Chapter XXIV

Collide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER XXIV

**YERIN**

What the did I just say?!

I continued to slap myself hard on the face as it finally sank in to me that I have just promised Taehyung’s mom to find Taehyung when I have no single idea on where to start looking. I don’t even have a car with me and it’s heavily raining nonstop outside. Amidst everything, the way Taehyung’s mom sounded when she heard my reply and the endless ‘thank you’ she gave me felt a bit of a relief. At least I know her worry’s been lessened, but of course, I’m in no position to be happy still because I just volunteered to sacrifice my sleep time to look for a lost alien. Can’t we just call NASA instead? I’m sure they can detect him with all their techy stuffs.

I chuckled to myself. I’m getting almost hysterical just by thinking about the task I need to do.

“Jung Yerin, you really need to stop being so selfless sometimes,” I told myself as I kicked the blanket away and went over to my closet. I decided not to change my outfit anymore because I’m too tired to do so. Instead, I grabbed a jacket and put it on before I went out of my room and headed downstairs.

I don’t know what’s so special about Taehyung that made him deserve all these efforts I’m putting but he better be damn grateful for it. I’m risking not only my time here but also my life. Who knows what could happen to me in this kind of weather.

“I clearly have the right to claim additional pay for this,” I said to no one as I grabbed an umbrella from the side before stepping out of the door after ensuring that it’s been securely locked.

I quivered right away as soon as I was exposed to the cold air of the outside. The jacket was obviously not helping me that much in keeping warm. I could still feel the chilly night air and my bones are still shivering.

“This is not what I asked for when I signed that damn contract,” I continued to mumble, as if Taehyung could hear me, while slowly walking toward the nearest bus stop. I reckoned I should take my time there to decide where to look first, and obviously, I need a bus to get me to certain places because I don’t own a car unlike the certain alien who’s acting like an immature rebel teen, wanting attention. Well, congratulations. He just got what he wanted.

“I hate him,” I said like saying it would help me feel better despite my situation. Unfortunately, it didn’t.

“He should just go to hell.”

I continued rambling complains about Taehyung all the while also walking toward the bus stop. I could go back and sleep but that would mean not keeping my words to Taehyung’s mom. That isn’t me at all. I always stick to my promises and that’s what I have to do even if there’s no easy way to do it.

I shook off droplets of water from my umbrella before setting it down to my side as soon as I reached shelter under the bus stop. I took a seat at the empty bench and realized that the drunkard who usually sleeps at this area isn’t even here. I guess he’s sane enough to stay at home at this bad weather.

“What did I do to deserve this?” I asked hopelessly at the sky, as my mind began to think of places where Taehyung might be.

After a while of contemplating, I decided that I should ask someone for help as I don’t really think I’ll be getting anywhere alone, so I called Jimin. I thank God that he gave me his phone number back at the party. I hate to call him since I’m not exactly fond of him and we aren’t exactly that close nor are we even friends, but in moments of desperation like this, I just have to.

I don’t know if it’s still luck working for me, but he answered within three rings and I almost sighed in relief.

“Yerin-ssi?”

“Jimin?”

“Yeah, it’s me. It’s the middle of the night. Do you need anything? I reckon you don’t want to just chitchat.”

“It’s about Taehyung,” I said, straight to the point. I don’t want to prolong talking to Jimin. Besides, he could be in bed by now and I just disturbed him.

“What about him?”

“He’s not at home yet. His mother’s getting worried. I need to look for him. Do you have any idea on where he could be?”

There was silence for a moment as Jimin was probably thinking of possible places Taehyung would want to hide in. After a while, I then heard a shuffling of feet before Jimin spoke.

“Tell me where you are. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

~~~~~

I waited for about ten minutes before a red convertible parked before me. It had its hood up for protection from the rain, but I don’t even have to ask to know who’s inside. Only an obviously rich person could afford such a ride.

“Get in,” Jimin said after rolling down the window and his face went into view. Unlike me, he was dressed rather appropriately for the weather with some pants on and a thick hoodie to go with it. He must have noticed my attire too because he looked at me from head to toe but decided not to comment despite the odd expression on his face as he looked away.

I hurriedly slid inside his car and buckled my seatbelt.

Once Jimin saw that I was settled, he began his ignition and started driving. I don’t even know where he was going but I get the impression that he knows where Taehyung might be.

“He was upset at something back at the party, right?” Jimin asked while maintaining his focus on the road ahead.

I nodded even though he probably can’t see. “I’m not sure what he’s upset about though. He won’t tell but Jungkook told me it was about something he said accidentally.”

“Aaaah.”

The way Jimin sounded tells me he knows what it is right away, and it made me wonder. Am I the only one in this world who doesn’t know what they’re all talking about?

“Knowing that, it’ll be hard for us to look for him.”

“Why?”

“When he’s mad, he usually just drives around carelessly. He gets himself to places where even he doesn’t know where,” Jimin said with a chuckle right after.

I glared. Does he think what I’m doing is some kind of joke?

“It’s even quite a shock his mom called you to look for him because usually, when he goes missing, we just leave him be and he shows up the day after, sick and hungry.”

“And that’s something to laugh about?” I said, annoyed at how Jimin is taking such a serious matter so lightly. Taehyung could get hurt for all we know and he’s here acting like it’s nothing to worry about. Of course, even if I hate Taehyung, he still deserves to be cared for.

Jimin only snickered and I felt the building up anger inside of me boil even more. This guy really gets into my nerves, second to Taehyung, that is.

“You’re really something, Yerin-ssi. I wonder how you met Taehyung and got him to like you with that feisty attitude.”

I’m not sure where he’s getting with that kind of statement, but I could feel it. He’s hinting at something.

~~~~~

We were driving for almost half an hour now but there was still no sign of Taehyung anywhere. I even tried my hardest to open my eyes wide for any figure that could be him on the road despite the drowsiness I’m feeling. All I want now is to lie in bed and sleep but I don’t think that’s possible since we still have no progress with our search and the rain is showing no signs of stopping anytime soon.

Jimin must have also felt sleepy because we stopped at a local convenience store and he told me to wait for him as he went out to buy something. When he returned not long after, he was already carrying two cups of coffee and a few snacks to go with it.

“For energy,” he said, and we quietly sat there for a few minutes, sipping hot coffee at around two in the morning.

“You must be close with Taehyung,” I said, disrupting the silence between us. Jimin turned to me and gave slight shrug of his shoulder.

“I guess you could put it that way. We’ve been friends since we were toddlers.”

I nodded my head and it was only after a second that I noticed the shift in Jimin’s mood before he added, “But I think he distanced himself from me these past few years. I can’t blame him though. He may have felt somehow betrayed when I didn’t entirely side with him during his worst times.”

What he said was still hazy to me, but I didn’t bother to ask him to elaborate. Knowing bits and pieces of the entire story once in a while will probably get me to understand everything. I just need to be patient.

I hummed before taking another sip from my cup as if I get exactly what he was saying, and I think Jimin was actually glad I did it. I know he doesn’t want to talk about it further so dropping the topic was a relief for him.

“Why are you doing this?” Jimin asked as soon as an air of silence began to envelop us once again. I’m thinking he doesn’t like staying quiet that much.

“Doing what exactly?”

He snickered. “Don’t mess with me. I know you’re not really Taehyung’s fiancée. Heck, it’d be a miracle if some girl could penetrate through him. So, I’ll ask again. Why are you doing this? Why are you teaming up with him?”

I was left dumbfounded. Were we really that obvious? If Jimin sensed it, then, maybe the others have as well.

Jimin chuckled. I must look funny enough for him.

“Don’t worry. I think I’m the only one who noticed. I am Taehyung’s closest friend after all. I also know Jungkook and Yuna are on this because Yuna’s always the observant and cautious one and she seems to be so comfortable with you. I’m just curious why you’re doing what you’re doing now, putting up with someone like Taehyung.”

I sighed. There’s just no escape in this one. The only thing I could do is explain, at least my side of the story.

“He offered finances and I’m in need of money for my family.”

Jimin nodded knowingly. “So, he hired you. Is that right?”

It was my turn to nod. “But that’s not all there is to it though, now that I met his grandmother.”

That somehow interested him because he shifted his position so that he was now directly facing me. A smirk was tugging on his lips and it made me wonder what that’s supposed to signify.

“Why? What happened with his grandmother that made your purpose change?”

I positioned myself better in my seat while I organized my thoughts. It may be hard to explain but I’ll try.

“She told me about Taehyung before, about how he’s so much different than the Taehyung now and I don’t know really. I just felt like it’s my responsibility to bring him back to the Taehyung he once was. Maybe it’s because I pity his grandmother or maybe there’s another reason to it. I’m not sure.”

“Maybe you’re starting to like Taehyung and you want him to make himself better.”

I almost spat out the coffee I was sipping to Jimin’s face when I heard his ridiculous reply. I don’t know where in the hell he got that idea from but let me say this. I do not like Taehyung. Never does and never will.

“The hell?!”

Jimin let out a hearty laugh. I glared at him. What is wrong with these rich people? Why do they think the embarrassment of someone is something amusing to see?

“That was just a joke. You don’t have to take it seriously,” he said, giving my shoulder a little pat before he inserted his key and started the car’s engine. The vehicle roared to life and in a matter of seconds, he began driving once again while I was left there, still recovering from that silly attempt of a joke.

That was definitely not funny.

~~~~~

“He’s still not picking up,” I said as I turned my phone off to save some battery life as it was already running low and we still need to get in contact with Taehyung later, if ever he decided to pick up. After calling his phone for more than ten times, I’ve been sent straight to voice mail for the same number of times.

“Try leaving him a message,” Jimin suggested. It was also there in his eyes, the disappointment of not being able to reach Taehyung. He may not show it directly to my face or he may not admit it but I’m certain he’s worried about Taehyung as well. Maybe he’s even more worried than I am.

I heaved a sigh and pressed ‘call’ once more. It rang for a few times before the audio for leaving a voice mail began to play. I waited for the beep to come and when it did, I breathed in deeply and began.

“Oy, alien,” I said, and I swear I heard Jimin chuckle, but I continued to speak anyway. “You know you’re such a pain in the , right? I would probably be asleep in my bed right

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter