I Think I Prefer The Maid

Why Her?

I didn't not want to do anything more than I do right now. My mom was dragging me out of the car, while my dad rang the doorbell of the mansion.  

"Tzuyu. This is the first impression you give your wife." She growled.

"Mom. I want. A different. Wife." I grunted, as she yanked me from the car. 

"Behave, Chou Tzuyu. You might like her." She dragged me by my hand to the door, which was opened by a guy that was probably in his late thirties. 

"Hello, Chou family, and Miss Tzuyu." He smiled at me, and I looked down. He seemed sort of creepy. "My little Sana is helping the maid prepare dinner. It should be ready soon enough. Come and sit at the table." He welcomed us in, and I just kept looking down while my parents thanked him.

"What a good girl." My mom complimented. "Already cooking meals for Tzuyu."

"She's excited out of her wits about meeting Tzuyu." He chuckled, walking us to the table. "She begged me to take her to see her yesterday. She thinks you're adorable, Miss Tzuyu." I kept my head down, but nodded slightly. "Are you alright, Miss Tzuyu?" He asked, sounding genuinely concerned. I thought for the first time that maybe he isn't as terrible as I think he is. I shrugged, wanting to be honest with this man. I kept my eyes on my hands folded in my lap, which were adorned with bracelets and rings.

"Everything oka-" I heard a voice stop, and someone scurry back to where they came from. I didn't see anything, or who it was. 

 


 

"Oh. My. God." I put my hands on Mina's shoulders. She became our maid due to her own financial struggles, and moved with us to Korea. She became my best friend, and part of the family, although we still paid her. My dad treated her like another daughter, and I treated her like a sister. 

"Is she pretty?" She grinned.

"Gorgeous." I winked. "I can't believe she's real!" I hugged her tightly and we jumped in happiness. "But okay, wait. She didn't look good." 

"What do you mean?" My best friend's face changed to one of concern. 

"She seems upset." 

"She's young. Of course she doesn't want to be tied down to a wife yet." She patted my shoulder. "I'll go ask your father for her favorite meal. Keep working in here, please. You're doing great." 

"You're the best." I hugged her again. 

 


 

"Is there anything I can do to help?" He asked, but my father cut him off.

"She's being a teenager. I apologize." I saw him bow out of the corner of my eye. 

"I doubt that it's...oh, what did Sana call it? 'Teenage angst', I think. I think it's not mere laziness or disdain with Miss Tzuyu. It's a lot to happen at once, isn't it?" I nodded silently in response. "Of course, I don't mean to interfere with how you see your daughter. You know her far better than I do." He took his attention away from me and back to my father. 

"Excuse me." I looked up at the sound of a friendly voice. She had shoulder-length black hair, and a beautiful smile. She wore an apron over a loose maid uniform...I could only hope that this was Sana. She looked down-to-earth and friendly. "I apologize for my interruption, I just need to ask a quick question to Sir Minatozaki." 

"Of course, Mina." He smiled kindly at her, and she whispered something in his ear. "Of course!" He grinned when she was done speaking. "Miss Tzuyu. If you could eat anything in the world right now, what would you like to eat?" 

"Umm...I...I don't know..." I mumbled, looking back down. I was disappointed that the girl was Mina and not the woman I have to spend the rest of my life with. The girl called Mina approached me with a smile, bowing to me. I looked up in shock, and stood up and bowed in return. She and Mr. Minatozaki laughed. 

"There's no reason for you to bow to me, Miss. I do appreciate the gesture, though." She giggled. "Please sit down and relax." I did as she asked, feeling a little embarrassed. "I'm cooking with your future wife in the kitchen. Between the two of us, I'm sure we can cook anything your heart desires."

"That's...umm...I'm not hungry..." I whimpered, looking down.

"Miss Tzuyu, you've got to eat at your age." Her soft and kind voice convinced me to lift my head again. "What do you usually eat?" 

"Ramyeon..." I whispered.

"Chou Tzuyu!" I heard my mother scold me, and I looked back down. "I told you not to eat so much ramyeon! You'll gain weight!" 

"It's okay, Miss." I felt Mina's comforting hand on my back, and I leaned into her touch. "It's a stressful time for her. In fact, I think it'd be good for her health if she gained a little weight." She kneeled, coming into my field of vision. "Is there a specific kind of ramyeon you like most?" 

"Whatever you want to make..." I whispered.

"Do you like meat?" The kind maid asked, and I shrugged. "When you go and buy cup ramyeon, what does your favorite kind say it is?"

"Chicken." I whispered again.

"Alrighty." She clapped her hands together, looking proud. "Thank you so much, my lady." I think she saw how startled I was at her calling me "my lady", since she chuckled and started explaining to me. "Sana is technically my lady, even though we're more like sisters. That makes you my lady as well, but since we aren't well acquainted, I called you 'Miss' at first." 

"Oh...um...thank you..." 

"Not a problem. Sana and I will go get started on that ramyeon now, okay? Eat a lot." She patted my back before rushing back to the kitchen.

"Mina has been with our family since she was fifteen. Her mother forced her to work for us, but it hurt my heart to put the poor thing to work. She became more of a playmate for Sana than a maid. As she got older, I made little requests of her to wash the dishes and such. Her mother passed away about a year ago, but she insisted on staying with us. The three of us are like a family." He chuckled. 

"That's sweet of you!" My mom said in awe, as I kept my head down.

 


 

"Okay, got it." My best friend grinned, getting out noodles. "She wants chicken ramyeon." 

"It took that long to get her to say what she wants?"

"Oh, I don't even know if she wants it. She wouldn't say that she wanted us to cook anything. The poor kid said she wasn't hungry, but she's thin..." 

"Aww..." I whined. "I wanna go out there and hug her...my poor baby." 

"I know." She sighed, but then smiled as she poured the noodles into a pot of boiling water. "But I know you'll take good care of her. She's cute, by the way." 

"I know we're both gay, but she's mine."

"Obviously. She's not my style. You know I've had my eyes on, you know..." She winked at me.

"Shut up." I laughed. "You're too scared to flirt with Momo." 

"Okay, but Momo is hot. Tzuyu is a cutie pie. Speaking of Tzuyu, you cook the ramyeon. She's your wife, not mine." 

"True." I smiled, remembering the gorgeous girl that I'm engaged to. I started adding chicken and some vegetables to the broth. "I'm so lucky." My heart fluttered at the realization that I was cooking for my wife. "When you finally get the courage to ask Momo out, we should go on a double date." 

"Momo can't go out with me." My best friend chuckled bitterly. 

"Why can't she?" 

"She's gonna be a famous dancer...she already choreographs stuff for small companies. It's only a matter of time before she gets noticed by bigger companies, and starts choreographing for them, too. She's too good for me." 

"She's not too good for you. You're the daughter of an ex-Yakuza - okay, that sounds bad, but I'm trying to say that you're not too poor to her. Just flirt with her a little more." 

"Unofficially adopted daughter, first of all."

"Daughter in dad's eyes." 

"Yes, but..." She sighed. "You don't understand." 

"You won't be saying that when you're waking up to Momo snoring every morning~" I teased, and she stuck her tongue out at me playfully. 

"I wish." 

We cooked in silence for a little while, until the food was ready. Mina took the first bowl of seafood out to the table, and I grabbed Tzuyu's ramyeon. I tasted it the entire time I was cooking it, and I knew it was amazing. I got Mina's opinion, and even she said it was better than what you can buy in the store. I bit my lip, calming myself down before meeting my lovely wife in person for the first time. 

"You'll get used to seeing her if you help me take out some food. You'll be less nervous, and I'm already tired." 

"Oh! Yeah, sorry Minari!" I yelped, setting down Tzuyu's ramyeon. 

I carried a plate of lobster and a plate of meat to set down on the table. I held my breath, knowing I'd see my future wife again. 

"It's okay, Sana." Mina calmed me down as if she could read my mind. "You'll be fine. You're gorgeous. She's gonna see that." I nodded, and followed Mina out of the kitchen. I saw my little Tzuyu's head still down, so I didn't try going over to her side of the table. I was worried that she thought I was a bad person... Mina and I went back into the kitchen. "Now you just have to bring Tzuyu her ramyeon." 

"Can you do it?" I whined. "She seems upset."

"Being given food by her future wife would make her feel less upset." 

"Mina, please-"

"She's your future wife." She shrugged, taking the last of the food out. I was shaking in nervousness...my poor Tzuyu. She's probably scared of me. I'm just a rich girl in her eyes. I bit my lip, leaving the kitchen with her ramyeon. Mina stood by the table, waiting for me to give Tzuyu the ramyeon. She shot me an encouraging smile, and I approached my poor Tzuyu's side. 

"U-Umm..." My voice cracked, and she looked up. She was even more gorgeous in person... Her long hair was straightened, and she wore make-up that really brought out her chocolate eyes. Her dress was cute, but it didn't seem to fit her personality, from what I was told. Then again, she looked like she felt kind of exposed in that sleeveless dress. It barely made it past mid-thigh on her when she was sitting, and we was crossing her legs and looked kind of ashamed. I felt kind of bad for my adorable future wife, but I couldn't speak, so I set the ramyeon in front of her and went to take my seat next to my father. Mina turned to leave and go back into the kitchen. She always made extra when we had guests, so she could eat as well. "Excuse me." I got up and bowed before anyone even touched their food. I ran back into the kitchen.

 


 

Sana was more beautiful than I had imagined... Her long brown hair was curled, and she wore surprisingly light make-up for a rich girl. Her pink lips were plump and cute, and even though I couldn't see her eyes very well, but they seemed to sparkle. She wore a dark purple cardigan over her long dress, which was white at the top, and layered white and black all the way down to her ankles. She seemed shy, but who isn't? You're meeting the person you'll be with for the rest of your life. But then again, she only looked nice. She might not be that nice of a person, since she has probably had everything handed to her since she was young. She lived an easy life. I doubt she ever even considered working for a living...Her looks mean nothing. She's still a spoiled rich brat. 

I looked down at the ramyeon. I was grateful that the maid took her time to cook for me. She was really kind. I wish I had to marry her instead. I'd be a lot happier. Sana is more my style, but Mina clearly had a heart, and was kind. Genuinely kind. She seemed to care for me. She asked if I wanted anything, and she noticed that I was upset. Maybe, just maybe, I can squirm my way out of marrying Sana, and marry Mina instead. Mr. Minatozaki said that she was like a daughter to him, anyway.