Chapter XIX

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XIX

**YERIN**

I tried to distract my thoughts by gazing at the various paintings hung on the wall as we walked across the mansion’s hallways, me in tow of Taehyung’s grandmother with her bodyguard directly behind us like he was some kind of tail.

I felt my heart thumping so fast in my chest and beads of sweat began to form on my forehead amidst the centralized air-conditioning inside the place. I know where we’re going since she told me we’ll be talking at her private office but what I have no idea about is what we’re going to talk about. I just hope I don’t humiliate myself in front of her, not for Taehyung’s sake but for my own.

I was so busy with my thoughts that I hadn’t realized we already arrived at the said place until Taehyung’s grandmother spoke up.

“Daesuk, please watch over the door for us. Yerin-ssi and I will be needing some privacy.”

A single bed of sweat dropped to my chin and I accidentally swallowed the lump in my throat that I didn’t know I was holding upon hearing her statement. She wanted privacy which meant it’ll only be the two of us inside. Talk about major stress.

“Yerin-ssi.”

Taehyung’s grandmother turned to me with a nonchalant look and motioned for the door which she held open for me. Albeit hesitant, I reckoned it wouldn’t be better if I refuse so with gradual and tensed steps, I made my way in with my sweating hands fidgeting on either side, lightly soaking the dress I borrowed from Yuna. I reminded myself to wash the piece of clothing thoroughly after tonight. It would be embarrassing if I return it smelling of sweat.

I continued walking toward the center of the room as I heard the door close behind us.

“Please take a seat, Yerin-ssi.”

I tensely looked around, looking for the right seat to sit in, before I opted to settle myself in the single-person couch on the right side of the center table. The location was a distance away from what seems to be the table of Taehyung’s grandmother where she usually works. It was only upon looking at it that I realized my mistake.

I should have taken the seat by her table.

I faced Taehyung’s grandmother and I could see it in her face that she was expecting me to follow her to her table but nodded slightly anyway before she walked over to take the seat opposite mine.

I almost slapped myself in the face at how stupid I was to take the couch. Now, she must think of me as someone looking for the more comfortable seat since this couch is obviously more cushioned compared to the one near the office table.

“Would you like some tea, Yerin-ssi? Perhaps, coffee or some juice?”

I nervously waved my hand and faked a small laugh. “I’m fine. I’m still full after that dinner we had.”

I realized how awkward I must have looked so with my head bowed, I observed my companion’s reaction under my lashes and hoped that it’ll be a good one.

“I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the meal,” she replied before doing the most unexpected thing, smiling.

I blinked a few times to fathom what just happened. I still could not believe what I’m seeing. In front of me is none other than Taehyung’s strict-looking grandmother, grinning at me with utmost sincerity.

“Uhh…y-yeah.”

I was at a loss of words. My mind was mentally breaking down at the sight before me. I couldn’t even think of a proper reply. The only thing that kept repeating in my mind are the words ‘Taehyung’s grandmother just smiled at you.’

“Yerin-ssi? Are you alright?” she leaned in from her seat and tried to reach out to me with her hand, her face scrunching in worry.

“I’m fine, Mrs. Kim. I was just thinking about something else. Sorry.” I gave her a low bow as an apology over making her worry for nothing to which she dismissed by waving her hand.

“Don’t worry about it. I thought for a second you weren’t feeling well after eating the food back at dinner. Also, please don’t bother calling me Mrs. Kim. It makes me feel so regal when in fact, I’m not. I prefer you call me eommoni instead.”

I almost choked at my own saliva at what I just heard. If this isn’t a dream, then it would be the second time around that a member of Taehyung’s family asked me to address them as if I belong to their family. The first would be his mom and now, his grandmother? This could not be real.

“Ah but I really should call you Mrs. Kim. It would be rude of me to call you eommoni when I’m not even part of the family.”

Mrs. Kim gave a light chuckle and continued smiling at me, something that still disturbs me after judging her as someone like those rich authoritarian grandmothers from the Korean dramas I watch on television. My brain still could not comprehend how sweet she is acting now, absolutely contrary to how she presents herself in front of people. I’m sure I’m not the first one to have the wrong first impression on her. There must have been a lot of us already.

“Right. The wedding won’t be until December but still, it would be better if you familiarize yourself with us already. That way, it’ll be easier for you once you finish saying your vows with Taehyung.”

I nervously laughed at her statement, not exactly knowing what to reply. With all honesty, I wasn’t expecting her to bring up the topic about our marriage this early into the conversation. It turns out she’s that kind of person who likes to talk directly to the point.

“Still-”

“Aw, try it. I’d like to hear you call me eommoni. I did always want a granddaughter but my son just had to give me only Taehyung. So, please bear with this old lady’s simple request.”

A hint of tenderness washed over me and I immediately found myself whispering the word ‘eommoni’ to which Taehyung’s grandmother responded with a pleased look, as if the mere mention of the word just made her entire day.

“See? That’s a lot better than Mrs. Kim.”

I gave her a timid smile and she retorted with her own.

“Now that that’s settled. Let’s talk about the real reason why I brought you here.”

**TAEHYUNG**

I stared at my dad like he just grew a second head. I could not be hearing right.

“She’s with eommoni?” I clarified and dad bobbed his head.

.

I was about to run off inside but was stopped when I felt dad’s grip on my arm.

“Don’t worry. You know your grandmother. She always dreamed of having a granddaughter. She won’t harm Yerin-ssi. Besides, she told me a while ago that she had a good feeling about her. You don’t have to be so protective.”

“I know. It’s just that…”

“What?”

I hesitated about continuing my sentence for a second before opting to do so anyway, thinking it would be better to let dad know of Yerin’s case.

“Yerin gets nervous easily and she sometimes hyperventilates when it gets too much. I mean she was already looking at eommoni with much apprehension ever since we got here. It wouldn’t be surprising if I say that she’s probably sweating a lot now and is overthinking everything.”

I was immediately sent back to the memory of what happened to Yerin back at the mall when she got in that embarrassing situation and she suddenly felt choked by the stares she was receiving. Of course, now, she’s only dealing with one person, my grandmother, but heck, that old lady’s gaze alone is enough to make people cower in fear but in fact, she’s really just a soft and kind-hearted woman, trapped inside that intimidating appearance. I would have told Yerin about that way before we got here but the way she got anxious and fidgeted in her seat was way too amusing.

“Don’t stress over it. She’ll be fine. I’m sure your grandmother just wants to get to know her better.”

“You’re right.” I finally gave up, flashing a weak smile at my dad. “I hope whatever it is that they’ll be talking about won’t be too deep.”

“I doubt that,” dad replied and gave me a light pat on the back before pulling me by the shoulders

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter