Chapter XXI

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXI

**YERIN**

I looked at Eunhye in mild horror. It just registered in my mind, what she said. Yes, I urged her to ask. Yes, I assured her of an answer. But no, I am not going to entertain what Eunhye just brought up. Aside from the fact that it’s too…I don’t know…personal, Taehyung’s here. He also heard what Eunhye said, loud and clear, for he, too, is rendered speechless. Would you believe it? We are both at a loss of words by a seven-year-old kid.

“Unnie?”

Eunhye gave my side a little poke as I continued to gape at nothing. My mind already processed everything. It just didn’t feel the need to respond.

“Unnie?”

“Uhmm…Eunhye…”

It’s Taehyung. He’s calling her.

I honestly felt a bit of relief hearing him. That means to say that I won’t have to deal with answering Eunhye. I know I’m playing it safe but it’s the best I can do. I have a really bad feeling about what Eunhye would say once she knows Taehyung and I haven’t kissed. And when it comes to her, my intuition is never wrong. I know Eunhye like the back of my hand. I could easily imagine the exact words she’d say after I tell her that we haven’t kissed, not once and not ever, and believe me. It is not something Taehyung and I would both like.

“Yes, oppa?”

I could hear Taehyung take slow steps toward us before I saw him place the bags as he took the seat he left empty a while ago. He turned Eunhye by the shoulders so that she was now facing him, and I could only but watch the scene, not knowing what to do to help in the situation.

“Are you aware that what you just asked your unnie is something personal? It should be kept a secret.”

I can’t see Eunhye’s face but I’m sure she’s pouting right now. That’s what she always does whenever her mistakes are pointed out. It’s like she feels that if she acts cute, everything will be alright. She’d be forgiven. Trust me. I’ve fallen for her trap way too many times to know this.

“But my friend’s sister always shares stories about her boyfriend to my friend. I like unnie to tell me stories about the two of you, too, so that I can share them with my friends as well. I’m sure they’ll like me more.”

Ah, yes. Peer pressure. Had I guessed Eunhye was doing all of these to impress her friends, then I would not have talked her into opening up the topic. Now, everything is just one big mess.

Taehyung beamed at Eunhye, something I didn’t know he was capable of doing. Well, there is still a lot I haven’t discovered about him, so it’s not a shock to see him do weird things once in a while. Plus, he’s an alien who happens to like kids. It’s normal for him to try and cheer Eunhye up.

“You know what would make them like you more?”

Eunhye shook her head which signaled Taehyung to continue, the smile still adorning his good-looking face. To be honest, he looks more dashing if he puts on that kind of expression. I always wonder what it would take for him to be happy all the time. He seems so cold, so distant from the world around him despite his constant interactions with other people. Sometimes, I’d like to imagine a different kind of Taehyung, a better and more positive one.

“Brand new toys!” he exclaimed before he began to tickle Eunhye’s sides which made her explode into a fit of laughter.

I stared at the two with a tender heart. It was such a sight to see Taehyung this cheery. Maybe his love for children could be one of the solutions to his depressing state of living. Maybe his grandmother is right about needing him to have his own child since she may have known about his love for children as well. Of course, when I say that, that excludes me from the picture. Taehyung could have his child, but it would not have to be mine.

“You brought me toys?” Eunhye asked with pure excitement in her voice. I know she’s thrilled right now. Growing up in a not-so financially stable family means she rarely receives new toys. In fact, the only time Eunhye is given toys that little girls love is when I manage to save some extra from my monthly salary back when I still worked at Boss’ Café. It’s hard for her especially when I see her play with the other kids and she’d go to them empty handed because she doesn’t have anything to offer them, but Eunhye’s smart. She understands, and she doesn’t push it. That’s what makes her so special. At such a young age, she could grasp the things that are going on in our household.

“Lots and lots of toys and I’ll surely be back to add more.”

“Is that a promise?”

Eunhye held out her pinky finger for Taehyung to take. I was expecting him to ignore the gesture, but I was caught wrong when he grinned and intertwined his pinky finger with Eunhye’s.

“It’s a promise.”

“Yay!”

Taehyung glanced at me and I gave him a sincere smile. I’m sure it’s not easy for him to make that kind of promise since we both know it’s a hassle for him. The role he’s playing in front of Eunhye is all part of the act. He’s not the oppa she deems him to be. He’s not my boyfriend as she knows.

“Does that mean I’d see unnie again after today?”

It was my turn to stare at Taehyung to see his reaction. It didn’t even take him a second to nod.

“Of course, she’d be here,” he said before eyeing me. “Right, Yerin-ah?”

I stopped breathing for a split second. Did he just call me with an endearment?

“Y-yeah.”

I faked a grin at Eunhye who was now looking at me with hopeful eyes. She’s too cute to disappoint. Well, here am I again, falling for her charms. And I thought I was already well-aware and immune.

“Now, why don’t you peek inside the bags and see what’s inside?”

Eunhye gave a curt nod before jumping out of the bed toward the bags on the floor. She sat on her knees and grabbed the first one that’s nearest to her. Her small frame looked so little compared to the huge bag before her. As she retrieved what was inside, it looks like the bag was engulfing her. The sight makes me all soft and mushy inside.

“It’s a doll!” Eunhye bursted out in glee while trying to remove the said toy from the bag. She almost tripped as she pulled the doll out had Taehyung not aided her at the right moment.

The doll was about half of Eunhye’s size and I’m not sure if it’s coincidence or Taehyung has asked her during his visit, but the doll was wearing a bright green dress, Eunhye’s favorite color. It had an innocent-looking face too with light brown hair and pale skin. In addition, its details look so intricate, so well-crafted. One could tell that it really didn’t come off cheap. Well, that’s Taehyung for you. He doesn’t like to hold back on his expenses.

“Do you like it?’ Taehyung questioned as he was now sitting cross-legged on the floor, facing Eunhye who was grinning from ear to ear while she hugged her new doll. She looked really delighted that I can’t help but share the happiness with her.

“I love it. Thank you so much, oppa!”

“Wait until you see what other things I got for you.”

It took Eunhye a good ten minutes to sort through all the presents. Taehyung really went all out with her, giving away new dresses, toy tea sets, hair accessories, and even shoes. If I hadn’t known better, I’d say today is Eunhye’s birthday. She’s bombarded with so many new stuffs that it makes me wonder if Taehyung really won’t deduct these from my upcoming pay. I hope not.

“So, is Eunhye happy with the things she got?” Taehyung inquired while he tied the shoelace on Eunhye’s shoes which she begged to try on.

Eunhye nodded with much enthusiasm as she continued to comb her doll’s hair with her fingers. Ever since she got the toy, she hasn’t let go of it. I can’t blame her though. She’s never had a doll like this. In fact, the only doll she has is the one mom handsewn for her during her fourth birthday. It’s old and wrinkled now, so she no longer plays with it.

“Eunhye is beyond happy! Thank you!” she replied before tackling Taehyung in her famous bear hug. They both stumbled backwards, and Taehyung instinctively placed his arm around Eunhye to protect her from the fall. She seemed unhurt because of the giggles she gave us while she remained glued to Taehyung’s form. I couldn’t say the same for Taehyung though. It looked like he hit the bedside table as I heard a slight thud when they fell.

If Taehyung was hurt, Eunhye was unaware of it. “I’m going to show mom and dad what I got!” she said before quickly standing up and making a dash for the door.

“Be careful with the stairs!” I shouted which I’m not sure if she heard or not.

Once we were alone, I hurriedly stood up and approached Taehyung who was now massaging an area of his back, probably the part that took the hit.

“Are you okay?” I asked with worry. The last thing I want is for him to sue me and my family. I mean he did spend a lot for my siblings and in return, all he got is a bruise on the back.

“I’m fine,” he said, and I reached out to touch his back only for him to wince. He clearly is not fine as he says he is.

“I’ll go get an ice pack.”

Before I could even take a step, Taehyung had his hand circling my arm, stopping me from leaving. Here he is and his stubbornness again.

“I said I’m fine.”

I frowned at him. We both know he’s hurting. He’s just too proud to admit it.

“C’mon, Taehyung. You’re hurt. At least let me help you with it…as payment for the stuffs you bought for the twins and Eunhye.”

He grew silent as he contemplated on my word. I know he’s going to give in anyway, but I decided to wait for him to say it.

“Fine.”

I gave him a grateful smile before I left for the kitchen. I’m certain mom is going to reprimand me for allowing Taehyung to get hurt as soon as she notices me retrieving an ice pack, but I’ll try to bear with it.

~~~~~

I returned with the prepared ice pack in one hand and a towel on the other. Taehyung was now sitting silently on the floor, tracing circles on the floor’s carpet like a bored five-year-old.

“Lift your shirt up,” I commanded, and Taehyung looked at me, a mixture of shock and wonder on his face. I soon realized how bold and wrong that sounded, so I waved my hand to dismiss whatever thoughts he was brewing in his mind.

“That’s not what you think. I was just…”

I was cut off by Taehyung’s chuckle before he began to do as I said, smirking in the process. I felt my face heat up. I’ve never seen a guy shirtless before. That is if you exclude my dad, but still. I am not ready for this.

“I-I’ll just leave. I’m positive you can do it yourself,” I said, turning away to face the other direction. If I’m madly blushing now, I don’t want him to see it although he already knows how embarrassed I am at this moment.

I handed over the towel and ice pack without looking at Taehyung and I waited for him to take it, but he didn’t. Instead, he pulled at my wrist and muttered, “I could but I won’t.”

Okay, now he’s just playing with me.

“Let go.”

“Don’t want to.”

I swear this guy’s begging to be hit. I could add more bruises to his back if he like, and I won’t even feel sorry for it. I feel so embarrassed right now and he’s mocking me for it.

“Kim Taehyung, let go.”

“I said I don’t want to.”

“If you…wah!”

I felt gravity weigh me down as I was dragged to the floor by Taehyung. I shut my eyes for the fall I’m about to make with the floor, but it never came. Rather, I felt my bottom hit a softer surface. It took me a few second to realize that I have just landed on Taehyung’s lap. I would have made a mad dash for it, but he was quick to stop me by circling an arm around my waist.

“You’re not going anywhere,” he teased while he took the ice pack and towel with his other hand and placed it aside. “You know I’m having fun seeing you all flustered. It would be a waste if you leave.”

“Let go. What would the others say when they see us in this position?!”

“They’d think we’re having a good time.”

I punched Taehyung’s arm, but it seemed to have no effect as his grip still didn’t come loose. His arm was still tight around my frame, giving me no chances of escaping.

“What do you want?” I asked, annoyed. I really don’t like it when he makes fun of me this way. It makes me feel weak and helpless.

“I’ll let go if you stay to tend to my bruise.”

I frowned. He really is such a kid. He could have just asked in a more proper way rather than putting me in this kind of awkward position.

“Fine. Now, let go.”

I wriggled from his grip and he released me a few seconds after. I turned to face him as soon as I stood up and he was sitting there with a victorious smile on his face. It made me want to punch him so bad, but I tried to think back to last night’s memory again. I know behind this cheery façade is a pessimistic boy, trying to appear happy in front of others. The thought caused me to snap out of my mild anger and sigh at him instead. The only thing I can do now is to try and understand him.

I picked up the ice pack without saying anything and climbed to the bed, just behind Taehyung before tapping him on the back. He got what I meant and immediately lifted his shirt to reveal his . I swallowed a huge lump in my throat as I watched him semi-undress himself and I curse the world for making it seem like everything was in slow motion as he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter