Chapter XXXVI

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXXVI

**YERIN**

Had it been a normal evening, I would have gawked at the night view of Gangneung. The city shined oddly brighter tonight than yesterday. It looked so breathtaking that I frowned deeper, knowing that it’s only mocking me as our situation as of the moment really does not call for sightseeing. An hour has passed but Eunha’s whereabouts remain a mystery.

 

SinB managed to call Yuna and thank God she answered within the first ring. She’s now on her way back with Jungkook. It doesn’t take much for me to picture what she must look like now that the news of her best friend missing just came to her.

 

“They’re here!” Hoseok-oppa shouted to call everyone’s attention. I may not be sure if he’s close with Eunha or not but ever since we arrived at the vacation house after ringing Yuna, he couldn’t peel himself off from the window, as if him standing there would magically make Eunha appear.

 

The front door burst open and we were greeted with a sight of a panting Yuna. Her face was red all over and her breaths came in ragged and short. She had one hand clutched to her chest while the other rested on her knee to support herself as she tried to keep herself standing. Jungkook emerged after, looking quite the same only that he seems a bit more composed than his girlfriend, probably because of his fitter physique.

 

Namjoon-oppa was the first one to approach the two. He handed out bottles of water to them (no one knows where he got it from) before he led Yuna to sit on the nearest couch with Jungkook in tow.

 

“Sorry. We just need to catch our breath for a while,” Jungkook said. He took a seat on the carpeted floor and opened the bottle of water in his hands before handing it over to Yuna, “We had to run from the bus stop all the way here because some accident took place and taxis couldn’t get through.”

 

“It’s alright. We⸺”

 

Namjoon-oppa couldn’t finish his sentence as Yuna suddenly stood up from her seat after gulping down the entire contents of the bottle and declared, “I’m going.”

 

“But Yuju, you just arrived,” Sowon-unnie blurted. Her face showed obvious concern for the younger girl like a mother would to her child who’s wanting to have a close-up photo taken with gorillas at a zoo. The only difference is that our situation isn’t as fun as strolling in some place that cages animals and displays them for money. Rather, it’s quite the opposite. One of us is missing and we have no idea where to start looking.

 

“I’m coming with you,” Jungkook said. His eyes were telling me that he’s feeling partly responsible for Eunha’s disappearance. I don’t know what they talked about last night. It may or may not have triggered something in Eunha to decide that it’s completely okay for her to wander off to who knows where.

 

Yuna shook her head and one could really see the shock and disappointment etched on Jungkook’s face.

 

“It’s okay. I’m okay.”

 

“Yuju, it’s dangerous. It’s already dark out and we don’t know much about the locals here,” Sowon-unnie interrupted but Yuna seemed persistent. She shook her head the second time around and faced all of us.

 

“Don’t worry. I can defend myself. Besides, I may have a built-in Eunha compass inside of me. I won’t get lost and I’ll bring my best friend back in no time.”

 

She said it like she means it but looking at the way her lips thinned after, I’m quite not sure if she, herself, believes what just came out of . There’s no telling where Eunha could be and what’s happening to her now. Yuna may have faith in finding her best friend but right now, I don’t think such would suffice. What we need is actual proof of Eunha’s condition, not some made-up conviction we hold in our minds alone.

 

“Yuju…” Jungkook breathed as he stared up at his girlfriend. His hands slowly made its way to hold hers which lie limp on her sides and he gave it a gentle squeeze that reminded me so much of Taehyung’s usual way of holding my hand. Is it like a man’s instinct to do that hand-squeezing thing?

 

Wait. Why am I even thinking about Taehyung? Now is definitely not the time to let my female hormones kick in.

 

Before I know it, I found myself staring at Taehyung’s hands that was only inches away from where mine was. He was sitting utterly close⸺ so close that I could even feel the heat his body was emanating. I don’t know though. Maybe I’m just being way too conscious with everything now that I kind of have this thing for Taehyung. Just ‘kind of.’ It is just a bit of a crush anyway. I mean for all I know, it could disappear later. I’ll give it a few days, two weeks the most.

 

I pushed my mind back to the present and saw that Jungkook and Yuna were now eyeing each other. No words were exchanged and none of the rest of the group bothered to intervene on the couple but from what I could tell, they’re basically communicating. It was a matter of seconds before Jungkook heaved a sigh and sagged on the seat.

 

“Fine but bring your phone with you and don’t put it in silent mode,” he said and Yuna’s lips hinted a bit of a smile, “You know, don’t you?”

 

Everyone grew silent (as if the room could be quieted more than it already is). We were all waiting for Yuna, anticipating her reply. I took the moment to observe each one of the group and from what I could tell, they seem to know what Jungkook was talking about. Are we all even thinking the same thing?

 

“I heard you two talking last night,” Yuna replied and if only it wasn’t so awkward to gasp, I would have done it but seeing how tension is building up in here, I decided to keep everything in my head instead. I wouldn’t want to ruin the moment now.

 

Jungkook nodded and everyone did the same afterward. Well, everyone except SinB who, I just noticed, looked clueless like that one person that was left out of a big secret from the group (which she kind of is). I fought the urge to laugh. She was looking from right to left, begging for explanation but Umji and Jimin who sat beside her didn’t bother to give one. Poor SinB.

 

“Wait a minute,” SinB finally interrupted. I guess she just couldn’t sit still, knowing she’s probably the only one who’s not getting anything. Even Yoongi-oppa who rarely interacts with people looks so well-informed which goes to say that Eunha really wasn’t that good with hiding her feelings. And she thought I was the only one who knew.

 

All eyes directed to SinB and she took it as her cue to go on asking, “What exactly does Yuju-unnie and the rest of you know that I don’t?”

 

The others looked so done with the world after SinB’s question. Had it not been for Jimin who took it upon himself to answer, no one would have even bothered to pay attention to SinB for longer.

 

“Eunha likes Jungkook.”

 

“WHAT?!” SinB literally jumped off of her seat and gaped so much that I was scared her jaw might drop, “How come I only know of that now?!”

 

Jimin rolled his eyes and so did the rest of the group. “There’s only one reason, actually.”

 

“And that is?”

 

“You’re just too dumb to notice.”

 

And that, ladies and gentlemen, begins another round of bantering.

 

“Yerin-unnie.”

 

I stopped paying attention to SinB and Jimin’s amusing quarrel and turned to the direction of the voice who called me out. It was Yuna.

 

“Do you mind if I ask you to come with me?”

 

I remained shock for a second before I found myself looking at Taehyung. I have no proper explanation on why I turned to him. It’s like my body reacted on its own without even asking my mind for permission.

 

“Don’t take too long,” Taehyung said like he was my dad. Really though…how come he knew what my action meant? Besides, do I even need his permission to go anyway? It’s not like we’re truly a thing.

 

Taehyung’s consent had me getting up to my feet and walking over to Yuna with my lips curving a bit upward. Now may not be the right time to smile but we sure need some positive vibes. The room’s feeling a bit stuffy with all this tension.

 

“I don’t know if I’m right but I’m guessing Eunha opened up to you about her feelings,” Yuna told me as soon as I reached the spot a few inches away from her. I nodded.

 

She let out a chuckle, “Figured she’d do that. Besides, there’s just something about you that makes you seem really trustworthy.”

 

That has to be a compliment.

 

I widened my smile and muttered a low ‘thanks.’

 

“Now, let’s go find little Eunha.”

 

*****

Eunha began playing with her chopsticks once more as she waited for another serving of sushi to arrive. She’s now on her fifth (or is it sixth) order but no matter how much she eats, her stomach seems to still be dissatisfied. She blames it all on her depressed state. She’s sure she’ll regret all these calories tomorrow but right now, she doesn’t even care about getting fat. All she wants is to devour food for comfort and possibly, for some miracle to happen and she’d find herself getting the answer she badly needs.

 

She knew deep in her guts that she never should have had her fortune foretold yet she still did. She was stupid enough to hope that something good was in it for her in the future. Ever since she acknowledged her feelings for her best friend’s boyfriend, she knew that nothing good will happen to her. She knew all she’ll ever get is hurt, disappointment, and anger for herself for being dumb enough to allow herself to fall for someone she could never have.

 

Another deep sigh escaped the girl’s lips as she pressed her chin harder into the wooden table. The group of high schoolers that was eating not far from where she is erupted in one more round of laughter and had she been in a better mood, she would have smiled but that is not the case now so instead of sharing their happiness, she felt herself sinking deeper into the pits of hopelessness and loneliness.

 

Yes, the psychic may have told her about a happy ending and that somehow ignited something in her, but it was one she could not get without hurting her best friend. There was a big sacrifice that she needed to make, and it is not something she’s willing to risk. She admits that she imagined herself being with Jungkook a few times before but never did it cross her mind that she’d actually do something to make it happen. Jungkook was Yuna’s and that is a fact she knows by heart. The sky has to turn blood red first before she’d even think about breaking her best friend’s heart for her selfish reasons.

 

“Ma’am, your order.”

 

Eunha broke free from her thoughts and faced the boy with a platter of sushi balanced on his hand. He gave her the usual ‘cheer up’ smile which she accepted with a small nod before she set her emptied plate aside to give way for the new one that’s filled with varying kinds of sushi. Her eyes were already feasting, and she thought that whoever said that food is the cure to all sadness deserves an award. Nothing beats good old sushi after all.

 

“Is it okay to take this, ma’am?” the waiter asked as he gestured at the empty plate on the side of the table. Eunha eyed it for a moment before she approved.

 

“Can you also bring me another glass of iced tea?”

 

The waiter stared at her, unbelieving if she were real. If he was correct, along with her sixth plate of sushi, her next glass of iced tea would have to be her eighth and not once did she even head to the restroom to dispose of all the food and drink she consumed.

 

“Sorry. I’m just not feeling all that good. I need to eat to make myself feel better.”

 

The boy gave her an apologetic look and she accepted it wholeheartedly. There was no denying about her miserable self after all.

 

“That but at least the food here is great. I’m sure it’ll somehow help lift your mood up,” he said before looking around for reasons Eunha did not have any idea about until he continued, “Do you want to talk about it? It always helps to let your emotions out verbally.”

 

She blinked. Could she even trust a complete stranger with something so crucial? She’d kept her feelings for Jungkook a secret from everyone yet here she is now, having the urge to spill everything out to a boy who has been serving her plates of sushi.

 

“It’s okay if you don’t want to. I’m⸺”

 

“No,” she suddenly blurted, and she realized that it was too late to take it back now that the boy seems to be waiting for her to go on. So, she lowered her face to stop him from seeing the growing redness of her cheeks. This has got to be one of her most embarrassing and awkward moment ever.

 

“I’ll talk.”

 

*****

“You mean to say you’re sulking here because of some petty fortunetelling?”

 

Eunha pouted which earned her another hearty laugh from the guy.

 

“It’s not petty. I’m sure she was legit.”

 

“Okay. Let’s say she is real. Does that change anything about your decision though?”

 

Did it?

 

That hit Eunha hard, making her rethink. He had a point. So what if the old lady saw something good for her? That shouldn’t change her mind. She already decided to let Jungkook and her feelings go. She already told herself to move on. She already chose her best friend. What’s stopping her now? Surely not some old lady’s words.

 

Eunha did not notice at first but when she saw the contented look on the boy’s face, only then did she realize that she was smiling. She was actually feeling quite happy.

 

“Now isn’t that better?” he asked to which she answered with a big yes in her mind. As of the moment, she felt like the weight of her dilemma has been completely lifted off her shoulders. She felt free and unburdened, things she never thought would come to her tonight after what happened back at the psychic’s house.

 

“Thanks. I owe you a lot. I’m hoping sushi would be enough.” She offered him her plate which she forgot about ever since they began talking. The guy was such a good listener that not once did she feel the need to stop blabbering about everything that’s going on in her mind.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter