Chapter XXXXII

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXXXII

 

**YERIN**

The school bell rang, indicating the end of the period which also goes to say that I’m free for the rest of the day as our professor for Modern Arts has cancelled his class for today due to matters unknown. Some of my classmates suspect it’s because he has a date with one of his co-teachers though. Well, I don’t really concern myself with what he’s up to. I only care about the free hours I get because of his absence and quite honestly, I could really use the time to get my head straight. Ever since I had the conversation with Johnny this morning which gave me the idea of Taehyung’s reason for staying with me despite Irene’s appearance, I had my mind occupied. Too many things were floating in my head that I feel like one more and my brain might explode.

 

I rubbed my temples as I was again reminded of the headache I got from too much thinking throughout the day. I don’t even know why I bore this pain when I didn’t even get anything reasonable out of it. I was not able to come up with any solution nor was I able to find something that could distract me from my thoughts.

 

“I never asked for this,” I mumbled as I craned my neck. Now, even my body’s reacting from the stress I’m putting on myself. I badly want to go home and lie in bed. At least then, even if I still overthink, my body could relax.

 

“I deserve a break,” I said, stepping out of the school building. It was still past two in the afternoon and today was extremely hot despite winter fast approaching. The sun was out and shining brightly throughout the day. It would have been warm today had the autumn breeze not alleviated the heat.

 

I covered my face from the sunlight with one hand, the other holding my backpack tightly to my shoulder, while I made my way down the stairs. As I walked though, the sight of a black Porsche caught my eye. I know it’s not uncommon here given this school’s reputation for having high-class students but excuse me for being the ignorant one. We don’t have those kinds of vehicle back in the neighborhood where I grew up.

 

I had my eyes fixed on the car that I almost had not noticed its doors opening, revealing a lady in the passenger seat. It took me a while of staring before I realized who the lady was.

 

“Mrs. Kim?”

 

**YUNA**

I looked at the bushes of roses in front of me to distract my thoughts and keep me levelheaded while I wait for Jungkook to arrive. I contacted him a while ago to ask him to meet with me. He had this special art class scheduled this afternoon, but he called it off just to make time for my demand. It sounds selfish on my part, but I just couldn’t think of anyone else to talk to about my ongoing thoughts on the situation concerning Yerin-unnie. Eunha is a possible candidate to listen to me rant, but she has two exams this afternoon. She can’t possibly concentrate with me pushing my worries to her.

 

“I would have surprised you from behind, but I figured you already have too much in your head to even give me a decent reaction.”

 

I looked back to see Jungkook behind me with two banana milks in his hands. “Legend says banana milk relieves stress,” he said, taking the vacant spot next to me and handing over one of the drinks.

 

I chuckled as I accepted the drink. Most of the time, Jungkook’s efforts in making me laugh are major failures that instead of reacting to the actual joke, I end up laughing over how lame it came out.

 

“And where did you get such information?” I tagged along his joke, allowing myself to forget of my worry even for just a while.

 

“The library?”

 

“Very funny,” I said in irony.

 

Jungkook sported a pout, trying to act all cute and really, I get that he wants to cheer me up, but he could have at least thought of a better way than this. Aegyo does not suit him at all especially now that he’s grown more fit after his continuous gym sessions every weekend.

 

“That wasn’t a joke,” he defended but I just rolled my eyes and waved him off. Even a child could tell what his intentions were with his words.

 

“Tell that to yourself.”

 

He guided his arm around my frame and pulled me closer. He then inhaled the scent of my hair, murmuring, “Strawberry,” which is surprisingly the flavor of my newly-bought shampoo. I know he hates it when I label him feminine for being sensitive to product scents but sometimes, I just can’t help myself although for peace’s sake between us, I learned to keep my thoughts to myself. I wouldn’t want Jungkook to end up working out for five hours straight in the gym again just because he wanted to prove his masculinity to me. He may like to call himself as a man but for me, he’s definitely still a boy…my boy.

 

“Why do you want to meet so urgently though?” he asked out of the blue, interrupting my moment of reverie while settling in his embrace.

 

He rested his chin on my head and we both stared at the distance, toward the bushes of roses that I previously found interesting.

 

“It’s about what happened yesterday,” I said, my tone suddenly sounding dejected. I can’t blame anyone though. Yerin-unnie detached herself from our group and I feel like most of it is my fault, from what I did years back to Irene and Taehyung’s relationship all the way to my irrational act of carelessly choosing Yerin-unnie to play a role of a pretender. I know people are subject to make mistakes, but I feel like I’m on an entirely different level. It’s like everything I do is a mistake on its own.

 

“Why? What happened?” Jungkook’s voice was filled with concern and I could tell he’s worried about the extent of my current problem, but I don’t want him to be. I don’t want him to think that he’s included in whatever problem I have. I just want him to listen. To let everything out is just what I need. In the first place, I did this to myself. I created the problem. No one else should be accountable for it but me.

 

“Yerin-unnie walked out on us after we went against her.”

 

Jungkook sat straight but the arm he had around me remained tight as if he’s thinking that letting go would mean I’d break into pieces. It’s not too difficult to tell that he always sees me as this fragile glass bead that could shatter so easily. And as much as I deny it, he may be right.

 

I stared into his eyes to find some comfort as I felt myself beginning to tear up. “She defended Irene and we just couldn’t bear to see her that way knowing she’ll probably end up being hurt,” I said, my voice cracking at the last word and before I felt the first tear slid down my face.

 

Jungkook looked at me with empathy, his eyes wanting to share my pain, and so, I broke our eye contact and looked away, suddenly regretting for calling him out when I perfectly know that I don’t want him getting too involved with my own troubles.

 

“Yuju,” he breathed, “Don’t do this to yourself. Don’t take all the burden. Didn’t we already agree that we’re sharing pain and laughter together? I don’t know if I already told you, but you know that you can always lean on me whenever you feel like breaking down. If you want, I’ll set aside my role as your boyfriend for a minute and I’ll listen to you simply just as a friend. So, please, open yourself up more to me. You may be able to do everything alone, but results are always better when you do it with a friend, right?”

 

I buried my face in my palms and sobbed, the tears now cascading freely down my cheeks. Crying had not been my agenda. The plan was supposed to be to just vent everything out through words, not tears.

 

Jungkook inched closer and turned his frame toward me before he wrapped his other arm around me, encaging me in a full hug. He pulled me to his chest and rubbed soothing circles down my back as he said in a hushed tone, “It’s okay. Everything will be okay.”

 

“I…I just can’t sit back…knowing…knowing that…that…there’s this…this huge possibility that unnie will…will be put at a disadvantage because…because of Irene. I…I put her in this situation…It’s my fault why…why she’s being troubled.”

 

My words sounded off as I continued to sob but I could care less. My heart has already had too much. I need to let some of my problems go even if it means being at my utmost vulnerability.

 

“What happened is not your fault. It’s nobody’s fault, Yuju. Fate made this happen. You had no part in it.”

 

“But—”

 

I was cut short when Jungkook suddenly pushed me gently by the shoulder and willed me to look at him. When I did, he heaved a breath and tightened his lips into a line, giving me time to relax.

 

“The world is unfair, Yuju. Sometimes one has to go through hardships to experience happiness and maybe, that’s exactly what is happening to Yerin-noona right now. She’s conflicted and is in a dilemma between wanting to trust Irene or not and there’s only little that we can do. And let me tell y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter