

Kyo motions for me to stand, which I reluctantly do. With a nervous smile, I walk around to join them on the adjacent stage of the set.

Taking a large dice from the table behind us, Kyo offers it to the boys. “To determine the order,” he explains.

The results put Jaejoong first, followed by Yunho, Changmin, Junsu, and Yoochun. They rearrange their line to reflect the new order and wait expectantly as Yuki holds out a jar full of folded papers to me.

“The lady’s choice,” he smiles.

I close my eyes and reach into the jar. When I choose one, I pull it out to hand it to Yuki.

“You meet a cute girl on the street and try to get her number,” he reads.

    The guys laugh as Jaejoong and I step forward into the open space. Jaejoong walks a little further off, while I stand still, desperately trying to think of what to do. I sneak a panicked look at Yoochun. He smiles and gives me a quick wink. For some reason, that small thing chases away the butterflies in my stomach. Breathing deeply, I look offstage, pretending I’m on a busy street waiting for a bus.

“Action!” I hear Yuki shout.

    Out of the corner of my eye, I watch Jaejoong start walking towards me. As he’s about to pass, he does a double take. After a small deliberation, he comes and stands beside me. I glance at him. Jaejoong smiles. I give him a small smile and a nod before looking away.

“Excuse me,” he says. “Am I in Heaven?”

“No. Tokyo,” I reply, giving him a strange look.

“I have to be.”

“Excuse me?”


“Well, angels belong in Heaven, don’t they? If I’m not in Heaven, then how could I be looking at one right now?”

I hear the others struggling to contain their laughter and can barely contain my own. “Seriously?”

“Seriously,” Jaejoong smiles. “I’m Jaejoong, by the way.”
“_____.”

“Pretty name. So, _____, do you have enough time to go get a coffee or something?”

“No. I’m sorry.” I glance at my pretend watch. “I’ve got to catch this bus. Bye.”

“Then can I have your number so we can do it later?”


“Sorry, I don’t give my number out,” I reply as I edge away.

“Please give me your number,” Jaejoong begs, grabbing my sleeve and dropping to his knees. “Please, I’ll do anything!”

Junsu can’t help himself and lets loose a huge guffaw seconds before the others. Jaejoong lets go of my sleeve and flops over, shaking from laughter.

“Well, I don’t know about you, but I think that was a demonstration of how not to ask a girl for her number,” Yuki laughs as he comes to my side. “Let’s see how Yunho does.”

“Your girlfriend is jealous because you’ve been spending a lot of time working on a school project with your female partner,” Kyo reads when I hand him the paper. As he and Yuki step away, he says, “Positions please, and ... action!”

“_____,” Yunho shouts happily, running up to me.

“You’re late,” I reply, crossing my arms. “Were you working with her again?”

“Yes. I’m sorry. It won’t happen again; we’re almost done. You ready to go?”

“Maybe I don’t want to go.”

“Jagiya,” Yunho says in a puzzled voice, a pouty frown on his face. “What’s wrong?”

He tries to touch my shoulder but I move away. “Why don’t you just ask Hana instead? You spend more time with her than you do me now. She’s all you ever talk about. Why not just make her your girlfriend?” I snap, bringing tears to my eyes. Turning from him, I start to walk away.

“Yah!” Yunho grabs my arm and spins me around. “Look at me.”

I gaze back at him, but he freezes. After a few seconds, he bursts out laughing.

“I’m sorry,” he says, trying to stop laughing. “One more time.”

“Take two!” Yuki shouts.

“Look at me,” Yunho says again. “Hana doesn’t even compare to you. I’ve already got the best girl in the world. You’re the only one in my eyes.”

Tugging my arm, he pulls me closer and wraps his arms around me. When the others start clapping, Yunho steps back and bows with a smile before returning to the line.


“Excellent,” Kyo says. “I think with we just saw a future drama star. Now for Changmin.”

“Pick a good one, ______ ,” Changmin calls.

“They’re all good,”Yuki protests as I draw the next scene.

“Your girlfriend tells you she wants to break up,” I read.

Changmin rubs his hands. “All right. Let’s do this.”

“Action!” Yunho shouts.

“That’s my line,” Yuki pouts.

“Shh,” Kyo scolds him as Yunho whispers, “Sorry.”

“It’s beautiful tonight, isn’t it?” Changmin asks, looking at me with a gentle smile.

“It is...Changmin...There’s something I want to ask you.”

“What’s that?”

I look away. “What would you say if I said I wanted to break up?”

“I’d say, ‘All right.’”

I look at him, a little shocked and confused. “What? I thought you loved me.”

“I do,” he says. “Because I do, I’d let you go if you were unhappy. There’s something else too.”

“What?”

Changmin takes my hand. “I know you’ll always come back to me because no one can ever love you as much as I do. Ever. That and...”

“And?”

“I’m too cute to leave, right?” Changmin smiles, snuggling into my shoulder.

I cover my giggling mouth as Yoochun drags Changmin away.

“I think Changmin just made a number of our viewers faint,” Kyo laughs. “Now, Junsu!”

“Ready to show ‘em, noona?” Junsu whispers as I hand Yuki the paper.

“You betcha,” I answer.
“You accidentally forget your anniversary. Oh, this is good,” Yuki chuckles. “Let’s see how Junsu handles this one.”

“Junsu-ah,” I say, lightly pulling on his arm. “Come on. I made you a yummy dinner.”

“That’s sweet of you. What’s the occasion?” he smiles.

“You’re so cute, pretending to forget it’s our anniversary,” I giggle.

“Anniversary?” Junsu asks, sounding a little panicky.

“Of course. You got me something special, didn’t you?”

“I...I...uh..”

I let my lips form a pout. “You did forget.” With a humph, I turn away.

“No, I didn’t,” he says quickly. “I...I...Here, kitten. Look. I got you this necklace.”

I glance back at him. “You were already wearing that.”

“I was wearing it so it’d take a bit of me with it when I gave it so you so you’ll always have a piece of me with you, right next to your heart.”

My responding ‘Aw’ causes Junsu and the others to start giggling madly.

“Man, I’ve got to take lessons from you,” Kyo says, giving Junsu a high-five. “That was brilliant.”

“And last, but not least, we have Yoochun!” Yuki announces.

Yoochun smiles at me before looking at Yuki, awaiting our final scene.

“The girl you’ve had a crush on confesses to you.”

“Piece of cake,” Yoochun says. “Right, _____?”

“Right,” I reply shakily.

“Ready?” Yoochun moves so we’re facing each other.

Kyo waves his hand. “Action!”

“Did you need help with anything else before I leave?” Yoochun asks with a friendly smile after I hesitate to start.

“No, thank you. Wait.” I reach out to stop him, but pull my hand back when he turns around. “Actually, there is something.”

“I’m all yours,” he smiles.

“Well...I...” I twist my bracelet, instantly stopping my nervous habit when I realize I’m doing it. Why am I nervous? I was fine with the others. It’s not like I’m really telling him I like him and meaning it...right?

“Yes?” Yoochun’s voice snaps me back.

“I have to tell you something, and you can’t laugh...or hate me.”

“I could never hate you.I-”

“I really like you,” I blurt out. Why are my hands shaking?


Yoochun’s mouth drops open. “You...like me?”

I nod, keeping my eyes on the floor.

Yoochun walks forward and lifts my chin with his finger. “Well, that’s kinda perfect.”

“Perfect?” I look into his eyes, scarcely breathing.

“Yeah. Cause...I kinda like you too.”

    My heart stops as Yoochun slowly wraps his arms around me and brings me into his chest. My world stops, every detail of the moment burning into my mind: the warmth of Yoochun’s embrace, the steady beat of his heart, the way his breath tickles my ear. When he lets me go, I vaguely hear Yuki and Kyo thanking me for helping and announcing the end of the show. The collected part of me remembers to smile and step out of the way. Once the cameras stop, I walk into the hall and sink down against a wall. The other half of me completely takes over, shouting out two now undeniable facts.

    I am in love with Yoochun. And I am in so much trouble.

=============

Annyoung! A big MIANHAE for not doing my weekly update! There was this huge storm called a super derecho (basically a nasty thunder and wind storm trying to be a tornado) and most of my area has been without power for the past five days. Believe me, it's been gross and I'm am SO far behind on everything K-Pop! Ugh, anyway, I shouldn't complain too much because I got power back this afternoon and me and my family weren't hurt. If you want to see my inspiration for this chapter, here's part one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0lC2kPxB4Q. It's super funny. Hope you enjoy this one and I'll have more for you soon. Saranghae!

WhiteAutumn_x: All in good time, chingu, all in good time.

MewNikkiChan: Get some sleep, arasso? And Junsu's so cute because...he's Junsu!

SuperSHINeeB2STJr: Of course I remember you, lovely. ^^ Thanks for loving both my fics!

angelisabel: I look forward to writing them. ^^

nar12345: Ke ke, I hear him say something like that all the time on old talk shows of theirs.

ChinkyKayla: I certaintly hope so.

PurpleangelSJ:ke ke, super glad you liked it. ^^ Saranghae!