Not That Bad

Why Her?

My Tzuyu really was an amazing cook. Her spring rolls were delicious... We ate in silence, genuinely enjoying the food we cooked for each other, or at least I hoped Tzuyu really liked what I cooked for her. She seemed upset when I told her that Mina was with Momo. I guess my suspicion was right; that Tzuyu likes Mina, and not me. We finished eating, and luckily I got a call from Mina.

"I'll be right back." I pointed to my phone, and that Mina was calling me. She nodded. Once I got far enough away, I started talking to her. "My little Tzu has a crush on you." 

"What?!" I heard both her and Momo's voices. 

"Mina's mine." I heard Momo whine.

"Why does Tzuyu like me?! She should like you!"

"I know." I growled. 

"It's not Mina's fault she's so damn hot." 

"Momo, hush." I heard Mina scold her girlfriend playfully. "Well, she knows I'm dating Momo, right?"

"She knows that Mina is mine and mine alone, right?" Momo added. I heard Mina giggle.

"Yeah, she knows. I told her, and she seemed upset about it." 

"Oh geez, I'm sorry, Sana. All you can do is be there for her. Show her a good time, and make her forget about me. Next time she texts me, I'll be sure to friendzone her as much as possible, and I'll talk about Momoring." 

"Thank you, Mina. Love you." 

"Oh. Yeah, I called to let you know that I won't be home tonight."

"Why?!" I screamed, and I saw Tzuyu look up at me. I smiled sheepishly. 

"You know I care about you and Tzuyu's relationship, and you have to give me all the details when I come home in the morning, but Momo's parents are out~" 

"Are you serious? Already?" I sighed.

"Already done-"

"Shut up!" Mina cut Momo off. "Listen, Momo and I are both of age. It's fine. Tell dad for me, please. Just tell him that I'm spending the night with Momo, and that I'll be back in the morning. He's not picking up his phone."

"Oh yeah, he said he was going to be running errands today." I reasoned. "I'll text him."

"Thanks~" 

"Bye, Mina. Be safe."

"I'm with Momo. How could I not-" I hung up with a grimace, then went back to Tzuyu. 

"Everything okay?" She looked concerned.

"Yeah. It's just that Mina is a little...hormonal, I guess. Momo happens to be hormonal as well, so she let me know that she won't be coming home tonight." I sighed.

"Oh..." She sighed. Poor thing... 

 


 

I realized with a heavy heart that Mina was the more erted of the two. Maybe it was good that I didn't end up with her; but I doubt I would have had any complaints if she tried something with me. I saw Sana looking at me with concern. 

"I'm just worried about Mina, is all." I responded to her gaze, and looked at the table.

"Me too." She laid her head down on the table. Maybe Sana was hormonal, too. Maybe she wanted- Nope. Not going there. Either way, this is my...future wife...I guess, that we're talking about here, so it was my job to comfort her. I think. I leaned my head on her back, not really knowing how to comfort her. I knew she liked hugging me, at least, so I wrapped my arms around her. 

"It'll be okay." It felt nice to be so close to Sana. I could smell her perfume, and I realized how comfy her clothes were, and I kind of wanted to wear them more often. I never knew gym shorts could feel so cuddly. 

"Yeah, Mina's old enough...She's an adult." She mumbled. 

"Let's, umm...you suggested the lake earlier..." She sat up, but I kept my arms around her. Our faces were inches apart. We both looked away, and I let her go.

"Yeah. The lake...I, umm...there are turtles that you can see sometimes..." 

"That sounds nice." I looked at her, and she was still looking away from me. She was blushing, too. "Can we go look?" I put my chin on her shoulder to . 

"O-Of course. Yeah. We should." She stuttered, and got up. I followed, and we walked down to the lake. It was clear, and there was only a little bit of algae. There were lots of little fish swimming in the shallows, and there were dragonflies flying over the lake, too. 

"How long have you been in Korea?"

"Huh? Umm, three years." 

"I've only been here for two years...so you know the wildlife better than me, right?"

"I...my dad doesn't want me to leave the house too much. He's worried about me." 

"What?!" I yelped. "Wait. Okay, have you never gone hiking or swimming in a lake or bird-watching or-"

"No." She giggled. "I've never done anything that involves nature...I'd love to, but there are snakes, and probably mice..." 

"That's the fun part." She looked at me like I was crazy. "Come on, you don't think people go hiking or swimming or anything to enjoy the plants, right? The fun part is when you see wild animals."

"Okay..." She didn't seem convinced. 

"Okay. You know how we're looking at these fish right now, and it's cool, right?"

"Yeah. I like the fish." 

"Imagine hiking in a forest on a nice day, and there's a herd of deer just crossing your path." 

"Has that ever happened to you?" She gasped.

"Not a herd of deer, necessarily. I just saw a mother deer and her baby." 

"That's amazing! Tzuyu, that sounds so cool!" 

"Thanks." I giggled at her enthusiasm. "I should take you hiking sometime...since it's your first time, we won't go on a long trail. It'll be more of a passive nature walk than a hike, since you don't get out much." 

"Yes please Tzu~" She embraced me in a hug. "You're the best." 

"You're the best, not me. You're the reason I'm not walking around feeling like I'm ."

"It's nothing." She mumbled. I rubbed her back as I looked at the fish.

"The reason I asked how long you've lived here was because I was wondering if you knew what type of fish they are." 

She let go, and kneeled in front of the fish. "They all look the same...but I can't see them well." 

"There's a couple different species right here. I don't know if I'm right, but I think these are young bluegill fish."

"How can you tell?!" She looked at me in awe. Her reactions were so cute.

"Well, they're silvery, but have a darker yellow tint to their undersides."

"You're amazing. What are those?!" She pointed to a longer fish. It was a little bigger than the bluegills.

"Those?" I laughed. "That's one fish." 

"Just one?! Is it a snake?!" 

"No. It has little whiskers. It's a catfish, honey." I covered my mouth as soon as the word left my mouth. 

"You said something~" She grinned evilly at me.

"Yeah. I said it's a catfish." I was blushing, and my face kept getting hotter by the minute. 

"No, after that." 

"I didn't say anything. Are you feeling okay?" 

"You definitely said something." She turned to face me. "You called me 'honey', didn't you?"

"I might have. I don't think so." I tried backing away from her, but fell back onto the grass. She crawled on top of me. 

"You shouldn't lie to your wife." My heart pounded as I looked up at her. She was gorgeous, and adorable, but now...now, she almost looked y. 

"Okay, fine...I said it." I looked away. 

"Said what?" 

"Honey." I whimpered. She giggled, getting off of me. She offered her hand to help me up, but I fell as soon as she pulled me up. My legs were wobbly from nervousness. 

"Aww, Tzuyu~" She was back to being adorable, as she sat next to me on the grass and cuddled me. 

"A-Anyway..." I tried to speak without stuttering, but it was impossible. 

"Poor Tzuyu is nervous~" 

"I need a minute." I got up, and fell again. I heard her giggling, and it made my heart flutter even more. "Sana~" I whined for help.

"Yes, Tzuyu." She smiled, helping me up. 

"S-So, umm...the turtles...did you happen to see any...maybe?"

"I don't know." She pointed to a bump on a log; the bump was indeed a turtle. "Is that one?"

"It is!" I hugged her tightly. 

"Are there different kinds of turtles, too?"

"Yep. Tons of different kinds."

"Oh! What kind is it, then?" 

"I...I kinda can't tell from this distance." 

"Can you guess?"

"I mean, yeah...If I had to guess, I'd say it could be a...geez, I really don't know." Sana got out her phone and zoomed in on it, taking a picture. She showed me her phone.

"It's really weird." I looked at her phone, and it had a long nose. I gasped when I looked at the picture, then I looked back at the turtle. 

"Sana!" I squealed. "That's a softshell turtle!" 

"Cool!" 

"I've never seen one in the wild before!" I shook her shoulders. "This is amazing!" 

"Oh my God, really?! That's so cool!" 

"You've gotta send me that picture." 

"I will~" She leaned her head on my shoulder. "Just look at it. It's just laying there...do you think the seagulls will eat it?"

"Nah. A crow might, but even a crow might not try to eat one of those."

"What eats turtles, anyway?"

"People do." I shrugged. "Raccoons and animals like that will eat baby turtles, but larger turtles don't really have any natural predators." 

"That's cool. So you think he'll live?"

"He'll live for a while." I nodded. 

"Can I name him?"

"Go for it."

"Since he's ugly, I'm naming him Uyuzt."

"What?" I laughed at her ridiculous name.

"It's your name backwards. It's because he's the opposite of you." 

"In that case, I think a better name for him would be Anas." 

"Nope. Uyuzt. Ugly is similar to me." 

"Shut up~" I laid down, pulling her on top of me. "You're not ugly." I ran my fingers through her hair.

"Thanks, Tzuyu~" She kissed my cheek, and I felt my face heat up. She giggled. "Is my little Tzuyu embarrassed?" 

"No, it's just, um...nothing." We laid like that for a little while, just enjoying the silence. It was a comfortable silence. My arms were draped around her waist, as her hands played with my hair. "Oh, yeah. I said I wanted to get to know you." 

"Mmhmm..." She sounded sleepy. 

"Are you sleepy?" I giggled as she shook her head, but she yawned afterwards. "You're sleepy." I rubbed her back, and she hummed, seeming content. "If you're awake enough, can you tell me about yourself? Just general stuff." She yawned, but started talking- more like mumbling, but I could understand her.

"I like cuddling...Mina and I would cuddle when I was scared...I can't sleep without my giant panda plushie because..." She yawned. "I need something to cuddle in order to sleep...I like eating..." She yawned again. "I have some gross scars...because of the Yakuza..." She nuzzled her face into my neck. "...that I hope you never see..."

"You poor thing..." I wished I had more arms, so I could hold her close while rubbing her back and brushing her hair. There was so much more I wanted to do to calm her, but I couldn't since I only have two arms. Even though Mina told me about how she got the scars, it still hurt to hear. 

"It's fine...it's in the past..." She mumbled. "Is there anything you wanna know...?"

"Nothing in particular...Actually, yes, you said you've dated girls before."

"Yeah, I have...I won't lie to you Tzuyu, I've dated a lot of girls, and I don't remember their names or faces."

"Oh...did you ever, you know...umm..."

"Yeah...I'm sorry, Tzuyu." She tightened her grip on me. "I've had with a number of different girls...I was impulsive, and went to clubs a lot, so I had some one night stands..." 

"Oh..." I couldn't hide my disappointment. I was kind of shocked. Sana seemed like the type of girl to be gentle and caring. "Will...will I end up like them...?"

"Of course not, Tzuyu." She got up, and kissed my cheek. "We're getting married."

"Even if we weren't...if we were just dating, would I have ended up like them?"

"Probably not...even if we were dating and happened to break up, I'd remember you. I'd probably keep in touch with you, too." She laid back down. "You're different Tzuyu. Not just because you're young, but because...I can't explain it. I just...I don't know." 

"Mhm...so...I won't be your first...but...you'll be my first..." My heart felt kind of heavy. Not even the fact that she has had with other girls, but the fact that she's probably dated girls, and their relationship probably led up to ...they've probably said they love each other, and that means that Sana has loved before. 

"Yeah...I'm sorry, Tzuyu." She seemed upset, too. I felt kind of bad for bringing up the topic, but I said I wanted to get to know her, and, well, I'm getting to know her. 

"Sorry I brought it up." 

"No, don't be. You were curious and you should know."

"Is there anything you want to know about me?" She sprung up.

"Yes. There's a lot." I giggled at her enthusiasm. 

"Ask away." 

"Am I your first girlfriend?"

"Yes..." 

"Do you get nervous easily? In a bad way, not the cute flustered way."

"Yeah...kind of."

"Are you open to cuddles?"

"From you, yes."

"How do you feel about kissing?"

"Umm...not on my lips...or anywhere below my face." 

"What's your favorite food?"

"I...I don't think I have one. If I had to choose, probably those pancakes you cooked yesterday morning."

"What's your favorite color?"

"Indigo."

"Hot weather or cold weather?"

"Umm...cold."

"Are you scared of the marriage?"

"I'm...not as scared as I was..." 

"Do you want to move slowly?"

"U-Umm...yeah..."

"Who should make the first move? Me or you?"

"You...I'd be too nervous."

"Would you feel comfortable sleeping over since you know all I want from you are cuddles?"

"I'd be a bit nervous...I'm sure it wouldn't be that bad..."

"Do you wanna sleep over tonight?"

"Umm...I...don't know..."

"It's okay if you don't. I understand if you're nervous. Oh! Do you like getting kisses?"

"It's nice, I guess..." She kissed my cheek.

"It's okay if you don't want to sleep over. I'd be nervous, too." 

"I umm...I'd like to spend more time with you, but I don't know if I'm ready to sleep over..." 

"That's totally fine." She kissed my cheek again. 

"Thanks for not forcing me into anything..."

"No worries, Tzu. It's my job to take care of you, since it seems like your mother gave up." I gave her a confused look. "You do remember what she sent you here in, right?" 

"Oh. Yeah. Thanks." 

"If you want to wear that home, you can." 

"Really?!" I pulled her down into a hug. "Thank you so much!" 

"Do you like my clothes that much?" She giggled. "You can use my entire closet, I don't care. Actually, I think it would be adorable to see you in my clothes all the time." 

"Please~" I hugged her as tightly as possible. "Your clothes are so comfy." 

"Any time, honey."