Chapter XVIII

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XVIII

**YERIN**

“I look funny,” I stated with a frown as I stared at my reflection while I stood in front of the large mirror inside Yuna’s dressing room. The days after Taehyung slept over in my place flew by so fast that I am now faced with the reality that it’s already Friday- the day. I’ll be meeting with Taehyung’s grandmother today and I don’t know whether I should be glad or scared although I’m honestly feeling more of the latter. Oftentimes, as I what I’ve seen on television, rich grandmothers are strict and intimidating. I don’t know about Taehyung’s though. She could be kind. At least, that’s what I’m hoping for but the odds of that being true isn’t that big. Taehyung’s attitude has to come from someone after all.

“Don’t say that. You look great. In fact, you look stunning. Everyone will be in awe once they see you,” Yuna assured me as she held me by the shoulders to make me stand straighter. I was currently wearing one of her many dresses and honestly, I gave the piece of clothing no justice. Instead of the doll-like appearance I pictured in my head, I look more of a clown than a doll.

“I look funny,” I repeated while I examined myself once more. The fit of the dress wasn’t all that ugly on me. The only problem is that I don’t know how to look good in it. I don’t think a dress this high-class is suited for me. I mean that white lace dress I showed Yuna wasn’t all that bad. It was unfortunate that she rejected it, saying it’s not good enough. Well, it’s the best one I have.

“Let Taehyung be the judge of that. We’ll see if he really does laugh once he sees you although I highly doubt it. You look like a doll wearing that dress.”

I snickered in my head. Yuna really knows how to make things better but I don’t think all these that she’s saying are enough to change my mind about the dress.

“Besides, the makeup looks so good on you, too,” she added, referring to her masterpiece. I do have to admit. Yuna did a great job with applying makeup on my face. I don’t look like myself or if I do, I’d say I look a hundred times better.

“Thanks,” I said to Yuna, giving her a small smile. “You really took the time to help me out.”

“Don’t mention it. I’m doing this by will because I want to spend some time with you. I want to get to know you more, unnie.”

She flashed me a grin to which I felt my heart flutter at. I’ve never had a friend like Yuna before. The friends I had in high school, although we hang out together, I don’t seem to feel much connected with them but Yuna’s different. We only know each other for just a month or so but I already feel like we’ve been together for years. She’s too good for someone like me but maybe, amidst all these misfortunes I have ever since agreeing to work for Taehyung, she’s that one blessing. Maybe I’m not as unlucky as I think I am.

“What did I do to have someone as good as you as my friend?”

Yuna placed a hand over her heart as she felt moved by my words. A blush was slightly evident on her face and she was smiling at me from ear to ear.

“I should be the one saying that,” she said before she encaged me in a tight hug. “You’re the best unnie I never had.”

We stayed embracing each other for a good minute prior to our moment being interrupted by a loud knock on the door.

“Oy! Hurry it up!”

It’s no wonder on who it could be. With that deep and booming voice and nasty attitude, I’d bet my life it’s Taehyung.

Yuna and I broke free from the hug and surprisingly, we both had the same annoyed look. In fact, I could say Yuna was more pissed by a bit. Her brows were knitted together and her lips formed a tight line as she glared at the door. She has been friends with Taehyung for years now but I noticed recently how she’s siding with me on everything even if I’m against the bratty alien. It’s not that I’m complaining though. It’s actually good to know I have someone like Yuna on my side.

Yuna stomped her way to the door, still glaring, and upon reaching it, she opened it with force. She blocked the doorway with her frame and prevented Taehyung from entering which means he can’t also see me.

“Who told you to come inside my room?”

“Step aside. We’re going to be late,” Taehyung demanded while he tried to shove Yuna gently to the side had she not pushed him back and stood firmer on her spot.

“You can’t come inside. This room is off-limits to someone like you. Besides, I was asking on who told you to come inside my room.”

I heard Taehyung let out a deep breath. I know then that he’s in no way in match of Yuna. Maybe because he sees her as his little sister and doesn’t want to fight or he’s being a gentleman not wanting to go against a girl although I highly doubt the latter since he’s always been so mean with me.

“Can you please just let me take Yerin now? We’re running late and you know how eommoni is with time.”

I can’t see their faces as they conversed since I settled myself in one corner, opting to observe than to interfere. I know Yuna’s going to win anyway. The girl has a way of making herself seem right all the time.

“Pssshhh…you’re just too excited to see Yerin-unnie­ in a dress. That’s why you’re making up excuses.”

I flustered upon hearing Yuna’s remark and I’m not sure but I could imagine Taehyung looking the same, not because it’s true but because what she said is purely embarrassing even if false.

It took a few second before I heard Taehyung snicker while he gently pushed Yuna to the side to give way for him to which Yuna surprisingly did not complain at. Instead, it looked like she even voluntarily stepped aside as a smirk graced her expression.

“Oy, woman…” Taehyung started as he approached me only to stop at a foot’s distance away from me. He stared at my appearance and I couldn’t help but feel conscious. I know he’s scrutinizing my look and judging it in his head.

“S-stop staring,” I ordered as I averted my gaze from his, the blush on my face growing more intense by the second.

Taehyung was now only inches from me, towering over my smaller frame. I never realized, until now, how tall he really is. Well, I’ve never bothered to look at him in detail ever since anyway.

“You look good,” he said, barely a whisper.

If my jaw was detachable, it would have fallen to the floor right now.

Did I just hear right?

I was left with my mouth agape as Taehyung turned his back on me and began walking toward the door like what he said was not way out of the ordinary. I mean Taehyung just complimented me. He freakin’ praised my appearance. That is not something I would get to hear from him every day.

“Hurry it up. We’re going to be late,” Taehyung called from his shoulder before he went out the door, closing it after which left me alone with Yuna once more.

“What’s wrong?” Yuna asked when she finally noticed the state I was in.

I almost said I’m fine but when I saw my reflection from the mirror on the side, the redness of my face was undeniable. I look like I’ve been out in the sun for hours or like I’ve been showered with a hefty amount of blush on. I am clearly not okay.

“I-it’s nothing.”

Yuna bore the ‘you’re really telling me that’ look but being the considerate and understanding woman that she is, she decided to not pry deeper. Instead, she just heaved out a sigh and moved aside for me to pass.

“It’s almost time. That man isn’t one to wait.”

Tell me about it.

I gave her a nod before making my way out the door. I have my fingers crossed for what’s about to come. I’ve never been with a family besides my own before. Heck, I haven’t even met my high school friends’ parents before so to say I’m anxious wouldn’t be enough. I don’t know what more to describe of my nerves right now. It may not seem obvious from the outside but internally, I’m shaking.

It’s not my goal to impress Taehyung’s family since I don’t even care about their opinion on me anyway. I only agreed on this mostly out of pity and of course, the finances. However, what I do care deeply is my reputation. All I am wishing is that I don’t mess myself up tonight. Knowing my clumsiness, that’s almost impossible but maybe…just maybe…the Heavens above will let this night slip. Maybe I just might get out of this alive and with my pride intact.

~~~~~

I gaped at the gigantic estate Taehyung and his family call home. I always thought stuffs like these only appear on television. It turns out something this grand really does happen in real life.

“Don’t embarrass me,” Taehyung whispered as he walked with me up the stairs which lead to the huge wooden double doors.

“Don’t worry. I don’t plan to embarrass myself either.”

He only nodded in reply before he took a deep breath and adjusted his suit. I know for a fact that he’s as nervous as I am. I’ve never met Taehyung’s grandmother before but I could tell she’s someone even Taehyung himself is afraid of. That’s why I’m praying deeply that my soul will be spared while under her abode.

“Good evening, young master, miss,” the man in a crisp black suit greeted us as we approached the door. According to my estimates, he’s already in his fifties but Taehyung, being the brat that he is, acted like the man isn’t much older than him. He didn’t even turn to return the greeting let alone acknowledge his presence. He continued on walking as if no one was there.

I felt pity for the man. He’s being so polite yet that was what he got in return. Taehyung really is an .

“Good evening to you, too,” I said with a smile plastered on my face. I tried to put on the sweetest look I could muster and I could tell, by the way the man’s face lit up, that my good will was recognized. My dad always told me during my younger years that kindness is contagious and it’s worth more than anything else in the world. His words, then, are what I always hold dear. I always keep it to mind that even if we may not be well off in life, as long as I do good, I’m way better than those with wads of cash in their wallets.

“That was rude of you,” I hissed at Taehyung when I managed to catch up to him, the uncomfortable heels and the slippery marbled floor making it quite difficult to do. If only it’s proper to walk barefoot, I would have done so ever since I stepped foot inside the mansion.

Taehyung stopped and looked at me with an uninterested look. “They work for us. I do as I wish.”

I narrowed my eyes into a glare and puffed my cheeks. And here I thought he has a kind side of him. It turns out that Taehyung only appears in blue moons.

“The least you could do is give them respect. They’re older than you.”

“I’m older than you.”

“I’m not disrespecting you. I’m just reprimanding you because what you did there was obviously impolite.”

Taehyung reciprocated my glare with his own but I’m not one to back down now. I intensified mine and we were left glowering at each other for a good ten seconds before Taehyung decided to break it off and shove the topic aside.

“You know what? I don’t even care.”

He turned his back to me and began walking once more. I felt my insides fume. How dare he casually end things like that. I’m not done yet.

“Oy! Wait up, stupid brat!” I called out in a yell but immediately regretted doing so when my voice echoed across the empty hallway where we were currently in.

Way to go, Yerin. You just made your first mistake of the night.

I mentally slapped myself before I decided to follow Taehyung so as not to fall behind and get lost. I could see how he must have found my embarrassment amusing as his shoulders went up and down, indicating his laughter at my expense. I would have thrown my shoe at him to shut him off but that would only make things worse. The last thing I want is to be questioned by Taehyung’s grandmother as to how her grandson got a huge bump on his head.

~~~~~

I silently thanked the Heavens for blessing Taehyung with broad shoulders- broad enough to cover me- as we made our way inside the huge doors which leads to the dining area. The lump in my throat kept getting bigger as I tried to hold in my nervousness. My heartbeat is racing so fast that it feels like I’m out running a marathon.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter