❀ Chapter 8: What the Heck ❀

Devil Dancer Next Door || 엑소 카이
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So early in the morning and you greet me with that kind of expression."

Joohyuk shook his head as he walked pass by you. You stared blankly at the counter where you move the cloth back and forth. 

"Aish, this girl."

"YAHHH!" 

Your eyes widened as Joohyuk's deep voice got higher. You looked at him with an irritated face.

"What the heck is wrong with you?"

"No. What the heck is wrong with you?" Joohyuk fired back, glaring at you. You rolled your eyes and went back to cleaning the counter even though it's already shining.

The front door opened and Tiffany walked in with a grin until she saw you.

"Do you know what is wrong with this dog?" Joohyuk asked Tiffany as he pointed at you with his lips.

"It's the dancer she's living with. He's still not back and hasn't called yet." Tiffany answered with a shrug as she began working on the tables.

"So what?" Joohyuk said frustratingly, mopping the floor more aggressively than usual. 

"It has been weeks, Hyuk! Her aunt told her that he'll be back before Christmas. New year has already started and he's still not back." Tiffany explained, completely tired of answering.

"But--"

"Please stop asking me. I'm not in the mood." 

Joohyuk was surprised that Tiffany wasn't hyper today but immediately looked back at you. You look like you've been to a funeral. 

"Argh! I can't work with you people." Joohyuk muttered as he walked back to the locker room.

You sighed as you look at your phone for new messages. 

9:35 am

From: Oh Handsome Sehun

Goodmorning, lovely! Goodluck with work today. :)

You smiled, clearly happy with his message. 

You and Sehun have been hanging out often these past few weeks. He was so fun to be with that you always forget the time. For 5 times already, you climbed up the gate since you get home an hour after 9 when you hang out with Sehun.

Sometimes, you two just walk around the city and eat street foods. Or stay at a 24-hour store to eat ramen and drink hot chocolate while you tell stories about each other.

Since Sehun was close with your dorm-mate, you also asked him if Kai told him where he went but he didn't know too. He just knew that Kai told him that he'll be gone for a couple of days.

Sehun even said that Kai didn't manage to attend the general practice for their new concept at DanWiMu. 

Honestly, you're worried about him. You haven't been really good to him before he left. But you really want to reach out and be friends. Right?

Yeah sure. You're just guilty for being a rude person.

Tiffany nudged your shoulder harshly, trying to get you out of the trance you're having. You instantly jumped and blinked your eyes, focusing on the raging customer in front of you.

You haven't even noticed the woman in front of you. How stupid. 

How can you even let a person whom you don't even know that much, affect your life this much?

"Oh! I'm sorry for that, Miss. What's your order?"

The customer rolled her eyes on you as she told her order quickly with an annoyed voice. 

"Are all employees of this café like you? If that is the case, the owner should just close this place down--"

As she was blabbering her complaints, you just did her order fast than Flash and went back to the counter. You pushed the tray in front of her with a blank face.

"That'll be 6525 won, Miss." You told her as you entered her order, printing out the receipt. 

She snickered bitterly, shoving her money in front of you. You took it without breaking your eye contact with her. She looked away and took her tray, getting out of your sight.

"What a ." You whispered with a smirk. You smiled at the next customer.

"Yes, can I—"

The boy grinned at you, making you remember home. 

His eyes twinkled showing the happiness he's feeling at the moment. His hands seeking for warmth inside his cozy jacket, the one you gave him last Christmas. His cheeks, still as rosy as you can remember. 

"—t-take your order?" You stuttered as you felt a tear dropping on your cheek. Tiffany saw you almost breaking down at the counter, she moved away from the window and ran towards the cashier area. 

"I'll take it from here." She whispered at you. You nodded thankfully at her, walking towards the back door. You opened the door, sensing him following you.

You put your arms around him as you saw him come out of the door. He laughed at your action and hugged you back like he never wants to let go of you again.

"Why didn't you tell me?" You sobbed at his chest. 

"What? Are you crying because I've come back? Are these tears of joy?" He wiped the tears on your cheeks. You punched his arm.

"YAH! You should have told me you're coming back, so I could have prepared something for you or took the day off to pick you up." You pulled away, calming yourself down. He held your hands.

"You know that I like surprising you, right? Why would I tell you then? Where would be the thrill in that? OUCH!" 

You hit him on top of his head with a pout. 

"You can't do that to your sister! That's bad. For your info, my brother, I'm older than you. Have some respect!" You told him playfully causing him to cower like a puppy.

"I'm sorry." 

Your smile slowly became a straight thin line. 

You knew it wasn't for his behavior.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter