Chapter XXVI

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXVI

**YERIN**

“You’re going to choke if you don’t eat slowly,” Taehyung stated as he watched me devour my food. His eyes were clearly amused that it made me think how he must have never seen a girl with a huge appetite like mine.

“I won’t,” I assured him before cramming a slice of steak in my mouth. Like every bite, I had the exact same reaction as I savored the tenderness of the meat and the wonders it did to my palate. I even heard myself moan unconsciously. I didn’t mind though and I’m sure Taehyung’s gotten used to all these unnecessary sound effects I do whenever I’m eating.

I heard Taehyung titter, so I looked up at him and flashed a grin with my steak-filled mouth. It caused his suppressed laughter to come out, and it was honestly refreshing seeing Taehyung in this light. Somehow, it promises me that what I’m trying to do- reviving the old Taehyung- isn’t out of reach. It’s not impossible. However, what I’m hoping most is that all these good times are helping him more than me.

“Is the food that good?” he asked, still pleasantly occupied by watching me munch on my food. I noticed that he hasn’t even touched his plate yet. The food won’t be that good if it gets too cold.

I nodded. “You should eat.”

He down at his food and to mine and his reaction tells me that even he himself didn’t notice that he hasn’t had a single slice cut off his steak while mine is halfway finished. It seems like me eating like a pig is so much of a sight that he even forgot his own hunger.

Taehyung didn’t answer. Instead, he grabbed his utensils and began slicing the steak. I shrugged his silence off and went back to my food. I was in the middle of shoving another piece into my mouth when a plate was slid over to my side. It contained half of the entire steak with all of the potato salad on the side. Puzzled, I looked up at Taehyung, but he decided to avert my gaze by cutting himself a piece of the small portion of steak he saved for himself in a little saucer.

“What’s this?” I asked although it was apparent enough that he’s giving me his food. It won’t hurt to make it certain. Who knows? Maybe he’s asking me to slice the steak for him.

“It’s steak, obviously,” he sarcastically replied while still not bothering to look at me and I would have rolled my eyes but the feeling of being swayed by his generous efforts reminded me to act kinder.

“What I meant was why are you giving me this? Didn’t you say you were hungry?”

He shrugged his shoulders and gently placed a cut-off piece of steak in his mouth, munching it quietly afterward. This was my hint. Taehyung is feeling shy at what he just did and he’s trying to act nonchalant about it.

I couldn’t suppress the chuckle that threatened to escape my mouth and it came out heartily, catching Taehyung’s attention.

“If you really want to give half of your food to me, you don’t have to be embarrassed about it,” I said before reaching over to cover Taehyung’s hand with mine. I felt him flinch a little at the sudden contact and I almost removed my hands had I not saw the way his eyes relax after a second. “There’s nothing wrong with being kind.”

Taehyung grew quiet. I guess he didn’t know how to reply to that. I squeezed his hand and smiled before completely removing my hand from his. The last thing I want is for him to shut me out again like he always does whenever he gets uncomfortable at being un-Taehyung-like.

“Thank you for the food, by the way,” I said and returned my attention back to the steak that was losing its warmth by the minute. Taehyung still didn’t utter a word although I know that in his head, he has a lot to say. He just can’t seem to make his mouth open and his voice be heard, not when he still doesn’t trust me enough to open himself up. I’m fine with that though. Opening yourself up to a person doesn’t take a few days or weeks. Sometimes, it could take months, years or even forever if I were to be pessimistic about it. I just hope the latter won’t be the case for Taehyung and I. The last thing I want is to be stuck with a cold alien for the rest of my life.

~~~~~

I was smiling as I stepped out of the car. Taehyung said he wanted to go see a movie and we both know what he wants is what he gets, so I just went with whatever it is he could think of as a way to kill our time- time that could have been spent in school, listening to class discussions.

“What’s that reaction for?”

I held my phone close to my chest. Taehyung doesn’t need to know.

“Nothing,” I lied although it was perfectly evident that it was not nothing. I have my fingers crossed that Taehyung would decide to drop it.

“Give me your phone.”

Of course, why did I even have my hopes up? He won’t. He’s Taehyung.

“No.”

He reached out his hand over to me, but I held my phone tighter. There’s no way in hell would I let him see the text Rowoon sent me. Yeah, we’ve been in contact with each other. We saw each other in the school’s cafeteria not long ago and he decided to give me his new phone number and I decided to give him mine as well. We often exchange texts every now and then, whenever we’re free. Well, it’s mostly him who’ll start the conversation anyway. I just go along with it since I do like talking to him.

“Give it to me,” Taehyung ordered. He was now using his stern tone, one that he usually goes with whenever he wants to scare me, but I’ve been putting up with him far too long to still be intimidated by it.

“No,” I repeated. That earned me a glare from Taehyung. Still, I didn’t budge.

“Yerin,” he began, sounding so fake with his sincerity. If I know, he just wants the phone. “Give me the phone.”

Taehyung must have noticed how futile his strict efforts were, so now he’s going for the kinder and more compassionate approach. Psh, there’s no way he’s fooling me. Taehyung and sincerity doesn’t go well together like oil and water.

“No and that’s final,” I said with much esteem before I started walking. It’s not only him who knows how to walk out, in case that’s what he’s thinking.

I heard Taehyung let out a deep breath, probably to calm his nerves after losing to me like that. His footsteps were heavy as he followed me behind and when I could feel him already getting near to my back, he stated, “I’m Taehyung. I don’t take no for an answer.”

I didn’t even have a second to react when I suddenly felt myself getting pulled back by Taehyung. I wasn’t able to fully grasp everything that happened because they all happened too fast. The only thing I did realize was that I felt something soft on my lips. Wait…

Soft…

Lips…

Taehyung…

WHAT THE ?!

My eyes grew as big as they could possibly be when my mind finally grasped what is happening. Taehyung has his lips on mine. We’re kissing for goodness’ sake! I just had my first kiss, which was supposed to be reserved for my forever partner, stolen by some idiotic alien who thought it’s completely okay to go around kissing a girl like it’s nothing. And it’s all just for a damn phone!

Taehyung broke away after a few seconds and I stood there on my feet, petrified, not knowing what to do or what to say. Should I throw a fit? Should I slap his face? Should I punch him? Should I feel thrilled?

Wait. The last one sounds wrong. That shouldn’t be in my options. Not at all. Why did I even come up with it?

Erase, Yerin. Erase. Scratch that thought.

“So, you’re meeting up with a guy tomorrow, eh?” Taehyung questioned. He sounded annoyed as he did so, and it was only then that I realized that he now has my phone. He grabbed it from me during the kiss. The nerve of this guy…He really went so far as to stealing my first kiss just to get his way.

“That’s none of your business. Give me my phone.”

I reached out to grab my phone from his hand, but he was quick to act on it. He dodged his arm away and took a single step back. I forwarded in return, but he extended his arm up since he’s aware of the massive difference in our heights. Damn him and his growth hormones for making him so tall…

“Is this the same guy we met back at the electronics shop? The flower boy?”

“You mean Jungkook?” I teased with sarcasm and I’m sure it irritated Taehyung even more because he narrowed his eyes at me and his lips formed a thin line. I mentally smiled at seeing him annoyed. I’m not letting him win that easily. Thus, our war begins again.

“Oh, you know I’m not talking about Jungkook. Answer me. Is he the guy?”

I gave up my effort on stealing back my phone when I realized I was too much at a disadvantage. Instead, I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest. “You should know. His name’s registered there on my phone.”

Taehyung sneered. “I didn’t know ‘Prince Charming’ with a heart emoji on the side is now a name.”

. I completely forgot about that.

I was probably glowing bright red by now as Taehyung looked at me with that smirk I wish I could slap off his face. He just found out my secret and it’s embarrassing as hell. How I wish the ground would swallow me and take me to some distant universe. This is too mortifying. Why did I even save Rowoon’s number under that name?

Yerin, sometimes, you should watch your level of stupidity, I noted to myself.

“Well, whatever. You can’t go with him tomorrow. I’m telling you not to,” he said, leaving me as he walked his way inside the theater but before he could completely disappear, he looked back and waved his hand that was holding my phone saying, “In case you aren’t aware of it, I don’t like sharing what’s mine.”

Huh?

I thought he already gave me that phone. Does that mean it was on installment all along?

**YUNA**

Our professor was talking loudly in front but I’m not hearing even a word of what she’s saying. My mind is still preoccupied by that article Eunha sent me. It was distressing to think about. It’s draining most of my energy. I feel like passing out. Maybe I should excuse myself and head out to the clinic. Jin-oppa will be happy to have me there. Plus, I could get my head straight there. Besides, there’s no use being in this discussion when I can’t even listen properly to what it is our professor is blabbering about. All I know is that she’s talking about poems and its elements, genres, and stuffs like that. This is a Creative Writing class after all.

I timidly raised my hand and it took a few second before Ms. Kwon noticed.

“Yes, Ms. Choi?”

“I’m feeling dizzy. I think I need to go to the clinic.”

That wasn’t entirely a lie though. I do feel quite light-headed.

Ms. Kwon thought about my request for a second before she gave a curt nod. “Very well. Just ask one of your classmates here for notes on today’s lecture. I’ll see you this Friday.”

Well, that was easy.

I could feel the envious gazes my classmates threw at me as I slung my bag over my shoulders and made my way for the door at the back of the room. Who wouldn’t be mad though? I just escaped a whole afternoon of talking about poetic people and their so-called works of art while they’re there, stuck with having to listen to Ms. Kwon for an hour more. It’s not like Ms. Kwon is a boring teacher. She’s fun and she makes class interesting. It’s just that Creative Writing is such a boring subject for me that not even a good teacher could make up for its lack of entertainment. I mean, yes, I often write songs, but do I really need to be lectured on how to formulate words and make them into statements with rhythm?

A sigh, which I did not know I was holding, escaped my lips as soon as I stepped out of the classroom. Somehow, a bit of the burden in my mind was lifted off although the annoying reminder of the article remained.

“You’re out early.”

I turned and saw Jungkook standing up from the nearby bench before he started making his way over to me. I didn’t know he was waiting for me outside of o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter