Chapter XXII

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXII

**YUNA**

The party I organized was just a small get-together. It wasn’t grand like what other rich people from school would throw every year. I do prefer mine this way- simple and cozy. I never did develop a liking to those huge hotel parties with high-class wine and expensive band music. As long as the people close to me are present, I could care less if we only have chips and soda as food and some music coming from our smartphones. The luxurious stuffs could never amount to the company I could get from my friends.

“You do know we still have time to leave and celebrate your birthday to ourselves, right?” Jungkook said as he wrapped his arms around my waist for a backhug. He was still on this protest about disagreeing to invite the others and he’s been at it for days now. I know he doesn’t mean it though. He’s a er for his hyungs. Once he gets together with them, he probably will even forget it’s my birthday that we’re celebrating.

“SinB and Umji are on their way.”

“We’ll be quick.”

I chuckled and removed Jungkook’s grip so that I could face him. I circled my arms around his neck and he smiled, possibly anticipating a kiss, but of course, a teasing wouldn’t hurt. Instead of giving him what he wants, I opted to playfully hit his already pouting lips before making a mad dash toward a safe distance away from him.

He was sulking by the time he realized what I just did, and I know he’s not one to tolerate such a teasing. Jungkook is the kind of person who doesn’t like to lose. What he wants is what he gets.

“Oh, you’re asking for it,” he said before running to me in a split second. I was fast to react and was already also on the run. My home’s huge garden became our arena as I continued to have Jungkook chase me. I know he’s going to catch me anytime soon anyway with his longer strides and faster moves but I’m not letting him win that easily. I have athletic skills of my own.

We were only a good two meters away from each other, Jungkook already reaching out his arm to catch me, when the glass doors that led to the back of the house opened, revealing SinB with her huge grin and Umji, who was beside her, smiling shyly as she usually does. I was caught up with directing my attention to them that I forgot about Jungkook for a second.

“Gotcha!”

A squeal came out of my mouth as soon as I felt Jungkook’s strong arms wrap themselves around me. This time, he’s making sure I can’t escape.

“You’re going to pay for what you did, you know,” he told me as he went in closer to my ear. If he saw the two arrived, then he’s doing a damn good job at ignoring them.

“Good day to you, too, disgusting couple,” SinB said as she walked past us. Umji was now behind her, and being the polite girl that she is, she gave a small bow as she passed. SinB stopped and turned to look back. “Happy birthday, unnie.”

“Good afternoon and happy birthday, Yuju-unnie,” Umji added.

Both girls went directly to a table at the center of the garden and made themselves comfortable after hearing a simple thank you from me. SinB began blabbering about her latest addiction to an electric skateboard and Umji just sat there, nodding as if she understood every word her friend was saying.

“I told you we should make a run for it,” Jungkook joked in my ear. I can’t believe he’s still pushing that.

“Shut up,” I said and hit him in the arm. Somehow, it became a habit of mine to inflict pain out of embarrassment. Jungkook doesn’t mind though. I’m pretty sure he can’t even feel pain with his muscles and all. Besides, no matter what I do to him, he seems to be fine with it. He soon let go of me, a smirk tugging on his lips.

“I’ll be here if ever you change your mind.”

I snorted. “Yeah, yeah.”

**YERIN**

“Are we there yet?” I asked for the nth time. I know I’ve been annoying Taehyung with the same question throughout our ride, but I can’t help myself. I’m way too excited to arrive at Yuna’s place. I’ve never been there before and obviously, I know it’s going to be grand, like all the houses of the students attending Gyeongjin University (except me, of course). Also, I can’t wait to give Yuna my present. It’s not much, just a simple green scarf (since Jungkook told me it’s her favorite color) I knitted throughout the course of two days. I’m certain she has a lot of this thing already. She could even afford those expensive ones displayed at malls, but it’s the thought that counts here. I could say that my present isn’t really the scarf itself. It’s the effort and the love that I put into making it. I have my fingers crossed that she’ll like it.

“How many times do you have to ask me that? Are you blind? Can’t you see the road ahead?” Taehyung answered. I focused my eyes at the sight in front of us and saw that we were still crossing streets and passing by buildings. Yuna is said to be living in a huge private lot in the outskirts of the city so, my question is actually answered indirectly.

I held up a peace sign to Taehyung and flashed him a grin, my eyes disappearing as I did so, giving him my signature eye smile that my friends used to admire from me. I learned over the years that this kind of expression always soften people’s hearts. It even gets me freebies at stores from time to time especially when the store owner is a sweet old lady who has a soft spot for young girls like me…

But of course, who am I kidding? This is Taehyung I’m dealing with. He’s never like the rest. He simply stared blankly at me for a second before he returned his attention back to driving. He didn’t even show a bit of a reaction, even just a change in his gaze. Nothing. Well, it’s not a shock for me anyway. He doesn’t even like me…as a friend.

I puffed my cheeks. It was worth a try. At least I’m made aware of the fact that there’s still less of a progress in my aim at reviving the old Taehyung. That sounds a bit disappointing though if I really think about it. Why, you say? Well, it’s because what I’m doing now, changing Taehyung, is to have his grandmother see that Taehyung is capable of reverting back to his old self without the need for marriage. That means I could get out of our contract and we all know I only have a few months left to save my soul. Yes, the job will be gone, but knowing that I helped Taehyung and his grandmother, in a way, I’ll be at ease. There are a lot of cafés or other businesses out there who might need my abilities later. I’ve been working part-time for years to know I’m capable of finding myself a job within a week or so.

“What’s so funny?”

I gave Taehyung’s question a puzzled look before I realized that I had been smiling the whole time I was thinking about my plan. I couldn’t help it. It was just too good of a plan.

“Nothing,” I beamed at him and he let out a disgusted grunt although I did see a smile tug the corner of his lips afterward.

~~~~~

“Yerinnie!”

I didn’t even have to look up to know who was calling me. There’s probably only one person in this world who addresses me by that nickname.

“SinB.”

Taehyung was the one who greeted her in return and I saw the way she glared when she realized I didn’t arrive alone.

“I wasn’t talking to you.”

I have to give it to her for being rude to her seniors. That’s SinB for you anyway.

If Taehyung was offended by her, he didn’t bother to show it. Instead, he shrugged his shoulders and moved ahead. “I’ll be with Jungkook if you need me.”

From what I can observe, the others haven’t arrived yet. There is only SinB, Taehyung, and I. Well, it doesn’t really surprise me if Jungkook’s already here too. Heck, he might have been here since yesterday or last week or last month. That guy sticks to Yuna all the time.

“Where’s Yuna?” I asked SinB once we were finally alone and there were no traces of an alien left behind.

“Do you even have to ask? She’s with Jungkook, doing God knows what.”

That made me chuckle. The way SinB phrased her words made it sound like Yuna and Jungkook are making miracles when in fact, they could just be sitting beside each other, talking casually. I can’t blame SinB though because even when those two aren’t really doing anything cringe-worthy, they always have that air of romance between them that people can’t ignore. That’s how I could tell they’re really meant for each other, like two butterflies destined to be together. I know. It’s not in me to be poetic but with Yuna and Jungkook, I just had to put it that way.

“I have to give this to her though,” I said while holding up the box that contained my handmade scarf. It was wrapped with a simple striped paper in colors white and gold and I coupled it with a gold ribbon for added fanciness despite the humble present inside. Knowing Yuna, she’ll appreciate anything. In fact, I could even picture her smile once she sees the gift. Imagining it, I could feel a surge of glee bubble inside me.

“Just place it somewhere over there.”

SinB pointed out a lone table at the center of the party area. I could see that there were already a lot of presents stacked there despite there only being a few of us. That led me to the conclusion that Jungkook must have bought a lot. That guy does have a ton of money to spare.

“I wanted to give it to her personally so maybe I’ll just wait.”

SinB shrugged. “Suit yourself. Anyway, I wanted to introduce you to someone. She’s not in any of our classes together but we’re of the same age and she’s the sweetest person you’ll ever meet. Her smile could melt your heart.”

Hearing SinB compliment someone that much felt absurd for a second but imagining who it may be, I could tell she must not be exaggerating and it gave a bit of a relief in me, knowing that I’ll be adding someone innocent (and hopefully normal) to my social circle.

SinB pulled me with her as we shuffled our way across tables and not long after, I found myself staring at a table occupied by a single girl. She had her back on me, so I can’t see her face yet but her straight semi-blonde hair was enough to give me a good impression. It was obviously well taken care of.

“Umji, I’d like you to meet, Yerin-unnie,” SinB proudly stated as she presented me in front of the girl once we were an arm’s length away from her. She had her head bowed then as she fiddled with her phone but once she looked up to meet our gaze, my gaze to be exact, she gave the sweetest smile that I can’t help but want to give her a tight hug even if we weren’t friends yet. That’s how cute and adorable she was. SinB really wasn’t overstating her definition of this girl.

“Hi,” I greeted with a small wave of my hand. “I’m Yerin. Jung Yerin.”

“Umji.” She stood up to give a bow. “It’s nice to meet you, Yerin-unnie.”

I don’t know what’s with me all of a sudden, but it seems like the more I stare at Umji, the more her face looks familiar like I’ve seen her somewhere before. My mind just wouldn’t cooperate with my suspicion and no memory of us meeting in the past would come out. I’m quite sure we’ve seen each other though. Schoolmates, perhaps? But I doubt that. I’ve been to public schools and knowing Umji’s rich, she probably didn’t go to school together with me then.

It may be the constant wonder that’s going on in my head that affected me much but when I sat down to one of the seats of Umji and SinB’s table, I think I saw Umji look at me the same way I looked at her- the look of question.

**YUNA**

A small frown made its way to my face as I read that text message sent by Eunha just a minute ago. Jungkook peeked his head over my shoulder to find out what changed my mood. I doubt he can read everything clearly though. His eyes have been failing him these days, a consequence he’s suffering after all the gaming he’s been doing ever since middle school.

“What did she say?” he asked. It’s clear he only read the ‘Eunha’ in the upper part of the screen since it’s probably the largest text there is.

“She’s going to be late. Their professor just asked to extend their class for another hour to make up for his absence last time. This . Why are they the one to adjust when it’s him who skipped a class? He should have just given an assignment or something. I mean it’s not their fault he’s behind his lectures.”

I was basically nagging now but I’m sure Jungkook doesn’t mind. He never does. He likes listening to me whether it be complains I have for certain things or simple talks I’d have about my new experiences. He always has an ear for me no matter what. He also makes sure he says something so as not to make me feel like I’m talking to dead air and that’s probably one of the reasons why I love him.

“I’m sure Eunha will do her best to come here though. She’s your best friend. She’ll never miss your birthday for the whole world,” he said while snaking his arms around me for a backhug. He seems to be doing it these days. I figured he might have liked a change in our usual cuddling ways.

“But still. I don’t want to start dinner without her.”

“What did she say?”

I deepened my frown. Jungkook knows. He knows Eunha told me to start without her and he wants me to say it, to admit it.

“That’s not fair.”

He tightened his hug on my frame and let out a light chuckle. I could feel his form vibrating against my back as he did so, and it somehow mad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter