Chapter IX

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER IX

**YERIN**

I’m just a few hours into this job and I’m already questioning my decision of being here. I don’t know what’s with me that the world seems to hate so much. It’s like all misfortunes are suddenly aimed at me for no reason at all and to say I’m a bit unhappy would be understating it.

I averted my gaze elsewhere when I realized she still had her eyes fixed on me. It had been like that for about fifteen minutes now if I’m not mistaken and it is not helping me one bit. Her presence inside this room is already terrifying enough and she just had to intensify it with that penetrating gaze that looks like her eyes are boring holes into my skin. I can’t even tell what she’s thinking. It’s either that or I just don’t want to admit it to myself that she’s probably judging me.

Of course, out of all the time Jimin could have chosen to leave, it had to be now. He could have at least shared this awkwardness with me. But no, he had to dump everything on me with only a peace sign to offer before walking out the door. I’ll have to remind myself to make him pay for this if I ever see him again which will be soon considering he’s a close friend of Taehyung. For that, I’ll have to think of something sinister as payback. Being left here is no easy job. Why? Well, correct me if I’m wrong but I have just been caught straddling a boy’s lap and what’s worse is that the person to witness it just had to be the boy’s mother.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. I am that unfortunate.

Taehyung cleared his throat from beside me and I could see he was trying to cut through the awkwardness among the three of us only to no avail. His mother didn’t even acknowledge his presence and was still keen on staring intently at me. Now, I just felt even more self-conscious.

I played with the hem of my dress as I looked down, deciding the patterns on the fabric I’m wearing is much more interesting than meeting the gaze of the woman in front of me.

“So, mom, what brings you here?” Taehyung attempted once again. I couldn’t quite see him from my view but I could tell he was holding his breath like me.

“I thought you wouldn’t be back from Busan until tomorrow.”

Her mother continued to ignore him and I almost felt my breath hitch. So much for breaking the awkwardness. Nice try, Taehyung.

I reckoned now must be my time to do something, anything. I cleared my throat, quietly and yet loud enough for them to hear and I could see it worked a bit. Taehyung’s mother seemed to have snapped out of whatever she was doing and squared her shoulders.

Oops…

She mimicked my sound with her own and it was then I realized I must have either pissed her off or simply caught her attention. My fingers are crossed that it would be the latter.

“Well…” she began and I sat straighter than I have before. Her voice was soft and mellow compared to Taehyung’s. In fact, she doesn’t even sound terrifying. She only looks like it with her piercing eyes but when you only listen, she could come off as someone as sweet as Yuna. Well, what was I even thinking comparing Taehyung’s voice with her mother’s? Of course, it would be different. Taehyung’s a boy and his mom’s a girl.

Wow, Yerin. You’re really smart.

I mentally slapped myself as I rolled my eyes. This tension is making me think weird things.

“Excuse me?” I heard Taehyung’s mom say. I looked at her direction and I wondered if she was talking to me or to this boy beside me but basing on where her eyes were directed, I’d have to say it would be me she’s talking to. She must have misunderstood the rolling eye thing I just did.

“Sorry. I was thinking to myself,” I apologized, giving a small bow. I didn’t know if she accepted it or not because I haven’t held my head back up after the bow, somewhat scared to see he reaction.

Nice going, Yerin. You just pissed her off all the more.

“Anyway…”

I released a quiet breath when I heard how she dropped the topic but I took in another one when it dawned on me that something’s going to come up next and I might not like it.

I looked up and met her gaze to let her know I’m listening. Coming off as rude would not be of an advantage for me. Not now, at least. This person I’m dealing with isn’t someone to mess with…I think.

“You might already know it but I’m Taehyung’s mom, Kim Nari. And you are?”

I stirred nervously for a second, unsure of what to do, before I composed myself and stood up, offering my hand for her to shake. “Jung Yerin. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Kim.”

She accepted my hand and shook it gently. I was secretly praying she didn’t notice how hard it was shaking. Well, if she did notice, she must have paid it no mind for after releasing my hand, she gave me the sweetest smile I have seen from her so far. I swore I would have melted if possible. Immediately, all the anxiousness I had from her presence went away, carried by the calming breath I released.

“Yerin-ssi, you must be a close friend of Taehyung. He rarely invites people here if they aren’t his best of friends.”

“I…” I was about to respond but Taehyung cut me off as he pulled me to sit back down beside him and resting his arm over my shoulders.

“She’s my classmate, mom. We’re partners in this research project we have.”

I turned to Taehyung with a raised brow and he just looked at me with a smile before returning his gaze back at his mother who had a look I couldn’t quite describe. Unbelieving? Amused? I don’t know.

“Research, huh? And is this research about the reactions a man makes when a woman sits on his lap?”

My jaw almost dropped upon hearing her words and I quickly slapped Taehyung’s hand away from my shoulders before creating a comfortable gap between us. To say I am embarrassed would be understating it. I must have looked like a red tomato by now. I could feel the heat emanating from my face and I know Taehyung’s mom noticed because when she turned to me, her grin just got wider.

Couch, swallow me now.

I could tell Taehyung was also caught off guard. He, too, was definitely not expecting that. In fact, I thought we were all over that incident after those fifteen minutes or so of silent awkwardness. It turns out I am completely wrong. She just wouldn’t drop that humiliating topic that easily.

“I…I mean we…uhmmm…we…” I struggled to reply for Taehyung’s stead but no words and reasonable ideas seem to come to my mind.

Mrs. Kim beckoned me to stop with her hand before she stood up. I followed her with my gaze, step by step until she reached the empty space on the couch to my right. She sat there without much concern about proximity and even threw and arm over my shoulder causing me to flinch a bit. “You see…” she began while pulling me closer. “You really don’t have to explain yourselves.”

I stared at her with a questioning look as I tried to take in what she was trying to say only to no avail.

She grinned at me, the kind where I know something I wouldn’t want to hear is coming next.

“We have a room at the other hallway where you could continue.”

I stared agape. How am I supposed to respond to what she’s implying? She’s literally encouraging us to…do stuffs.

“And no one’s going to hear or bother the both of you. I’ll make sure of that.”

She was wriggling her eyebrows as she was telling me that and it was then I began to question if she was really Taehyung’s mom or I’m older. I mean moms don’t just allow their son to…you know what I mean.

“Mom!” It was Taehyung who reacted first by standing up to walk over to face his mom but the latter only shrugged and removed her arm from my shoulder to lean back on her seat.

“What? I’m just suggesting. You can’t blame me for getting excited over the fact that my son’s growing up.”

Taehyung’s eyes formed into slits and he pointed at the door. “Out. Now.”

“Geez, relax. There’s no need to be so stern now,” Mrs. Kim replied, holding up her hands in surrender before standing up to match Taehyung’s height with only a few inches in difference. It’s only now I noticed how tall Taehyung’s mom is. That must have been why he, too, was blessed with a tall frame.

“Get out, please,” Taehyung made himself perfectly clear as he placed an arm over his mom’s arm and turned her around to the direction of the door.

“Oh, you don’t have to be so excited. I’ll be leaving you guys to yourselves anyway. I don’t want to get in the way with…well, you know,” she teased, shaking off the arm from her shoulders before she walked her way to the door but she didn’t go out immediately. She turned to look at me one last time and gave a wink- a teasing one. “Have fun.”

~~~~~

Silence came after the doors closed. Neither of us wanted to say anything. I was too flustered and Taehyung seemed to also be shaken by the embarrassing moment we had with his mom. His cheeks were tinted a bit of red although it wasn’t that visible. If he was abashed, he was doing quite well with masking it. With his cheeks excluded, his face was somehow showing no reaction at all. Props to him for that.

“So…” I began to break off the deafening silence. “What now?”

Taehyung must have taken my question the wrong way because his eyed bulged out when he turned to look at me. Instantly, I waved my hands to dismiss the thought.

“No. It’s not what you think. I was…I just…I…”

He caught on quite quick with what I was saying even if I didn’t succeed in putting it into words because he nodded his head and plopped himself on the couch where his mother sat a while ago. He rubbed his temples and leaned back on the seat. He looked stressed out all of a sudden.

“Is something wrong?” I voiced out in concern. Of course, I still hate him for all the cockiness and annoying attitude but still, this side of me that always like to worry for others can’t help but kick in when needed. “Do you have a headache? Can I get you some medicine?”

He rejected my offer with a shake of the head and I nodded. There’s no need to push my offer to someone who doesn’t want help.

Another moment passed with neither

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter