❀ Chapter 22: Baby ❀

Devil Dancer Next Door || 엑소 카이
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Mr. Zhang."

Your father grinned as he entered the luxurious restaurant, instantly seeing the young man waiting for him. He walked towards the assigned table as he was led by an employee.

"Mr. Kim, it's a pleasure to meet you again." Mr. Zhang sat down as Kai just smiled. "I'm certain that you're surprised by my invitation?" He chuckled, grabbing his glass of wine.

"Yes, I was. I assume you have an important matter to tell me, Mr. Zhang." Kai calmly said, raising a hand to a waiter, who just nodded before getting to work.

"My daughter..."

As Mr. Zhang said those two words, Kai couldn't help but to let out a sigh.

"I was about to make an appointment with you too, Mr. Zhang. It's about that matter too. I apologize but before you say anything else, will you let me speak first, Mr. Zhang?" Kai slightly bowed as he pleaded. Mr. Zhang was aghast with the young man's action and words.

"I-It's fine, Mr. Kim. You may." 

Kai sighed in relief before looking at your father in the eyes.

"I want to end our agreement, Mr. Zhang."

Mr. Zhang's eyes widened as Kai bowed again. 

"I know my brother asked for your help before he left, in return, I did what you wanted." Kai recalled what happened. "Our company was falling on the ground when one of our trusted employees stole half of our stockholdings. My older brother, Soohyun, has already booked a flight for business in France when that happened, that's why when I heard about it, I didn't hesitate to reach out." 

Mr. Zhang listened attentively as Kai told him the past events that happened.

"And I met you since father told me you would help. You did." Kai chuckled, nodding to himself. "But for one condition."

"Make my daughter come back if you want me to help you." Kai breathed out as he spoke. "That's what you said. I didn't know she was a grown up already, so I accepted." Kai slightly smiled at your first encounter. You on the ground as you reach out for your dog, as it runs towards him. 

"I was desperate as my brother back then, accepting everything you say since our company was at risk and you're the only certain hope we had." 

Kai grabbed his own glass of wine, taking a careful sip on it.

"But I want to stop now."

Mr. Zhang looked at Kai, clasping his hands together after he put down his glass of wine.

"Do you have any reasons why you want to end it?" He calmly asked.

Kai immediately thought of you. How you'll react when you find out that he met you not coincidentally but on purpose. How he agreed on keeping an eye on you with a desperate reason. How he's staying in the same dorm because it made his work so much easier. How he used that advantage to keep their company balanced.

He felt awful.

It's like he used you to save their company.

"I..." Kai started as Mr. Zhang didn't move his eyes away from him. "I don't like to see her hurt."

"I lied to her and I'm still doing it. I don't want to continue this anymore. Before she knows about this agreement, I want to cut things off with you. When she knows about this, she'll think that she's been used for the sake of our company. I know she will think that. That's why I want to clear everything before that happens." Kai looked away, ashamed of his past decisions. 

"She'll think that I'm staying with her because I need to." Kai mumbled, voice getting lower as he thinks of your disappointed and sad face. 

"She needs to know that I'm staying with her because I want to, Mr. Zhang."

Mr. Zhang was silent as the young man stared back at him again. He was observing how Mr. Kim spoke and he knew now.

"I understand." Kai's eyes widened as Mr. Zhang replied. "But for one condition..."

"Anything, Mr. Zhang."

"Don't tell anything to my daughter. She'll hate me. Now that she's opened up to me again, I don't want that happening."

Kai stopped for a moment before speaking.

"I won't, Mr. Zhang."

"Can you tell me everything?"

"I want to know, Kai."

"I can't."

"O-Okay."

How painful it is for him when you pulled away from his embrace.

But he needs to keep his lips zipped if that's what your father wants.

"Going back to the matter I was concerned, I was planning to marry off my daughter to ensure her future."

His heart was broken as he remembered your father's words that he can't go against to.

He can't speak about how he really feels for you if your own father has his own plan for your future.

It will be very unfair for you.

But he knew he'll do anything for you.

♫ ❧ ♫ ❧ ♫ ❧ ♫ ❧ ♫

"Noona!"

Taeyong warmly welcomed you, embracing you as he opened the car door.

"Tae." You greeted, patting his head.

"Welcome home, my dear." Aunt Ji Hyo said as she guided you inside the house.

"Why have you suddenly decided to—"

"Do you want me here or not?" You cut Taeyong off as he asked. He just pouted and followed you like a puppy.

"It's good that you got fetched early. Don't you have work for today?" Aunt Ji Hyo asked as she led you to your room.

"My manager's kind enough to let me off the hook for a day. I texted him already." 

"He's a good man then. Is he handsome?" Aunt Ji Hyo wiggled her eyebrows playfully.

"Oh! Is that the guy who has a girlfriend already?" Taeyong asked as he ran towards your door and opened it for you.

"Yes, Tae, he is." You said as you chuckled. Your mood was brightened up a bit but that doesn't mean you're fully okay now.

"Let your sister rest for a bit. Come on." Aunt Ji Hyo walked to the door as you've settled down on your bed. "I'll just send Taeyong to call you later when lunch is ready, okay?"

"Yes, thank you." You smiled at her before she closed the door. You eyed your surroundings.

"Still the same." You mumbled, standing up to arrange your things.

You suddenly remembered what happened earlier.

"You're leaving?" Aunt Sunny asked, tears are in her eyes already. 

"Yes, auntie. I'm sor—"

She hugged you tight as if you'll never see each other again.

"I'll miss you! This girl!" Aunt Sunny cried, sobbing on your neck. You lightly laughed as the two young tenants got down the stairs.

"Good timing, you guys. I want to say my farewell to you all." You said to Sanha and Eunwoo. 

"What?! You're leaving, noona?! What about Ka—"

"Is that so? Why though, noona?" Eunwoo cut the younger off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter